Ants Mixtape Exchange (Due Feb. 18th) - Page 2 - Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion

Go Back   Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion > General Discussion > nDMBc Discussion

Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here

Old 02-24-2017, 12:43 PM   #31
Foreverford05
Let's go O's!

Shows Seen: 36

DMB Hub Stubs: 15

My Tour Central Stats

Re: Ants Mixtape Exchange (Due Feb. 18th)

Yeah I got mine in late too, haha.
Foreverford05 is offline   Reply With Quote

• Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here
  • Old 02-24-2017, 04:11 PM   #32
    grace2

Shows Seen: 0

DMB Hub Stubs: 1

My Tour Central Stats

We should have five mixtapes here. I'll get them out early next week.
    grace2 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 02-24-2017, 06:50 PM   #33
    coldengrey12
    Listen to St. Vincent

Shows Seen: 70

DMB Hub Stubs: 24

My Tour Central Stats

Thanks, Mike!
    coldengrey12 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 02-28-2017, 08:57 AM   #34
    grace2

My Tour Central Stats

everyone should have gotten their mixes today. throw a review on here sometime within this week.
    Old 02-28-2017, 09:04 AM   #35
    Foreverford05
    Let's go O's!

Shows Seen: 36

DMB Hub Stubs: 15

My Tour Central Stats

Woot woot!
    Foreverford05 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 02-28-2017, 09:11 AM   #36
    LadyMadonna68

Shows Seen: 13

DMB Hub Stubs: 5

My Tour Central Stats

Listening to mine now, LOVE the theme, very clever, will post review after a couple listens
    LadyMadonna68 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 02-28-2017, 09:14 AM   #37
    coldengrey12
    Listen to St. Vincent

My Tour Central Stats

Yeah, I'm already listening to mine, too
    Old 03-02-2017, 10:34 AM   #38
    coldengrey12
    Listen to St. Vincent

My Tour Central Stats

I got an unnamed mix of 14 tracks clocking in just shy of an hour.

In terms of genre, it’s diverse, drifting from surf rock to post-rock to pop rap and closing with Angel Olsen. Other than her, some of these songs sounded familiar, but I couldn’t place them.

01. I feel like I know the singer’s voice, but can’t quite place it. Has kind of a garage surf rock quality to it. The tone on the lead guitar is breezy. It has a good groove. Yeah, I feel like I should’ve seen this in a jeans commercial at some point. That’s not an insult. Solid track to lead off with.

02. Low-fi chillwave. The guitar effect sounds underwater and gives the track a dreamy aesthetic. The vocal recording could be a little crisper, but I suspect that would ruin the overall mood. It sounds like a bunch of people who did this in their garage or something and would love to one day do a better version when they had a bigger budget.

03. This one snuck up on me. I thought it was going to be this slow, windswept instrumental track, a contemplative piece to which you’d see a character in a movie look out of a window and think about where they’re at in life. At 7:37, it’s the longest track here. It just keeps adding elements as it goes along, building and swelling the whole way as it adds drums, bass and this lead guitar line that creeps in slowly. I’d lean toward calling it post-rock over instrumental rock just because of that track-long crescendo effect. Big and dramatic piece. Spends the final few minutes cooling back off. There isn’t a sudden, Mogwai-type change of tone, it just sort of lets everything to which it built float away.

04. Another low-fi number, this one built on piano and hand claps. Lives around a pretty catchy hook: “It always end the same.” I feel like this probably closed whatever record it came from. It feels sort of like a silly experiment they tried after they were exhausted from making the rest of it.

05. I know this one, but I don’t know from where. That bass line is thick and the synth line adds this quirky indie pop vibe. It echoes St. Paul and the Broken Bones, but it doesn’t sound as rich as Paul Janeway’s voice.

06. Maybe the biggest stylistic switch up between two songs in the mix. This is a pretty slick male rapped/female sung pop rap collabo. Connecting it to the theme of religion, the backing vocals I think aim for this hint of gospel, trying to take us to church a little bit.

07. Another rap track. This is a little more carnivalesque/ragtimey in the piano lick, but has a good bass thud. It’s got a lot of swagger and braggadocio, kind of keeping it in the essence of hip-hop in that sense. “I used to get the coldest shoulder but now I get the hottest ass.” Lol I’m sure I’ve heard this before, but I couldn’t tell you who it is off of the top of my head.

08. Horns arrive and we’re back to guitar music. This feels like what I thought would follow up track 5. This has a jazzy/soulful/funky vibe. It’s almost another instrumental track, although it gets a verse near the end. On my second time through, I had to stop the mix here for a second and as soon as I walked away, I was whistling the melody.

09. The beginning of this song makes me think of Dave Matthews’ “Save Me,” but this winds up being funkier. The woman singing has a high register for this kind of funk/soul vibe. I imagine this would be fun to see live, especially with all the backup singing.

10. Pleasant little indie rock song. Has a laid back mood. I like the group sing the punctuates the phrase “And I know” in the chorus.

11. Another indie rocker. A little more low-fi and has some indietronica elements. I can’t tell if it’s a synth part or a guitar with an effect, but I like what it adds to the song — the phrase that bridges the verses is the defining characteristic of the song. The singing slides between falsetto and some upper registers well enough.

12. Nice little breezy indie folk song. This singer’s voice has a bit of a sadness and longing to it. The guitar tone that pairs with it goes well. I hear some bongos or some other hand-played percussion that give the chorus just that little extra gallop. This is a nice tune. I feel like I’ve heard this voice before, but it’s another one I can’t place.

13. Piano is a little carnivalesque/ragtime, but the hand claps and vocal harmonies are kinda doo wop. Sort of echoes the vibe of Track 4 in how bare bones but fun it is. The voice sounds like Hamilton Leithauser. I wonder if it’s from his latest project, which I haven’t checked out yet. This track makes me curious.

14. Ooh. Angel Olsen. Swoon. Love her. I feel like she’s followed a career trajectory similar to The Tallest Man on Earth — started with just her and a guitar and she keeps adding elements with each successive project without compromising her sound’s integrity. I like ending the whole mix on that final snare hit, too.

Overall, I liked it. There isn't a track here that I'm like, "Eww. Skip that." It's a good blend of a lot of different sounds/styles. Whoever made this is my kinda music nerd.

So who's responsible?
    Old 03-04-2017, 09:54 AM   #39
    TrampledUnderw.

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by coldengrey12 View Post
    I got an unnamed mix of 14 tracks clocking in just shy of an hour.

In terms of genre, it’s diverse, drifting from surf rock to post-rock to pop rap and closing with Angel Olsen. Other than her, some of these songs sounded familiar, but I couldn’t place them.

01. I feel like I know the singer’s voice, but can’t quite place it. Has kind of a garage surf rock quality to it. The tone on the lead guitar is breezy. It has a good groove. Yeah, I feel like I should’ve seen this in a jeans commercial at some point. That’s not an insult. Solid track to lead off with.

02. Low-fi chillwave. The guitar effect sounds underwater and gives the track a dreamy aesthetic. The vocal recording could be a little crisper, but I suspect that would ruin the overall mood. It sounds like a bunch of people who did this in their garage or something and would love to one day do a better version when they had a bigger budget.

03. This one snuck up on me. I thought it was going to be this slow, windswept instrumental track, a contemplative piece to which you’d see a character in a movie look out of a window and think about where they’re at in life. At 7:37, it’s the longest track here. It just keeps adding elements as it goes along, building and swelling the whole way as it adds drums, bass and this lead guitar line that creeps in slowly. I’d lean toward calling it post-rock over instrumental rock just because of that track-long crescendo effect. Big and dramatic piece. Spends the final few minutes cooling back off. There isn’t a sudden, Mogwai-type change of tone, it just sort of lets everything to which it built float away.

04. Another low-fi number, this one built on piano and hand claps. Lives around a pretty catchy hook: “It always end the same.” I feel like this probably closed whatever record it came from. It feels sort of like a silly experiment they tried after they were exhausted from making the rest of it.

05. I know this one, but I don’t know from where. That bass line is thick and the synth line adds this quirky indie pop vibe. It echoes St. Paul and the Broken Bones, but it doesn’t sound as rich as Paul Janeway’s voice.

06. Maybe the biggest stylistic switch up between two songs in the mix. This is a pretty slick male rapped/female sung pop rap collabo. Connecting it to the theme of religion, the backing vocals I think aim for this hint of gospel, trying to take us to church a little bit.

07. Another rap track. This is a little more carnivalesque/ragtimey in the piano lick, but has a good bass thud. It’s got a lot of swagger and braggadocio, kind of keeping it in the essence of hip-hop in that sense. “I used to get the coldest shoulder but now I get the hottest ass.” Lol I’m sure I’ve heard this before, but I couldn’t tell you who it is off of the top of my head.

08. Horns arrive and we’re back to guitar music. This feels like what I thought would follow up track 5. This has a jazzy/soulful/funky vibe. It’s almost another instrumental track, although it gets a verse near the end. On my second time through, I had to stop the mix here for a second and as soon as I walked away, I was whistling the melody.

09. The beginning of this song makes me think of Dave Matthews’ “Save Me,” but this winds up being funkier. The woman singing has a high register for this kind of funk/soul vibe. I imagine this would be fun to see live, especially with all the backup singing.

10. Pleasant little indie rock song. Has a laid back mood. I like the group sing the punctuates the phrase “And I know” in the chorus.

11. Another indie rocker. A little more low-fi and has some indietronica elements. I can’t tell if it’s a synth part or a guitar with an effect, but I like what it adds to the song — the phrase that bridges the verses is the defining characteristic of the song. The singing slides between falsetto and some upper registers well enough.

12. Nice little breezy indie folk song. This singer’s voice has a bit of a sadness and longing to it. The guitar tone that pairs with it goes well. I hear some bongos or some other hand-played percussion that give the chorus just that little extra gallop. This is a nice tune. I feel like I’ve heard this voice before, but it’s another one I can’t place.

13. Piano is a little carnivalesque/ragtime, but the hand claps and vocal harmonies are kinda doo wop. Sort of echoes the vibe of Track 4 in how bare bones but fun it is. The voice sounds like Hamilton Leithauser. I wonder if it’s from his latest project, which I haven’t checked out yet. This track makes me curious.

14. Ooh. Angel Olsen. Swoon. Love her. I feel like she’s followed a career trajectory similar to The Tallest Man on Earth — started with just her and a guitar and she keeps adding elements with each successive project without compromising her sound’s integrity. I like ending the whole mix on that final snare hit, too.

Overall, I liked it. There isn't a track here that I'm like, "Eww. Skip that." It's a good blend of a lot of different sounds/styles. Whoever made this is my kinda music nerd.

So who's responsible?
    Glad you enjoyed it! My biggest concern with my mix was the lack of flow and jumping between genres. Most of the stuff I listen to is pretty well rep'd in the album of the day thread so I tried to branch out a little

1. The Flaming Stars-Bury My Heart at Pier 13
    2. Modern Pleasure-Kalifornia
    3. Caspian-Hymn For The Greatest Generation
    4. You Won't-Television
    5. Vulvpeck-1612
    6. nobigdyl-Suicide Nets
    7. DRAM-Cash Machine (one of my favorites from 2016 )
    8. Maceo Parker-Uptown Up
    9. Turkuaz-Tiptoe Through the Crypto
    10. Bahamas-Stronger Than That
    11. Generationals-Put a Light On
    12. The Cave Singers-Beach House
    13. Hamilton Leithauser + Rostam-Rough Going
    14. Angel Olsen-Heart Shaped Face

Thanks for the awesome, well thought out review!
    TrampledUnderw. is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 03-04-2017, 12:29 PM   #40
    coldengrey12
    Listen to St. Vincent

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by TrampledUnderw. View Post
    Glad you enjoyed it! My biggest concern with my mix was the lack of flow and jumping between genres. Most of the stuff I listen to is pretty well rep'd in the album of the day thread so I tried to branch out a little

1. The Flaming Stars-Bury My Heart at Pier 13
    2. Modern Pleasure-Kalifornia
    3. Caspian-Hymn For The Greatest Generation
    4. You Won't-Television
    5. Vulvpeck-1612
    6. nobigdyl-Suicide Nets
    7. DRAM-Cash Machine (one of my favorites from 2016 )
    8. Maceo Parker-Uptown Up
    9. Turkuaz-Tiptoe Through the Crypto
    10. Bahamas-Stronger Than That
    11. Generationals-Put a Light On
    12. The Cave Singers-Beach House
    13. Hamilton Leithauser + Rostam-Rough Going
    14. Angel Olsen-Heart Shaped Face

Thanks for the awesome, well thought out review!
    I knew that was Hamilton Leithauser!

I saw Vulfpeck at a festival last summer. That's probably why that song sounded familiar.

I saw Cave Singers a few years back, too. They opened for either Fleet Foxes or Decemberists. I don't remember. But I wouldn't have put that together.

Thanks for the mix!
    Old 04-03-2017, 06:13 PM   #41
    TrampledUnderw.

My Tour Central Stats

I know this is mad late but class has been crazy busy so I'm gonna get mine up as soon as I can. Was a really cool country mix with some jazz tunes thrown in
    TrampledUnderw. is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 04-03-2017, 08:34 PM   #42
    grace2

My Tour Central Stats

i've sent out mixes to everybody else, that's the only one i don't have right now because the file didn't work and we've been emailing i believe to try to get it figured out. please get that sent over as soon as you can.
    Old 04-03-2017, 09:43 PM   #43
    coldengrey12
    Listen to St. Vincent

My Tour Central Stats

Really digging that Cave Singers song from my mix.
    Old 04-04-2017, 07:44 AM   #44
    grace2

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by TrampledUnderw. View Post
    I know this is mad late but class has been crazy busy so I'm gonna get mine up as soon as I can. Was a really cool country mix with some jazz tunes thrown in
    i'm sorry i got him confused with somebody else.

i'm still waiting on a mix which has not been submitted yet because of some failure in the file. we'll see if it ends up coming through or not.
    Old 04-04-2017, 07:56 AM   #45
    LadyMadonna68

My Tour Central Stats

The mix I got was so money. It was called 1992, with songs only from 1992. Album art was the dream team and the artist names were the dream team players. Such an awesome theme.

Had one of my all time favorites, Catherine wheel - black metallic. Had some classics on there as well, blind melon, Neil young, Alice In Chains. A 10,000 maniacs song I think, I'm going off memory, it's back on my comp at home. There was one track on there that was great and I hadn't heard it before, very pixies-esque but I couldn't pinpoint who it was. Need to Shazam it.

Overall a great mix, mad props to who put it together
    Old 04-04-2017, 08:10 AM   #46
    grace2

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by LadyMadonna68 View Post
    The mix I got was so money. It was called 1992, with songs only from 1992. Album art was the dream team and the artist names were the dream team players. Such an awesome theme.

Had one of my all time favorites, Catherine wheel - black metallic. Had some classics on there as well, blind melon, Neil young, Alice In Chains. A 10,000 maniacs song I think, I'm going off memory, it's back on my comp at home. There was one track on there that was great and I hadn't heard it before, very pixies-esque but I couldn't pinpoint who it was. Need to Shazam it.

throw a review of it once you get back to your computer!
    Old 04-20-2017, 10:09 PM   #47
    coldengrey12
    Listen to St. Vincent

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:

Way delayed reveal: This was me!

1. The Cure - The Edge of the Deep Green Sea [Robinson]
    2. Sugar - A Good Idea [Ewing]
    3. Alice in Chains - Down in a Hole [Bird]
    4. Neil Young - Harvest Moon [Pippen]
    5. 10,000 Maniacs - These Are Days [Jordan]
    6. Heavenly - Our Love Is Heavenly [Malone]
    7. Paul Westerberg - Waiting for Somebody [Stockton]
    8. Catherine Wheel - Black Metallic [Barkley]
    9. Blind Melon - No Rain [Johnson]

I picked the Dream Team players because they played at the 1992 Olympics.

Last edited by coldengrey12; 04-20-2017 at 10:12 PM.
    Old 04-21-2017, 08:18 AM   #48
    LadyMadonna68

My Tour Central Stats

Awesome mix dude. I still go back to it probably once a week or so. Perfect length as well
    Old 04-21-2017, 08:55 AM   #49
    coldengrey12
    Listen to St. Vincent

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Awesome mix dude. I still go back to it probably once a week or so. Perfect length as well
    Thanks!

I feel like the window between 35 and 50 total minutes is the Goldilocks zone for most mixes.