New Boyd Interview - Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion

Go Back   Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion > General Discussion > DMBc Discussion
Register Rules Community Top Lists Torrents AM.org

Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here

Old 07-25-2017, 08:05 AM   #1
Cscottrun

Shows Seen: 100

DMB Hub Stubs: 27

My Tour Central Stats

New Boyd Interview

Quote:
It’s time for Boyd Tinsley’s annual trip to Tampa. Only this year, for the first time since 2011 — and only the third since 1998 — he won’t be coming with the Dave Matthews Band.

The group’s decision to spend Summer 2017 off the road enabled Tinsley, the group’s violinist, to tour with with Crystal Garden, a jam-rock group playing the Attic in Ybor City on Thursday and Friday. That’s exactly one year since DMB’s last concert in Tampa, and around the same time they play here every year.

“We were just looking for a routing that made sense for the tour that these guys were on, and it just happened to line up like that,” Tinsley said.

But he knows DMB fans will be out in force, taping and twirling and noodling along, just as they are every July.

“Part of it is just yearly tradition,” he said. “A lot of the Florida shows are really big shows; a lot of people travel from all over the country to go to those shows. So they’re a pretty big deal.”

Crystal Garden, on the other hand? Not quite yet. Tinsley formed the group from his base in Charlottesville, Va., as sort of an advisor/producer/manager during his spare time from his day job. He’s not actually a member; he produced but barely plays on their new album Let the Rocks Cry Out. But does perform with them at clubs much smaller than the amphitheaters and arenas he’s used to. When Tinsley called us recently, he was in Asheville, N.C., a hippie-friendly town that would no doubt love a headlining concert by Dave Matthews Band, but which they haven’t played in some 25 years, if at all.

“There’s already a following that they have, and it’s growing, and it’s exciting to see,” he said of Crystal Garden. “I’ve seen this happen once before, and it’s really cool to be able to see it happen again.”

I imagine that DMB taking a year off is what enabled you to go out on the road with Crystal Garden, right?

Absolutely. We really have never had a break in all these years that we’ve played, and everybody does different side projects. Jeff (Coffin, sax) and Rashawn (Ross, trumpet) do a lot of jazz groups, and Rashawn does a lot of work with TV bands, and Carter (Beauford, drums) has been out doing stuff with Jeff. Stefan (Lessard, bass) has done a show this year. So it’s an opportunity for everybody to do something outside of the band that we haven’t had a chance to do in 26 years. It’s great that I get a chance to be out on the road full-time with Crystal Garden, introducing them to the country. It’s fun. And also I get to play. (laughs) There’s not been a summer that I can remember, even before DMB, that I can remember not playing music. I would have been losing my mind otherwise.

What creative itches does playing with Crystal Garden scratch that you don’t get playing with Dave?

They’re two different bands — alike in that there’s a great deal of talent in both bands; and the music and direction of the bands are different. Playing with Crystal Garden is cool because it’s music that is more fresh to my ears; it allows me to try different ideas. A whole different side of your music might come out because you’re playing with a whole new set of musicians. It forces creativity out of you. And so because we (in Dave Matthews Band) all do these things, and we all come back together in the summertime as a band, that is incorporated into the music that we play. The band grows from the experiences that each individual has outside of the band.

For you, it’s kind of a cross between a side project, a label and management. Was there a roadmap for something like that?

Beyond the creation of the band, there wasn’t really a solid plan, other than to usher this band and to get this music out to as many people as possible. That was the goal. The means of getting there, that wasn’t really at the forefront of my mind. At the forefront of my mind was making a great album and getting these guys known. I think of it as: I had a dream and a vision that I’ve shared with everybody else, and now it’ s a common vision, it’s a common dream. Whatever role I need to play to make this happen, I’m going to take on this role.

DMB is probably touring again in 2018, right?

Absolutely, yeah.

So what happens with Crystal Garden when your day job starts up again?

I haven’t thought about that very much. By then, the whole structure and organization behind the band will be bigger, and it would be more capable. The band will probably be already playing shows without me. Hopefully they’ll let me come in with them from time to time.

I think they’ll find a way to get you in.

That’s always been the aim: I’m more or less introducing them, and then from there, they can take it. And I’m excited about that.

You mentioned that everybody’s got their own side projects when you take a summer off the road with DMB. What have you experienced with Crystal Garden that you’ll take back with you when DMB hits the studio or goes on the road again?

Just a sense of magic, of letting go, of just expressing the music that’s inside me. That was what the sessions were about when we got together for the first time. A lot of the way that I approach producing is what I gained from working with Steve Lillywhite for three and a half albums. Steve was about getting the best out of musicians. I can’t remember a time when he said “Play this chord,” or “Play this,” but he really did what he did to get the best out of other musicians. A lot of it came down to vibe. Steve would have low lighting and candles and incense, and it would create a very safe vibe that would open you up, and you would be free to open your heart up. That’s something that I do in my sessions. I prefer to record at night, in the dark, with candles and incense. It provides a really safe setting (where) you open up your vulnerabilities to the music, and feel safe doing it.

We’re five years on from Away From the World. Any plans to write and record anytime soon?

There’s definitely been some back and forth on that. I cannot say when that’s going to be. Away From the World was an album that we did over the course of a year and a half or so, so that was definitely one of those process albums. But I have a feeling that an album will be coming from this band sooner than later.

Next year, you guys become eligible for the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. Is that something you’ve talked about?

Are we that f---ing old, dude? (laughs)

It’s 25 years after your first album. So yeah, you’re getting up there.

Wow. “You’re getting up there.” (laughs) Oh my god. Yeah, I honestly have to admit, I haven’t really thought about that. Somebody might have mentioned that at one point, but I haven’t even thought about that. If we were to get some sort of honor, it would be very humbling for myself and I think for all of us, but that’s certainly not anything that I’ve thought about at all.

-- Jay Cridlin
http://www.tampabay.com/blogs/soundc...d-roll/2330772
Cscottrun is offline   Reply With Quote

• Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here
  • Old 07-25-2017, 08:19 AM   #2
    Jsweeney
    coach

Shows Seen: 120

DMB Hub Stubs: 31

My Tour Central Stats

Re: New Boyd Interview

thanks for sharing
    Old 07-25-2017, 08:20 AM   #3
    TheLastPig

Shows Seen: 57

DMB Hub Stubs: 22

My Tour Central Stats

"Boyd is clearly senile.. if you believe him youre a sucker"

Quote:
    Originally Posted by aoeiifreak View Post
    You hit some nerves because some people rely on logic and facts.
    TheLastPig is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-25-2017, 08:22 AM   #4
    TheLastPig

My Tour Central Stats

but in reality. This is awesome news.

Quote:
    Old 07-25-2017, 08:24 AM   #5
    kelchlsm

Shows Seen: 21

DMB Hub Stubs: 9

My Tour Central Stats

Boyd is clearly out in left field.

Carter is 60

Stefan doesn't jump up and down on stage anymore.

I don't believe it still.
    kelchlsm is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-25-2017, 08:30 AM   #6
    axelrod

Shows Seen: 0

DMB Hub Stubs: 0

My Tour Central Stats

- Boyd gives update on the band being back for sure in 2018 with a new album

Ants- "Still no guarantee we the band back next year. No way we get a new album either"
    axelrod is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-25-2017, 08:45 AM   #7
    snow1868
    Party in the back!

Shows Seen: 13

DMB Hub Stubs: 6

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by axelrod View Post
    - Boyd gives update on the band being back for sure in 2018 with a new album

Ants- "Still no guarantee we the band back next year. No way we get a new album either"
    He didn't say there would be a new album in 2018, in fact, he was quite vague about it.

Remember the Ten 1/27/01 4 Ever 11/17/11
    snow1868 is online now   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-25-2017, 08:48 AM   #8
    TheLastPig

My Tour Central Stats

yeah Id say any expectation of a new album next year should really go out the window. At this point im thinking they tour next year, then maybe try to go in the studio next fall.

Quote:
    Old 07-25-2017, 09:02 AM   #9
    RSSR
    Nancies.org, always.

Shows Seen: 11

DMB Hub Stubs: 8

My Tour Central Stats

I'm beginning to wonder if a new album is even a priority for these guys anymore.
    RSSR is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-25-2017, 09:02 AM   #10
    TimHonks

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by kelchlsm View Post
    Boyd is clearly out in left field.

Carter is 60

Stefan doesn't jump up and down on stage anymore.

I don't believe it still.
    You forgot to mention that Boyd didn't sound good in a youtube video from 4 years ago. Definitely not touring in 2018.
    TimHonks is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-25-2017, 09:03 AM   #11
    ElijahSoRight72

Shows Seen: 30

DMB Hub Stubs: 7

My Tour Central Stats

Yeah- his phrasing sounds like maybe they have studio plans, but it will probably will be like the last four years of working in the studio: "YOU GET NOTHING."
    ElijahSoRight72 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-25-2017, 09:04 AM   #12
    TheLastPig

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by RSSR View Post
    I'm beginning to wonder if a new album is even a priority for these guys anymore.
    I dont think it is at all. And thats fine to me.

But if they at least use the medium to work and get creative and debut stuff on the road, thats still a positive IMO.

Quote:
    Old 07-25-2017, 09:10 AM   #13
    RSSR
    Nancies.org, always.

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by TheLastPig View Post
    I dont think it is at all. And thats fine to me.

But if they at least use the medium to work and get creative and debut stuff on the road, thats still a positive IMO.
    If they occasionally release EPs (or downloads, or Warehouse exclusive releases of studio cuts) of their best stuff from the past ten years, that would be fine with me too. Just keep releasing LTs with Roi.
    Old 07-25-2017, 10:11 AM   #14
    axelrod

My Tour Central Stats

Yeah I don't really care for a new album unless its the older songs from the 2000's...

Once they put out a new album, the setlist quality goes down and we get less songs that we really want
    axelrod is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-25-2017, 10:34 AM   #15
    chrisjuniper

Shows Seen: 29

DMB Hub Stubs: 11

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by TimHonks View Post
    You forgot to mention that Boyd didn't sound good in a youtube video from 4 years ago. Definitely not touring in 2018.
    Laughed out loud pretty hard at this.
    chrisjuniper is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-25-2017, 10:35 AM   #16
    WhoDidIt?

Shows Seen: 38

DMB Hub Stubs: 15

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by TheLastPig View Post
    That would probably bring about better quality material than them forcing a studio album anyway.
    WhoDidIt? is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-25-2017, 10:37 AM   #17
    chadizzy1
    Rumor Curator

Shows Seen: 45

DMB Hub Stubs: 17

My Tour Central Stats

I don't have to have studio versions of the new songs. If they could at least put out EPs with the live songs on them, or newer LT releases with the new songs on them, I'm fine with that.
    chadizzy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-25-2017, 10:46 AM   #18
    RSSR
    Nancies.org, always.

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by chadizzy1 View Post
    I don't have to have studio versions of the new songs. If they could at least put out EPs with the live songs on them, or newer LT releases with the new songs on them, I'm fine with that.
    Historically bands are judged by impartial music historians by studio cuts and not by live performances. Nobody turns to live material when people talk about the Beatles. And the studio is itself a musical instrument.
    Old 07-25-2017, 10:52 AM   #19
    dontdrink36
    not nice or reliable

Shows Seen: 53

DMB Hub Stubs: 25

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Historically bands are judged by impartial music historians by studio cuts and not by live performances. Nobody turns to live material when people talk about the Beatles. And the studio is itself a musical instrument.
    How many quality live recordings are there from that generation?
    Old 07-25-2017, 10:53 AM   #20
    chadizzy1
    Rumor Curator

Shows Seen: 45

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    I would agree - but with DMB I would say they're more of a live band and not a studio band.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by dontdrink36 View Post
    How many quality live recordings are there from that generation?
    Wikipedia says the Beatles have 5 live albums

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Be...hy#Live_albums

Last edited by chadizzy1; 07-25-2017 at 10:54 AM.
    chadizzy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-25-2017, 11:07 AM   #21
    YouNeverKnow25

Shows Seen: 110

DMB Hub Stubs: 29

My Tour Central Stats

the very act of comparing DMB to the beatles makes the person doing the comparing irrelevant anyway

did the grateful dead even have studio albums? I don't think I've ever read a thing about one

by the way, DMB made some pretty damn good studio albums. the material that is going to get them into the RRHOF has already been put to wax. the paragraph entry to their encyclopedia page has already been written, and no song they write or album they produce in the future is going to change that paragraph.

if they want to get some stuff recorded to get some ya-yas out, more power to them, but to suggest that they need to keep recording new material in order to cement some historical context (particularly in comparison to the freaking beatles) is utterly asinine.

Click the "Show Spoiler" Button to reveal hidden text.
    YouNeverKnow25 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-25-2017, 11:09 AM   #22
    RSSR
    Nancies.org, always.

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by chadizzy1 View Post
    I would agree - but with DMB I would say they're more of a live band and not a studio band.
    When Kid Rock gave the introduction speech to induct Cheap Trick into the RRHF, Kid Rock told the audience that pretty much every band considers themselves a live band first and foremost. The Beatles considered themselves a live band.
    Old 07-25-2017, 11:13 AM   #23
    RSSR
    Nancies.org, always.

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by YouNeverKnow25 View Post
    the very act of comparing DMB to the beatles makes the person doing the comparing irrelevant anyway

did the grateful dead even have studio albums? I don't think I've ever read a thing about one

by the way, DMB made some pretty damn good studio albums. the material that is going to get them into the RRHOF has already been put to wax. the paragraph entry to their encyclopedia page has already been written, and no song they write or album they produce in the future is going to change that paragraph.

if they want to get some stuff recorded to get some ya-yas out, more power to them, but to suggest that they need to keep recording new material in order to cement some historical context (particularly in comparison to the freaking beatles) is utterly asinine.

Click the "Show Spoiler" Button to reveal hidden text.
    I used the Beatles as an arbitrary example of how other artists, music industry personnel, music professors tend to view artists. Wow.
    Old 07-25-2017, 11:26 AM   #24
    drop2d

Shows Seen: 32

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    When Kid Rock gave the introduction speech to induct Cheap Trick into the RRHF, Kid Rock told the audience that pretty much every band considers themselves a live band first and foremost. The Beatles considered themselves a live band.
    They did? Maybe early in their career... but they didn't even tour to support their last few albums. I mean, think about that - 3 of their very best albums -

Sgt Pepper
    White Album
    Abbey Road

No tour to support those. That's insane.
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by drakan View Post
    Cuomo for president.
    drop2d is online now   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-25-2017, 11:52 AM   #25
    Gravedigger789

Shows Seen: 42

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by drop2d View Post
    They did? Maybe early in their career... but they didn't even tour to support their last few albums. I mean, think about that - 3 of their very best albums -

Sgt Pepper
    White Album
    Abbey Road

No tour to support those. That's insane.
    No need. They supported themselves they were THAT good.
    I will when I can
    Gravedigger789 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-25-2017, 12:07 PM   #26
    willndmb

Shows Seen: 105

DMB Hub Stubs: 24

My Tour Central Stats

From a marketing point of view commingled out with a new album between now and the fall of 18 is a waste.
    18 - "comeback tour"
    19 (or fall 18) - "new album tour"
    People will come out in summer 18 no matter what so use new material t draw ones on the fence back out later on
    willndmb is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-25-2017, 12:56 PM   #27
    dobyblue

Shows Seen: 63

DMB Hub Stubs: 18

My Tour Central Stats

He called Away From The World half an album!

Old 07-25-2017, 12:57 PM   #28
    C.S.
    I lurk you long time...

Shows Seen: 16

DMB Hub Stubs: 12

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by axelrod View Post
    Yeah I don't really care for a new album unless its the older songs from the 2000's...

Once they put out a new album, the setlist quality goes down and we get less songs that we really want
    Enjoy the return of such beloved hits as "Cornbread," "Blackjack," and the cult classic "Can't Stop" at every show.

Last edited by C.S.; 07-25-2017 at 01:00 PM.
    C.S. is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-25-2017, 01:04 PM   #29
    TheLastPig

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by dobyblue View Post

He called Away From The World half an album!

I just think he misspoke. Probably meant 4.5

Quote:
    Old 07-25-2017, 01:08 PM   #30
    dobyblue

Shows Seen: 63

DMB Hub Stubs: 18

My Tour Central Stats

I think the future is very bright for studio material from DMB.