**The Official Vinyl Collectors Thread** - Antsmarching.org Forums

Go Back   Antsmarching.org Forums > General Discussion > alternativefactsC


Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-21-2008, 01:38 PM   #1
blazerman507
T
 
blazerman507's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Chicago
Posts: 527

Shows Seen: 27
Send a message via AIM to blazerman507

**The Official Vinyl Collectors Thread**

i apologize if a similar thread already exists (i did some searching and couldn't find one), but i figured i'd start this for people who want to discuss their lp collections, share stories of finding rare records, ask questions, etc.

i have been contemplating starting a vinyl collection for years and i have to admit, the most recent AM podcast is what finally pushed me to do it. i'm saving up for a turntable (i'm thinking the Crosley Keepsake model that you can hook up to your computer, anyone have thoughts on this?). in the meantime i purchased new, sealed copies of Continuum and In Rainbows on Amazon.com and went to a local record store and started off with a few essentials (sealed version of Ten, Dark Side, The Wall, Hotel California, Born to Run, etc.).

I consider it to be a good start.
__________________
-T

just two lost souls swimming in a fish bowl, year after year
blazerman507 is offline   Reply With Quote

  • Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here
  • Old 04-21-2008, 01:45 PM   #2
    Beefsteak1138
    Shut the fuck up Howell
     
    Beefsteak1138's Avatar
     
    Join Date: May 2003
    Location: Scorkzland
    Posts: 72,173

    Shows Seen: 10

    Re: **The Official Vinyl Collectors Thread**

    mp3 > vinyl.
    __________________
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rebecca De Mornay View Post
    i wish i lived in a time where it was acceptable to have sex with kids.
    Beefsteak1138 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 04-21-2008, 01:47 PM   #3
    rickyh24
    GOAT
     
    rickyh24's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Apr 2003
    Posts: 133,275

    Shows Seen: 71

    Re: **The Official Vinyl Collectors Thread**

    ^
    rickyh24 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 04-21-2008, 01:50 PM   #4
    Styx Cover Band
    A living tribute to:
     
    Styx Cover Band's Avatar
     
    Join Date: May 2007
    Location: Some where in Chicagoland
    Posts: 4,259

    Shows Seen: 0
    Send a message via AIM to Styx Cover Band

    Re: **The Official Vinyl Collectors Thread**

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by blazerman507 View Post

    i have been contemplating starting a vinyl collection for years and i have to admit, the most recent AM podcast is what finally pushed me to do it. i'm saving up for a turntable (i'm thinking the Crosley Keepsake model that you can hook up to your computer, anyone have thoughts on this?). in the meantime i purchased new, sealed copies of Continuum and In Rainbows on Amazon.com and went to a local record store and started off with a few essentials (sealed version of Ten, Dark Side, The Wall, Hotel California, Born to Run, etc.).

    I consider it to be a good start.
    What record store did you go to? I got a turn table at Christmas, but my playback system is crap right now, but I'm saving up to upgrade to a nice one.

    Let's see off the top of my head the vinyls I have:

    Freewheelin - Tuesday
    Broken Star - The Broadways (OOP in '98)
    goddamit - Alkaline Trio (actually my copy was bad waiting for asianman records to send a replacement)
    Right on Time - Hepcat
    Push n shove - Hepcat
    Kingsby Nights - Catch 22
    8 Styx albums (oh yeah)
    and several more I'm forgetting
    __________________
    Bill
    Quote:
    life's more interesting with crazy around. just don't let it get too far
    Styx Cover Band is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 04-21-2008, 01:56 PM   #5
    Bron Yr Aur
     
    Join Date: Dec 2004
    Location: IL
    Posts: 17,805

    Shows Seen: 6

    Re: **The Official Vinyl Collectors Thread**

    Now here is a thread that is right up my alley. I've had a small collection going for a while now...probably have 75 or so records...most of them old used ones.

    Personally, I would not go for a player with a USB connection. I don't know if you want to convert your vinyls to FLACs or mp3's or what, but personally I think it kind of defeats the purpose. I don't know what kind of budget you are on, but if you can spend some money, a new Technics, low end Denon or Pro-Ject table would be a good table. A better idea would be to save a bunch of cash and try to find a decent old used table.
    __________________
    -Marty, RYM
    Album of the Day Reviews... Ramona Falls & The Men
    Bron Yr Aur is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 04-21-2008, 02:01 PM   #6
    blazerman507
    T
     
    blazerman507's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Jul 2003
    Location: Chicago
    Posts: 527

    Shows Seen: 27
    Send a message via AIM to blazerman507

    Re: **The Official Vinyl Collectors Thread**

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Styx Cover Band View Post
    What record store did you go to?
    KStarke Records

    http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm...endID=79490844

    It's on Western Avenue in Chicago. Very cool place, great selection, moderate prices. It is about 1/2 a block from where i live so i plan to be there a lot.
    __________________
    -T

    just two lost souls swimming in a fish bowl, year after year
    blazerman507 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 04-21-2008, 02:03 PM   #7
    blazerman507
    T
     
    blazerman507's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Jul 2003
    Location: Chicago
    Posts: 527

    Shows Seen: 27
    Send a message via AIM to blazerman507

    Re: **The Official Vinyl Collectors Thread**

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bron Yr Aur View Post
    Personally, I would not go for a player with a USB connection. I don't know if you want to convert your vinyls to FLACs or mp3's or what, but personally I think it kind of defeats the purpose. I don't know what kind of budget you are on, but if you can spend some money, a new Technics, low end Denon or Pro-Ject table would be a good table. A better idea would be to save a bunch of cash and try to find a decent old used table.
    yeah, the reason i was looking into the Crosley is cause it has built in speakers as well which makes it somewhat portable and i don't have to rely on hooking it up to a big stereo system. plus i figured in this day and age anything that has the capability to connect to a computer is probably a good investment.

    edit: http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/Crosl...oductDetail.do
    __________________
    -T

    just two lost souls swimming in a fish bowl, year after year

    Last edited by blazerman507; 04-21-2008 at 02:06 PM.
    blazerman507 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 04-21-2008, 02:04 PM   #8
    Arby
    We Have The Meats
     
    Arby's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Jul 2004
    Posts: 84,676

    Shows Seen: 24

    Re: **The Official Vinyl Collectors Thread**

    Once I get some money, I really want to start a nice collection. As of now I dont have anything. I'd need a turntable, some nice headphones, and of course albums.
    __________________
    -Arby
    Arby is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 04-21-2008, 02:08 PM   #9
    Bron Yr Aur
     
    Join Date: Dec 2004
    Location: IL
    Posts: 17,805

    Shows Seen: 6

    Re: **The Official Vinyl Collectors Thread**

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by blazerman507 View Post
    yeah, the reason i was looking into the Crosley is cause it has built in speakers as well which makes it somewhat portable and i don't have to rely on hooking it up to a big stereo system. plus i figured in this day and age anything that has the capability to connect to a computer is probably a good investment.
    Yeah, those things are pretty damn cheap, as well. However, vinyl collecting isn't the cheapest hobby to get into. I got a pair of speakers + receiver to churn out my vinyl for around $400 recently, which is pretty cheap. If you could find a working tuner/receiver at goodwill and a pair of speakers you could probably get a solid system for under $150, but sometimes it's just a matter of getting lucky. If you're planning on collecting for years, you might as well get some sort of system now if you have the money. I mean, the USB record players are cool, but what's the point in buying one just to play the vinyl out of their meager speakers?
    __________________
    -Marty, RYM
    Album of the Day Reviews... Ramona Falls & The Men
    Bron Yr Aur is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 04-21-2008, 02:16 PM   #10
    blazerman507
    T
     
    blazerman507's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Jul 2003
    Location: Chicago
    Posts: 527

    Shows Seen: 27
    Send a message via AIM to blazerman507

    Re: **The Official Vinyl Collectors Thread**

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bron Yr Aur View Post
    Yeah, those things are pretty damn cheap, as well. However, vinyl collecting isn't the cheapest hobby to get into. I got a pair of speakers + receiver to churn out my vinyl for around $400 recently, which is pretty cheap. If you could find a working tuner/receiver at goodwill and a pair of speakers you could probably get a solid system for under $150, but sometimes it's just a matter of getting lucky. If you're planning on collecting for years, you might as well get some sort of system now if you have the money. I mean, the USB record players are cool, but what's the point in buying one just to play the vinyl out of their meager speakers?
    very good point. since i'm just starting out i'm gonna give this a try. if i find i really get into it i can upgrade later when i have more money (the newspaper reporter salary isn't doing me any favors right now).
    __________________
    -T

    just two lost souls swimming in a fish bowl, year after year
    blazerman507 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 04-21-2008, 02:17 PM   #11
    notorious v.i.g
     
    Join Date: Sep 2006
    Location: Fort Mill, SC
    Posts: 774

    Shows Seen: 75

    Re: **The Official Vinyl Collectors Thread**

    In NJ Vintage Vinyl near New Brunswick and the Princeton Record Exchange are amazing. Haven't gotten too much into collecting yet but i plan to.
    __________________
    Home: Fort Mill, SC
    Past: Lake Hopatcong, NJ
    Work: Charlotte, NC (Metlife)
    Past: Newark, NJ (Prudential)
    notorious v.i.g is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 04-21-2008, 02:21 PM   #12
    waywayNCSU
    Farva's # 1
     
    waywayNCSU's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Jul 2004
    Location: Shenannigans
    Posts: 2,520

    Shows Seen: 5

    Re: **The Official Vinyl Collectors Thread**

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bron Yr Aur View Post
    Now here is a thread that is right up my alley. I've had a small collection going for a while now...probably have 75 or so records...most of them old used ones.
    Ditto. I'll go to the local shops here every couple of weeks just to see what they've got.
    waywayNCSU is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 04-21-2008, 02:27 PM   #13
    Hudak-Budak
    Asshole.
     
    Hudak-Budak's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Aug 2004
    Location: Killadelphia
    Posts: 39,157

    Shows Seen: 10
    Send a message via AIM to Hudak-Budak Send a message via Yahoo to Hudak-Budak

    Re: **The Official Vinyl Collectors Thread**

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by som3d3vil34 View Post
    Once I get some money, I really want to start a nice collection. As of now I dont have anything. I'd need a turntable, some nice headphones, and of course albums.
    This is how I feel. Until the day comes when I have disposable income for that kind of thing, though, it'll be mp3s all the way.
    __________________
    -Glen

    Censorship is a cancer.
    Hudak-Budak is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 04-21-2008, 02:27 PM   #14
    thom hudson
    Cold Noses
     
    thom hudson's Avatar
     
    Join Date: May 2007
    Posts: 15,263

    Shows Seen: 26

    Re: **The Official Vinyl Collectors Thread**

    can someone please explain to me the advantage of vinyl?
    because i don't get it at all.
    __________________
    please me, have no regrets...
    thom hudson is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 04-21-2008, 02:27 PM   #15
    Alligator
    Candy's Room
     
    Alligator's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Aug 2004
    Location: Streets of Philadelphia
    Posts: 331

    Shows Seen: 0

    Re: **The Official Vinyl Collectors Thread**

    I love vinyl. Flea markets/yard sales are a great place to look.
    this past weekend I found:
    Bruce Springsteen: Greetings, Darkness and The River
    The Beatles-Abbey Road
    Led Zep-Physical Graffiti
    __________________
    Let my inspiration flow in token rhyme, suggesting rhythm,
    That will not forsake you, till my tale is told and done.
    Alligator is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 04-21-2008, 02:33 PM   #16
    Alligator
    Candy's Room
     
    Alligator's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Aug 2004
    Location: Streets of Philadelphia
    Posts: 331

    Shows Seen: 0

    Re: **The Official Vinyl Collectors Thread**

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by thom hudson View Post
    can someone please explain to me the advantage of vinyl?
    because i don't get it at all.
    I'm not sure myself. But some people swear by it. I think CDs and MP3s are too compressed and the sound on vinyl is better. for others like myself it's more about the nastagic feeling you get from playing them. My Dad had a ton of records he gave me.
    __________________
    Let my inspiration flow in token rhyme, suggesting rhythm,
    That will not forsake you, till my tale is told and done.
    Alligator is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 04-21-2008, 02:51 PM   #17
    blazerman507
    T
     
    blazerman507's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Jul 2003
    Location: Chicago
    Posts: 527

    Shows Seen: 27
    Send a message via AIM to blazerman507

    Re: **The Official Vinyl Collectors Thread**

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by thom hudson View Post
    can someone please explain to me the advantage of vinyl?
    because i don't get it at all.
    as far as sonic advantage and how/why that is i'm going to defer to someone else to answer because as a novice collector i don't have a full handle on it myself.

    for me it's just about connecting to the music (both old and new) in a different way. i'm only 24 so my mp3/cd collection of the classic bands mostly includes greatest hits albums and i'd like to experiece the actual full albums as they were when they were released.
    __________________
    -T

    just two lost souls swimming in a fish bowl, year after year
    blazerman507 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 04-21-2008, 03:30 PM   #18
    Styx Cover Band
    A living tribute to:
     
    Styx Cover Band's Avatar
     
    Join Date: May 2007
    Location: Some where in Chicagoland
    Posts: 4,259

    Shows Seen: 0
    Send a message via AIM to Styx Cover Band

    Re: **The Official Vinyl Collectors Thread**

    I was going to order some vinyl over the weekend, but didn't get around to it. But I'm definitely going to try and order some Lawerence Arms albums this weekend
    __________________
    Bill
    Quote:
    life's more interesting with crazy around. just don't let it get too far
    Styx Cover Band is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 04-21-2008, 03:42 PM   #19
    GSUdawg521
    \> |> /> \> |> /> \> |>
     
    GSUdawg521's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Nov 2004
    Location: Southeast of disorder
    Posts: 18,125

    Shows Seen: 28

    Re: **The Official Vinyl Collectors Thread**

    I have around 20 or so vinyls. About half taken from my parents' old collection and the rest bought mostly at a little random shit/antiques store here in Athens. I have a handful of Elton John vinyls, Queen's greatest hits, Thriller, an old live Jimmy Buffet album, a 4-record CCR I think best-of, and one cool old REM single with a photograph printed right on the vinyl surface. James Taylor, etc etc

    I can't recall all of 'em and I don't play them too often lately, I have my parents old stereo that has a turntable on top, a cd player, and two casette decks, but it doesn't sound the greatest. Could be the needle, could be the speakers.
    __________________
    ~Jared
    GSUdawg521 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 04-21-2008, 03:42 PM   #20
    Tak_a_Tak
     
    Tak_a_Tak's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Aug 2002
    Location: Indy
    Posts: 10,527

    Shows Seen: 61

    Re: **The Official Vinyl Collectors Thread**

    I've been collecting vinyl for a few years now. So far, I have a complete set of Led Zeplin and Pink Floyd.

    __________________
    _____
    OllllllO
    ...tak
    vinyl collection
    Tak_a_Tak is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 04-21-2008, 03:44 PM   #21
    blazerman507
    T
     
    blazerman507's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Jul 2003
    Location: Chicago
    Posts: 527

    Shows Seen: 27
    Send a message via AIM to blazerman507

    Re: **The Official Vinyl Collectors Thread**

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Styx Cover Band View Post
    I was going to order some vinyl over the weekend, but didn't get around to it. But I'm definitely going to try and order some Lawerence Arms albums this weekend
    i am not familiar, what kind of music do they play?
    __________________
    -T

    just two lost souls swimming in a fish bowl, year after year
    blazerman507 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 04-21-2008, 03:55 PM   #22
    blazerman507
    T
     
    blazerman507's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Jul 2003
    Location: Chicago
    Posts: 527

    Shows Seen: 27
    Send a message via AIM to blazerman507

    Re: **The Official Vinyl Collectors Thread**

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by GSUdawg521 View Post
    I have around 20 or so vinyls. About half taken from my parents' old collection and the rest bought mostly at a little random shit/antiques store here in Athens. I have a handful of Elton John vinyls, Queen's greatest hits, Thriller, an old live Jimmy Buffet album, a 4-record CCR I think best-of, and one cool old REM single with a photograph printed right on the vinyl surface. James Taylor, etc etc

    I can't recall all of 'em and I don't play them too often lately, I have my parents old stereo that has a turntable on top, a cd player, and two casette decks, but it doesn't sound the greatest. Could be the needle, could be the speakers.
    is this "You Had to Be There"? that's definitely on my list of records to get.

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tak_a_Tak View Post
    I've been collecting vinyl for a few years now. So far, I have a complete set of Led Zeplin and Pink Floyd.

    very nice. i aspire to one day do the same!
    __________________
    -T

    just two lost souls swimming in a fish bowl, year after year
    blazerman507 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 04-21-2008, 04:07 PM   #23
    GSUdawg521
    \> |> /> \> |> /> \> |>
     
    GSUdawg521's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Nov 2004
    Location: Southeast of disorder
    Posts: 18,125

    Shows Seen: 28

    Re: **The Official Vinyl Collectors Thread**

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by blazerman507 View Post
    is this "You Had to Be There"? that's definitely on my list of records to get.
    Yeah man, and I got it for $2! All of the records I got in that little store here were anywhere from $0.50 to $4 at best: Elton John, Billy Joel, U2, REM, etc etc

    And since I was looking for you, my entire collection is

    Billy Joel The Stranger
    Billy Joel 52nd Street
    Creedence Clearwater Revival Greatest Hits (3disc)
    Elton John Here and There
    Elton John Captain Fantastic and the Brown Dirt Cowboy
    Elton John Greatest Hits
    Elton John Madman Across the Water (2 of these)
    Elton John unnamed
    Elton John Goodbye Yellow Brick Road
    Eric Clapton, The Best of
    James Taylor unnamed
    Jimmy Buffet You Had to Be There
    Michael Jackson Thriller
    Queen Greatest Hits
    REM Nightswimming
    Simon and Garfunkel Greatest Hits
    U2 Under a Blood Red Sky (live)
    __________________
    ~Jared
    GSUdawg521 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 04-21-2008, 04:12 PM   #24
    Bron Yr Aur
     
    Join Date: Dec 2004
    Location: IL
    Posts: 17,805

    Shows Seen: 6

    Re: **The Official Vinyl Collectors Thread**

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tak_a_Tak View Post
    I've been collecting vinyl for a few years now. So far, I have a complete set of Led Zeplin and Pink Floyd.

    Nice. I have pretty nice copies of WYWH and Dark Side, though my Dark Side came from my dad, and it has a nice big scratch during Money. Wish You Were Here is just awesome on vinyl.

    Personally, I notice a discernable difference in sound quality between vinyl and mp3's. With a well-mastered CD not so much, but with vinyl, the sound just seems to fill the room much more, and there is much more dimension to the sound. With my new Maiden Voyage reissue, it really feels like the players are right there in the room. Dire Straits' Brothers in Arms is a record that just sounds incredible on vinyl, compared to mp3.

    Now, getting some of those dirty old records clean....that's another story.
    __________________
    -Marty, RYM
    Album of the Day Reviews... Ramona Falls & The Men
    Bron Yr Aur is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 04-21-2008, 04:25 PM   #25
    Tak_a_Tak
     
    Tak_a_Tak's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Aug 2002
    Location: Indy
    Posts: 10,527

    Shows Seen: 61

    Re: **The Official Vinyl Collectors Thread**

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bron Yr Aur View Post
    Nice. I have pretty nice copies of WYWH and Dark Side, though my Dark Side came from my dad, and it has a nice big scratch during Money. Wish You Were Here is just awesome on vinyl.
    Ya, I have I think 3 copies of Dark Side. Each time I'd find one better that the last I buy it. The last one I have is in great shape. I did the same with Working Mans Dead. I think I have 3 copies of that too.





    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bron Yr Aur View Post
    Now, getting some of those dirty old records clean....that's another story.

    1. Go to Len Crafters. 2. By a cleaning cloth and some of their eye glass cleaner in the spray bottle. 3. Lay a cotton towel down on the table and spray the cleaner on the record lightly. Whipe with the lens cloth.

    I picked up that trick from another board and have been doing that for years. It works wonders.
    __________________
    _____
    OllllllO
    ...tak
    vinyl collection
    Tak_a_Tak is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 04-21-2008, 04:29 PM   #26
    Styx Cover Band
    A living tribute to:
     
    Styx Cover Band's Avatar
     
    Join Date: May 2007
    Location: Some where in Chicagoland
    Posts: 4,259

    Shows Seen: 0
    Send a message via AIM to Styx Cover Band

    Re: **The Official Vinyl Collectors Thread**

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by blazerman507 View Post
    i am not familiar, what kind of music do they play?
    They are a punk band and it's dam good stuff. Their lead singer Brendan was in Slapstick and The Broadways

    http://www.thelawrencearms.net/news/

    I always get a kick out of this when I read it. (From their site) The band takes it's name from a run-down building the members resided in called the Lawrence Arms, which was located in a very lower-class area of uptown Chicago. For the record, they were eventually evicted from the place in the middle of the night.
    __________________
    Bill
    Quote:
    life's more interesting with crazy around. just don't let it get too far
    Styx Cover Band is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 04-21-2008, 04:48 PM   #27
    blazerman507
    T
     
    blazerman507's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Jul 2003
    Location: Chicago
    Posts: 527

    Shows Seen: 27
    Send a message via AIM to blazerman507

    Re: **The Official Vinyl Collectors Thread**

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tak_a_Tak View Post
    1. Go to Len Crafters. 2. By a cleaning cloth and some of their eye glass cleaner in the spray bottle. 3. Lay a cotton towel down on the table and spray the cleaner on the record lightly. Whipe with the lens cloth.

    I picked up that trick from another board and have been doing that for years. It works wonders.
    the guy at KStarke told me that lighter fluid also works...although i would feel uneasy about rubbing down my records with lighter fluid.
    __________________
    -T

    just two lost souls swimming in a fish bowl, year after year
    blazerman507 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 04-21-2008, 04:52 PM   #28
    Bron Yr Aur
     
    Join Date: Dec 2004
    Location: IL
    Posts: 17,805

    Shows Seen: 6

    Re: **The Official Vinyl Collectors Thread**

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tak_a_Tak View Post
    Ya, I have I think 3 copies of Dark Side. Each time I'd find one better that the last I buy it. The last one I have is in great shape. I did the same with Working Mans Dead. I think I have 3 copies of that too.

    1. Go to Len Crafters. 2. By a cleaning cloth and some of their eye glass cleaner in the spray bottle. 3. Lay a cotton towel down on the table and spray the cleaner on the record lightly. Whipe with the lens cloth.

    I picked up that trick from another board and have been doing that for years. It works wonders.
    I wonder what is in their cleaning solution. I just mix up a 3/4 gallon of distilled water + 1/4 gallon 99% isopropyl alcohol + drop of dawn or Fotoflow.

    However, I can never find just the right cloths that are soft enough and won't leave behind lint. At some point I would like to buy a VPI vacuum record cleaner.

    Also, I tried covering a couple records (including my dirtier copy of CSNY's Deja Vu) with wood glue, waited for it to solidify, then peeled it off. Deja Vu ended sounding just about like new after this treatment, but if it doesn't peel off correctly, you'll have a big mess of trouble.
    __________________
    -Marty, RYM
    Album of the Day Reviews... Ramona Falls & The Men
    Bron Yr Aur is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 04-21-2008, 04:57 PM   #29
    jmanheels
     
    jmanheels's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Oct 2006
    Location: NC
    Posts: 699

    Shows Seen: 6

    Re: **The Official Vinyl Collectors Thread**

    I can never find any good used vinyl at my local record store, and I don't want to spend $20+ on a sealed one, so my vinyl collection hasnt really taken off yet. I do have some great ones I got as hand-me downs from my dad. Including:

    Sgt. Pepper- Beatles
    Abbey Road- Beatles
    Entire R.E.M. discography
    Simon and Garfunkel- Bridge Over Troubled Water
    and some more.
    jmanheels is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 04-21-2008, 05:13 PM   #30
    aclark0622
    man/bag of sand
     
    aclark0622's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Jun 2006
    Location: Portland, ME
    Posts: 3,369

    Shows Seen: 10

    Re: **The Official Vinyl Collectors Thread**

    Some day, I'll get (take) my dad's collection. Probably fifty plus records or so. Once I have the disposable income, I'll start buying my own.
    __________________
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Alazais View Post
    Because I don't see how this could possibly go wrong... How do I upload pictures?
    -andy
    aclark0622 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Reply

    Bookmarks

    Thread Tools
    Display Modes

    Posting Rules
    You may not post new threads
    You may not post replies
    You may not post attachments
    You may not edit your posts

    BB code is On
    Smilies are On
    [IMG] code is Off
    HTML code is Off

    Forum Jump


    Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here

    All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:48 PM.


    Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
    Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.


       
    Site LinksAbout AntsAnts MobileTweet Tweet
    Home
    Ants+
    Tour Central
    Search bar
    RSS Feeds
    About Us
    Contact Us
    The Ants Blog
    Advertise on Ants
    Ants on your cell phone
    iAnts
    mobile news
    mobile setlists
    antslive!
    Ants' Twitter
    DMBLive Twitter
    Matt's Twitter
    Jake's Twitter
    Joe's Twitter