Old 05-16-2013, 06:43 PM   #31
whygohome?
BIG CAT WILLIE CAULEY

Location: Cawood Ledford Court at Rupp Arena in Lexington, KY

Shows Seen: 13

DMB Hub Stubs: 4

My Tour Central Stats

Re: Back pain!!

^ damn man. That hurt me to read. I'm sorry you've been through that much so young. My dad suffers from planter fasciitis as well so I know how bad that can be.

If there is a god, he sure is a shitty architect/engineer. Our bodies are designed in such a way that they can fail in several facets leading to a lifetime of pain and misery when you've done nothing wrong. Chronic pain is just so miserable...imagine how it was until pretty recently for people with no medical treatment besides opium.
whygohome? is offline   Reply With Quote

• Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here
  • Old 05-16-2013, 06:47 PM   #32
    holdyouclose
    ==============

Shows Seen: 56

DMB Hub Stubs: 22

My Tour Central Stats

I've had horrible back pain for about 3 years, having sciatica and 4 herniated discs....having a strong core like someone said earlier is so huge....and I just started acupuncture about a month ago, I was very against it for the longest time, thought it was "quack medicine", but I kid you not, I've felt the best I have since the pain started. It obviously didn't cure me, nothing will, but the bad days are very far between, and the good days are now great days pain wise....

Last edited by holdyouclose; 05-16-2013 at 06:50 PM.
    holdyouclose is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 05-16-2013, 06:58 PM   #33
    salrx95

Shows Seen: 60

DMB Hub Stubs: 19

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by whygohome? View Post
    ^ damn man. That hurt me to read. I'm sorry you've been through that much so young. My dad suffers from planter fasciitis as well so I know how bad that can be.

If there is a god, he sure is a shitty architect/engineer. Our bodies are designed in such a way that they can fail in several facets leading to a lifetime of pain and misery when you've done nothing wrong. Chronic pain is just so miserable...imagine how it was until pretty recently for people with no medical treatment besides opium.
    yeah, thanks. On my days off, I'm not in too much pain once I'm up and around for a few hours. It is what it is. I need to work thru it and just deal like I've been doing to support my wife and kids. Kids are only 5 and 8 so they are gonna need me for a long time. I haven't even taken them to their first DMB concert yet. The feet problems surely don't help the back problems, too.

Plantar fasciitis is no joke. Antonio Gates of the Chargers suffered thru it for a couple of seasons and he said it was "like sticking a hot poker thru your foot". He's not far off. Imagine standing on it for a 9 to 12 hour shift. Luckily, the surgery on the right worked well (occasional soreness and numbness) so I already told the Dr I'm not trying this that and everything on the left. Have had a cortisone shot in Feb and now April so I think when kids go back to school in late August, I'm just gonna have the surgery and be done with it. Had a lot more numbness in right lately due to putting too much pressure on it to ease the left. I don't need any new issues with right.
    salrx95 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 05-16-2013, 10:20 PM   #34
    bartender_man

Shows Seen: 35

DMB Hub Stubs: 18

My Tour Central Stats

I've had chronic back and neck pain for years. It got so serious I had to drop out of school because of it. The key to reducing pain is exercise and diet. Just moderate exercise- where you don't aggravate it, but enough to strengthen the muscles. Diet is really important as if you eat junk it's going to make the pain worse. I focus on lots of vegetables and salads and amazingly enough it does reduce the pain to a degree.
    Old 05-17-2013, 03:48 AM   #35
    SmoothD41
    Hoosiers

Shows Seen: 63

DMB Hub Stubs: 25

My Tour Central Stats

I have (had?) a herniated L5/S1 disc (lowest one). From July 2011 to February 2012 was the most miserable time of my entire life, by far. The disc was pinching my sciatic nerve, sending a constant shooting pain down my right leg. I didn't think I would ever be able to walk normally again. I had two epidural steroid injections, one of which did absolutely nothing, the second of which may have worked or they say the disc just heals itself after a while. Or maybe it just moved away from the nerve. Whatever the case, I have been pain free for over a year now. If the pain ever comes back, I will be getting surgery right away. I was right on the verge of surgery before I got relief.

I wouldn't wish that pain on my worst enemy.

SmoothD41 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 05-17-2013, 05:09 AM   #36
    drop2d

Shows Seen: 32

DMB Hub Stubs: 17

My Tour Central Stats

Back pain sucks! My wife was in terrible pain a few years ago. She had a slipped disc in her lower back. She had a cortisone shot that only made it worse. Nothing helped until she opted for surgery (It took her a LOOOONG time to get to that point though). Since then, all has been well for the most part... but it''s what you do post-surgery that counts. She started exercising regularly to drop a few pounds and strengthen her core. If she goes just a couple days without some form of exercise, she'll start tightening up and feeling pain again.

Good luck op (and the rest of you with these issues)!
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by drakan View Post
    Cuomo for president.
    drop2d is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 05-17-2013, 06:21 AM   #37
    mr. testaverde
    King of Prussia

Shows Seen: 58

DMB Hub Stubs: 25

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by SmoothD41 View Post
    I have (had?) a herniated L5/S1 disc (lowest one). From July 2011 to February 2012 was the most miserable time of my entire life, by far. The disc was pinching my sciatic nerve, sending a constant shooting pain down my right leg. I didn't think I would ever be able to walk normally again. I had two epidural steroid injections, one of which did absolutely nothing, the second of which may have worked or they say the disc just heals itself after a while. Or maybe it just moved away from the nerve. Whatever the case, I have been pain free for over a year now. If the pain ever comes back, I will be getting surgery right away. I was right on the verge of surgery before I got relief.

I wouldn't wish that pain on my worst enemy.
    totally agree with you on this one having suffered the same problem. as i mentioned in a prior post, it hurt to stand for long periods of time. i never verbally complained about it too much, because what good would that do, but man there were times where it was just BRUTAL
    Old 05-17-2013, 11:21 AM   #38
    hunter4268
    Dazed and Confused

Shows Seen: 12

DMB Hub Stubs: 7

My Tour Central Stats

Ice your back, heat is not your friend.
    Originally Posted by HelloAgain134
    son of a bitch...knew I'd screw it up somehow...
    hunter4268 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 05-17-2013, 11:28 AM   #39
    Useliteski
    shit blizzard

Shows Seen: 20

DMB Hub Stubs: 9

My Tour Central Stats

thought more people would have found the amazing pain killing quality of cannabis. i use it for my chronic knee pain from years of wear and tear due to cross country and ski racing. knock it all you want and call me a lazy pot head, but i'm pain free, comfortable to enough to exercise, and able to focus on the things i love to do without ruining my body with prescription pain killers. Also, a healthy diet is key, but that goes without saying.
    Useliteski is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 05-17-2013, 11:57 AM   #40
    DIDriveOut2SPAC
    American Aquarium Drnkr

DMB Hub Stubs: 14

My Tour Central Stats

Used to have sever back pain, made DMB shows and the like almost unbearable.

Lost 85 pounds and it just went away. Rules.
    Old 05-17-2013, 02:20 PM   #41
    SqueeBaBooSquee
    Cham Peens

Shows Seen: 0

DMB Hub Stubs: 1

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by AJF_41 View Post
    i'd say i have close to chronic neck pain.

i just take lots of advil.
    I have the exact same thing.

Some days it's a dull barely noticeable pain but most days it's just a constant ache that I've just learned to live with. Some days it's almost debilitating.

The pain starts in the base of my neck, that ball where you neck connects to your shoulders. Then it shoots up the left side of my neck into the back of my head just beneath my skull. I'm constantly cracking my neck, stretching and laying on the ground with a pillow under my neck to try and relieve some pain.

I've just recently started popping a few Tylenol every 4 hours, seems to help a bit.

I need to go to the practor.
    SqueeBaBooSquee is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 05-17-2013, 02:41 PM   #42
    skwormin
    CUBS WS CHAMPS

Shows Seen: 19

My Tour Central Stats

y'all need to go get some edibles, stat!
    skwormin is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 05-17-2013, 02:44 PM   #43
    aicdmb
    Unreal

Shows Seen: 15

DMB Hub Stubs: 6

My Tour Central Stats

Never did edibles...how the hell do you know how much to eat, or how much your getting??
    aicdmb is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 05-17-2013, 03:00 PM   #44
    haybale97
    king of men

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jake View Post
    1. lose weight.

2. exercise (walk is much better)

3. take the time to lay on your stomach a few times a week to stretch your lower back

4. don't ever try to run thru the pain (trust me)
    #3 is pretty bad advice. You can REALLY hurt yourself doing this, depending on what you're underlying LB issue is.
    #4 is spot on
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ji/\/\ithing View Post
    bulged a disc last fall, ended up in physical therapy for it. they gave me stretches and core-strengthening exercises, they've both helped a lot.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by hunter4268 View Post
    Ice your back, heat is not your friend.
    Again, not great advice. Some people do better with heat rather than ice, or vice versa. Try both, see what feels better. Neither will hurt you unless you leave them on too long and get frost bite/burn yourself.

Out With Gout
    haybale97 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 05-30-2013, 11:10 PM   #45
    1yankeesfan

Shows Seen: 2

My Tour Central Stats

Well woke up today and couldn't move or feel my left leg. Went to the ER and they found out the bulging disc is hitting a cluster of nerves and if it doesn't get better I could lose the feeling and strength in my leg. They wanted to do surgery this morning but I chose option B. I got an shot of steroids/lidacain(sp) in my back. They are hoping that will keep the swelling down and I can avoid surgery. I just hope it will help because over the last couple of weeks it has gotten progressively worse. Starting to be consumed by the pain. Feeling very depressed and suicidal at times. Tired of the dependence on the pain pills, which don't even help that much. Just wish I could find something that would help give me temporary relief at least.

Really?
    1yankeesfan is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 05-31-2013, 04:16 AM   #46
    Tiduwho
    heh heh heh

Shows Seen: 0

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by 1yankeesfan View Post
    Well woke up today and couldn't move or feel my left leg. Went to the ER and they found out the bulging disc is hitting a cluster of nerves and if it doesn't get better I could lose the feeling and strength in my leg. They wanted to do surgery this morning but I chose option B. I got an shot of steroids/lidacain(sp) in my back. They are hoping that will keep the swelling down and I can avoid surgery. I just hope it will help because over the last couple of weeks it has gotten progressively worse. Starting to be consumed by the pain. Feeling very depressed and suicidal at times. Tired of the dependence on the pain pills, which don't even help that much. Just wish I could find something that would help give me temporary relief at least.
    I'm really sorry man, that sounds awful. Hang in there.

I feel bad for even thinking about complaining about my back pain after reading that.

"And later I talk to former Presidential candidate Gary Hart and tell him how more Democrats should follow his example -- and leave politics."

- Stephen Colbert
    Tiduwho is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-05-2013, 04:55 PM   #47
    1yankeesfan

My Tour Central Stats

Today it's really hurting. Feel really stiff and having a lot of numbness in my leg. Who knows what's about to go down :-( My be headed back to the hospital within the next week if this shit doesn't change or start to show signs of improvement. :-( Last thing I want is to go under the knife but I don't know what else to do at this point. The pain is getting to be unbearable.

Really?
    Old 06-05-2013, 07:09 PM   #48
    GSUdawg521
    hbtd

Shows Seen: 28

DMB Hub Stubs: 11

My Tour Central Stats

My lower back just started hurting out of nowhere. Don't know why other than maybe I tweaked it in disc golf Saturday or was on my feet all that day. But I didn't feel the pain til Monday. Couple that with the fact that I'm about to start the process of moving the end of this week
    GSUdawg521 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-05-2013, 07:51 PM   #49
    holdyouclose
    ==============

Shows Seen: 56

DMB Hub Stubs: 22

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by GSUdawg521 View Post
    My lower back just started hurting out of nowhere. Don't know why other than maybe I tweaked it in disc golf Saturday or was on my feet all that day. But I didn't feel the pain til Monday. Couple that with the fact that I'm about to start the process of moving the end of this week
    Nothing better than moving to help heal up the ole back....almost better than doing dead lifts at the gym....

Last edited by holdyouclose; 06-05-2013 at 07:52 PM.
    holdyouclose is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-05-2013, 08:05 PM   #50
    DrewD55

Shows Seen: 27

DMB Hub Stubs: 10

My Tour Central Stats

I'm not a doctor, but I've defended enough bodily injury/workers' comp cases to have read enough medical records and deposed enough doctors to put this out there: a big component of it is psychological. Here's the thing: you bulge a disc, or especially if you herniate one, that condition can't be repaired. Surgery can alleviate the problem by taking the pressure of the spinal column off of the cord, but there's always a lingering pain. I've seen plenty of cases where folks have had everything done to them that could be done and didn't respond but where their caretakers suspected them of malingering, because there's really no way that treatment (unless your doctor's a quack) should ever make your condition worse. The attitude that you approach it has a lot to do with how your body will react.

That being said, because a bulge or a herniation is irreversible, the best means of treatment is to do what you can to counteract your body's response to the condition. If you have a bulging disc, it doesn't hep to have weak muscles supporting your midsection because it will only put more pressure on the part of your body that's actually hurting itself. When physical therapists prescribe stretching and the like after a back or neck injury, it's not really treating the injury itself; it's improving the injury's surroundings, so to speak, to improve the body's ability to counteract the pain. Drugs is an iffy proposition, and if you can, stick to over-the-counter non-steroidal-anti-inflammatories, like Aleve or prescription Naproxen or Flexeril. You start getting into opioid derivatives like Oxy or the like, and you're just asking for trouble.

Surgery, I don't see as a miracle cure-all and should always be considered as a last resort. Just as a tip from me for minor back pain, the Icy Hot shit that Shaq pitches? Works pretty damn well. Yes, it's stuck in the dark ages and still smells like Ben-Gay, when even Ben-Gay doesn't actually smell like that anymore, but it does the job, as far as a topical painkiller.
    Old 06-05-2013, 08:34 PM   #51
    ExistenceNow
    AM.org Moderator

Shows Seen: 117

DMB Hub Stubs: 30

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Useliteski View Post
    thought more people would have found the amazing pain killing quality of cannabis. i use it for my chronic knee pain from years of wear and tear due to cross country and ski racing. knock it all you want and call me a lazy pot head, but i'm pain free, comfortable to enough to exercise, and able to focus on the things i love to do without ruining my body with prescription pain killers. Also, a healthy diet is key, but that goes without saying.

Pot used to give me back spasms. It's one of the reasons I quit smoking it.
    Old 06-05-2013, 09:07 PM   #52
    haybale97
    king of men

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by DrewD55 View Post
    I'm not a doctor, but I've defended enough bodily injury/workers' comp cases to have read enough medical records and deposed enough doctors to put this out there: a big component of it is psychological. Here's the thing: you bulge a disc, or especially if you herniate one, that condition can't be repaired. Surgery can alleviate the problem by taking the pressure of the spinal column off of the cord, but there's always a lingering pain. I've seen plenty of cases where folks have had everything done to them that could be done and didn't respond but where their caretakers suspected them of malingering, because there's really no way that treatment (unless your doctor's a quack) should ever make your condition worse. The attitude that you approach it has a lot to do with how your body will react.

That being said, because a bulge or a herniation is irreversible, the best means of treatment is to do what you can to counteract your body's response to the condition. If you have a bulging disc, it doesn't hep to have weak muscles supporting your midsection because it will only put more pressure on the part of your body that's actually hurting itself. When physical therapists prescribe stretching and the like after a back or neck injury, it's not really treating the injury itself; it's improving the injury's surroundings, so to speak, to improve the body's ability to counteract the pain. Drugs is an iffy proposition, and if you can, stick to over-the-counter non-steroidal-anti-inflammatories, like Aleve or prescription Naproxen or Flexeril. You start getting into opioid derivatives like Oxy or the like, and you're just asking for trouble.

Surgery, I don't see as a miracle cure-all and should always be considered as a last resort. Just as a tip from me for minor back pain, the Icy Hot shit that Shaq pitches? Works pretty damn well. Yes, it's stuck in the dark ages and still smells like Ben-Gay, when even Ben-Gay doesn't actually smell like that anymore, but it does the job, as far as a topical painkiller.
    Nailed our profession pretty much on the head with low back pain

For the record, a few quick, fast facts about low back pain

-The majority of LBP is not discopathic, rather, it is muscular related. Very common misunderstanding.

-When it is a disc problem, the progression of symptoms are; pain, the second is numbness/tingling, and the last is weakness. So the more severe the problem is, the further along that progression your symptoms will be

-DO NOT get an MRI unless you're willing/looking into get surgery. A good rule of thumb; your age gives you the percent chance of having a positive MRI for a disc that may be unsymptomatic. If the disc shifts anterior, there will be little to no pain. Many of us probably do have positive MRIs and we'll never know it.

-There is no "for sure, do this and you'll be all better!!" cure. It's a combination of things based on your current symptoms and how you respond to different shit.

-Know that when you do apply heat to an area (any, not just low back), you are not heating the muscles. It does not go much deeper than the skin layer. The main purpose of heat is just as a pain relief technique. So if somebody tells you "do not heat that area!" (unless you have an open wound), repeat this. If heat makes you feel better, use heat. If ice makes you feel better, use ice. It really doesn't matter. Ice does penetrate a little (relative word) deeper into the tissue, however.

Hopefully this helped a little bit. Yankees, that sucks dude. That severe of a herniation sucks, hopefully that shot helps knock down the swelling and gives you some relief

Out With Gout
    haybale97 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-14-2013, 11:25 PM   #53
    1yankeesfan

My Tour Central Stats

Wow! What a crazy day. Woke up this morning and couldn't move my left leg. I literally couldn't get out of bed. I finally got some help and tried to walk but I ended up collapsing. I ended up in the ER. I'm having a discectomy tomorrow evening. I've literally tried everything else but the nerve pain is just to much to bare. I pray this works. Nothing is scarier then feeling like you're paralyzed. Wish me luck fellow Ants. :-)

Really?
    Old 07-15-2013, 12:26 AM   #54
    bartender_man

DMB Hub Stubs: 18

My Tour Central Stats

Good luck! Sorry to hear you're going through this
    Old 07-15-2013, 02:38 AM   #55
    jnovo22

My Tour Central Stats

I have 2 conditions: Spinal Stenosis in C4-7 and spondylitis which is the fusing together of the spine. They're pinching the nerves spin and I have no feeling in almost the entire right side of my body. It was discovered a year ago. The pain in my neck is pretty bad most days, and the numbness is something I've learned to deal with. I tried chiropractors based on some recommendations with limited results. There was an ease of pain for a short period, but it came roaring back with a vengeance. I do physical therapy 3x/week. Started in April. I haven't noticed much difference, and it makes my neck sore as anything. Bengay, excedrin and tylenol PM's help me sleep.

Surgery may or may not help, because if it's genetic, it'll just attack the next set of bones in the spine. It limits my ability to walk at any reasonable distance >1/2 mile, the ability to stand up straight, so it's F'ing my posture. And it feels like wearing mittens all the time. This shit blows.

I'll post my MRI's when I get to work this morning.

Last edited by jnovo22; 07-15-2013 at 02:38 AM. Reason: wrong C discs
    jnovo22 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-15-2013, 03:02 AM   #56
    justinandimcool
    denim & sheepskin

Shows Seen: 7

DMB Hub Stubs: 6

My Tour Central Stats

sleeping on the floor has helped me immensely, also learning to sleep on my side- which is probably the less insane, more probable reason for my relief.

I also don't work on my feet though, and I exercise every day. So my back has had a little more rest and mobility.
    Old 07-15-2013, 03:53 AM   #57
    salrx95

Shows Seen: 60

DMB Hub Stubs: 19

My Tour Central Stats

That sucks 1yankeesfan. Good luck with the surgery. Keep us posted.

So, since this thread started, I had an MRI on my back last month since the back pain and intense spasms returns and my right foot is constantly numb. New diagnosis is a herniated disc at l5-s1. So at least now I know why it seemed like something new was going on. Right away, I expanded my stretching routine, heating pad every 2 hours when home and increased my water intake. All that seemed to ease the lower back pain and help the disc but did not touch the numbness so I went ahead with the epidural on July 5th. Sort of waiting for it to kick in for the numbness, though my dr had his doubts since he thinks the disc is affected 2 nerves since the entire foot is numb and not just my big toe/part of foot.

Was "this close" to scheduling surgery for the plantar fasciitis in left foot since its beyond bad but the disc and continued migraines prompted me to try acupuncture first for all of it and see if it helps. I have been to 5 sessions so far and am happy to report that I've had not migraines in 3 weeks but the left foot has not improved yet. It think it has helped the back too but the numbness has gotten better.

Working a 12 hour shift on your feet the entire shift while plantar fasciitis has one foot in throbbing pain and the other foot is completely numb above the ankle due to bad disc in back is not fun at all.
    salrx95 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-15-2013, 05:24 AM   #58
    jnovo22

My Tour Central Stats

Heres a couple of images from my MRI...I was also recommended to surgery where they would remove the discs and replace them with stainless steel. I'm trying physical therapy.. I have to get re-scanned in oct/nov to see if there's any progress.

1Yankeesfan, my thoughts are with you. I've been there.
    Attached Images
    File Type: jpg spine2.jpg (35.1 KB, 16 views)
    File Type: jpg spine.jpg (40.3 KB, 12 views)
    jnovo22 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-15-2013, 06:03 AM   #59
    GSUdawg521
    hbtd

Shows Seen: 28

DMB Hub Stubs: 11

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by GSUdawg521 View Post
    Update on my deal was that I was in a good deal of pain for a few weeks, some days feeling like I could barely walk. Pain in my thigh and sometimes caused my lower back to hurt.

Went to an orthopedic dr, they took a bunch of xrays but didn't see anything definitive. Wanted me to get an MRI of my hip to rule anything out there, and gave me an anti-inflammatory.

A week later, I found out the MRI would cost me $750. Didn't really want to pay that, plus I was feeling a good bit better from the pill. So I cancelled it and my follow-up apt and just gonna finish out the next 2 weeks of the meds and see what happens. But I'm like 90% better than I was, have been walking/running a lot the past week.

Can't wait for it to be all gone though.
    GSUdawg521 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-15-2013, 03:39 PM   #60
    Doors Allan Coe
    The Whiskey Bastard

Shows Seen: 27

DMB Hub Stubs: 9

My Tour Central Stats

http://www.foxnews.com/health/2013/0...est=latestnews

could just be a case of ghetto booty?