Harry Potter & The Deathly Hallows (11.19.10 / 7.15.11) - Page 2 - Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion

Go Back   Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion > General Discussion > nDMBc Discussion
Register Rules Community Top Lists Torrents AM.org

Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here

Old 12-04-2009, 09:52 PM   #31
junior94
not a unique snowflake

Shows Seen: 2

DMB Hub Stubs: 4

My Tour Central Stats

Re: Harry Potter & The Deathly Hallows (11.19.10 / 7.15.11)

Quote:
Originally Posted by spoot388 View Post
i try to forget about this bullshit. its really annoying having it shoved down your throat. i've been listening to this HP shit for literally half my life. i read the first book when i was in 7th grade. im going to graduate from freaking COLLEGE before these movies are done.

i read the first book and saw the first movie. didn't care for either of them and don't want to be bothered with them anymore.
I'm sorry but umm, shoved down your throat? I'm pretty sure you chose to open this thread and read any of it, whereas it's just as the dozens of other threads you'd see here on a daily basis, and choose to ignore any number of them as you go.

Now see take "Twilight" for example. This is a property which for I've no interest, never have ever since I first even heard about its existence less than 2 years ago. Obviously it's talked about a lot right now in general pop culture, and even with the Entertainment Weekly magazine that I subscribe to already, when the new one arrives in and there's a Twilight related story on the front cover, I simply go right past that onto whatever it is I do want to read, anything about the books/movies I may see headlines for on the internet while my general browsing, I don't pursue further, and I'm certainly not seeing the movies, by going to the theater as a normal customer or DL'ing it online.

And all of this, despite how much it's taken over the zeitgeist at the moment, because I don't look into it any further than however much I'm naturally exposed to it in my everyday life, I don't really consider myself to be overtaken or anything by it at all, certainly not shoved down my throat. Don't see why it should really be any different for you then with Harry Potter.

"Ohh, why do my actions have consequences?!?!" - Homer J. Simpson
junior94 is offline   Reply With Quote

• Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here
  • Old 12-04-2009, 09:54 PM   #32
    thestand
    Best Ever

Shows Seen: 33

DMB Hub Stubs: 12

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    i try to forget about this bullshit. its really annoying having it shoved down your throat. i've been listening to this HP shit for literally half my life. i read the first book when i was in 7th grade. im going to graduate from freaking COLLEGE before these movies are done.

i read the first book and saw the first movie. didn't care for either of them and don't want to be bothered with them anymore.
    But the point is, it isn't you beating back a mindless drone: people of all ages are excited about the books/movies for a reason. I mean, Shakespeare, Hemingway, and any other pretentious name that I could throw out have a dominant space in my bookshelf, but this series is absolutely worth a read through.
    Will in time both outpace and outlive you, Hail Satan!
    thestand is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 12-04-2009, 11:53 PM   #33
    annie711pm
    Cheesus Crust!

Shows Seen: 41

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:

Well, that is definitely your loss then dude! A friend of mine just decided to read the whole series and when she was finished; said she honestly thought it was the best series of books she had ever read. So, sorry for you
    annie711pm is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 12-05-2009, 01:17 AM   #34
    Jimp210
    Calmer Than You Are

Shows Seen: 3

DMB Hub Stubs: 5

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by junior94 View Post
    I'm sorry but umm, shoved down your throat? I'm pretty sure you chose to open this thread and read any of it, whereas it's just as the dozens of other threads you'd see here on a daily basis, and choose to ignore any number of them as you go.

Now see take "Twilight" for example. This is a property which for I've no interest, never have ever since I first even heard about its existence less than 2 years ago. Obviously it's talked about a lot right now in general pop culture, and even with the Entertainment Weekly magazine that I subscribe to already, when the new one arrives in and there's a Twilight related story on the front cover, I simply go right past that onto whatever it is I do want to read, anything about the books/movies I may see headlines for on the internet while my general browsing, I don't pursue further, and I'm certainly not seeing the movies, by going to the theater as a normal customer or DL'ing it online.

And all of this, despite how much it's taken over the zeitgeist at the moment, because I don't look into it any further than however much I'm naturally exposed to it in my everyday life, I don't really consider myself to be overtaken or anything by it at all, certainly not shoved down my throat. Don't see why it should really be any different for you then with Harry Potter.
    See, but your responding to this guy like you should give a shit. He chose to come into a thread, be a dick, and then re-entered the thread to see who commented back. If he really felt overwhelmed by Harry Potter, and was "tired of it", he wouldn't come into a Harry Potter thread, let alone BACK into it.

But regardless of 'spoot'... Did anybody really like HP6? While I thought it was solid, there were areas I thought were forced. Definitely a step back from HP5, which I thought was honestly the best of the series.

Oh, and is anybody else hoping they don't include the epilogue into HP7? Cheesiest, worst writing I've ever seen.
    Jimp210 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 12-05-2009, 05:01 AM   #35
    brendangen412
    Plumbing Joe

Shows Seen: 13

DMB Hub Stubs: 9

My Tour Central Stats

just posting to say, Goddamn, Emma Watson is gorgeous. I'd like to make her Mrs. brendangen412. Or at the very least, get her and Luna Lovegood, and that girl from the Harry Potter movie with the wizard olympics and we could have a big cuddle and poking party.
    Sweeping the Ghettos of DMBc
    brendangen412 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 12-05-2009, 06:22 AM   #36
    RhodyDMBFan
    I'm in my prime.

Shows Seen: 22

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by laura22 View Post
    i wonder if the date will be pushed for later like the half blood prince was
    I think they only did that because WB didn't have a big summer movie for 2009 and they made enough in 2008 off Dark Knight anyway.
    RhodyDMBFan is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 12-05-2009, 07:43 AM   #37
    annie711pm
    Cheesus Crust!

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jimp210 View Post
    But regardless of 'spoot'... Did anybody really like HP6? While I thought it was solid, there were areas I thought were forced. Definitely a step back from HP5, which I thought was honestly the best of the series.

Oh, and is anybody else hoping they don't include the epilogue into HP7? Cheesiest, worst writing I've ever seen.
    I am not a big fan of 6; not because I thought it was a bad flick, but because of what is left out of the book. (I know I know, they can't include everything but COME ON) I feel at this point, they are almost making their own story.

As for the 5th one, I think the final scene at the ministry is pretty damn badass, but I'm not that big of a fan of the rest of it. That 5th book is so massive; the 4th one is almost as long and I thought that was a much better adaptation. If you rewatch that, they pretty much left Snape out of the entire thing. Given his fundamental role in the series (and major plot points in that book), I'm not cool with that. I'm also just not a huge fan of David Yates.

As for the epilogue, it's already been confirmed from multiple actors and I believe Yates himself that yes, they are doing the epilogue; the kids are all gonna be "aged" into their 30s, and they are going to extend on it; so it won't just be them at the train station. I think I read somewhere that they might be at the Weasleys or something. Hopefully it will be a nice ending to a really badass couple of movies (fingers crossed).
    Old 12-05-2009, 08:24 AM   #38
    smokew11
    1-0

Shows Seen: 40

DMB Hub Stubs: 18

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by RhodyDMBFan View Post
    I think they only did that because WB didn't have a big summer movie for 2009 and they made enough in 2008 off Dark Knight anyway.

this. they needed a big (2nd or 3rd?) quarter movie in the summer to spread it out for the stockholders
    Old 12-05-2009, 09:02 AM   #39
    GinaNMU
    The girl in the shades.

Shows Seen: 45

DMB Hub Stubs: 15

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by sdkelso View Post
    Just finished this book. Fight scene was laaaaame. This series gets way too much credit.
    Disagree. I think the battle was very, very well done and the series is flat out brilliant.
    Old 12-05-2009, 09:49 AM   #40
    tankdan

Shows Seen: 43

DMB Hub Stubs: 17

My Tour Central Stats

I'd love to see "Part 1" end with them flying on the dragon out of Gringotts.

Dan
    tankdan is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 12-05-2009, 10:03 AM   #41
    RhodyDMBFan
    I'm in my prime.

Shows Seen: 22

My Tour Central Stats

As I've read the books; just going by the movie versions I like Prisoner of Azkaban the best and Order of the Phoenix the least. I understand they have to cut stuff from 800 page books but they made Order of Phoenix just for people who have read the books. There was so much that they just didn't explain in the movie that I"m sure is covered in teh book.
    RhodyDMBFan is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 12-05-2009, 10:15 AM   #42
    annie711pm
    Cheesus Crust!

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by tankdan View Post
    I'd love to see "Part 1" end with them flying on the dragon out of Gringotts.

Dan
    I think it's going to end with them getting captured and taken to Malfoy manor, at least that's what I've been reading/hearing on Hp boards/sites.
    Old 12-05-2009, 11:49 AM   #43
    xxdmbxx250
    Je suis une fille!

Shows Seen: 1

My Tour Central Stats

Funny to see this thread on the front page of ndmbc as I was just on the phone talking about it. If you pick up (or have ordered) the Blu-Ray combo pack on Tuesday it has advanced footage of HP- DH Part I. Oh and if you go to Best Buy and buy their combo pack, you get a Death Eater mask. (FYI- The UK version of the mask seems cooler than the US version.)
    xxdmbxx250 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 12-05-2009, 12:02 PM   #44
    DrewD55

Shows Seen: 27

DMB Hub Stubs: 10

My Tour Central Stats

Probably my least favorite book in the series. It suffered terribly from being set outside the environment of Hogwarts. Half the reason the books are so good is how well they capture the adolescent experience, wizard world or otherwise, and Deathly Hallows sorely lacked that. Of course, this is to say nothing of the way the book dragged in the middle, with Harry, Ron, and Hermione talking to the point where I thought I was reading a boring Tarantino script. The decision to split it into two movies is purely a financial motive on the part of Warner Brothers, and it sucks. If there was any book that needed a screenwriter's edit to trim down its content for the screen, it was this one, and yet this is the one that merits two films? Uch. To top it all off, Half-Blood Prince, one of the best books in the series, along with Goblet of Fire and Prisoner of Azkaban, was the worst movie in the series so far, featuring the most clusterfucked script, so I'm not exactly confident in David Yates' abilities to finish the series off. I hate to say it, but I'm half considering waiting for these to hit DVD, rather than wasting $20 on seeing the two movies.
    Old 12-05-2009, 01:37 PM   #45
    Jimp210
    Calmer Than You Are

Shows Seen: 3

DMB Hub Stubs: 5

My Tour Central Stats

Is the same director from 6 really the one doing 7?!?

He was god-awful, and they haven't kept the same director for any of them. He made the "awkwardness of getting older" way too fucking awkward. When Ginny went to tie Harry's shoe I thought she was gonna blow him.

Not to mention it is inexcusable there was no battle scene or funeral at the end of it. And by the way, the reason I thought 5 was so well done is mostly due to the final scene at the ministry. They made the story for me. My mind didn't even make the ministry that cool looking.
    Jimp210 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 12-05-2009, 07:16 PM   #46
    junior94
    not a unique snowflake

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by annie711pm View Post
    As for the 5th one, I think the final scene at the ministry is pretty damn badass, but I'm not that big of a fan of the rest of it. That 5th book is so massive; the 4th one is almost as long and I thought that was a much better adaptation. If you rewatch that, they pretty much left Snape out of the entire thing. Given his fundamental role in the series (and major plot points in that book), I'm not cool with that. I'm also just not a huge fan of David Yates.
    The way I've looked at it, the structure of GoF even originally as a book worked inherently much better for a film anyway, because thanks to the tournament, it's got three major landmarks/set pieces around which to work, it's like there was a natural progression as the steps went forward and trying to figure out this mystery how Harry even got involved. OOTP didn't have much of that at all. It was much more of a subtextual threat.

Having said that, as readers of the series know in comparison to the film for GoF, they massively dropped the ball on explaining how Bartie Crouch Jr was able to stay hidden for so long. After all think about it, in the previous film (PoA) the threat of the entire movie is based around the idea that a prisoner has escaped from Azkaban and so the entire wizarding world is thrown into disarray, the Dementors on a massive nationwide hunt. And then you go into GoF, and with the reveal of Moody not really being Moody, you see it's been an escaped Azkaban prisoner the entire time. I remember when this inconsistency first occurred to me, like hang on, in GoF there was a prisoner missing for an entire school year but nobody knew?? How the hell was that possible when in book 3 the whole world knew Sirius escaped? Obviously there's like an entire chapter in the book dedicated to explaining how that was possible, not touched upon the slightest in the film. (then again it would've taken a radically different way to get that information across, I mean in the movie you can't have this dramatic reveal of your villain towards the end of the 3rd act, then have him sit there and tell a 10 minute story to others of how he'd done it all )

Quote:
    I think it's going to end with them getting captured and taken to Malfoy manor, at least that's what I've been reading/hearing on Hp boards/sites.
    Yea if nothing else based on that leaked trailer we've now seen, I'm very much thinking we'll end at Bill & Fluer's, and Part 2 will kick off with the Gringotts robbery, which think about it, that provides a great, thrilling opening.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jimp210 View Post
    Is the same director from 6 really the one doing 7?!?

He was god-awful, and they haven't kept the same director for any of them. He made the "awkwardness of getting older" way too fucking awkward. When Ginny went to tie Harry's shoe I thought she was gonna blow him.

Not to mention it is inexcusable there was no battle scene or funeral at the end of it. And by the way, the reason I thought 5 was so well done is mostly due to the final scene at the ministry. They made the story for me. My mind didn't even make the ministry that cool looking.
    Yep.

Sorcerer's Stone, Chamber Of Secrets - Chris Columbus
    Prizoner Of Azkaban - Alfonso Cuaron
    Goblet Of Fire - Mike Newell
    Order Of The Phoenix, Half Blood Prince, Deathly Hallows P1/2 - David Yates

At the time I'd been thinking that with Yates having come from only doing TV series work, this was his first feature, that the producers and crew really liked him after OOTP and wanted him to stay on because with him being such a newbie, he was easy to keep under studio control. But who knows if that's true.

As for HBP's ending, producer David Heyman has already said they purposely left out a lot of the fighting from the book to the film because they didn't want would be a ton of battle scenes at the end of DH to then appear as being repetitive. I dunno, on one hand I kinda understand that, but then on other, well hey c'mon that's the story you're telling here after all, that's the way it happened, so tell that story already, even if there's familiarities.

Old 12-05-2009, 07:24 PM   #47
    dmaul1114

Shows Seen: 23

My Tour Central Stats

Looking forward to it. Glad they're splitting it into to movies. HBP was good, but had too much cut out. Especially the stuff dealing with the HBP, them trying to figure out who it was etc. That was a big part of the book and hardly talked about in the movie.
    Shows Attended: 6/15/96; 6/3/98; 5/9/99; 6/4/99; 8/2/02; 8/3/02; 7/14/04; 6/26/05; 6/24/06; 6/28/08; 6/19/09; 6/20/09; 7/27/10; 5/22/12; 12/11/12; 4/7/13; 5/24/14; 5/30/15; 5/28/16; 5/31/17; 5/26/18; 7/27/21; 5/21/22
    dmaul1114 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 12-05-2009, 07:24 PM   #48
    cotton#36
    O||||O

Shows Seen: 72

DMB Hub Stubs: 23

My Tour Central Stats

I guess i have to watch the last one before i can see this one
    cotton#36 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 12-05-2009, 07:42 PM   #49
    junior94
    not a unique snowflake

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by dmaul1114 View Post
    Looking forward to it. Glad they're splitting it into to movies. HBP was good, but had too much cut out. Especially the stuff dealing with the HBP, them trying to figure out who it was etc. That was a big part of the book and hardly talked about in the movie.
    Yea HBP was definitely the movie in the series that dealt with the least what the actual title referred to. And then to have Snape simply just say to Harry at the end "yes, I'm the HBP" and then walk away...

Old 12-05-2009, 08:55 PM   #50
    junior94
    not a unique snowflake

My Tour Central Stats

One other thing I forgot to mention about HBP, I was really quite surprised they bothered to have Timothy Spall come along and get in full Pettigrew wardrdrobe and everthing for what was literlaly no more than 10 seconds of screen time. Obviously here's at Snape's place in the book, and does some more than what we see, but for hte purposes of translating that scene for the film, I think they could've easily left him out of it altogether.

With Bill Nighy coming on in the last film, I'd thought he'd already confirmed he was Scrimgeour, but now I think about it that doesn't make a ton of sense, after all he's only got that one scene of reading the will to HR&H. I could see him more being Grindelwald or Gregoravitch, in flashback stuff.

Old 12-06-2009, 06:42 AM   #51
    annie711pm
    Cheesus Crust!

My Tour Central Stats

http://video.the-leaky-cauldron.org/video/1410

The first teaser trailer from the HBP Blu-Ray. Not gonna lie, I got goosebumps
    Old 12-06-2009, 07:25 AM   #52
    smokew11
    1-0

My Tour Central Stats

hbp comes out tuesday right?
    Old 12-06-2009, 08:27 AM   #53
    smokew11
    1-0

My Tour Central Stats

i just pre-ordered HBP on amazon for my gf for xmas....I got the blu-ray/dvd combo. I dont have a blu-ray yet but I hope to get one around the summer time, and it was only $15 compared to $10 for just the dvd...def. worth it
    Old 12-06-2009, 01:57 PM   #54
    junior94
    not a unique snowflake

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    http://video.the-leaky-cauldron.org/video/1410

The first teaser trailer from the HBP Blu-Ray. Not gonna lie, I got goosebumps
    Awesome, thanks Annie. Still not as good quality as it can be, but at least that's the material in its original source, not someone filming a TV playing the thing.

I was gonna say that I'm surprised that source hasn't been taken and put on YT yet, well apparently it was by a couple different people but they've already been removed by the users themselves.

edit: here's a fan-made teaser that's not so bad either.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LzqZtnJTvJk

Last edited by junior94; 12-06-2009 at 02:00 PM.
    Old 12-06-2009, 02:04 PM   #55
    junior94
    not a unique snowflake

My Tour Central Stats

I've kinda been hoping that when a regular full trailer is made for this, they'll take the same approach that the first Goblet teaser did and put together quick clips showing the kids at each step along the way from the first 3 movies, but in this case doing something from all 6.

Also it'd be badass if a "super trailer" was created for the entire series, much like the 7+ minute thing that was put together for the LOTR trilogy.

Old 12-14-2009, 11:48 AM   #56
    junior94
    not a unique snowflake

My Tour Central Stats

Having gone back and listened to book 6 again recently in the wake of seeing the movie again now that it's come to video, it hit me, the math doesn't seem to add up correctly on the horcruxes. But I'm thinking, I simply have to be wrong in some way, because there are certainly WAY more Potter nutjob fans out there than me, and if this is right, it would've gotten a lot of ink on the web.

I guess to play safe, since this will bring out major revelatory elements of Deathly Hallows, I'll spoiler tag this, even though I'm kinda thinking if someone at this point is looking all the way thru a DH thread, they probably already read the book, not just going by the movies, but still, just so I'm not yelled at...

Click the "Show Spoiler" Button to reveal hidden text.

Old 12-14-2009, 11:51 AM   #57
    K3nTaKa0s
    H2P!

Shows Seen: 12

My Tour Central Stats

Picked up the 6th movie on DVD last week. I haven't watched it yet.
    K3nTaKa0s is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 12-14-2009, 12:09 PM   #58
    Sooner17
    Fishtelling.

DMB Hub Stubs: 2

My Tour Central Stats

@Junior94

From wiki:

Click the "Show Spoiler" Button to reveal hidden text.

Makes sense to me.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Fedx09925 View Post
    Can't a brother just sell a trinket!
    Sooner17 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 12-14-2009, 12:48 PM   #59
    junior94
    not a unique snowflake

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Sooner17 View Post
    @Junior94

From wiki:

Makes sense to me.

Oh okay... well, actually then that makes me feel better, it confirms I'm right! On my total, that is, just the number as we're first told about it by Dumbledore isn't correct, that's all. Voldemort only thinks he made 7, but because of the mess up he wasn't aware of, he'd made the additional one.

Old 12-14-2009, 01:07 PM   #60
    Sooner17
    Fishtelling.

DMB Hub Stubs: 2

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by junior94 View Post
    Oh okay... well, actually then that makes me feel better, it confirms I'm right! On my total, that is, just the number as we're first told about it by Dumbledore isn't correct, that's all. Voldemort only thinks he made 7, but because of the mess up he wasn't aware of, he'd made the additional one.
    It also claims there is only 6 at a given time due to how late he makes Nagini a horcrux another has already been destroyed.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Fedx09925 View Post
    Can't a brother just sell a trinket!
    Sooner17 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
    katie is a gryffinwhore , katie is a whorecrux , merlin's beard! , p.s.: the bird bites , the boy who lived