Looking into possibly getting the veillette, tuning question - Antsmarching.org Forums

Go Back   Antsmarching.org Forums > General Discussion > Musician Discussion


Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-22-2016, 02:25 PM   #1
liljoey90
9 planets round the sun
 
liljoey90's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 2,140

Shows Seen: 114

Looking into possibly getting the veillette, tuning question

I'm thinking of possibly getting that awesome little veillette guitar Dave uses... I know he's got them in different tunnings which may limit what I can use it for. Can anybody give me any help on what tunnings it would be on that guitar for the songs he uses it on? (Shotgun, baby blue, squirm, idea of you, etc)
__________________
112 Shows, 46 Venues, 16 States, 5 Countries

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadrophenia92 View Post
Theme of this story, Dave freaking <3's Big Whiskey, probably more than his kids
liljoey90 is offline   Reply With Quote

  • Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here
  • Old 06-23-2016, 10:08 AM   #2
    kelchlsm
     
    kelchlsm's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Oct 2011
    Posts: 1,534

    Shows Seen: 16

    Re: Looking into possibly getting the veillette, tuning question

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by liljoey90 View Post
    I'm thinking of possibly getting that awesome little veillette guitar Dave uses... I know he's got them in different tunnings which may limit what I can use it for. Can anybody give me any help on what tunnings it would be on that guitar for the songs he uses it on? (Shotgun, baby blue, squirm, idea of you, etc)
    I believe the only ones that are different are Baby Blue and Whiter Shade of Pale, they are in C tuning- the rest are in D. I think, not completely positive.

    I always wanted to get one of these and been eyeing them down myself, still cant pull the trigger though on the price for a limited use. Although I'd prob use it a lot more than I'd think, they look so fun to play around with. Maybe someday.
    kelchlsm is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-23-2016, 10:13 PM   #3
    liljoey90
    9 planets round the sun
     
    liljoey90's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Jul 2010
    Location: Long Island, NY
    Posts: 2,140

    Shows Seen: 114

    Re: Looking into possibly getting the veillette, tuning question

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kelchlsm View Post
    I believe the only ones that are different are Baby Blue and Whiter Shade of Pale, they are in C tuning- the rest are in D. I think, not completely positive.

    I always wanted to get one of these and been eyeing them down myself, still cant pull the trigger though on the price for a limited use. Although I'd prob use it a lot more than I'd think, they look so fun to play around with. Maybe someday.
    Yeah they look really cool. I just hope I get use out if it. Really wanted it for shotgun, squirm and idea of you. If those are all in the same tuning, I'd be really happy. Although I do wanna play baby blue as well
    __________________
    112 Shows, 46 Venues, 16 States, 5 Countries

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quadrophenia92 View Post
    Theme of this story, Dave freaking <3's Big Whiskey, probably more than his kids
    liljoey90 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-24-2016, 12:29 AM   #4
    rantingthespian
     
    rantingthespian's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Mar 2003
    Posts: 4,986

    Shows Seen: 0
    Send a message via AIM to rantingthespian

    Re: Looking into possibly getting the veillette, tuning question

    Dave's standard tuning for the Veillette is equivalent to capoing a standard tuned guitar at the 10th fret. He uses this tuning for Idea Of You, Shotgun, Jackpot, Squirm, etc. You can play typical guitar chord shapes, and they sound just fine.

    Only rare occasions is it tuned to something different. With Baby Blue, it's tuned like his Raised-B strung guitars, which means it's similar to capoing a standard tuned guitar at the 7th fret.

    So if you can play guitar, you can play a Veillette. There is not much difference in playing technique, more just a different sound (like playing a 12-string or a Baritone).
    __________________
    Whaddaya know, Haddi-man?
    rantingthespian is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-24-2016, 08:38 AM   #5
    kelchlsm
     
    kelchlsm's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Oct 2011
    Posts: 1,534

    Shows Seen: 16

    Re: Looking into possibly getting the veillette, tuning question

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by liljoey90 View Post
    Yeah they look really cool. I just hope I get use out if it. Really wanted it for shotgun, squirm and idea of you. If those are all in the same tuning, I'd be really happy. Although I do wanna play baby blue as well
    They are all the same tuning. The guitar is naturally tuned for the high D- Which is what most of the songs he plays on it are in.

    To play Baby Blue/ Whiter Shade of Pale- you would just need to tune the guitar a whole step down.
    kelchlsm is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-24-2016, 06:50 PM   #6
    rantingthespian
     
    rantingthespian's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Mar 2003
    Posts: 4,986

    Shows Seen: 0
    Send a message via AIM to rantingthespian

    Re: Looking into possibly getting the veillette, tuning question

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kelchlsm View Post
    They are all the same tuning. The guitar is naturally tuned for the high D- Which is what most of the songs he plays on it are in.

    To play Baby Blue/ Whiter Shade of Pale- you would just need to tune the guitar a whole step down.
    A step & a half.
    __________________
    Whaddaya know, Haddi-man?
    rantingthespian is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 08-08-2016, 11:08 PM   #7
    onthatnote
     
    onthatnote's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Apr 2006
    Posts: 376

    Shows Seen: 68

    Re: Looking into possibly getting the veillette, tuning question

    I have an electric model of the Gryphon FS if anyone is interested. Asking only $1,000 as it has some road wear. I have lots of pics. Shoot me a message and I'll send them your way.

    ryanmclifford@gmail.com
    onthatnote is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 08-16-2016, 10:46 PM   #8
    Andy Meeks
     
    Join Date: Aug 2002
    Posts: 108

    Shows Seen: 21

    Re: Looking into possibly getting the veillette, tuning question

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rantingthespian View Post
    A step & a half.
    No. Just a step. Baby Blue is in E flat.
    Andy Meeks is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 08-16-2016, 10:49 PM   #9
    Andy Meeks
     
    Join Date: Aug 2002
    Posts: 108

    Shows Seen: 21

    Re: Looking into possibly getting the veillette, tuning question

    Anyway, my wife got me a Yamaha 3/4 size acoustic/electric a couple of years ago. It was $200-ish, I think. I use it as my "raised B" guitar, for stuff like Stay or Leave. If I want to play Baby Blue, I put the capo on the first fret, and for stuff like Squirm, Shotgun, and The Idea of You, I'd do capo 3. It sounds really great, and $200 is much easier to swing than the $3000 or however much the Veillette costs.

    Last edited by Andy Meeks; 08-16-2016 at 10:51 PM.
    Andy Meeks is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 03-08-2017, 11:21 AM   #10
    jmkratt
    Von Miller
     
    jmkratt's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Apr 2002
    Location: Colorado
    Posts: 7,424

    Shows Seen: 35

    Re: Looking into possibly getting the veillette, tuning question

    I finally pulled the trigger on a Veillette! I was going to get a Gryphon though found a deal on a Merlin so I pulled the trigger. Pretty cool little instrument, it's smaller than the Gryphon and tuned to e so it's an octave over the guitar. Pretty stoked!

    Here is what I got:
    http://paramountguitars.net/gtr/VeilletteMerlinMS.htm
    __________________
    John K
    jmkratt is offline   Reply With Quote
    Reply

    Bookmarks

    Thread Tools
    Display Modes

    Posting Rules
    You may not post new threads
    You may not post replies
    You may not post attachments
    You may not edit your posts

    BB code is On
    Smilies are On
    [IMG] code is Off
    HTML code is Off

    Forum Jump


    Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here

    All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:23 PM.


    Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
    Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.


       
    Site LinksAbout AntsAnts MobileTweet Tweet
    Home
    Ants+
    Tour Central
    Search bar
    RSS Feeds
    About Us
    Contact Us
    The Ants Blog
    Advertise on Ants
    Ants on your cell phone
    iAnts
    mobile news
    mobile setlists
    antslive!
    Ants' Twitter
    DMBLive Twitter
    Matt's Twitter
    Jake's Twitter
    Joe's Twitter