DMB Live at Brixton DVD/Blu-Ray...is it true? - Page 2 - Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion

Go Back   Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion > General Discussion > DMBc Discussion
Register Rules Community Top Lists Torrents AM.org

Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here

Old 07-15-2009, 07:41 PM   #31
chumm41
Power to stage left

Shows Seen: 68

DMB Hub Stubs: 24

My Tour Central Stats

Re: DMB Live at Brixton DVD/Blu-Ray...is it true?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceW View Post
why are these shows getting so much shit? who gives a damn if they play those songs almost every night...we are getting a dvd/blue ray whatever of possibly 2 full shows that have almost all big whiskey songs and some other greats including liog, billies, so damn lucky, bdth, jimi, pnp>rapunzel, two step etc...stfu and be happy we have a band that even thinks of releasing stuff like this in such stellar quality video
agree, couldnt have said it any better

• Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here
  • Old 07-15-2009, 07:42 PM   #32
    iancontijoch

Shows Seen: 6

DMB Hub Stubs: 7

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by spoot388 View Post
    EVERYBODY knew that SPAC N2 was going to be a great show, and guess what, IT WAS!! and everyone knows that Alpine and Jones Beach are going to be great too, and Camden is going to be amazing. even a disappointing Camden will be better than Brixton.

so yes, i can say that a show that hasn't happened yet will be better, because they're going to be. Brixton was a very underwhelming set of shows. they're not that hard to beat. I'd be willing to bet that we'll see a handful of SINGLE night shows that end up being better than these two.
    You, sir, are a champion of logic.
    iancontijoch is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-15-2009, 07:43 PM   #33
    nieds05
    Go Big Red!

Shows Seen: 35

DMB Hub Stubs: 17

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by DMBzilla View Post
    Of course after what the band broke out at SPAC and Starlake we get this as a release. I seriously don't think they have any concept for what the fans actually want.
    It is understandable for a Video release they have to plan ahead, if this was only audio I'd be a little upset.
    Old 07-15-2009, 07:44 PM   #34
    FunkyTeaParty41

Shows Seen: 49

DMB Hub Stubs: 22

My Tour Central Stats

sounds true

http://twitter.com/schmuel44
    FunkyTeaParty41 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-15-2009, 07:47 PM   #35
    KDuffy

Shows Seen: 27

DMB Hub Stubs: 13

My Tour Central Stats

I'm definitely happy that we're getting a release on Blu Ray with songs from Big Whiskey. I know I'm not alone when I say I wish another show was going to be released, but with both nights combined, there are some pretty solid songs that I most certainly look forward to watching in HD BluRay
    KDuffy is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-15-2009, 07:48 PM   #36
    BruceW

Shows Seen: 61

My Tour Central Stats

oh not to mention a #41 in which we KNOW carter and jeff tore up...there is a lot of great music on those dvds right there...maybe not a rare set or whatever but how would that sell?
    random passerby: hmm new dmb dvd...wtf is blue water, halloween, song that jane likes, pig, last stop, spoon????? wtf are these names?...nvm i think ill just get the new best of michael jackson dance moves dvd

sure we would freak out over a release like that, but its terrible for business, they wouldn't make nearly as much money, its just a fact of business
    BruceW is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-15-2009, 07:50 PM   #37
    gorgefan29

Shows Seen: 89

DMB Hub Stubs: 26

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by btpeters View Post
    Live in LONDON or Live at ALPINE...which do you think sells more copies and appeals to the masses...really...c'mon...
    Are you kidding the masses will eat the ALPINE DVD up for breakfast, that's what we've been waiting for anyway, doesn't matter what the setlist is. Look at the history of ALPINE buddy, the energy of the crowd alone will sell it. People will go ape shit if that ever happens, this post would have been on page 50 instead of page 2

Last edited by gorgefan29; 07-15-2009 at 07:52 PM.
    gorgefan29 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-15-2009, 07:51 PM   #38
    bannar7

Shows Seen: 19

DMB Hub Stubs: 12

My Tour Central Stats

definitly excited for this release. too bad i dont have a blu-ray!
    bannar7 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-15-2009, 07:51 PM   #39
    spoot388

Shows Seen: 94

DMB Hub Stubs: 27

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:

also...the set is somewhat catered generically...so a common person can be like...'woah ants marching AND funny AND everday AND gravedigger! I think i might pick this up! sad but true

still...i think this is awesome...AND a blu-ray release is EVEN BETTER! This could also hopefully kick in gear them remastering LS, CP, Folsom and Piedmont for BD release too!

but the thing is, Ants, Funny, Everyday, and the other songs casual fans know, they're all played at the other venues too. i did a comparison between Brixton and Pittsburgh and Brixton had a total of ONE more casual fan song than Pitt had. the release is still going to have a lot of songs they never heard of before. so why NOT release the show that has songs like Jane, Typical, and Halloween??

Quote:
    Live in LONDON or Live at ALPINE...which do you think sells more copies and appeals to the masses...really...c'mon...

so when Britney Spears releases Live in Madrid you're going to buy it??

it doesn't matter WHERE it is, its WHO it is. it could be "DMB: Live at the Throop Cow Flop" for all i care. and if they played Ants and Everyday and Crush and Funny, it'll still sell.

Quote:
    why are these shows getting so much shit? who gives a damn if they play those songs almost every night...we are getting a dvd/blue ray whatever of possibly 2 full shows that have almost all big whiskey songs and some other greats including liog, billies, so damn lucky, bdth, jimi, pnp>rapunzel, two step etc...stfu and be happy we have a band that even thinks of releasing stuff like this in such stellar quality video
    they're getting so much shit because there is nothing from them we couldn't have gotten from some other set of shows. we're going to get every BW songs at every 2 night stand, and they're still going to play LIOG and Billies and Watchtower and Rapunzel. but why not release the shows with songs that DON'T get played everywhere else?
    Old 07-15-2009, 07:52 PM   #40
    BruceW

My Tour Central Stats

if dmb starts releasing other stuff on bluray i will buy a player eventually...and get some other movies as well...i hear its a real treat
    Old 07-15-2009, 07:52 PM   #41
    SeanMH
    GoWokeGoBroke

Shows Seen: 87

My Tour Central Stats

A lot of repeats, but I'll still buy it.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Klize17 View Post
    Last nights was the best version of Satellite I have ever heard.
    SeanMH is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-15-2009, 07:53 PM   #42
    Sniper15

Shows Seen: 115

DMB Hub Stubs: 29

My Tour Central Stats

Is it a dvd with both nights or a compilation dvd? I prefer entire shows to comp dvds
    Old 07-15-2009, 07:54 PM   #43
    BruceW

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    but the thing is, Ants, Funny, Everyday, and the other songs casual fans know, they're all played at the other venues too. i did a comparison between Brixton and Pittsburgh and Brixton had a total of ONE more casual fan song than Pitt had. the release is still going to have a lot of songs they never heard of before. so why NOT release the show that has songs like Jane, Typical, and Halloween??

so when Britney Spears releases Live in Madrid you're going to buy it??

it doesn't matter WHERE it is, its WHO it is. it could be "DMB: Live at the Throop Cow Flop" for all i care. and if they played Ants and Everyday and Crush and Funny, it'll still sell.

they're getting so much shit because there is nothing from them we couldn't have gotten from some other set of shows. we're going to get every BW songs at every 2 night stand, and they're still going to play LIOG and Billies and Watchtower and Rapunzel. but why not release the shows with songs that DON'T get played everywhere else?
    dude...they pre-pick where they are going to record these dvds...they dont wait until the set is over and say lets release that on dvd...they do that for audio but cant for video...we will get a hardcore fan release one day...but if we get 2 full shows??? wow i feel blessed
    Old 07-15-2009, 08:02 PM   #44
    DmBand801
    Schneider!

Shows Seen: 37

DMB Hub Stubs: 16

My Tour Central Stats

I'd buy it.
    Brady is not going to let the crappier younger brother of Fat Forehead beat him in anything. Period.
    DmBand801 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-15-2009, 08:03 PM   #45
    spoot388

Shows Seen: 94

DMB Hub Stubs: 27

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    dude...they pre-pick where they are going to record these dvds...they dont wait until the set is over and say lets release that on dvd...they do that for audio but cant for video...we will get a hardcore fan release one day...but if we get 2 full shows??? wow i feel blessed

i know they pre-pick where they are going to do this, but filming a good show isn't rocket science. everyone knows SPAC, Alpine, and the other big 2 night stands get some really good shows. and it should have been pretty obivous that the Euro shows weren't going to be anything special. so what is so hard about saying "hey, they tend to play some amazing shows *here* and *here*, why don't we film one of those?" and then how about that, we have a SPAC or Alpine or Camden or Deer Creek release. i'll go on record right now and say that Scranton will be a more interesting and exciting show than both Brixton shows.
    Old 07-15-2009, 08:03 PM   #46
    DmBand801
    Schneider!

Shows Seen: 37

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Sniper15 View Post
    Is it a dvd with both nights or a compilation dvd? I prefer entire shows to comp dvds
    me too - I hope to God this won't be a compilation dvd.
    Brady is not going to let the crappier younger brother of Fat Forehead beat him in anything. Period.
    DmBand801 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-15-2009, 08:07 PM   #47
    BruceW

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    i know they pre-pick where they are going to do this, but filming a good show isn't rocket science. everyone knows SPAC, Alpine, and the other big 2 night stands get some really good shows. and it should have been pretty obivous that the Euro shows weren't going to be anything special. so what is so hard about saying "hey, they tend to play some amazing shows *here* and *here*, why don't we film one of those?" and then how about that, we have a SPAC or Alpine or Camden or Deer Creek release. i'll go on record right now and say that Scranton will be a more interesting and exciting show than both Brixton shows.
    i believe you and agree with you bud but its their "european vacation" haha so i mean they are still special shows to alot of people all over the world...i definitely agree about SPAC, Alpine, etc but we just will have to keep waiting...it will come
    Old 07-15-2009, 08:13 PM   #48
    mariocarton

Shows Seen: 45

DMB Hub Stubs: 18

My Tour Central Stats

like it or not... it's a great marketing move on their part (i mean i would much rather have the cd release of spac n2), it gives the european fans a feeling that the band cares about them over there

plus the big fans will buy it no matter where the concert was and it might get some of the people that went to that show to become bigger fans if they can have a dvd of most likely their first concert... it will also help spread their music over there too

Last edited by mariocarton; 07-15-2009 at 08:15 PM.
    mariocarton is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-15-2009, 08:17 PM   #49
    wasder

Shows Seen: 0

DMB Hub Stubs: 1

My Tour Central Stats

For some factual information: I was asked to shoot these two shows for POSSIBLE DVD release. I don't know yet if it will be all of both nights, one night or a compilation (or in fact if it will come out at all). It is not up to me how it gets released or in what format. IF it does come out as a disc it seems highly likely that it would be a blu-ray release ala Radio City. The idea about shooting at Brixton was that it was a smaller (and rock historic) venue where we might get a different kind of live show release (when compared to the many "BIG EVENT" DVDs the band has already done), a more intimate show that really focused on musicianship and energy above the spectacle. The fact that it was in London also I think was interesting from a broader marketing perspective but that is not my department. Again, it is not up to me how or even whether this gets released at all. I enjoyed shooting something with DMB in a space like that and hope that it comes out well. That's about all I can accurately say at this point.
    wasder is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-15-2009, 08:18 PM   #50
    RobRoy286

Shows Seen: 1

DMB Hub Stubs: 3

My Tour Central Stats

There best be a CD
    RobRoy286 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-15-2009, 08:18 PM   #51
    AmazonRob

Shows Seen: 12

DMB Hub Stubs: 7

My Tour Central Stats

Here's hoping a CD companion set comes as well. Very little time to sit and watch DMB, but you can't stop me from spinning their albums daily.
    AmazonRob is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-15-2009, 08:19 PM   #52
    MP483

Shows Seen: 0

DMB Hub Stubs: 1

My Tour Central Stats

Guys listen to the tape of N2. Unbelievable performance wise. I've watched youtube videos of N1 and N2 and each performance has been great. Not to mention Dave's voice sounded spot on. I'd take performance over setlist any day. Hypothetically, would you want rare songs with bad voice like the end of the 1st half of the US summer tour, or Two Step and LIOG great voice and performance? I am most excited about getting all of the Big Whiskey songs on DVD. I want new shit. Not the same old stuff that we have seen over and over again. Tim and Jeff and the band playing the best they've had in years in a small, intimate venue says it all really.

Last edited by MP483; 07-15-2009 at 08:24 PM.
    MP483 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-15-2009, 08:29 PM   #53
    mja271
    Big Mike

Shows Seen: 24

DMB Hub Stubs: 14

My Tour Central Stats

I'm not really complaining because I know I will buy this and likely enjoy it. But two contrasting points that I want to make in terms of things I hear frequently. I hate when people say that they'd rather have a great performance of Two Step, etc. over a mediocre performance of Stone, Typical, etc. Why is it always phrased like that? The performances of Stone and other rare ones are tight as hell especially this tour. It just seems to me that in defense of not-extraordinary set lists, people act as if any rare set would be performed somewhat poorly. Secondly, in terms of certain venues selling more than others, they could easily take something like Live @ SPAC and give it a name, ala Listener Supported and just as many people would buy it as Live in London. I don't think people see the CD and go "holy shit! Live in London, I need to have that!" I just don't see how that's a big selling point.

Either way, I would've preferred something different, but I'm sure the production on this will be top notch and based on the way their performances have been lately, I'm sure they will be great on this. I do think however that it's not necessarily a great idea to release shows that took place only a month or so after BW came out. The songs will be so much tighter in just another few months. Oh well, I'll reserve full judgment until I see/hear it.
    Say a prayer for my soul seņorita
    mja271 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-15-2009, 08:33 PM   #54
    dsnowey3
    Nova' Nation

Shows Seen: 41

My Tour Central Stats

Management will obviously release a dvd with the songs that they will play night in and night out. That way some kid goes to a show to get drunk...remembers hearing an awesome song, sees it on the dvd and buys it.

hes not gonna buy it when he sees halloween on it. and in most cases...the majority here would buy it no matter what the set is.
    Old 07-15-2009, 08:33 PM   #55
    rwwest7

Shows Seen: 10

DMB Hub Stubs: 9

My Tour Central Stats

Doesn't everyone know the Beacon Theatre show is already unnofficialy out on DVD and sounds great and has a lot of BW songs?
    rwwest7 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-15-2009, 08:35 PM   #56
    two-by-twostep

Shows Seen: 16

DMB Hub Stubs: 9

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by DMBzilla View Post
    Of course after what the band broke out at SPAC and Starlake we get this as a release. I seriously don't think they have any concept for what the fans actually want.
    I was at SPAC n2 and as incredible as the show was, Dave's voice wasn't that great. I don't know how good his voice was/how good the performances were for the Brixton shows - can anyone compare SPAC/Starlake to Brixton??
    two-by-twostep is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-15-2009, 08:36 PM   #57
    jeremypaco

Shows Seen: 149

DMB Hub Stubs: 28

My Tour Central Stats

i was at the 02 show's, and if you weren't there you don't understand how great it was! The dvd won't even do a justice! Such a great and intimate venue, plus two great nights of songs! Lie in Our Graves with the reprise (after a too much fake!), an amazing All Along the Watchtower, I'll be There tribuute! So the people who are being negative to this being a dvd release, try and be a little positive! Any dvd would be great, so don't be say it's gonna suck just because you weren't there!
    jeremypaco is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-15-2009, 08:45 PM   #58
    MOWJO8185

Shows Seen: 9

DMB Hub Stubs: 8

My Tour Central Stats

this will be a solid release. My major priority for 2009 releases is getting BWGGK songs released, and those songs were further along in Europe than they were during the first leg. We'll get at least one other 2009 show released as a LT. Hopefully some other goodies will show up there.
    MOWJO8185 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-15-2009, 08:58 PM   #59
    Faz#41
    CouldIHaveBeen..?

Shows Seen: 86

DMB Hub Stubs: 25

My Tour Central Stats

Mmmm i might just watch my Beacon Show on High Def and save 60 bucks
    Twitter=EatDrinkBeMerri
    Faz#41 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-15-2009, 09:03 PM   #60
    willndmb

Shows Seen: 105

DMB Hub Stubs: 24

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by carter41dmb View Post
    Why do people not understand that a DVD release must be planned in ADVANCE of the show happening. They just cant go and release SPAC on DVD because in retrospect they were great shows. THEY WERENT FILMED.
    negative grasshopper
    EVERY show is taped
    the difference is they are taped as the mix you see on the screens
    where as a planned release is taped as each camera angle and mixed after the fact

so they could in fact release pretty much any show from yrs were they had cameras shooting and mixing it on the screens
    ie the proshot dvds that were "leaked"

ps
    i wouldn't be shocked if they actually saved the single angles from the screen mix too, but last i heard it was only the final mix saved
    willndmb is offline   Reply With Quote