I can pretty comfortably say that Baby Blue is Big 3 good - Page 7 - Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion

Go Back   Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion > Archive > 'Big Whiskey and the GrooGrux King' Album Discussion

Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here

Old 06-09-2009, 02:00 PM   #181
Arby
We Have The Meats

Shows Seen: 24

DMB Hub Stubs: 12

My Tour Central Stats

Re: I can pretty comfortably say that Baby Blue is Big 3 good

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmknd1 View Post
no one should purposely not be hitting notes just so something sounds more heartfelt or whatever. it pains my ears to listen to this song. I know dave can hit the notes and that's why i don't understand why they would release it the way it is. it could sound 10x better.
Well, I doubt he was purposely not hitting the notes. Maybe he was choked up while singing and they decided to keep that take because of that.

• Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here
  • Old 06-09-2009, 08:23 PM   #182
    kmknd1
    Kmknd1

Shows Seen: 26

DMB Hub Stubs: 16

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by som3d3vil34 View Post
    Well, I doubt he was purposely not hitting the notes. Maybe he was choked up while singing and they decided to keep that take because of that.
    even so, i'd rather hear him sing it well than hear the emotion. it would help out the track a whole lot, imo
    Old 06-09-2009, 08:48 PM   #183
    HolyCow
    Cubs Win!

Shows Seen: 11

DMB Hub Stubs: 4

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    no one should purposely not be hitting notes just so something sounds more heartfelt or whatever. it pains my ears to listen to this song. I know dave can hit the notes and that's why i don't understand why they would release it the way it is. it could sound 10x better.

The fact you don't get it is funny.

Ryan Adams once said while making an album after one of the other musicians made a little mistake during recording, "You can't pay for mistakes like that." What he means is that a band isn't perfect live. And they shouldn't make everything perfect in the studio. Tiny mistakes or missteps add charm to a song and make it memorable. Little things that aren't all that noticeable but if you're listening closely, you hear. It makes it sound like MUSIC, instead of just some perfected cookie cutter song.

Some may not get what I'm saying, but it definitely makes sense to me.
    Old 06-09-2009, 08:53 PM   #184
    thezeemaneffect

Shows Seen: 8

DMB Hub Stubs: 8

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by HolyCow View Post

Ryan Adams once said while making an album after one of the other musicians made a little mistake during recording, "You can't pay for mistakes like that." What he means is that a band isn't perfect live. And they shouldn't make everything perfect in the studio. Tiny mistakes or missteps add charm to a song and make it memorable. Little things that aren't all that noticeable but if you're listening closely, you hear. It makes it sound like MUSIC, instead of just some perfected cookie cutter song.

For instance: Neil Young
    Old 06-09-2009, 09:41 PM   #185
    sugarwill7

Shows Seen: 12

DMB Hub Stubs: 10

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by thezeemaneffect View Post
    For instance: Neil Young
    Yes, I was thinking the same thing, "Mellow My Mind" is a perfect example of an amazing song that's strained vocals add to the feeling it is trying to give off. Love that song.
    Old 06-10-2009, 07:09 AM   #186
    z28snksknr
    Seeking a Remedy

Shows Seen: 6

DMB Hub Stubs: 9

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Terrible, terrible arguements. Dave himself said on a radio interview that the song was about Roi disguised as a love song. So that completely ruins your post. Have fun listening to Everyday.
    So if you start writing a song about a friend that died but change the words to be a love song and make the male friend a female you had a romantic relationship with, that's what I'm supposed to hear when I hear "your kiss still knocks me off my feet"?

While it may have been the basis for the original lyrics of the song, Dave evidently didn't want it to be taken as such so he changed the lyrics and meaning of the song to be a male-female love song.

Bottom line, the song evolved from a Roi tribute into a love song. The end result doesn't have to line up or be linked in any way to the original intent. What it may mean to DAVE is not what it needs to mean to YOU.

And to the several people who say my argument is not intelligent, at least I'm posing my thoughts in a rational manner and with my angle and opinion rather than regurgitating Dave's words as your own in the interest of "being correct". When is the last time you had the capacity to think and develop your own interpretation of a song? If you never read that Dave excerpt (like me), what would you have said? Probably nothing because you have no original thought process.
    Old 06-10-2009, 07:26 AM   #187
    sugarwill7

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by z28snksknr View Post
    So if you start writing a song about a friend that died but change the words to be a love song and make the male friend a female you had a romantic relationship with, that's what I'm supposed to hear when I hear "your kiss still knocks me off my feet"?

While it may have been the basis for the original lyrics of the song, Dave evidently didn't want it to be taken as such so he changed the lyrics and meaning of the song to be a male-female love song.

Bottom line, the song evolved from a Roi tribute into a love song. The end result doesn't have to line up or be linked in any way to the original intent. What it may mean to DAVE is not what it needs to mean to YOU.

And to the several people who say my argument is not intelligent, at least I'm posing my thoughts in a rational manner and with my angle and opinion rather than regurgitating Dave's words as your own in the interest of "being correct". When is the last time you had the capacity to think and develop your own interpretation of a song? If you never read that Dave excerpt (like me), what would you have said? Probably nothing because you have no original thought process.
    When I'm unsure about the meaning of a song and then I hear the person who wrote the song explain the meaning behind it in detail, I tend to go with that interpretation as opposed to arrogantly/delusionally claiming that I actually know what the song is about better than the person who wrote it. But that's just me.
    Old 06-10-2009, 07:30 AM   #188
    solsburyhill
    MM #57

DMB Hub Stubs: 5

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:

So are you saying this is not about Roi?

Old 06-10-2009, 07:44 AM   #189
    z28snksknr
    Seeking a Remedy

My Tour Central Stats

I guess I need to state that I'm of the opinion that like most artistic forms- painting, music, performing arts, etc. the meaning and interpretation is left to the viewer, not the originator. While the artist may have a certain "avenue" that they want to portray in their work, it is what the viewer of the work interprets as the meaning that is the truth- TO THAT PERSON and cannot be judged as "wrong".

In this case, Dave wrote a tribute to Roi but changed it to be a love song- his words apparently. To me, I interpret this song to be about a female love interest, probably the artists first true love, that was lost and/ or died. That is what I've chosen as the song's meaning to me. I don't care what Dave's own personal meaning is becasue it's HIS.

If you want to take original or "artist intended" meanings of songs or any art for that matter as the only valid meaning to you personally, then I feel sorry for you that you have no ability to personally connect to anything unless the intended meaning aligns with your own personal experience. In this case, you are taking an altered tribute to Dave's friend that died as your own tribute to someone (i'm guessing) you have never met and identifying Dave's emotions towards Roi as your own towards Roi which is artificial since you never spoke to the man or was a close friend of his.

I picture you singing along with Dave - "Your kiss still knocks me off my legs" and you think YOU are singing a tribute to Roi along with Dave. THAT is fucking stupid on MANY levels.
    Old 06-10-2009, 07:49 AM   #190
    z28snksknr
    Seeking a Remedy

My Tour Central Stats

To further my point, I suggest you watch the VH1 Storytellers "Pearl Jam" where Eddy describes how when he originally sung "I'm still alive" he was cursing that fact but when the audience interpreted it as a joyous exclamation, it changed the song for HIM to mean that.

If that doesn't drive home my point that the audience determines the meaning of songs, I don't know what does.
    Old 06-10-2009, 07:55 AM   #191
    SteveIsGood347
    Reckless Mind

Shows Seen: 28

DMB Hub Stubs: 13

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    I guess I need to state that I'm of the opinion that like most artistic forms- painting, music, performing arts, etc. the meaning and interpretation is left to the viewer, not the originator. While the artist may have a certain "avenue" that they want to portray in their work, it is what the viewer of the work interprets as the meaning that is the truth- TO THAT PERSON and cannot be judged as "wrong".

In this case, Dave wrote a tribute to Roi but changed it to be a love song- his words apparently. To me, I interpret this song to be about a female love interest, probably the artists first true love, that was lost and/ or died. That is what I've chosen as the song's meaning to me. I don't care what Dave's own personal meaning is becasue it's HIS.

If you want to take original or "artist intended" meanings of songs or any art for that matter as the only valid meaning to you personally, then I feel sorry for you that you have no ability to personally connect to anything unless the intended meaning aligns with your own personal experience. In this case, you are taking an altered tribute to Dave's friend that died as your own tribute to someone (i'm guessing) you have never met and identifying Dave's emotions towards Roi as your own towards Roi which is artificial since you never spoke to the man or was a close friend of his.

I picture you singing along with Dave - "Your kiss still knocks me off my legs" and you think YOU are singing a tribute to Roi along with Dave. THAT is fucking stupid on MANY levels.
    If a band writes a song as a moving tribute to their fallen bandmate/friend, you don't get to say to them "This song is about what I goddamn say it is, and your input in irrelevant."

And to your earlier point. as DMB fans we all have a musical respect/admiration/love for Leroi that made us feel his loss too. I would have thought anyone posting on DMB fan site would have loved hearing a tribute to a man who has had an impact on our lives.
    Old 06-10-2009, 08:16 AM   #192
    Arby
    We Have The Meats

Shows Seen: 24

DMB Hub Stubs: 12

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:

I'll be honest, your arguements don't make sense to me.

What is wrong with a song about Roi hidden in a love song. If Dave made it too literal, it would end up sounding something like this:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EfbiSIeLS64

There are a lot of lines in the song that could easily mean something other than the literal. For example:

"your kiss still knocks me off my feet." Roi's kiss doesnt have to be an actual KISS. Maybe kiss = sax playing. It makes sense. And there you go...some original thought!
    Old 06-10-2009, 08:16 AM   #193
    z28snksknr
    Seeking a Remedy

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by SteveIsGood347 View Post
    If a band writes a song as a moving tribute to their fallen bandmate/friend, you don't get to say to them "This song is about what I goddamn say it is, and your input in irrelevant."

And to your earlier point. as DMB fans we all have a musical respect/admiration/love for Leroi that made us feel his loss too. I would have thought anyone posting on DMB fan site would have loved hearing a tribute to a man who has had an impact on our lives.
    Again, you skip over my point that "IT IS WHAT THE SONG MEANS TO ME".

JUST BECAUSE ELTON JOHN WROTE "A CANDLE IN THE WIND" ABOUT MARYLN MONROE (AND AGAIN, LATER, ABOUT PRINCESS DIANA), DOES NOT MEAN THAT I CAN'T APPLY IT TO SOMEONE ELSE OR ANOTHER PERSON AS INTERPRETED BY ME, YOU, OR ANYONE ELSE WHO HEARS THE SONG.

music is not a dictation of feelings, emotions, or subject matter that has to be punched through your head by the artist and taken as concrete. As a human being, you have the freedom of developing your own thoughts and interpretation about something- why relinquish that freedom?
    Old 06-10-2009, 08:29 AM   #194
    lotas
    would u not like 2 be?

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:

:l ol

This post is oozing with irony, arrogance, and hilarity.
    Old 06-10-2009, 08:30 AM   #195
    z28snksknr
    Seeking a Remedy

My Tour Central Stats

Applying what you are saying to any other love song, you would then say that a couple who takes a love song about the artist and their loved one and makes it "their song" is wrong in doing so and should only apply that to the artists love interest?

I doubt anyone would agree with that. How is that different here?
    Old 06-10-2009, 08:32 AM   #196
    HolyCow
    Cubs Win!

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Again, you skip over my point that "IT IS WHAT THE SONG MEANS TO ME".

JUST BECAUSE ELTON JOHN WROTE "A CANDLE IN THE WIND" ABOUT MARYLN MONROE (AND AGAIN, LATER, ABOUT PRINCESS DIANA), DOES NOT MEAN THAT I CAN'T APPLY IT TO SOMEONE ELSE OR ANOTHER PERSON AS INTERPRETED BY ME, YOU, OR ANYONE ELSE WHO HEARS THE SONG.

music is not a dictation of feelings, emotions, or subject matter that has to be punched through your head by the artist and taken as concrete. As a human being, you have the freedom of developing your own thoughts and interpretation about something- why relinquish that freedom?
    But that's not what you have been saying at all. You've been arguing what the interpretation means. You even went as far to quote lines out of and call us stupid for saying so. You've been TELLING us what it means.

You simply could have said, "I know the song is about Roi, but to me, I hear it as a song about children and parents." End of story. But noooooo, you had to go al douchey on us.
    Old 06-10-2009, 08:33 AM   #197
    aoeiifreak

Shows Seen: 0

DMB Hub Stubs: 1

My Tour Central Stats

Yep, I agree.
    Old 06-10-2009, 08:34 AM   #198
    sugarwill7

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    But that's not what you have been saying at all. You've been arguing what the interpretation means. You even went as far to quote lines out of and call us stupid for saying so. You've been TELLING us what it means.

You simply could have said, "I know the song is about Roi, but to me, I hear it as a song about children and parents." End of story. But noooooo, you had to go al douchey on us.
    Old 06-10-2009, 08:44 AM   #199
    solsburyhill
    MM #57

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Applying what you are saying to any other love song, you would then say that a couple who takes a love song about the artist and their loved one and makes it "their song" is wrong in doing so and should only apply that to the artists love interest?

No one is saying it's wrong to interpret the song how you want. I do that with 95% of music, but when a song is so blatant in its meaning, I care to interpret how the artist interpreted it.

It's about Roi. Dave said it. I apply the song to losing one of my great friends to cancer in high school. It has nothing to do with love to me.

Old 06-10-2009, 09:01 AM   #200
    kmknd1
    Kmknd1

Shows Seen: 26

DMB Hub Stubs: 16

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:

little mistakes are fine... just not when it makes a song bad. i skip over baby blue every time i listen to the album now because i just don't want to hear dave butcher the vocals. i bet he can do a better job live and on the album, which is why it doesn't make sense to me.
    Old 06-10-2009, 09:14 AM   #201
    solsburyhill
    MM #57

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    little mistakes are fine... just not when it makes a song bad. i skip over baby blue every time i listen to the album now because i just don't want to hear dave butcher the vocals. i bet he can do a better job live and on the album, which is why it doesn't make sense to me.
    outside of vocals, do you like the song?

Old 06-10-2009, 10:11 AM   #202
    z28snksknr
    Seeking a Remedy

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by solsburyhill View Post
    No one is saying it's wrong to interpret the song how you want. I do that with 95% of music, but when a song is so blatant in its meaning, I care to interpret how the artist interpreted it.

It's about Roi. Dave said it. I apply the song to losing one of my great friends to cancer in high school. It has nothing to do with love to me.
    I think it is wonderful that you identify with it and you have a connection to the song, even if that connection is an unfortuante one.

My intent in my original post is that people here say "the song is about Roi and nothing else, so you have to like it and treat it as such" to which I posted reasons why it means something different to me and as a result, I do not identify with it. You (as in others in general, not you personally) should be open to say "I understand why you would say that and not identify with the song, and by the way, here is my take for you to consider". Instead, people just come back like babies and say "...but.... Dave said it...." because they only know how to be parasites off others thoughts. At that point, its not a discussion board, its an "anything other than what I know to be true is wrong board".
    Old 06-10-2009, 10:21 AM   #203
    HolyCow
    Cubs Win!

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    I think it is wonderful that you identify with it and you have a connection to the song, even if that connection is an unfortuante one.

My intent in my original post is that people here say "the song is about Roi and nothing else, so you have to like it and treat it as such" to which I posted reasons why it means something different to me and as a result, I do not identify with it. You (as in others in general, not you personally) should be open to say "I understand why you would say that and not identify with the song, and by the way, here is my take for you to consider". Instead, people just come back like babies and say "...but.... Dave said it...." because they only know how to be parasites off others thoughts. At that point, its not a discussion board, its an "anything other than what I know to be true is wrong board".
    Shall we look back at what you originally said?

Quote:
    I agree with every negative comment made about Baby Blue. It's musically boring and never finds a rhythm or groove. Lyrically, it sounds like a bunch of scrap love song lines were loaded into a shotgun and shot at the wall- whatever sticks was the lyrics.

That and I do not see the Roi connection:

Examples:
    1. "Confess, your kiss still knocks me off my legs." (try forcing a Roi connection on this one I dare you)
    2. "‘cause you’ll forever be my one true broken heart" (ever refer to a dead friend or relative as a broken heart?... me either)
    3. "Goodbye my love" (again, ever refer to a heterosexual male-male relationship as "my love"?)
    4. "You give, you give, to this I can attest You made me, you made me.
    You and me forever, baby." (I can see this for someone's first love or their mother, but not a friend)
    5. The first time I saw you was like a punch right through my chest (see #4 above as reference to a first love. for everyone who is forcing this line to be "when he first saw Roi or the first time he heard Roi play- STOP IT.)

There. that's probably 80% of the significant lyrics of the song, all not being able to link to Roi in any reasonable fashion. You can't tell me the other 20% should be taken as such. You're forcing the issue because you saw someone else say it was for Roi. Get your own thoughts.

P.S. - If this song were on Some Devil it would have a chance since Dave was taking a simpler approach to music there. Here, its lame and takes the spot of better songs that only the people that paid $60 get to hear (beach ball, #27, and others). This is probably the first "full band album" song that I honestly don't see myself ever wanting to listen to or even tolerate when its on.
    I don't think what you wrote here was an open discussion about the interpretation of these lyrics. You say, "You're forcing the issue because you saw someone else say it was for Roi. Get your own thoughts." I assume the thoughts I'm supposed to get are ones like yours? Then will I be correct?

You also say, "That's probably 80% of the significant lyrics of the song, all not being able to link to Roi in any reasonable fashion." You say the lyrics don't link to Roi in any reasonable fashion. When obviously if you open up your brain a bit and don't listen to the song at face value, you can hear that.

Now you're trying to say "This is how I interpreted it!" but really, you came in saying we were all crazy for making the connection to Roi. Seriously, re-read your original post.

I think what's happened here is you came in to hate on the song and by doing do, revealed how horribly uninformed you were about it. Now that you've been entirely called out and made to look stupid, you're trying to back off your original statement.
    Old 06-10-2009, 10:23 AM   #204
    z28snksknr
    Seeking a Remedy

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    I'll be honest, your arguements don't make sense to me.

What is wrong with a song about Roi hidden in a love song. If Dave made it too literal, it would end up sounding something like this:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EfbiSIeLS64

There are a lot of lines in the song that could easily mean something other than the literal. For example:

"your kiss still knocks me off my feet." Roi's kiss doesnt have to be an actual KISS. Maybe kiss = sax playing. It makes sense. And there you go...some original thought!
    If that's what you want to take from the song, then I respect your choice. The way I approach music is that to Dave and Dave alone, that song is a tribute to Roi. To anyone else who listens to it, it is whatever you want it to be to you. None of us were friends with Roi, so to me, taking this song as a tribute to Roi to me makes for an artificial connection. I loved the guys music, but to assume that we all have the same emotional connection to Roi that Dave does because he played sax for a band we like (therefore preventing us from making the song our own)is not valid in my opinion.

Again, that's my opinion and how I interpret and enjoy music. To each his own.
    Old 06-10-2009, 10:26 AM   #205
    sugarwill7

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:

There is a difference between having "your take" on a song and debating what the song is actually about. We all agree that different songs mean different things to different people but if an artists comes out and publically states what a song is about only a complete moron (hint: you) would insult the intelligence of others for conforming to the artist's explanation. That doesn't make us "parasites", it makes us logical thinkers. It is obvious from your comments so far that you don't have a very high IQ and/or lack a significant amount of common sense so you're probably not very good with logic so I can understand why you may be confused.

Last edited by sugarwill7; 06-10-2009 at 10:27 AM.
    Old 06-10-2009, 10:28 AM   #206
    z28snksknr
    Seeking a Remedy

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Shall we look back at what you originally said?

I don't think what you wrote here was an open discussion about the interpretation of these lyrics. You say, "You're forcing the issue because you saw someone else say it was for Roi. Get your own thoughts." I assume the thoughts I'm supposed to get are ones like yours? Then will I be correct?

You also say, "That's probably 80% of the significant lyrics of the song, all not being able to link to Roi in any reasonable fashion." You say the lyrics don't link to Roi in any reasonable fashion. When obviously if you open up your brain a bit and don't listen to the song at face value, you can hear that.

Now you're trying to say "This is how I interpreted it!" but really, you came in saying we were all crazy for making the connection to Roi. Seriously, re-read your original post.

I think what's happened here is you came in to hate on the song and by doing do, revealed how horribly uninformed you were about it. Now that you've been entirely called out and made to look stupid, you're trying to back off your original statement.
    I don't understand how my original post is saying anything different from saying that people should make up their own minds about the meaning of the song instead of hearing Dave's intent and then applying it to the lyrics verbatim. I gave reasons why the lyrics can and should be open for interpretation instead of closing the door. There is no backpedeling in my posts, just clarification and explaining my reasons.

Nice try though.
    Old 06-10-2009, 10:30 AM   #207
    sugarwill7

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    I don't understand how my original post is saying anything different from saying that people should make up their own minds about the meaning of the song instead of hearing Dave's intent and then applying it to the lyrics verbatim. I gave reasons why the lyrics can and should be open for interpretation instead of closing the door. There is no backpedeling in my posts, just clarification and explaining my reasons.

Nice try though.
    All works of art are open to the viewer/listener's interpretation but that doesn't mean we can't take the artist's orginial intent in creating the work into account when creating our interpretation. You may choose to disregard it all together but that doesn't make people who do so "parasites", it just means they're different than you which from what I can tell so far, would be a good thing.
    Old 06-10-2009, 10:35 AM   #208
    z28snksknr
    Seeking a Remedy

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by sugarwill7 View Post
    There is a difference between having "your take" on a song and debating what the song is actually about. We all agree that different songs mean different things to different people but if an artists comes out and publically states what a song is about only a complete moron (hint: you) would insult the intelligence of others for conforming to the artist's explanation. That doesn't make us "parasites", it makes us logical thinkers. It is obvious from your comments so far that you don't have a very high IQ and/or lack a significant amount of common sense so you're probably not very good with logic so I can understand why you may be confused.
    When did I insult others? I said "I don't see a Roi connection, here's why" and the "parasites" are those poeple that don't demonstrate any ability to convey their own thoughts but just say "you are wrong for having an opinion because its different from mine because I got mine from Dave Matthews".

As for your assesment of my intelligence, the fact that you need to resort to that kind of attack rather than offering your own viewpoint clearly shows who is the one lacking.
    Old 06-10-2009, 10:39 AM   #209
    SteveIsGood347
    Reckless Mind

Shows Seen: 28

DMB Hub Stubs: 13

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:

First off, if you take say Crush and make it "your" song with your significant other, thats great. For example, I always relate JTR with a specific relationship in my life and how it affected me then.

That was not what you were trying to do here. Your original post was insulting people for believing this song was about Roi. Then you insulted people for making this song a tribute to Roi b/c we didn't personally know him. If you're posts on the song were saying "I relate to this song differently b/c my recent experiences cause me to see it differently," then I dont think anyone would have argued with you. What you did say was this:

"I picture you singing along with Dave - "Your kiss still knocks me off my legs" and you think YOU are singing a tribute to Roi along with Dave. THAT is fucking stupid on MANY levels."
    Old 06-10-2009, 10:41 AM   #210
    z28snksknr
    Seeking a Remedy

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by sugarwill7 View Post
    All works of art are open to the viewer/listener's interpretation but that doesn't mean we can't take the artist's orginial intent in creating the work into account when creating our interpretation. You may choose to disregard it all together but that doesn't make people who do so "parasites", it just means they're different than you which from what I can tell so far, would be a good thing.
    So you are saying you agree with the fact that music should be open to interpretation but because I suggest doing just that I'm not a good person to be like? What does that make you?

The "parasites" comment was directed to people that call me "unintelligent" for offering my opinion when it differes from theirs becasue they inherited theirs from their host.