Weightlifting - Page 115 - Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion
Old 01-13-2012, 09:30 AM   #3421
Devilspawn
Devil's poser ego

Shows Seen: 32

DMB Hub Stubs: 16

My Tour Central Stats

Re: Weightlifting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodey View Post
I don't get why you all are so against talking at the gym if it doesn't interrupt your/their workout.

It's one of the better places to meet people that have similar interests as you and in general is probably a better place to meet someone than say a bar.
I totally see your point here. I don't have problem with talking to people at the gym, I have a problem with talking to people while they or I are working out.

If you really feel the need to be friendly with me do it before I put my ear buds in or after I take them out. I like to think that I'll be more than friendly after or before my ear buds are in and just annoyed in between unless there's something you really need to say like I got a big hole in the back of my shorts and you can see my a$$.

the exception I make to all of this is if you need a spot. I know that feeling of not having a spot when you workout alone...by all means ask me then.

• Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here
  • Old 01-13-2012, 09:42 AM   #3422
    Andrew4Bama
    Tub Rock

Shows Seen: 2

DMB Hub Stubs: 1

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    I don't get why you all are so against talking at the gym if it doesn't interrupt your/their workout.

It's one of the better places to meet people that have similar interests as you and in general is probably a better place to meet someone than say a bar.
    Eh, working out isn't really any interest of mine.
    Andrew4Bama is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-13-2012, 11:49 AM   #3423
    dmbredsox36
    'celebrate we will'

Shows Seen: 0

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by dreamingtreeIU View Post
    Alright, weighltifters. The gym in the building I work in has just about everything but free weights for bench press/squats. There is a bar and free weights but they are on a track and thus you can't really get the same workout in. I am starting to make a habit of going down there (or trying to). Are there any dumbell or other exercises that mimic bench press and squats? Those two work a lot of muscles and I want to incorporate them into my workout.

Right now, I lift for about 15-20 and then jog/eliptical for the other 30 or so. I plan to work out 4 days a week and do weights on 2 of them, cardio the other two. Any advice?
    I want to help you out, but I just can't with your avatar. We'll talk on sunday.
    dmbredsox36 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-13-2012, 12:31 PM   #3424
    Rodey
    Fiesta, Forever

Shows Seen: 16

DMB Hub Stubs: 10

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Andrew4Bama View Post
    Eh, working out isn't really any interest of mine.
    Point taken. I guess there are those who just do it to do it and don't enjoy it. I would venture to guess though that most people who workout and are active do it because they enjoy it. Maybe not all to the same extent, but I haven't encountered too many people that absolutely hate working out, but do it anyway.
    Old 01-13-2012, 02:00 PM   #3425
    sheldonlevene
    Mr. 1k

Shows Seen: 35

DMB Hub Stubs: 15

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Point taken. I guess there are those who just do it to do it and don't enjoy it. I would venture to guess though that most people who workout and are active do it because they enjoy it. Maybe not all to the same extent, but I haven't encountered too many people that absolutely hate working out, but do it anyway.
    I not only feel compelled, but I really enjoy my 1-2 hrs in the gym.
    sheldonlevene is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-13-2012, 02:27 PM   #3426
    fridge112887
    William Perry

Shows Seen: 13

DMB Hub Stubs: 7

My Tour Central Stats

Jesus, there's ANOTHER one

http://www.jackrack.com/
    Old 01-13-2012, 02:53 PM   #3427
    Rodey
    Fiesta, Forever

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by fridge112887 View Post

I saw an infomercial for this the other day while I was getting my haircut. I have to admit, I love the name.
    Old 01-13-2012, 05:12 PM   #3428
    Devilspawn
    Devil's poser ego

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:

Quote:
    I saw an infomercial for this the other day while I was getting my haircut. I have to admit, I love the name.
    would buy just to do inverted pullups

not serious...

sorta serious...
    Old 01-13-2012, 06:34 PM   #3429
    jpevear

Shows Seen: 39

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Devilspawn View Post
    would buy just to do inverted pullups

not serious...

sorta serious...
    Just added those to my back routine.... but I'm content using the smith machine at my gym versus paying $200-400 dollars for Chuck's contraption.

And while using your body for resistance is great and all, you'll never get bigger (or it's very hard to do) because the resistance will always be the same. Which of course, leads you straight down plateau road. I suppose you can reduce the time between sets or increase your reps... but that's not how I like to work out.
    Old 01-13-2012, 06:36 PM   #3430
    Andrew4Bama
    Tub Rock

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    I really enjoy running, just not lifting weights. It's not like I hate working out though.
    Old 01-13-2012, 06:37 PM   #3431
    jpevear

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by dreamingtreeIU View Post
    Alright, weighltifters. The gym in the building I work in has just about everything but free weights for bench press/squats. There is a bar and free weights but they are on a track and thus you can't really get the same workout in. I am starting to make a habit of going down there (or trying to). Are there any dumbell or other exercises that mimic bench press and squats? Those two work a lot of muscles and I want to incorporate them into my workout.

Right now, I lift for about 15-20 and then jog/eliptical for the other 30 or so. I plan to work out 4 days a week and do weights on 2 of them, cardio the other two. Any advice?
    Consider it a gift that you're limited to dumbbell exercises. I haven't touched a straight bar for bench press, incline press, shoulder press, etc. in over a year. All of these exercises can be done, with much more effectiveness, mind you, using dumbbells. That's my opinion.
    Old 01-13-2012, 06:40 PM   #3432
    jpevear

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    I really enjoy running, just not lifting weights. It's not like I hate working out though.
    Running is great for maintenance.... but if you're not pushing yourself harder than your previous run, than you're not doing much other than maintaining.

EDIT: Not saying this is wrong, just saying, pacing yourself and doing the same amount of miles in the same amount of time day after day won't be very beneficial to your body, as it will adapt very quickly and like mentioned above in my body resistance post, you'll be running down plateau road in no time.

Last edited by jpevear; 01-13-2012 at 06:43 PM.
    jpevear is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-13-2012, 06:45 PM   #3433
    Andrew4Bama
    Tub Rock

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by jpevear View Post
    Running is great for maintenance.... but if you're not pushing yourself harder than your previous run, than you're not doing much other than maintaining.

EDIT: Not saying this is wrong, just saying, pacing yourself and doing the same amount of miles in the same amount of time day after day won't be very beneficial to your body, as it will adapt very quickly and like mentioned above in my body resistance post, you'll be running down plateau road in no time.
    Sometimes I run just to get out and get my mind off things, but most of the time I do interval running.
    Old 01-13-2012, 06:56 PM   #3434
    fridge112887
    William Perry

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Consider it a gift that you're limited to dumbbell exercises. I haven't touched a straight bar for bench press, incline press, shoulder press, etc. in over a year. All of these exercises can be done, with much more effectiveness, mind you, using dumbbells. That's my opinion.
    Not sure whether I've mentioned here or not, but I'm pro DB as well. Of course, you run into problems advancing in weight.
    Old 01-14-2012, 05:54 AM   #3435
    jpevear

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Sometimes I run just to get out and get my mind off things, but most of the time I do interval running.
    I ran for 20 years and found it to be a great way to unwind/ collect my thoughts after a day of work. And i also ran just so that I could offset the wine I drank each evening. (Maintaining).
    Old 01-14-2012, 07:53 AM   #3436
    jpevear

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Not sure whether I've mentioned here or not, but I'm pro DB as well. Of course, you run into problems advancing in weight.
    I haven't had that problem, yet. I was forced into lifting dumbbells because all of the bro's usually have the benches tied up. You know, 5 guys around one bench, chatting, practicing the moves they saw on last nights UFC fight, and / or dancing in the mirror to the awful rap music their listening to on their headphones.

Love wiggers.
    Old 01-14-2012, 01:37 PM   #3437
    Devilspawn
    Devil's poser ego

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Just added those to my back routine.... but I'm content using the smith machine at my gym versus paying $200-400 dollars for Chuck's contraption.

And while using your body for resistance is great and all, you'll never get bigger (or it's very hard to do) because the resistance will always be the same. Which of course, leads you straight down plateau road. I suppose you can reduce the time between sets or increase your reps... but that's not how I like to work out.
    I would take a gym membership over this anytime for all the reasons you just said, but if this is all I could get for whatever reason it's not too shabby I suppose
    Old 01-14-2012, 01:46 PM   #3438
    Rodey
    Fiesta, Forever

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:

Eh, I don't think that's fair to say. It's still cardiovascular exercise and still is going to be very beneficial to your heart health in the long haul.
    Old 01-14-2012, 04:02 PM   #3439
    fridge112887
    William Perry

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    I haven't had that problem, yet. I was forced into lifting dumbbells because all of the bro's usually have the benches tied up. You know, 5 guys around one bench, chatting, practicing the moves they saw on last nights UFC fight, and / or dancing in the mirror to the awful rap music their listening to on their headphones.

Love wiggers.
    Without bros, I would not have had a Halloween costume 3 years ago. So for that, I thank them........but they can still go to hell.
    Old 01-15-2012, 07:03 PM   #3440
    Andrew4Bama
    Tub Rock

My Tour Central Stats

I think I'm about to order Omega Sports Ultima pre-workout supplement. For those of you who don't know, it's stimulant free. Anyone ever tried it?
    Old 01-15-2012, 09:38 PM   #3441
    fridge112887
    William Perry

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    I think I'm about to order Omega Sports Ultima pre-workout supplement. For those of you who don't know, it's stimulant free. Anyone ever tried it?
    Do it

You most likely won't feel that 'jittery' stimulant rush, but it's still a quality product. I will warn you that the taste is something you may have to get used to (along with the fact that it's what, $45? Bit expensive for a PWO but I'd say it's well worth it)
    Old 01-15-2012, 09:40 PM   #3442
    Rodey
    Fiesta, Forever

My Tour Central Stats

I have a sample of C4 Extreme or some shit like that, that I may try tomorrow before my chest workout. Anyone ever use it?
    Old 01-15-2012, 09:54 PM   #3443
    Andrew4Bama
    Tub Rock

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Do it

You most likely won't feel that 'jittery' stimulant rush, but it's still a quality product. I will warn you that the taste is something you may have to get used to (along with the fact that it's what, $45? Bit expensive for a PWO but I'd say it's well worth it)
    Yea, everything I've read is saying that it's keeps you focused more than anything. I'm not a big fan of the jittery rush anyway. It is a bit pricey, but you get what you pay for. Seems to be about as "clean" as a PWO can be.

Quote:
    I have a sample of C4 Extreme or some shit like that, that I may try tomorrow before my chest workout. Anyone ever use it?
    Yep, got a sample from GNC a while back. I thought it worked pretty well the first day, but I didn't really notice much of an a effect the next 4 days. Also, I had a crazy headache the first two days after my workout. But who knows, that could have been from unrelated things.
    Old 01-15-2012, 10:02 PM   #3444
    fridge112887
    William Perry

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Yea, everything I've read is saying that it's keeps you focused more than anything. I'm not a big fan of the jittery rush anyway. It is a bit pricey, but you get what you pay for. Seems to be about as "clean" as a PWO can be.

Yep, got a sample from GNC a while back. I thought it worked pretty well the first day, but I didn't really notice much of an a effect the next 4 days. Also, I had a crazy headache the first two days after my workout. But who knows, that could have been from unrelated things.
    Cheapest I've seen is $45. Quality profile

I assume you developed a tolerance/experienced headaches due to the 1,3 dimethylamylamine (DMAA). For me, I have to cycle on/off from the DMAA to reap the full benefits of the product.
    Old 01-15-2012, 10:08 PM   #3445
    Andrew4Bama
    Tub Rock

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Cheapest I've seen is $45. Quality profile

I assume you developed a tolerance/experienced headaches due to the 1,3 dimethylamylamine (DMAA). For me, I have to cycle on/off from the DMAA to reap the full benefits of the product.
    That's probably what it was. That's one of the reasons I want to use a stim free PWO. Is it possible to build up a tolerance to those?
    Old 01-15-2012, 10:23 PM   #3446
    fridge112887
    William Perry

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    That's probably what it was. That's one of the reasons I want to use a stim free PWO. Is it possible to build up a tolerance to those?
    No, I don't believe so.
    Old 01-16-2012, 05:54 AM   #3447
    ji/\/\ithing
    Missing Roi... Always

Shows Seen: 50

DMB Hub Stubs: 22

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    i got the same thing yesterday with my isopure, i'm trying it today. just started working out a week ago and i already feel much better, more energetic (edit: from working out, not the C4 ). i'm sure part of that is that i'm eating healthy for the first time in probably 12+ years.

Last edited by ji/\/\ithing; 01-16-2012 at 05:56 AM.
    ji/\/\ithing is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-16-2012, 06:28 AM   #3448
    jpevear

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Looks like someone ordered from BB.com

I got the same sample... Gonna try it after my N.O. Xplode is depleted.

Let me know what you think.
    Old 01-16-2012, 06:31 AM   #3449
    jpevear

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Eh, I don't think that's fair to say. It's still cardiovascular exercise and still is going to be very beneficial to your heart health in the long haul.
    I suppose you're right. It does have its benefits and it's certainly better than doing nothing at all.
    Old 01-16-2012, 07:48 AM   #3450
    ji/\/\ithing
    Missing Roi... Always

Shows Seen: 50

DMB Hub Stubs: 22

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Looks like someone ordered from BB.com

I got the same sample... Gonna try it after my N.O. Xplode is depleted.

Let me know what you think.
    this is where i got mine as well. anyone post over there? i just joined up, but it seems even more cliquey than Ants.
    ji/\/\ithing is offline   Reply With Quote