Harry Potter & The Deathly Hallows (11.19.10 / 7.15.11) - Page 95 - Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion

Go Back   Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion > General Discussion > nDMBc Discussion

Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here

Old 07-15-2011, 02:33 PM   #2821
Scoots71

Shows Seen: 14

DMB Hub Stubs: 5

My Tour Central Stats

Re: Harry Potter & The Deathly Hallows (11.19.10 / 7.15.11)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmbman32 View Post
I haven't read any of the books, but I've seen the first 4 movies.

Would I be lost seeing the new one?
Yes. If anything, you need to see 4 and on just to not be lost imo. 6 and 7.1 at a minimum before you watch this one.
2013: Zac Brown Band 2.22, ZBB/Kenny Chesney 8.3 2014: DMB 5.23
Scoots71 is offline   Reply With Quote

• Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here
  • Old 07-15-2011, 02:37 PM   #2822
    TrippingBilly95
    ... Up to something...

Shows Seen: 7

DMB Hub Stubs: 6

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by annie711pm View Post
    This is SO COOL dude!!!!!!!!
    Some people in my theater were dueling. Which was lame. But also cool. You know what I'm saying.
    Absolutely. Yes, we thought of dueling... but it just seemed pretty cliche. We figured we could do better than that Oh and I forgot to say at one point we were like, "Okay, everyone, we're going to give you a couple seconds to think for this one. Think of your favorite spell...... And when I say so, everyone yell theirs out all at once!..... Now!" And everyone blurted out a bunch of spells, 70% of which were Expecto Patronum. Then when everyone got settled an older-ish man blurted out, "The green one!!" And everyone just cracked up. It was great.
    Old 07-15-2011, 02:39 PM   #2823
    RJP2741

Shows Seen: 42

DMB Hub Stubs: 15

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by TrippingBilly95 View Post
    Absolutely. Yes, we thought of dueling... but it just seemed pretty cliche. We figured we could do better than that Oh and I forgot to say at one point we were like, "Okay, everyone, we're going to give you a couple seconds to think for this one. Think of your favorite spell...... And when I say so, everyone yell theirs out all at once!..... Now!" And everyone blurted out a bunch of spells, 70% of which were Expecto Patronum. Then when everyone got settled an older-ish man blurted out, "The green one!!" And everyone just cracked up. It was great.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by HoldemHart View Post
    Once again RJ brings the knowledge.
    RJP2741 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-15-2011, 02:47 PM   #2824
    annie711pm
    Cheesus Crust!

Shows Seen: 41

DMB Hub Stubs: 12

My Tour Central Stats

QUOTE Absolutely. Yes, we thought of dueling... but it just seemed pretty cliche. We figured we could do better than that Oh and I forgot to say at one point we were like, "Okay, everyone, we're going to give you a couple seconds to think for this one. Think of your favorite spell...... And when I say so, everyone yell theirs out all at once!..... Now!" And everyone blurted out a bunch of spells, 70% of which were Expecto Patronum. Then when everyone got settled an older-ish man blurted out, "The green one!!" And everyone just cracked up. It was great. QUOTE

HAHA omg, love it!!!

Also I have been informed that
    Click the "Show Spoiler" Button to reveal hidden text.
    annie711pm is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-15-2011, 02:56 PM   #2825
    junior94
    not a unique snowflake

Shows Seen: 2

DMB Hub Stubs: 4

My Tour Central Stats

I forget if I said this right after my screening, that the guy sitting next to me in full on (& great looking) Mad Eye costume/makeup, that the moment Yates' name came up to start the credits, he yelled out "Mischief managed!!" and it got a big laugh. of course then I had to explain to my new friend the guy sitting next to me that had only seen the first 3 movies back when they were new what the hell that actually meant

"Ohh, why do my actions have consequences?!?!" - Homer J. Simpson
    junior94 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-15-2011, 03:00 PM   #2826
    junior94
    not a unique snowflake

My Tour Central Stats

oh and speaking of Avada Kedavra, this movie got me thinking... obviously it's introduced as far as the kids in class I think book 6 the idea of being able to accomplish a spell without saying its name out loud. And we see this done all over the series, for one thing in the whole Dumbledore/Voldy OOTP duel, not a single spell name is spoken, and lots of other moments in the movies spells are cast (mostly probably by adults) without speaking.

Do we think that the three unforgivables must be spoken aloud? because hell even when Voldemort kills someone, he always yells the words out. Maybe, though, that's more about the psychological affect of hearing it beforehand, not unlike with the concept of cocking back the hammer of a gun -- I mean you certainly don't need to do that before you pull the trigger for a shot to properly go off, but it adds to the grittiness and fear, the sound of that being done, to what's about to happen. (in fact this very concept is even talked about in the Colin Farrell movie "Phone Booth")

Old 07-15-2011, 03:47 PM   #2827
    UCFish
    Mr. Hospitality (Glow)

Shows Seen: 179

DMB Hub Stubs: 35

My Tour Central Stats

Universal Orlando Resort surprised guests who attended the midnight film screening of “Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 2” at AMC Universal Cineplex 20 with something they could only have dreamed of – exclusive, complimentary access to The Wizarding World of Harry Potter. Immediately following the film, these select guests had The Wizarding World of Harry Potter all to themselves from 3 a.m. to 5 a.m.

Moviegoers were notified of this once-in-a-lifetime opportunity following the film. After celebrating in the theaters, more than 3,000 excited guests walked a red carpet to the place where the wonder, excitement and adventure of the Harry Potter films will live on. During their visit, guests experienced the wand choosing them at Ollivanders, tasted Butterbeer, toured Hogwarts castle and enjoyed many other experiences found only at The Wizarding World of Harry Potter.

Nice move Universal
    Old 07-15-2011, 04:06 PM   #2828
    davidw.

Shows Seen: 4

DMB Hub Stubs: 3

My Tour Central Stats

What a great night! The atmosphere was electric while waiting in the theater. So many people looked amazing in their costumes. I went as Hagrid. Definatley not the greatest costume ever but it was fun to be a part of it all. This was my first midnight show and it did not dissapoint, of course their are things in the movie I would have done differently but I was pleased overall. There were some emotional moments throughout the movie.

Its really starting to hit me that it really is over now, and I am regretting getting on the HP bandwagon so late.(Read all the books last December/January for the first time)
    davidw. is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-15-2011, 04:32 PM   #2829
    junior94
    not a unique snowflake

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by davidw. View Post
    Its really starting to hit me that it really is over now, and I am regretting getting on the HP bandwagon so late.(Read all the books last December/January for the first time)

Now see I love that I didn't actually start with the books themselves until right after the last one came out, I didn't have any of the agonizing waiting to do for the next one that all the fans did in the first go round, I went one right after the next! (it was bad enough having to do that year after year with each next new season of LOST to watch)

Old 07-15-2011, 07:02 PM   #2830
    thestand
    Best Ever

Shows Seen: 33

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by junior94 View Post
    oh and speaking of Avada Kedavra, this movie got me thinking... obviously it's introduced as far as the kids in class I think book 6 the idea of being able to accomplish a spell without saying its name out loud. And we see this done all over the series, for one thing in the whole Dumbledore/Voldy OOTP duel, not a single spell name is spoken, and lots of other moments in the movies spells are cast (mostly probably by adults) without speaking.

Do we think that the three unforgivables must be spoken aloud? because hell even when Voldemort kills someone, he always yells the words out. Maybe, though, that's more about the psychological affect of hearing it beforehand, not unlike with the concept of cocking back the hammer of a gun -- I mean you certainly don't need to do that before you pull the trigger for a shot to properly go off, but it adds to the grittiness and fear, the sound of that being done, to what's about to happen. (in fact this very concept is even talked about in the Colin Farrell movie "Phone Booth")
    I know there was a discussion in one of the books somewhere, that verbalizing spells is tied to strength. So strong wizards, Dumbledore and Voldemort being the strongest two living at the time, can basically do every spell without speaking. But I'm sure some of those spells, even other moderately powerful wizards would've had to speak. But I think you're right, that the unforgivable curses are the farthest to the side in the spell continuum, that they have to be verbalized.
    Will in time both outpace and outlive you, Hail Satan!
    thestand is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-15-2011, 07:07 PM   #2831
    junior94
    not a unique snowflake

My Tour Central Stats

So, you guys that have seen the film already, whether via midnight or any time today, how many of you think you'll be seeing it one more time before Monday? and, if you saw it in 3D, that you'll want to do so 2D? and vice versa?

Especially since I didn't even know going into my screening that it would be 3D, and that's the first such movie I've seen like that (at least since maybe as a little kid), I definitely want to see this in 2D on the big screen, but highly doubt it'll be that soon again.

Old 07-15-2011, 07:13 PM   #2832
    thestand
    Best Ever

My Tour Central Stats

Will be seeing it again on Tuesday night, and then probably again towards the end of its theatrical run.
    Old 07-15-2011, 07:18 PM   #2833
    thestand
    Best Ever

My Tour Central Stats

Also, a highly ironic/extremely frustrating thing that happened at my showing-

Brief prelude: my theater up here sold out of their 6 midnight showings early in the week, so I had to go down to Latham NY for a screening. The mall is a dead mall, more or less, maybe 70% vacant or so. Super ghetto place. So we go in the theater, and they were just filling all of the theaters as people came, so we were unlucky enough to get there right towards the end of the filling of one theater. We get in our seats, and that Regal First Look thing starts running, but with no sound. People start complaining, and they come in and tell us that there's a problem with the audio reel for that First Look, so they just mute it instead of having a buzzing noise. Fair enough. They tell us that the audio will definitely be on for the movie. Which is good, because a number of us, including myself, were basically equally excited for the Batman teaser.

So the First Look ends, the screen goes dark, and then: glorious sound. Fantastic. But wait... the screen's still black. They switched on the audio, switched off the projector lamp. The screen stayed dark for the first three previews, including Batman. As my Google+ updates attest, I was very close to punting infants.
    Old 07-15-2011, 07:28 PM   #2834
    trippingbillie4

Shows Seen: 30

DMB Hub Stubs: 14

My Tour Central Stats

I think this is the first HP movie where I have absolutely no complaints
    Old 07-15-2011, 07:38 PM   #2835
    TrippingBilly95
    ... Up to something...

My Tour Central Stats

I will see it at least 3-4 more times.
    Old 07-15-2011, 08:03 PM   #2836
    Barbossa
    Spontaneous Incognito

My Tour Central Stats

I sat next to Patrick Fischler in the Imax.
    Old 07-15-2011, 08:09 PM   #2837
    junior94
    not a unique snowflake

My Tour Central Stats

I'm about halfway thru right now DL'ing what's supposedly a pretty decent looking Cam, I'm very curious to see how such an early one looks (I've seen some very early cams look surprisingly great on some movies). Even still, I really want to see this once in 2D in the theater again.

Old 07-15-2011, 08:45 PM   #2838
    RJP2741

Shows Seen: 42

DMB Hub Stubs: 15

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    So, you guys that have seen the film already, whether via midnight or any time today, how many of you think you'll be seeing it one more time before Monday? and, if you saw it in 3D, that you'll want to do so 2D? and vice versa?

Especially since I didn't even know going into my screening that it would be 3D, and that's the first such movie I've seen like that (at least since maybe as a little kid), I definitely want to see this in 2D on the big screen, but highly doubt it'll be that soon again.
    Saw it in 3D last night at midnight, I plan on going again within the next week or two and hopefully seeing it in 3D/IMAX

Quote:
    Originally Posted by HoldemHart View Post
    Once again RJ brings the knowledge.
    RJP2741 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-15-2011, 09:03 PM   #2839
    annie711pm
    Cheesus Crust!

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:

I plan on going next week, either wed or thurs, and I'd like to do the 3D Imax, not necessarily for the 3D, but for the Imax. Regardless, I have to see it again.
    Also, at this point, I've decided it's my 3rd favorite film.
    Old 07-15-2011, 09:47 PM   #2840
    junior94
    not a unique snowflake

My Tour Central Stats

Btw, for as small of a section as it was, but I thought Helena Bonham Carter did a pretty good job of Bellatrix pretending to be Hermione pretending to be Bellatrix from some of those youtube vids I think it was, it showed that they actually shot some sort of rehearsed scenes with Emma fully acting out the part, and then HBC had that video to play back for herself on the set on the day as a reference to look like she really was Hermione pretending to be Bella

Last edited by junior94; 07-15-2011 at 09:49 PM.
    Old 07-16-2011, 01:05 AM   #2841
    iMAC386
    BOOMER!

Shows Seen: 1

My Tour Central Stats

Incredible! Don't think I've ever cried like that during a movie...(the scene where Harry looks at dying Snape, Snape seeing/holding a dead Lily, the scene in the forest where Harry sees his mom and starts grasping for her hand, the scene where Harry admits to Ron/Herm that he's a horcrux and walks out on his own, the scene where Hagrid carries a "dead" Harry back to the castle and Ginny tries to run to him)....seriously had a wet kleenex by the time the movie ended.

The Prince's Tale was beautiful. I had such low expectations for it and Yates/Kloves proved me wrong.

I hear all the nitpicks you guys have brought up, and I agree, but I had such a good overall feeling about the movie that I didn't leave bitter at all about stuff left out. I'm so happy with the conclusion.

Uh, Ginny was UGLY during the epilogue. What the hell was she wearing? We needed more Bill's wedding bare back dress Ginny.
    iMAC386 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-16-2011, 01:08 AM   #2842
    iMAC386
    BOOMER!

Shows Seen: 1

My Tour Central Stats

Random note: the one thing that just felt off in the movie was how they did Voldy dying. Did anyone else not like it all? Him basically disintegrating into frayed fabric/burning paper? That shot had nowhere near the impact I thought it was going to have...it looked cheap.
    iMAC386 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-16-2011, 09:34 AM   #2843
    nieds05
    Go Big Red!

Shows Seen: 35

DMB Hub Stubs: 17

My Tour Central Stats

The film beat out the first day record, pulled in 92.1 million yesterday. Previous record was Twilight New Moon at 72.7 million.
    Old 07-16-2011, 10:50 AM   #2844
    junior94
    not a unique snowflake

My Tour Central Stats

A small thing I don't think I mentioned before... while sure, Yates made plenty of... odd.. choices in this film, one choice he made that I wholeheartedly applaud was having Nagini's attack on Snape's body to kill him happen entirely off camera. That the most you get is the trio's POV from the other side of that dirty window, seeing him occasionally brush up against the back of it, and hearing the sounds of Nagini attacking. Brilliant move.

Old 07-16-2011, 10:52 AM   #2845
    junior94
    not a unique snowflake

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by iMAC386 View Post
    Random note: the one thing that just felt off in the movie was how they did Voldy dying. Did anyone else not like it all? Him basically disintegrating into frayed fabric/burning paper? That shot had nowhere near the impact I thought it was going to have...it looked cheap.
    Yea I brought this up before, how we heard this was a detail all the way back since that first test screening in Chicago were all the CGI wasn't even finished. That Bella's and V's bodies sort of "exploded" upon being killed. I didn't like that at all. It comes totally out of nowhere. My best guess is it's the filmmaker's way of having the good guys keep the moral high ground, that it's not so obviously they simply used the AV curse, which of course would come with the green light.
    (having said that, in my screening Monday night, the crowd broke out into huge applause when Bella bit the dust)

Old 07-16-2011, 11:03 AM   #2846
    junior94
    not a unique snowflake

My Tour Central Stats

also regular AICN surfers probably know about Quint's "behind the scenes pic of the day" column, been going for just about a year now. He's done two Potter pics in a row, the first one was from HBP and was showing something more technical, but I just love this second one.

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/50402

obviously from the first film, Dan and Rupert just walking and talking as kids

Old 07-16-2011, 11:12 AM   #2847
    annie711pm
    Cheesus Crust!

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    A small thing I don't think I mentioned before... while sure, Yates made plenty of... odd.. choices in this film, one choice he made that I wholeheartedly applaud was having Nagini's attack on Snape's body to kill him happen entirely off camera. That the most you get is the trio's POV from the other side of that dirty window, seeing him occasionally brush up against the back of it, and hearing the sounds of Nagini attacking. Brilliant move.
    Agree, 100%. It was sickening & disturbing, as it should have been.

PS: I sent you a PM, I'm having troubles.
    Old 07-16-2011, 11:20 AM   #2848
    TrippingBilly95
    ... Up to something...

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by iMAC386 View Post
    Uh, Ginny was UGLY during the epilogue. What the hell was she wearing? We needed more Bill's wedding bare back dress Ginny.
    Completely agree. Ginny is supposed to be an assertive, fiery babe. She's like the exact opposite in the films. If there is one thing I hate about the Harry Potter movie series, it is Ginny.
    Old 07-16-2011, 11:33 AM   #2849
    junior94
    not a unique snowflake

My Tour Central Stats

While I don't think Ginny looked ugly in the epilogue (and I know I'm in the vast minority who still regards her as the cutest of all the chicks in the Potter world) they did seem to go a little too heavy handed into the whole "suburban mom" look

but overall their appearances in older age in the epilogue was INFINITELY better than what was indicated in those set pics snagged from back in the original shoot, I mean that stuff practically looked laughable.

Last edited by junior94; 07-16-2011 at 11:34 AM.
    Old 07-16-2011, 12:04 PM   #2850
    annie711pm
    Cheesus Crust!

My Tour Central Stats

The only person I thought looked bad in the epilogue was Draco. I honestly thought they looked much better than I could have imagined. Ron & Hermione especially.

Tags
    katie is a gryffinwhore , katie is a whorecrux , merlin's beard! , p.s.: the bird bites , the boy who lived