Weightlifting - Page 189 - Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion
Old 10-28-2015, 06:05 PM   #5641
fridge112887
William Perry

Shows Seen: 13

DMB Hub Stubs: 7

My Tour Central Stats

Re: Weightlifting

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x1-UDBnRnS4

Jeff Seid and most of the YouTube "fitness" industry sucks. I can't stand these clowns and their man tights and high-top Nikes.

• Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here
  • Old 10-29-2015, 08:00 AM   #5642
    WidespreadMule3

Shows Seen: 28

DMB Hub Stubs: 13

My Tour Central Stats

Planet Fitness is coming to my town. Heard so many people saying they're gonna join. Billboards around town claim "$1 down and $10/month." I can only imagine what kind of people are going to be using that gym.
    WidespreadMule3 is online now   Reply With Quote
    Old 10-29-2015, 08:15 AM   #5643
    M. Steng
    Empowered & Informed.

Shows Seen: 21

DMB Hub Stubs: 14

My Tour Central Stats

Lots of conflicting opinions on PF in this thread, if I remember correctly.

It depends on what people want/need out of a gym. Need a place to go ride the bike/run on the treadmill for a half hour, do some crunches, and a few machine exercises? PF is perfect for that. If you're doing anything other than that sort of workout then you'll be very disappointed. The PF I was at in high school (8+ years ago now) didn't allow deadlifting or squatting, dumbbells only went up to 80, and it was poorly managed.

I would never personally join a gym where they "reward" people with pizza and bagels once a week, but that's just me. I can see why people who aren't as into fitness would like it, though.
    Old 10-29-2015, 01:08 PM   #5644
    WidespreadMule3

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by M. Steng View Post

It depends on what people want/need out of a gym. Need a place to go ride the bike/run on the treadmill for a half hour, do some crunches, and a few machine exercises? PF is perfect for that. If you're doing anything other than that sort of workout then you'll be very disappointed. The PF I was at in high school (8+ years ago now) didn't allow deadlifting or squatting, dumbbells only went up to 80, and it was poorly managed.

I would never personally join a gym where they "reward" people with pizza and bagels once a week, but that's just me. I can see why people who aren't as into fitness would like it, though.
    This is my sentiment too. I've used one before when I was out of town and that seemed to be all that was in there, people who were out of shape and wanted to put in the bare minimum efforts to change that.
    Old 10-29-2015, 01:14 PM   #5645
    TheLastStop123
    paper hands

Shows Seen: 39

DMB Hub Stubs: 15

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by M. Steng View Post

They only do pizza/bagels once a month at the one I'm a member at, but I completely agree that it's ridiculous they even offer that.

The funniest part of PF is that they don't even consider themselves a gym - the employees actually wear shirts that say "We are not a gym -we are Planet Fitness!" hahaha such a joke.

For me, it has enough stuff to get a solid workout in. It's cheaper than anything else around here by a mile and I've been too lazy to look elsewhere.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by FromTheMorning View Post
    Antsmarching.org: Came for the DMBc, stayed for the nDMBc.
    TheLastStop123 is online now   Reply With Quote
    Old 10-30-2015, 08:56 AM   #5646
    WidespreadMule3

My Tour Central Stats

I'll be honest, if it was my only option for an economy priced gym, I'd probably go with them. I'm not big enough to be doing higher than 80 lbs db's anyway. I wouldn't like having to use them but it seems silly to drop $50+ a month when I've been paying $15 for a fantastic gym.

Granted, I used to pay $100/month but it had two pools, basketball court, sauna, tanning, child care (not that i needed it) and a bigger weight room than I've ever seen. My $15/month has me good and spoiled.
    Old 10-30-2015, 11:52 AM   #5647
    cry_minarets458
    MM#45 Wacco for Flacco

Location: Give me BETHEL or give me death.... death, death it is then

Shows Seen: 62

DMB Hub Stubs: 21

My Tour Central Stats

I'm probably going to join PF soon due to tight money and less tiem to train. My back has been feeling better, but it's still tight and sharp pains if it twist fully at my waist. It all feels like paraspinal musculature, but I think it's just not having more than a day or two in a row off and a physical part-time job where I'm working overtime every week. back's feeling better, but my knee is now fucked. not sure if a bad sprain or meniscus tear (all tests I can perform myself either show a tear or just a tracking patella, will be beginning my own PT soon lol). can totally understand the good things about PF for people like myself in such a position but for the experienced or heavy lifters, I can see why it's often discriminated against (strong and harsh term, I know)
    *renounces DMB fandom*
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prime Minister
    In fairness Brian Wilson's Beard > Amy Winehouse & the grammys & spoot.
    cry_minarets458 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 11-03-2015, 08:03 PM   #5648
    rustysurf83

Shows Seen: 38

DMB Hub Stubs: 14

My Tour Central Stats

PR'd my Squat by 20 fucking pounds yesterday. Not sure where that came from, I've been lucky to put on 5 pounds a week...
    rustysurf83 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 11-03-2015, 09:47 PM   #5649
    tyler3440

Shows Seen: 17

DMB Hub Stubs: 6

My Tour Central Stats

Just started working out 2 weeks ago for the fist time since i stopped playing football. It feels good to lift weights.

Last edited by tyler3440; 11-03-2015 at 09:50 PM.
    tyler3440 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 11-04-2015, 06:20 AM   #5650
    cry_minarets458
    MM#45 Wacco for Flacco

My Tour Central Stats

Weightlifting

Quote:
    Originally Posted by rustysurf83 View Post
    PR'd my Squat by 20 fucking pounds yesterday. Not sure where that came from, I've been lucky to put on 5 pounds a week...

Nice!! Keep leg day up!
    *renounces DMB fandom*
    Quote:
    Old 11-04-2015, 07:23 AM   #5651
    WidespreadMule3

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by tyler3440 View Post
    Just started working out 2 weeks ago for the fist time since i stopped playing football. It feels good to lift weights.
    Love a good pump. Something about being sore after hitting the gym hard just feels so good. Gets those endorphins and testosterone flowing. It's good to be a man.
    Old 11-04-2015, 10:11 AM   #5652
    fridge112887
    William Perry

My Tour Central Stats

I believe I've voiced my dislike for "bro-split" workouts (i.e. Monday - chest, Tuesday - legs, etc.) but if I haven't, I do not care for them. Unless you're on gear and can benefit from training a body part 1x/week, I think it's a lot of wasted time and potential. When I first started training seriously back when I was 18-19, I did bro-splits and went from 160 to 185-190 within the year. I was also training at a high volume, rotated between chest/back and arms 5x/week ), and had sky high testosterone. Now, eight years later, bro-splits have zero effect on my body. IMO, heavy weight and lots of rest is best. I'm starting a 5x5, three day routine (MWF) that looks something like this:

Squats 5x5
    Bench 5x5
    Deadlift (5x3 or 1x5)
    Pendlay rows 5x5
    Overhead press 5x5
    Weighted abdominal nonsense

and possibly one accessory lift per workout: weighted lunges, weighted back extensions, weighted glute bridges, weighted chins, or weighted dips.

Happy lifting

Last edited by fridge112887; 11-04-2015 at 10:14 AM.
    fridge112887 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 11-04-2015, 12:28 PM   #5653
    dmbman32
    Turn your back, Charles

Shows Seen: 6

DMB Hub Stubs: 5

My Tour Central Stats

Earlier this year, I started dealing with my shoulders/upper body muscles becoming incredibly tight 24/7, as well as tennis elbow in BOTH elbows. Yikes.

While I don't know the exact causes, I'm guessing it was a combo of computer desk work/overall activity/and not giving my body enough rest in between lift days. Also, I incorporated chin-ups/pull-ups/bicep curls all the time, which puts a ton of strain on your elbows and upper body. So, I'm guessing my body just said "you can't do this anymore."

After about 5 chiropractor appointments, PT, and 10 acupuncture treatments, I'm starting to feel a lot better. My elbows are still pretty tender, but at least I can twist them a lot more. However, I've had to give up pull-ups and underhand chin-ups since the summer. I've also had to do neutral grip curls to protect my elbows. The stretching/PT I got also help, because the stretches seem to hit the tight spots. But it's interesting to read on these boards that the stretching doesn't really heal the pain. It just helps prevent it down the road. In my case, the accupuncture is slowly but surely taking care of the healing. It's just crazy how many appointments I've needed to really put this thing to bed. It's also my fault that, before all these issues, I NEVER got massages or anything. Considering how often and hard I work out, that's probably a major mistake. Someone at PT said that if you get a massage and it really hurts, your body is a mess. In other words, they should never be painful.

Keep in mind that I'm 30 years old, and 6'1/205. The main points I've learned are the following:

-Getting older means take longer time for your body to recover from tough work outs
    -Get somewhat regular massage/acupuncture to avoid such crippling muscle tightness.
    -Do weight lifting to make you healthier/look in shape. Don't worry about exact number of sets/reps/weight amount. It's just not worth it.
    -Go for absolute perfect form. The second you lose perfect form, stop. If you don't, your body will make up for it in other areas, and cause certain spots to be really messed up.
    Old 11-04-2015, 01:05 PM   #5654
    fridge112887
    William Perry

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by dmbman32 View Post
    Earlier this year, I started dealing with my shoulders/upper body muscles becoming incredibly tight 24/7, as well as tennis elbow in BOTH elbows. Yikes.

While I don't know the exact causes, I'm guessing it was a combo of computer desk work/overall activity/and not giving my body enough rest in between lift days. Also, I incorporated chin-ups/pull-ups/bicep curls all the time, which puts a ton of strain on your elbows and upper body. So, I'm guessing my body just said "you can't do this anymore."

After about 5 chiropractor appointments, PT, and 10 acupuncture treatments, I'm starting to feel a lot better. My elbows are still pretty tender, but at least I can twist them a lot more. However, I've had to give up pull-ups and underhand chin-ups since the summer. I've also had to do neutral grip curls to protect my elbows. The stretching/PT I got also help, because the stretches seem to hit the tight spots. But it's interesting to read on these boards that the stretching doesn't really heal the pain. It just helps prevent it down the road. In my case, the accupuncture is slowly but surely taking care of the healing. It's just crazy how many appointments I've needed to really put this thing to bed. It's also my fault that, before all these issues, I NEVER got massages or anything. Considering how often and hard I work out, that's probably a major mistake. Someone at PT said that if you get a massage and it really hurts, your body is a mess. In other words, they should never be painful.

Keep in mind that I'm 30 years old, and 6'1/205. The main points I've learned are the following:

-Getting older means take longer time for your body to recover from tough work outs
    -Get somewhat regular massage/acupuncture to avoid such crippling muscle tightness.
    -Do weight lifting to make you healthier/look in shape. Don't worry about exact number of sets/reps/weight amount. It's just not worth it.
    -Go for absolute perfect form. The second you lose perfect form, stop. If you don't, your body will make up for it in other areas, and cause certain spots to be really messed up.
    Quality post Agree on the final bulleted points at the end as well. I deal with "tennis elbow", or some sort of joint issue in my right arm. Three or four years ago I was decline benching and heard a pop - which very well could have been a tear. I had to lay off a lot of pulling/pushing work and stick to squats for a good while. I still cannot curl or do much hinging at the elbow with significant weight over my head without pain. I'll be 28 at the end of this month and I've jacked up my elbow, dealt with should issues, and have a bulging/tear in my lower lumbar vertebrae. I'm far too young to call it quits but I've really beat myself up over this hobby.

As far as chin-ups go, try retracting your shoulders (squeezing them together while you're hanging before you do your first chin-up) to take a lot of stress off the bicep and joint and emphasize your lower lats.
    Old 11-04-2015, 02:42 PM   #5655
    WidespreadMule3

My Tour Central Stats

I agree with the post. You gotta listen to your body. I'm 100% certain that the reason I can't lift at the moment is because I went too hard for too long. Some weeks I was lifting 6 of 7 days. That's just not good

I had the realization that I wasn't giving my muscles anytime to recover or grow by doing that and had started a 4 day/5 day month split and then I got hurt. I haven't touched a weight (upper body) since the first week of August. Been doing PT since mid-September and haven't noticed an incredibly difference. It's been slow but I can see the progress. I'm hoping with my next appointment in two weeks he'll give me the green light. Or at least another cortisone shot so I won't know the difference
    Old 11-04-2015, 02:59 PM   #5656
    dmbman32
    Turn your back, Charles

Shows Seen: 6

DMB Hub Stubs: 5

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by WidespreadMule3 View Post
    I agree with the post. You gotta listen to your body. I'm 100% certain that the reason I can't lift at the moment is because I went too hard for too long. Some weeks I was lifting 6 of 7 days. That's just not good
    Here's the other unfortunate truth you learn more and more as you get older: nutrition is king. Pure and simple. If you take someone who doesn't work out a lot but eats really well vs. someone who works out like a madman but has a shitty diet, the former will win out every time. Your diet is key. If you're eating really healthy overall, you're not going to be fat. Maybe not ripped or jacked either, but certainly not fat. However, many people who work out a lot are still overweight because their diet is bad. So, when your body starts to betray you and you can't do everything you used to in your early 20s, good nutrition becomes more and more important. The better you are at that, the less you have to kill your body at the gym.
    Old 11-04-2015, 03:30 PM   #5657
    jwehaeDMB
    Juice

Shows Seen: 76

DMB Hub Stubs: 23

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by fridge112887 View Post
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x1-UDBnRnS4

Jeff Seid and most of the YouTube "fitness" industry sucks. I can't stand these clowns and their man tights and high-top Nikes.
    u mirin'?
    Atlanta 2006, my wife and I enjoyed a great show. I drank moderately and had a bite to eat before leaving. Upon our arrival home we had intercourse in the missionary position for the sole purpose of procreation. A child was concieved and is now the light of our lives.
    jwehaeDMB is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 11-04-2015, 04:44 PM   #5658
    fridge112887
    William Perry

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by jwehaeDMB View Post
    u mirin'?
    His figure, yes. His knowledge of the human diet, no

Because eggs are carbohydrates and white potatoes = Hitler

Last edited by fridge112887; 11-04-2015 at 04:46 PM.
    fridge112887 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 11-04-2015, 07:07 PM   #5659
    artiej1120

Shows Seen: 40

DMB Hub Stubs: 17

My Tour Central Stats

Doing my first Spartan Sprint at Fenway Park on Sunday. Feeling pretty great physically going in to it but I'm looking for any tips people who have done them might have. Thanks guys!
    artiej1120 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 11-05-2015, 07:52 AM   #5660
    WidespreadMule3

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by dmbman32 View Post
    Here's the other unfortunate truth you learn more and more as you get older: nutrition is king. Pure and simple. If you take someone who doesn't work out a lot but eats really well vs. someone who works out like a madman but has a shitty diet, the former will win out every time. Your diet is key. If you're eating really healthy overall, you're not going to be fat. Maybe not ripped or jacked either, but certainly not fat. However, many people who work out a lot are still overweight because their diet is bad. So, when your body starts to betray you and you can't do everything you used to in your early 20s, good nutrition becomes more and more important. The better you are at that, the less you have to kill your body at the gym.
    Very good points too. I did the dirty bulking for a while and while I was getting bigger muscularly speaking, I was also just outright getting bigger. Since I got hurt I've started tracking my diet and it's a huge difference. I've hit my goal of losing 10 lbs and I'm aiming for 15 now just get back where I was in college.

I have no qualms with not being a ripped lean looker, because I enjoy a cheeseburger on the weekend. Sunday-Friday, I eat incredible. Vegetables, chicken, salads, etc. and I can tell a huge difference Sunday morning when I wake up with a cheeseburger hangover.
    Old 11-13-2015, 11:14 AM   #5661
    cry_minarets458
    MM#45 Wacco for Flacco

My Tour Central Stats

Weightlifting

Had my MRI today. Should confirm the physical exam that was consistent with torn meniscus. Just can't catch a break. Can't wait to modify my diet so I don't gain weight
    *renounces DMB fandom*
    Quote:
    Old 11-14-2015, 09:28 AM   #5662
    WidespreadMule3

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by cry_minarets458 View Post
    Had my MRI today. Should confirm the physical exam that was consistent with torn meniscus. Just can't catch a break. Can't wait to modify my diet so I don't gain weight
    Hate to hear that. Good luck healing man.

I did the diet change when I realized my shoulder was messed up. It made a huge difference.

Not sure what if you're tracking your meals yet or not, but the MyFitnessPal is a fantastic app that helps you keep track of everything. It really opened my eyes to how poorly I eat sometimes. Regardless, I've lost 12 lbs since I started using it.
    Old 11-17-2015, 12:55 PM   #5663
    WidespreadMule3

My Tour Central Stats

Had a followup appointment for my shoulder today. My doc walked in, said hi, reviewed my chart, then walked up grabbed my elbow and said lift your arm as high as you can so I did. He smiled and said much better. Said my progress was great and I told about the little pain I have left and he said that was typical and was normally the last to go. Gave me the go ahead to start lifting again. Have to go incredibly light - like straight pussy weight for a while. But good to know I can get back in there.
    Old 11-17-2015, 04:12 PM   #5664
    cry_minarets458
    MM#45 Wacco for Flacco

My Tour Central Stats

Weightlifting

Straight pussy weight feels good brah. I'd kill for that pussy feel right now. Very happy to hear you're doing better.

My f/u appt is tomorrow. My knee is clicking now when I flex at the knee whilst on my side, so naturally there's some adduction there relative to the hip. Not good.
    *renounces DMB fandom*
    Quote:
    Old 11-17-2015, 04:37 PM   #5665
    gonz085
    Tag Team Back Again

Shows Seen: 20

DMB Hub Stubs: 12

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by WidespreadMule3 View Post
    Had a followup appointment for my shoulder today. My doc walked in, said hi, reviewed my chart, then walked up grabbed my elbow and said lift your arm as high as you can so I did. He smiled and said much better. Said my progress was great and I told about the little pain I have left and he said that was typical and was normally the last to go. Gave me the go ahead to start lifting again. Have to go incredibly light - like straight pussy weight for a while. But good to know I can get back in there.
    High volume and supersets are always a nice change of pace, though.
    gonz085 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 11-18-2015, 07:03 AM   #5666
    cry_minarets458
    MM#45 Wacco for Flacco

My Tour Central Stats

Weightlifting

NO SURGERY!!! So relieved!!! Lots of PT ahead, though. But I will take it. Cannot afford surgery at all, in any capacity or relation. So happy and fortunate

But when I'm ready and healthy...no squats.
    *renounces DMB fandom*
    Quote:
    Old 11-18-2015, 07:11 AM   #5667
    WidespreadMule3

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Straight pussy weight feels good brah. I'd kill for that pussy feel right now. Very happy to hear you're doing better.

My f/u appt is tomorrow. My knee is clicking now when I flex at the knee whilst on my side, so naturally there's some adduction there relative to the hip. Not good.
    After three months of no lifting, you're right any weight is gonna feel good. I appreciate the good vibes.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by gonz085 View Post
    High volume and supersets are always a nice change of pace, though.
    Very good point. I hadn't thought about that. Been a long time since I've done that. Once I get in there and see that it won't bother my shoulder to lift, I'm jumping into that.

Quote:
    NO SURGERY!!! So relieved!!! Lots of PT ahead, though. But I will take it. Cannot afford surgery at all, in any capacity or relation. So happy and fortunate. But when I'm ready and healthy...no squats.
    That's great! Congrats!
    Old 12-07-2015, 12:55 PM   #5668
    WidespreadMule3

My Tour Central Stats

Lifted for the first time yesterday. Did biceps/triceps and it felt really good to have a little burn. Don't think I did more than 20 lbs but I'm surprisingly sore today. Shoulder is holding up great. Hoping the light at the end of the tunnel is real!
    Old 12-12-2015, 06:41 PM   #5669
    cry_minarets458
    MM#45 Wacco for Flacco

My Tour Central Stats

Good to hear about your shoulder holding up. How's it been the past few days?

PT is really rough for my knee. I can barely do a one legged dead lift with a 5# weight on my affected side. Diets been awful lately, too. I finally understand how you pack on so many extra pounds with a sedimentary lifestyle. RIP in peace, bod
    *renounces DMB fandom*
    Quote:
    Old 12-12-2015, 09:24 PM   #5670
    tyler3440

Shows Seen: 17

DMB Hub Stubs: 6

My Tour Central Stats

tried doing bench press with dumbbells. Its was odd compared to the regular way.