Who here has met Dave? - Page 3 - Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion

Go Back   Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion > General Discussion > DMBc Discussion
Register Rules Community Top Lists Torrents AM.org

Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here

Old 05-28-2016, 08:33 AM   #61
Eyeroll

Shows Seen: 42

DMB Hub Stubs: 15

My Tour Central Stats

Re: Who here has met Dave?

Met Dave in C'ville in 2000. First saw him at Trax - I think we were at an Agents of Good Roots show. He knew my friend and came over and kissed her on the cheek. He was quite under the influence/out of his mind, but very sweet. Had a few handlers with him but went through the line to get carded like everyone else. Zero rock star attitude.

A few days later I saw him coming out of a Barnes & Noble with coffee and the paper. Took a picture with me and was very gracious. He was clearly hungover. Practically everyone in C'ville has met Dave at one point or another. Have never heard one bad thing about him. Humble, grateful guy.

I met Tim at the airport after the WPB shows last summer. He was on my husband's flight out. He is tiny, was traveling with a young lady friend and had nothing with him but a backpack. Just a very shy, unassuming guy doing his thing. My initial thought was that I hope nothing happened to my husband's plane because Tim was on it. He said Tim sat in the cheap seats towards the back. Again, zero rock star attitude.
Eyeroll is offline   Reply With Quote

• Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here
  • Old 05-28-2016, 05:41 PM   #62
    bartender_man

Shows Seen: 35

DMB Hub Stubs: 18

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by #41Tom View Post
    Met him a couple of times in Europe 2009 tour... but my american friend has a better story - saw him busking in London in the early 2000s. Walked over and said, "you're dave matthews" and Dave smiled. my friend, not a big fan, walked away and dave continued to busk!! don't think anybody was stopping really

Dave busking in early 2000's? THat sounds like a lie to me
    Old 05-28-2016, 05:55 PM   #63
    rantingthespian

Shows Seen: 0

DMB Hub Stubs: 2

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by bartender_man View Post
    This was in Europe. He isn't that well known there today, let alone in the early 2000's.
    Old 05-28-2016, 06:51 PM   #64
    blaise34

Shows Seen: 38

DMB Hub Stubs: 12

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by bartender_man View Post
    I buy it . Seems like something he would do back then just for shits and giggles
    blaise34 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 05-29-2016, 03:36 PM   #65
    BJisBA41

Shows Seen: 37

My Tour Central Stats

I met Dave at the Hurricane relief show M&G in 2012. He came down with one security guard who came in first and told us the ground rules. Having worked at a venue, and assisting in a M&G every show, I know what people hate.

Sure enough, Dave comes in and everyone rushes him. I figure I'll get my few minutes with him so I just stay seated. He kinda pushes the crowd out of the way and comes right over to me first. He signs my poster and poses for a picture. We both realize the lady using my phone to take the picture is taking a video. So I also have a funny video of Dave telling this lady how to work the camera and that we probably looked like a bunch of idiots standing there. Dave was also talking in lengths that he had the same phone as me, but it was still in the box back home.

I also met Tim at a solo acoustic show at Mount Snow. I waited for him to come out after and he took a photo and signed the setlist for me.

Both were very friendly.
    BJisBA41 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 05-30-2016, 07:01 AM   #66
    garagebrothers

Shows Seen: 41

My Tour Central Stats

I've never met any members of DMB, but I did get to hang out with Tim and the other dudes in TR3. A friend of mine (RIP!) used to date Fluffy but apparently she had recently broken up with him. TR3 was playing a show in Raleigh after Tim finish up with DMB that nite. So I headed down there and told my friend that I was going and she told me find Fluffy and tell him that she wanted to speak with him. I found him, told him that she was on the phone (poor guy looked like he had just lost his puppy) and he chatted with her for a few. Then he told me that I could go up after the show and hang with the guys. I chatted with the guys for a bit and then just sat with Tim for a bit as he smoked a bowl with some kid. Mind you, Tim smoked it thru his nose which was weird as shit to me. Seeing as I haven't smoked in almost 20 years, I passed but it was still a cool time and story. Bummed that I still haven't been able to meet any of DMB though.
    garagebrothers is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 05-30-2016, 07:08 AM   #67
    TheLastPig

Shows Seen: 57

DMB Hub Stubs: 22

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by garagebrothers View Post
    I've never met any members of DMB, but I did get to hang out with Tim and the other dudes in TR3. A friend of mine (RIP!) used to date Fluffy but apparently she had recently broken up with him. TR3 was playing a show in Raleigh after Tim finish up with DMB that nite. So I headed down there and told my friend that I was going and she told me find Fluffy and tell him that she wanted to speak with him. I found him, told him that she was on the phone (poor guy looked like he had just lost his puppy) and he chatted with her for a few. Then he told me that I could go up after the show and hang with the guys. I chatted with the guys for a bit and then just sat with Tim for a bit as he smoked a bowl with some kid. Mind you, Tim smoked it thru his nose which was weird as shit to me. Seeing as I haven't smoked in almost 20 years, I passed but it was still a cool time and story. Bummed that I still haven't been able to meet any of DMB though.
    Wtf?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by aoeiifreak View Post
    You hit some nerves because some people rely on logic and facts.
    TheLastPig is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 05-30-2016, 07:11 AM   #68
    garagebrothers

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by TheLastPig View Post
    Wtf?
    Lol, don't ask me, it was one of the stranger things I've seen in my 40 years
    Old 05-30-2016, 11:25 AM   #69
    rantingthespian

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Lol, don't ask me, it was one of the stranger things I've seen in my 40 years
    Tim is a strange guy. He's also really nice, intelligent, generous, talented, and hilarious ... but strange. However, that just makes him more awesome!
    Old 05-30-2016, 11:32 AM   #70
    greenpick41
    No BS in the Studio

Shows Seen: 30

DMB Hub Stubs: 18

My Tour Central Stats

I "met" Dave in the sense that I shook his hand as he was going down a line of people after the Manchester D+T show in 2007. He was kissing most of the female fans on the cheek if they wanted (a European thing) so I asked for a kiss, but he said he wouldn't kiss someone with a beard :/ Oh well, I tried.
    Old 05-30-2016, 01:05 PM   #71
    garagebrothers

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by greenpick41 View Post
    I "met" Dave in the sense that I shook his hand as he was going down a line of people after the Manchester D+T show in 2007. He was kissing most of the female fans on the cheek if they wanted (a European thing) so I asked for a kiss, but he said he wouldn't kiss someone with a beard :/ Oh well, I tried.
    Lol, good try good sir, good try
    Old 05-30-2016, 01:08 PM   #72
    garagebrothers

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by rantingthespian View Post
    Tim is a strange guy. He's also really nice, intelligent, generous, talented, and hilarious ... but strange. However, that just makes him more awesome!
    All very true I've seen a lot of strange shit in my day, but that was up there
    Old 05-30-2016, 02:08 PM   #73
    rantingthespian

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    All very true I've seen a lot of strange shit in my day, but that was up there
    He used to have a little green alien guy he'd stick on his mic, and called him Dick Mount Joy.
    Old 05-31-2016, 05:43 AM   #74
    jwrice5

Shows Seen: 49

DMB Hub Stubs: 17

My Tour Central Stats

Haven't met any of them, but last summer before the Deer Creek shows I wandered around downtown Indy to see if I could run into them... no luck! Would love the chance to shake their hands and tell them how much their music has meant to me!
    jwrice5 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 05-31-2016, 06:24 AM   #75
    MikeyCarson40

Shows Seen: 47

DMB Hub Stubs: 19

My Tour Central Stats

I've met Dave and Stefan at the same time backstage at Darien Lake in 07'. Both down to earth and very funny. Dave kept hinting that they were high. I asked him to play #41 for me that night, and he did. I have also met Timmy a few times. Also very cool guy. Very gentle soul.
    MikeyCarson40 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 05-31-2016, 09:24 AM   #76
    jnovo22

Shows Seen: 19

DMB Hub Stubs: 14

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by rantingthespian View Post
    Tim was in that accident years ago, which is why he probably smokes like that.

I met Tim after a TR3 show. For those that haven't been, please go. He gets a lot of flak around here, but he's an amazing guitar player.

I can also see why Tim and Dave get along. They're cut from the same cloth.
    jnovo22 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 05-31-2016, 11:52 AM   #77
    Mr. Pineapple

Shows Seen: 16

DMB Hub Stubs: 9

My Tour Central Stats

Met Dave a few times. Met Rashawn. Hung out with Timmy and drank some wine while he was laying down a few solos for some Peter Prince record.
    I blew out my flip-flop. Passed a lil jagged rock./But it's a real beauty, a calcified cutie. How it got here, I haven't a clue. Tailgatin' away again in Pastramiville. Searchin' for my lost bottle of Tums. Some people think that there's the heartburn to blame. But I know. It's all Wegmans fault.
    Mr. Pineapple is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 05-31-2016, 11:59 AM   #78
    TheLastPig

Shows Seen: 57

DMB Hub Stubs: 22

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by jnovo22 View Post
    Tim was in that accident years ago, which is why he probably smokes like that.

I met Tim after a TR3 show. For those that haven't been, please go. He gets a lot of flak around here, but he's an amazing guitar player.

I can also see why Tim and Dave get along. They're cut from the same cloth.
    What accident?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by aoeiifreak View Post
    You hit some nerves because some people rely on logic and facts.
    TheLastPig is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 05-31-2016, 12:37 PM   #79
    ALWAYSDMBFAN

Shows Seen: 90

DMB Hub Stubs: 27

My Tour Central Stats

I been been so fortunate to meet Dave on a yearly basis at Farm Aid. He is such a nice guy, does not walk around with security at all backstage. I'm so fortunate to have had the chance to tell him how much his music has impacted me. It has been fun sharing how much I have been enjoying new songs (Shotgun, Idea of You, etc.), which he was always appreciative. I can't wait to do it again this Fall. I also relish in witnessing soundcheck...my own private D&T concert each fall!

Few pics
    https://www.instagram.com/p/7wFe_5J2cw/
    https://www.instagram.com/p/Ut_yAjJ2Ye/
    https://www.instagram.com/p/70UHDmp2SF/
    https://www.instagram.com/p/71V1Q4J2RX/
    https://www.instagram.com/p/71XflEJ2Ua/
    https://www.instagram.com/p/eii5bCJ2QC/
    https://www.instagram.com/p/70SEU9J2d3/
    https://www.instagram.com/p/s3Tl3lp2S4/
    ALWAYSDMBFAN is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 05-31-2016, 02:47 PM   #80
    rantingthespian

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by TheLastPig View Post
    What accident?
    In the early 80s, Tim got into a motorcycle accident. He had his vocal chords cut, and couldn't talk for a year. That is why his voice sounds like it does. People say he used to have an extremely good singing voice.

However, I doubt that's why Tim smoked like that. I've seen pictures of Tim smoking normaly. I am sure it was just Tim being Tim.
    Old 05-31-2016, 03:02 PM   #81
    pjdwyer
    twitter.com/pat_dwy3r

Shows Seen: 11

DMB Hub Stubs: 6

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Smack Monkey View Post
    I can't believe I get to post into this thread.

I had a buddy text me the other day telling me he knew what hotel DMB and crew were at this year. My quick thought, was awesome of course, but I thought I had heard/ read that Dave was flying back home a good bit after shows. With that, and previous show being a Tuesday I thought there was a likelihood he would fly back in today. None the less, I was going to check and maybe run into one of the band members.

I was out of town Wednesday night at a golf event, and knew i'd be back mid evening yesterday, so that was plenty good enough and my shot. My wife bought us a couple Rockbridge T's back a couple of weeks, so I thought I'd wear mind as it would completely make me stand out to anyone that mattered (same thought to wearing #freedodo tonight). A couple of days ago Brian Calhoun posted on facebook seeing if anyone was interested in demoing his stuff either in CLT, ATL, or STL- so I knew that was a big positive.

So I get home last night around 645, shower/ change, call an uber. The hotel is about 5 mins from my house. This all plays out very fast. I walk into the hotel, walk to left where I know the lobby bar is- see 2 big black dudes sitting there, so I'm thinking this is a good sign. I walk straight towards the bar, and Dave is sitting there with Brian Calhoun, and some other dude I don't know who is. I look right at him, him to me- and I just go straight to him. I just said I'm a huge fan, can I just want to say hi, thank you, and take a pic. Brian Calhoun see's my T, loves it/ says something, Dave points at it and says something about it too. Like you always hear, he was incredibly gracious, and said sure. I told him tomorrow night (tonight now) is my 61st, and he looked stunned and said wow- which I thought was a little odd considering I'm sure he's had people tell them they've been to 100/200+. But I basically leave after another thank you and hand shake and go to the bar just 20 feet away.

Pretty quickly Rashawn is basically next to me, and Dave is back and forth a little bit. They are heading out, I thought I heard (eavesdropping on Rashawn), and they is Dave and them, not Rashawn- to a movie. Brian comes back over to me asks if I play (no) and makes small talk for a few minutes. Very, very cool. I eventually tell Rashawn I'm a huge fan and he say's yeah I know, I saw you sneak a pic on your phone. I laughed and said they wasn't of you guys, that's Greg Norman sitting behind us- which I have no idea why he was there. Any other day that would have been a big deal, but it completely passed over me. I saw Jeff around the hotel as well, and past Tim on my way out- who looked baked by the way.

I'm not an autograph guy, and have no huge hankering to meet celebs, etc. but obviously I always wanted to meet Dave. It was important to me. My wife and I are very lucky and fortunate to be able to travel and see DMB basically any time we want, and have essentially committed to seeing D&T (my preferred method now, I know that's not very popular around here) anytime/ anywhere they play. But I had even contacted the Warehouse at some point to see if they had meet and greats for certain contribution levels to Bamarags or the charity of his choice- to which they said no.

But I had told a handful of friends that I was going to go do this if anyone wanted to join. No one did. So I send the pic out, and one of them said now I wish I came. My response was I was kind of happy it happened by myself- as it was so personal to me.

Anyway, pics are attached. Good luck to everyone else out there. I'm 37, been seeing shows since 12/95, and as I've said at this point, life has been very good to me- but this is really as good as it gets for me- one of my few wants in life.

That's a really cool story, man. Good for you.
    Old 05-31-2016, 03:26 PM   #82
    bmt322

Shows Seen: 28

DMB Hub Stubs: 14

My Tour Central Stats

I met him after the Dallas show last year. I want to say it was around 1-2am, so he was tired, and seemed real loose, probably had some drinks as he was able to tolerate a whole bunch of people around him. He has the best handshake. Firm but squishy. He was very friendly and squeezed everyone close to him for pictures.
    Old 05-31-2016, 05:18 PM   #83
    Smack Monkey

Shows Seen: 121

DMB Hub Stubs: 28

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by pjdwyer View Post
    That's a really cool story, man. Good for you.
    I forgot another pretty funny part of this. When Brian Calhoun comes back over to say good night, Rashawn is standing there and says to Brian: 'why's he got a shirt and I don't. I say it's really easy to find it on the interwebs, to which Rashawn says 'why do I have to buy it on the Internet when the guy is standing right there!?'

Definitely everyone laughing. I still have permagrin 5 days removed.
    Smack Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-02-2016, 12:30 AM   #84
    Oh, word?
    your spirit animal

Shows Seen: 75

DMB Hub Stubs: 27

My Tour Central Stats

Met Dave at Blenheim the night before C'ville this year.

I'd always wondered what I'd say if we ever met. When he caught my eye I said "hey, remind me to give you my home address before you go." I got a cockeyed look and then I said "I need you to send me a copy of one of your kids college diplomas...because I paid for it." He laughed pretty hard and I got a picture.

In the 24 hours before that meeting I had been accepted into grad school and in the 24 hours after I got to hear "Last Stop" again. I'd say a pretty successful weekend. If I never have the chance to meet him again, it's totally okay because I made dude laugh. Nothing can beat that.

Oh, word? is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-25-2016, 03:12 PM   #85
    sumcraw929

Shows Seen: 13

DMB Hub Stubs: 4

My Tour Central Stats

Random question and figured this thread was perfect for it rather than creating a new one. So my brother in law and I are trying to make my sisters 40th b-day extra special by meeting Dave at the Charleston, SC show, does anyone have any idea how we can make this happen? We've called friends that work in radio and even the north Charleston coliseum but no luck so far. Any help is greatly appreciated!
    sumcraw929 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-25-2016, 03:43 PM   #86
    UrsadonDMBAnts+ Site Supporter
    Mr. A-B

Shows Seen: 114

DMB Hub Stubs: 31

My Tour Central Stats

Met everyone but Carter, but still need a photo with Rashawn and Carter

Dave: 2
    Carter: 0
    Stefan: 1
    Boyd: 4
    Tim: 1
    Rashawn: 2
    Jeff: 4

My Instagram My Almanac
    UrsadonDMB is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-25-2016, 03:44 PM   #87
    dmbolp
    GO GATORS!!!

Shows Seen: 150

DMB Hub Stubs: 35

My Tour Central Stats

Stalk the nicest hotel in town...
    Old 07-25-2016, 03:46 PM   #88
    coldengrey12
    Listen to St. Vincent

Shows Seen: 70

DMB Hub Stubs: 24

My Tour Central Stats

From the current lineup, I haven't met Fonz, Tim or Jeff.
    coldengrey12 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-25-2016, 04:03 PM   #89
    sumcraw929

Shows Seen: 13

DMB Hub Stubs: 4

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by dmbolp View Post
    Stalk the nicest hotel in town...
    That's a little too creepy for my tastes haha. However, I was thinking since they've been off a few days, do you think they'll even be in town today or will the band fly in tomorrow for the show tomorrow?
    sumcraw929 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-25-2016, 06:54 PM   #90
    willndmb

Shows Seen: 105

DMB Hub Stubs: 24

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Oh, word? View Post
    Met Dave at Blenheim the night before C'ville this year.

I'd always wondered what I'd say if we ever met. When he caught my eye I said "hey, remind me to give you my home address before you go." I got a cockeyed look and then I said "I need you to send me a copy of one of your kids college diplomas...because I paid for it." He laughed pretty hard and I got a picture.

In the 24 hours before that meeting I had been accepted into grad school and in the 24 hours after I got to hear "Last Stop" again. I'd say a pretty successful weekend. If I never have the chance to meet him again, it's totally okay because I made dude laugh. Nothing can beat that.
    Lmfao
    That's awesome

Met Tim, Jeff, carter, bt, kinda Stefan and think I was standing next to Dave in millers for a second but was so drunk gave him the double take look shook my head and walked out

Last edited by willndmb; 07-25-2016 at 06:55 PM.
    willndmb is offline   Reply With Quote