DMB will win AOTY - Page 2 - Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion

Go Back   Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion > Archive > 'Big Whiskey and the GrooGrux King' Album Discussion
Register Rules Community Top Lists Torrents AM.org

Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here

Old 12-07-2009, 12:14 PM   #31
Gleas22

Shows Seen: 9

DMB Hub Stubs: 7

My Tour Central Stats

Re: DMB will win AOTY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resatka View Post
I don't think it will change their sound (well from their current one), but I do think this will obviously create a follow up album. They will definitely stick with Rob. I also expect them to create similar songs and go about a similar process. Sure, they might use different studios... but I don't think this will change too much. The band will become more popular again though.
That's what I was thinking too. I didn't mean it would cause them to change their sound drastically or anything, but even it makes them say "hey, let's get back in the studio and pump out a new album to capitalize on this", then that is some change from it.

• Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here
  • Old 12-07-2009, 12:37 PM   #32
    eggsrsweet

Shows Seen: 47

DMB Hub Stubs: 18

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bpd1057 View Post
    i need the minute and a half i spent reading that back...nice argument, beyonce has got this lets be real...it seems like the entire album has been released as radio singles...and done well
    your a slow reader...

btw, thanks for the support from everybody. i'm glad people agree with me. and again... i don't think radio singles have anything to do w/ album of the year. i'm pretty sure about that.
    Old 12-07-2009, 01:53 PM   #33
    RSSR
    Nancies.org, always.

Shows Seen: 11

DMB Hub Stubs: 8

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by DJGeneral View Post
    I don't think them winning really will change anything besides put them back into the mainstream spotlight for a bit. Which since more people will be like "oh yeah I remember them..." the band may put out a re-release/new single to work on their new found popularity.
    I think winning AOTY and ROTY would make DMB first ballot Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame inductees instead of potentially waiting a few years before being voted in. But besides something like that, not much else will change.
    Old 12-07-2009, 02:57 PM   #34
    Upstge

Shows Seen: 5

DMB Hub Stubs: 6

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Australian Baby View Post
    I just can't wait until DMB comes on stage to collect their hardware at the ceremony, and out comes Kanye West:

"Hey Dave, Leroi and BWATGGK are great and all... but Beyonce had like, one of the best albums of all time!"
    And Boyd cold-cocks him to a standing ovation.
    Old 12-08-2009, 06:22 AM   #35
    MistreatedLewis

Shows Seen: 17

DMB Hub Stubs: 12

My Tour Central Stats

They might. I have very mixed feelings about the nomination.

On the one hand, I think it's fantastic that they are getting recognized for their work by the music industry in a way they have never before. Even if this album doesn't come close to stacking up to the older ones, it's a little bit like Scorsese getting nominated / winning for The Departed. He deserved it based on his past work more than on the actual nominated work itself. DMB deserves to be known as one of the greatest bands of the last 30 years, and a grammy win for album of the year will go a long way to helping them reach that status in the eyes of the American culture, IMO.

On the other hand, very rarely does great music even get nominated for AOTY, let alone win, and it is still a little sad for me that, while BWGGK is a good album, DMB's sound and songs are so watered down as to become mainstream (boring?) enough to be recognized by the Grammys in this way. I also think it will encourage them to continue working with Rob Cavallo and to continue making a safer / more mainstream kind of music, which to me would be personally disappointing. He did a good job with DMB, and I think he will continue to, I just do not have faith that he will ever do a great job with them.

Anyway, just my .02
    Old 12-08-2009, 07:31 AM   #36
    Foreverford05
    Let's go O's!

Shows Seen: 36

DMB Hub Stubs: 15

My Tour Central Stats

See, now I thought it would be backwards. I figured that they would have a great chance to win RAOTY because green days sucked, and really other than 21 guns they havent put a song on any of the vh1's countdowns, there was no 'Road to Big 21st century breakdown' and really, everyone ive talked to that bought it was fairly disappointed. ACDC, thats a joke, and u2, They have just about the same chance as Dmb I think. but AOTY is possible too. Just a lil' more unlikely
    Old 12-08-2009, 08:35 AM   #37
    2stepnmonkey

Shows Seen: 110

DMB Hub Stubs: 28

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Upstge View Post
    And Boyd cold-cocks him to a standing ovation.

That would be the single greatest thing to happen at the Grammy's...seeing that douchbag unconscious on the stage hahaha
    Old 12-08-2009, 09:02 AM   #38
    HolyCow
    Cubs Win!

Shows Seen: 11

DMB Hub Stubs: 4

My Tour Central Stats

I think the nominations are more of a tribute to DMB and their album dedicated to a fallen member.

I see DMB winning Rock Album, but not AOTY.
    Old 12-08-2009, 10:50 AM   #39
    jmacomber16

Shows Seen: 2

DMB Hub Stubs: 2

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by HolyCow View Post
    I think the nominations are more of a tribute to DMB and their album dedicated to a fallen member.

I see DMB winning Rock Album, but not AOTY.
    I totally agree. They deserve an award for their accomplishments as a band, but nominating BW is the same as nominating Phish's Joy.
    Old 12-08-2009, 11:15 AM   #40
    BrewCrew15

Shows Seen: 52

DMB Hub Stubs: 21

My Tour Central Stats

The real question is, will the show up?

Dave and Steffan were pissed about Roi being snubbed last year.
    Old 12-08-2009, 11:28 AM   #41
    bmt322

Shows Seen: 28

DMB Hub Stubs: 14

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by BrewCrew15 View Post
    The real question is, will the show up?

Dave and Steffan were pissed about Roi being snubbed last year.
    For DMB fans' sake, I hope they don't show up, but for everyone else, other people are not aware that LeRoi was skipped last year or that he even passed away, so I want them to show up for others to see.
    Old 12-08-2009, 12:11 PM   #42
    DJGeneral
    The GENERAL

Shows Seen: 3

My Tour Central Stats

Of they will show up. You guys are crazy to think they won't.

And for the love of God, STOP SAYING THEY WON'T WIN AOTY. Sure, they might not, but don't act like it is a done deal because previous years indicate that DMB WILL win. My God.
    Old 12-08-2009, 12:48 PM   #43
    fromchicago252

Shows Seen: 13

My Tour Central Stats

Look at last year's winner...Robert Plant and Allison Krause (SP??)...they are in no way the most played on the radio especially compared to Lil' Wayne and Coldplay...andbut still won due to the overall quality of the music they produced. The year before that, Herbie Handcock won?!?!?! I think DMB has a decent chance especially against the competition they have. I am not saying they are a lock but it would be awesome if they did win...I don't think Kings of Leon have a chance at winning...and Beyonce would be in my bottom 2 along with Black Eyed Peas...I would say its between Lady Gaga and DMB...
    Old 12-08-2009, 12:56 PM   #44
    fromchicago252

Shows Seen: 13

My Tour Central Stats

also for RAOTY I am betting Winwood and Clapton win that one...the acadamy loves live albums...an unplugged album has won AOTHY at least twice from what I saw...so my best is Winwood and Clapton will take RAOTY
    Old 12-08-2009, 01:12 PM   #45
    trippinbillie25

My Tour Central Stats

it would be pretty awesome if dave just took the mic and just went on about roi so he gets recognized.

and boyd knocking out kanye
    Old 12-08-2009, 03:47 PM   #46
    ericvol

Shows Seen: 45

DMB Hub Stubs: 19

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by MistreatedLewis View Post
    They might. I have very mixed feelings about the nomination.

On the one hand, I think it's fantastic that they are getting recognized for their work by the music industry in a way they have never before. Even if this album doesn't come close to stacking up to the older ones, it's a little bit like Scorsese getting nominated / winning for The Departed. He deserved it based on his past work more than on the actual nominated work itself. DMB deserves to be known as one of the greatest bands of the last 30 years, and a grammy win for album of the year will go a long way to helping them reach that status in the eyes of the American culture, IMO.

On the other hand, very rarely does great music even get nominated for AOTY, let alone win, and it is still a little sad for me that, while BWGGK is a good album, DMB's sound and songs are so watered down as to become mainstream (boring?) enough to be recognized by the Grammys in this way. I also think it will encourage them to continue working with Rob Cavallo and to continue making a safer / more mainstream kind of music, which to me would be personally disappointing. He did a good job with DMB, and I think he will continue to, I just do not have faith that he will ever do a great job with them.

Anyway, just my .02
    I agree. I think that in the historical standpoint this is a very important award for DMB. People will look back and say "they are a band that made an impact on music...I mean they won an Album of the Year."

But at the same time I hope it doesn't make them even more complacent. I think they could go two ways, they could see this as a way to expand on their brand name, charge more for concerts, put more solid not great albums out ect. Or they could use this as motivation to really tap into their musical creativity and follow up this award winning album with a musical masterpiece that people will pick up and hopefully respect because they are a past AOTY winner.
    Old 12-08-2009, 10:32 PM   #47
    Dankguitar

Shows Seen: 28

DMB Hub Stubs: 15

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ericvol View Post
    I agree. I think that in the historical standpoint this is a very important award for DMB. People will look back and say "they are a band that made an impact on music...I mean they won an Album of the Year."

But at the same time I hope it doesn't make them even more complacent. I think they could go two ways, they could see this as a way to expand on their brand name, charge more for concerts, put more solid not great albums out ect. Or they could use this as motivation to really tap into their musical creativity and follow up this award winning album with a musical masterpiece that people will pick up and hopefully respect because they are a past AOTY winner.
    You guys are crazy to think a Grammy is going to change the motivation and passion of one of the most down to earth bands. They are going to make the same music whether they win or not
    Old 12-09-2009, 05:42 AM   #48
    fonzz41
    The Gabe Abides

Shows Seen: 9

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by spoot388 View Post
    you think that jackass is going to get on stage and steal the spotlight when Boyd and Rashawn are standing 10 feet away?? he probably doesn't even know they're part of the band. he'd just think they're dave's bodyguards, but either way, he would be too scared to step foot on the stage while they're up there.
    Nice. If he does get up there, he better pray RR isn't hungry...
    Anyone that disagrees with Matty is wrong and should go fuck themselves.
    Old 12-09-2009, 05:54 AM   #49
    Brad(ford)

Shows Seen: 37

DMB Hub Stubs: 10

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by fromchicago252 View Post
    Look at last year's winner...Robert Plant and Allison Krause (SP??)...they are in no way the most played on the radio especially compared to Lil' Wayne and Coldplay...andbut still won due to the overall quality of the music they produced. The year before that, Herbie Handcock won?!?!?! I think DMB has a decent chance especially against the competition they have. I am not saying they are a lock but it would be awesome if they did win...I don't think Kings of Leon have a chance at winning...and Beyonce would be in my bottom 2 along with Black Eyed Peas...I would say its between Lady Gaga and DMB...
    This is a pretty safe bet considering that their album isn't nominated...
    Old 01-22-2010, 06:16 AM   #50
    kristinmb

Shows Seen: 60

DMB Hub Stubs: 23

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Of they will show up. You guys are crazy to think they won't.

And for the love of God, STOP SAYING THEY WON'T WIN AOTY. Sure, they might not, but don't act like it is a done deal because previous years indicate that DMB WILL win. My God.

I hope you're right. It would give my 15-year addiction a little more credibility with family and friends.
    Old 01-22-2010, 06:54 AM   #51
    Evans

Shows Seen: 10

DMB Hub Stubs: 9

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by rutherm124 View Post
    unfortunately musical quality doesn't get recognition anymore......if it did bands like bela fleck and robert randolph would be much more recognized. Unfortunately people dont appreciate the skill it takes to create the sounds these people do and be able to replicate it live. But as I read somewhere else....I don't need to see them win a grammy to realize this, although it would make me completely ecstatic.....especially for roi's sake.
    Actually the Flecktones are very well recognized by the Grammy Awards. Bela holds a Grammy record, he's been nominated in more categories than any other artist (and he's up for another Grammy this year for his African album "Throw Down Your Heart").

The last two albums the Flecktones have released have both won Grammy Awards (The Hidden Land and Jingle All The Way). Bela alone has 25 Grammy Nominations in his lifetime and 9 of those were wins. It's just that the Flecktones are never shown on the big show, they win during the "previously held ceremonies". That'll change for Jeff this year.
    I'd like to take a chance to thank you all very much for joining us this evening and I hope that you have a nice night followin' this one, don't forget to love each other, don't forget to do your best, don't forget to vote, don't forget to dafahdedofehdahdeedoedeeday!
    Old 01-22-2010, 01:13 PM   #52
    dahpissah
    She is sooo hot!

Shows Seen: 38

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by bluesbrother41 View Post
    i see aoty as more likely to happen than rock album because of the competition in rock album. gonna be hard to beat out green day and u2 for a grammy.
    Green Day and U2's new albums are fucking aweful! I don't see how DMB could lose.
    Old 01-22-2010, 01:16 PM   #53
    VivaMonkeyMan
    34#Captain SugarWill#41

Shows Seen: 0

DMB Hub Stubs: 1

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by dahpissah View Post
    Green Day and U2's new albums are fucking aweful! I don't see how DMB could lose.
    Yeah, but the Grammies are infamous for dissing DMB, and even Roi. This will either be a nod of good faith, or another smack in the face. Well, this time it would be more like a back-hand.
    Old 01-22-2010, 01:25 PM   #54
    dahpissah
    She is sooo hot!

Shows Seen: 38

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by VivaMonkeyMan View Post
    Yeah, but the Grammies are infamous for dissing DMB, and even Roi. This will either be a nod of good faith, or another smack in the face. Well, this time it would be more like a back-hand.
    Yeah its not as if I expect a good band to actually win because they usually never do, but it would be nice for once.
    Old 01-22-2010, 01:43 PM   #55
    DJGeneral
    The GENERAL

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    LOL they are not infamous for dissing DMB.
    Old 01-22-2010, 01:49 PM   #56
    VivaMonkeyMan
    34#Captain SugarWill#41

Shows Seen: 0

DMB Hub Stubs: 1

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    LOL they are not infamous for dissing DMB.
    3 Lillywhite-produced DMB albums with no AOTY award is a diss, imo. Or just plain ignorance.
    Old 01-22-2010, 03:13 PM   #57
    MistreatedLewis

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    3 Lillywhite-produced DMB albums with no AOTY award is a diss, imo. Or just plain ignorance.
    Wait wait wait - are you saying Tony Bennett: Unplugged didn't deserve to win over UTTAD
    Old 01-22-2010, 03:34 PM   #58
    DJGeneral
    The GENERAL

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    You do realize that only 5 albums can be nominated each year when there are clearly more than 5 worthy albums. It has nothing to do with DMB personally.
    Old 01-22-2010, 03:38 PM   #59
    MistreatedLewis

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    You do realize that only 5 albums can be nominated each year when there are clearly more than 5 worthy albums. It has nothing to do with DMB personally.
    Most of the stuff that got nominated / won over DMB in the 90s ranges from decent to awful. They dropped the ball there big time.
    Old 01-22-2010, 03:42 PM   #60
    kydmb99
    Jorts

Shows Seen: 10

DMB Hub Stubs: 8

My Tour Central Stats

I personally couldn't care less. If DMB had made an album that went back to their roots and had that unique, original sound, it probably wouldn't have been nominated.. Typically, it's decent mainstream stuff that gets these awards... I don't dislike BW but it pretty much fits the bill IMO..