they make these albums such a big thing - Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion

Go Back   Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion > Archive > 'Big Whiskey and the GrooGrux King' Album Discussion
Register Rules Community Top Lists Torrents AM.org

Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here

Old 05-07-2008, 05:27 PM   #1
elconguero

Shows Seen: 12

DMB Hub Stubs: 7

My Tour Central Stats

they make these albums such a big thing

i wish they would not tour and just finish the album at their own pace over the next few months. too late now i know but...

its like....we are working on this album that we think is really good or great (or at least i hope they think that) but we have to stop in the middle of this creative burst to do our annual tour, where we will not play these songs, and will possibly create new songs, that we will scrap these recorded songs for, or we will play some new ones and find new parts live, then have to re-record the already recorded material.

makes no sense to me. it gives me a bad vibe. like they are so fragile that they are afraid to release an album because they do not know what is good anymore. i don't like the nostalgic act. tour for a reason not just because you think you are supposed to every summer. you made everyone rich. no need to feel bad that someone will not get a check this summer without a tour.

they make these albums such a big thing when so many bands just go in record the shit and get on with life. you could have had so many good songs laid down on albums already(GGT, crazy easy, sugar will, jtr, SUAD, loving wings, shotgun(it was best the first time played, you are overthinking it), a dream so real, cornbread, idea of you(go back to original lyrics), #27, a million soundchecks, etc). if its good, release it, hell release it anyway. instead, they overhype it then release something subpar. so why wait.

:disclaimer:
i am probably way off base and i am sure there are a million reasons i have not listed why they have to tour and put the album on hold. i just would think by now with all they have proven they could call all of the shots and stop the constant touring. the songs are tired. put them to bed dmb. start over. you were on the right track in 04. you are still great. show it. you may also lose some of this teeny bopper crowd by taking some time off. they will forget. they are fickle. do not cater to them.

also, if shotgun turns out amazing i reserve the right to change my mind. but i would take that first version in the studio as is any day. thats what you lose with the waiting. the inspiration.

• Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here
  • Old 05-07-2008, 06:20 PM   #2
    rickyh24
    GOAT

Shows Seen: 76

DMB Hub Stubs: 25

My Tour Central Stats

Re: they make these albums such a big thing

Quote:
    Originally Posted by elconguero View Post
    i wish they would not tour
    Old 05-07-2008, 06:25 PM   #3
    bibby1044

Shows Seen: 61

DMB Hub Stubs: 21

My Tour Central Stats

I see what your saying, but from what Ive read in the past. It seems some member benefit from a studio setting in a creative sense and some are the opposite.
    Old 05-07-2008, 06:33 PM   #4
    Whiteyxc514

Shows Seen: 32

DMB Hub Stubs: 13

My Tour Central Stats

DMB is synonymous with summer tour. I wouldn't wanna see them take a summer off just to work on an album. However, I do see what you're saying about them overthinking it. Whatever though. As long as we get an awesome summer tour, I don't mind waiting for a new album
    Old 05-07-2008, 06:37 PM   #5
    Semper454

Shows Seen: 11

DMB Hub Stubs: 5

My Tour Central Stats

I agree 100%. Get the damn album done already. Quit trodding through these tours like they're mandatory, sit down for 3, 4, 5.... 8... 10 months... however long it takes and make a damn album. I cannot believe they're about to put off yet another set of studio sessions. Everybody thought the time between Busted Stuff and Stand Up was ridiculous, well we're at the same amount of time since Stand Up, and we still have no release date on the horizon. This band has had so much time in the studio and nothing new to show for it.

Basically, DMB, your first priority at this point should not be going out on the road for the 17th consecutive summer. It'll be over three years by the end of the tour since you last put out a studio album, and some would say it's been a whole lot longer since you put out anything good. Get in the studio, work a little bit, and make a quality album. Once that's done you can go out on tour and play Jimi Thing for the 847th time.
    Old 05-07-2008, 07:16 PM   #6
    Whiteyxc514

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Semper454 View Post
    I agree 100%. Get the damn album done already. Quit trodding through these tours like they're mandatory, sit down for 3, 4, 5.... 8... 10 months... however long it takes and make a damn album. I cannot believe they're about to put off yet another set of studio sessions. Everybody thought the time between Busted Stuff and Stand Up was ridiculous, well we're at the same amount of time since Stand Up, and we still have no release date on the horizon. This band has had so much time in the studio and nothing new to show for it.

Basically, DMB, your first priority at this point should not be going out on the road for the 17th consecutive summer. It'll be over three years by the end of the tour since you last put out a studio album, and some would say it's been a whole lot longer since you put out anything good. Get in the studio, work a little bit, and make a quality album. Once that's done you can go out on tour and play Jimi Thing for the 847th time.
    What makes you say they're gonna scrap these sessions?

Also, I think a lot of DMB fans couldn't care less about what they do in the studio, as long as they keep coming back to SPAC, Alpine, The Gorge, etc. every year
    Old 05-07-2008, 07:38 PM   #7
    Semper454

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Whiteyxc514 View Post
    What makes you say they're gonna scrap these sessions?

Also, I think a lot of DMB fans couldn't care less about what they do in the studio, as long as they keep coming back to SPAC, Alpine, The Gorge, etc. every year
    I didn't say they're going to scrap them. But they are, at the very least, taking what they've got, putting it away for four months, and then coming back later. I can't say I've ever recorded an album, but I would imagine that as with anything creative, you can't just make half of it, quit for four months, and then come right back and pick up where you left off. It kinda needs a creative flow to be any good.

And I kind of disagree with your point about fans wanting just a tour stop or two very summer. To me, that's the definition of a novelty act. And DMB is not there quite yet. Although if they keep up with this stuff, that's what they'll become. They've shown they can still write good material, but if they're not committed to getting it down and releasing it, then that's pretty inconsequential.
    Old 05-07-2008, 07:54 PM   #8
    LowEnd_Theory
    ...the cool-out breed

Shows Seen: 7

DMB Hub Stubs: 8

My Tour Central Stats

Semper... how in the world do you know they arent completing the album right now? I think you are making a lot of assumptions. They have nothing to show for it? Did you think that maybe they just have been taking a low key approach and not hyping the album and giving us 5 videos and a website?

Im just saying...

I know there's a full moon every night. When I dress black it snows white...
    Old 05-07-2008, 07:58 PM   #9
    Semper454

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by LowEnd_Theory View Post
    Semper... how in the world do you know they arent completing the album right now? I think you are making a lot of assumptions. They have nothing to show for it? Did you think that maybe they just have been taking a low key approach and not hyping the album and giving us 5 videos and a website?

Im just saying...
    They could be. I'm going off the assumption they aren't going to completely finish the album by the end of May. But then again, some of the guys around here with more reliable info have all said that the album is not very far along, and that they haven't done much since Easter. Add that to Tim going in the studio with TR3 soon, and what does it look like? Either they finished most/all of the album by Easter, or once again, they're going to have spent a few months in the studio, and then take off for another few more, again without finishing an album.
    Old 05-07-2008, 08:03 PM   #10
    LowEnd_Theory
    ...the cool-out breed

Shows Seen: 7

DMB Hub Stubs: 8

My Tour Central Stats

Thats cool. I mean I usually pay attention to what thestand has to say and a few other around here, and he just said he would expect this tour to be along the lines of 2002 (meanig thr album is done). Also, just looking around at TDC, it seems to me that the hints being dropped are this thing is gonna be sooner than later as well. I mean, you just gotta take it for what its worth until somehing real is announced, but as of today, Im gonna lean towards the side of this this is going to be done and released mid tour earliest, fall at the latest.

I know there's a full moon every night. When I dress black it snows white...
    Old 05-07-2008, 08:10 PM   #11
    Semper454

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Thats cool. I mean I usually pay attention to what thestand has to say and a few other around here, and he just said he would expect this tour to be along the lines of 2002 (meanig thr album is done). Also, just looking around at TDC, it seems to me that the hints being dropped are this thing is gonna be sooner than later as well. I mean, you just gotta take it for what its worth until somehing real is announced, but as of today, Im gonna lean towards the side of this this is going to be done and released mid tour earliest, fall at the latest.
    I must have missed that part. The last thing I saw him say was that they had only spent a few days in the studio since Easter. If that's true, then yeah either they're pretty far along, and we're going to see a really quick release fairly soon, or they're dragging again and this project going to continue into next year.
    Old 05-07-2008, 09:05 PM   #12
    DerekJTR2

Shows Seen: 39

DMB Hub Stubs: 15

My Tour Central Stats

Correct me if I am wrong, but DMB has toured every summer since their inception...that is who they are. I think the album may be in the final stages. I don't think NOT touring is an option, or something that would have a positive result
    Old 05-07-2008, 09:13 PM   #13
    Cornbread4041

Shows Seen: 0

DMB Hub Stubs: 1

My Tour Central Stats

this is what i have been saying for a while. I think they just need to get a good album out, and they could have done that already and then work on the EPIC album. I mean i always thought the following would make a great album, which they could lay down quickly and make people happy with actaully having a half decent release:

1) crazy easy
    2) joyride
    3) JTR
    4) Eh Hee
    5) Sweet up and down
    6) cornbread
    7) Shotgun
    8) Idea of You
    9) Sugar Will
    10) Loving Wings
    11) Shotgun Reprise
    Old 05-07-2008, 09:14 PM   #14
    berman1125

Shows Seen: 84

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    They could be. I'm going off the assumption they aren't going to completely finish the album by the end of May. But then again, some of the guys around here with more reliable info have all said that the album is not very far along, and that they haven't done much since Easter. Add that to Tim going in the studio with TR3 soon, and what does it look like? Either they finished most/all of the album by Easter, or once again, they're going to have spent a few months in the studio, and then take off for another few more, again without finishing an album.

and we have no info to support either claim. i mean info, no insiders crap.
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by zrroot View Post
    Do You Remember has been played 92 times since 2017. Dreaming Tree has been played 99 times since 1998
    Old 05-07-2008, 09:14 PM   #15
    DerekJTR2

Shows Seen: 39

DMB Hub Stubs: 15

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cornbread4041 View Post

1) crazy easy
    2) joyride
    3) JTR
    4) Eh Hee
    5) Sweet up and down
    6) cornbread
    7) Shotgun
    8) Idea of You
    9) Sugar Will
    10) Loving Wings
    11) Shotgun Reprise
    Great Disc MINUS Eh Hee

Eh Hee will never be done again
    Old 05-07-2008, 09:15 PM   #16
    berman1125

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:

im with you on this whole post but i wouldnt write peoples names on the boards
    Quote:
    Do You Remember has been played 92 times since 2017. Dreaming Tree has been played 99 times since 1998
    Old 05-07-2008, 09:16 PM   #17
    Whiteyxc514

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    this is what i have been saying for a while. I think they just need to get a good album out, and they could have done that already and then work on the EPIC album. I mean i always thought the following would make a great album, which they could lay down quickly and make people happy with actaully having a half decent release:

1) crazy easy
    2) joyride
    3) JTR
    4) Eh Hee
    5) Sweet up and down
    6) cornbread
    7) Shotgun
    8) Idea of You
    9) Sugar Will
    10) Loving Wings
    11) Shotgun Reprise
    They could've released this last year and made another album this year with all the new material they are working on...Kinda like Everyday and then Busted Stuff being in back to back years
    Old 05-07-2008, 09:23 PM   #18
    Semper454

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by berman1125 View Post
    and we have no info to support either claim. i mean info, no insiders crap.
    Well, we've got the fact that it's May 8. The tour begins in three weeks, and there's been next to no publicity for an album yet (aside from a single video that was released the night before tickets went on sale... hmmm... ). We know there isn't any extensive break for the band mid-tour to finish up recording, work on retouches, etc. So if the band is done or nearly done, they're very much pulling a NIN/Radiohead/Raconteurs style limited publicity, extremely quick, surprise release. But being that there have been about 3 major bands that have done that in the modern record industry, I wouldn't necessarily bet on it.

Again, there's a chance I'm wrong, but it looks like we're in for the third consecutive summer of road testing, a break post-tour, back in the studio in the Fall, break for the holidays, reconvene post-New year, and then maybe they finish up an album by Summer Tour 2009.
    Old 05-07-2008, 09:32 PM   #19
    berman1125

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Well, we've got the fact that it's May 8. The tour begins in three weeks, and there's been next to no publicity for an album yet (aside from a single video that was released the night before tickets went on sale... hmmm... ). We know there isn't any extensive break for the band mid-tour to finish up recording, work on retouches, etc. So if the band is done or nearly done, they're very much pulling a NIN/Radiohead/Raconteurs style limited publicity, extremely quick, surprise release. But being that there have been about 3 major bands that have done that in the modern record industry, I wouldn't necessarily bet on it.

Again, there's a chance I'm wrong, but it looks like we're in for the third consecutive summer of road testing, a break post-tour, back in the studio in the Fall, break for the holidays, reconvene post-New year, and then maybe they finish up an album by Summer Tour 2009.

yea i do see what you are saying, and up until about 3 days ago i was one of the biggest pushers for a feb 09 release on this whole site. but for some reason (cavallo interview) i just think its gonna be out soon. and by soon i mean OCT/or first week of NOV

i mean if they give us the release date of the album when the studio site goes live, which i think will be by the tour, that gives you 5-6 months to hype a album, while the band is on tour.

i can hear it now...."Hey yall, be sure to pick up our album when it drops in Oct." as 30,000 fans scream. "yeahh, get that album so we can sell tix for a winter tour to play the hell out of the new songs!!"
    Quote:
    Old 05-07-2008, 09:42 PM   #20
    IrishDMBF

Shows Seen: 89

DMB Hub Stubs: 17

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:

1) crazy easy
    2) joyride
    3) JTR
    4) Eh Hee
    5) Sweet up and down
    6) cornbread
    7) Shotgun
    8) Idea of You
    9) Sugar Will
    10) Loving Wings
    11) Shotgun Reprise
    This album would be called a B-sides album. Most B-sides album have very limited publicity associated with them.
    Old 05-07-2008, 09:47 PM   #21
    RavenMaven
    To the Trees!!

Shows Seen: 21

DMB Hub Stubs: 11

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    this is what i have been saying for a while. I think they just need to get a good album out, and they could have done that already and then work on the EPIC album.

Sounds like what their mentality was with the BS sessions, and we know how that turned out.
    Old 05-07-2008, 10:04 PM   #22
    Cornbread4041

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by DerekJTR2 View Post
    Great Disc MINUS Eh Hee

Eh Hee will never be done again
    i may be alone on thsi one, but for some odd reason, i like the idea of a studio eh hee w/ the roots, sorta like alanis was on ddtw and spoon
    Old 05-07-2008, 10:06 PM   #23
    Cornbread4041

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Whiteyxc514 View Post
    They could've released this last year and made another album this year with all the new material they are working on...Kinda like Everyday and then Busted Stuff being in back to back years
    Thats my exact point, and to be honest, I would be happy to get Busted Stuff V2, but actually produced well, i mean that album does have 3 of my top 10 all time favorite dmb songs, even if the production is less than desired
    Old 05-07-2008, 11:06 PM   #24
    jayman414
    GO PACK GO

Shows Seen: 38

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    yea i do see what you are saying, and up until about 3 days ago i was one of the biggest pushers for a feb 09 release on this whole site. but for some reason (cavallo interview) i just think its gonna be out soon. and by soon i mean OCT/or first week of NOV

i mean if they give us the release date of the album when the studio site goes live, which i think will be by the tour, that gives you 5-6 months to hype a album, while the band is on tour.

i can hear it now...."Hey yall, be sure to pick up our album when it drops in Oct." as 30,000 fans scream. "yeahh, get that album so we can sell tix for a winter tour to play the hell out of the new songs!!"

What Cavallo interview are you talking about?

Old 05-08-2008, 12:30 AM   #25
    bigredjeff

Shows Seen: 45

My Tour Central Stats

oddly enough, i was thinking something along these lines recently. i've read 3-4 non-DMB related things lately that just made me think everyone's got themselves too worked up about an album: there's an otis redding album recently re-issued that was recorded in one day, with his backing band leaving for a few hours to go do a live show. Steve Winwood was talking about recording with Jimi Hendrix in an interview recently and he said something along the lines of, "he explained the song structure to me, talked about how he wanted it to sound, and we finished it in 3 takes." And I've been reading Eric Clapton's autobiography...some of those classic Cream albums were recorded VERY quickly and without overthinking it. Add to those readings that a number of bands seem to put out music every 2 years, or if you're Nine Inch Nails, every 2 weeks/months.

it all adds up to make me feel like the whole process has become overblown. Yes, I want a great album with great songs...but it's occurred to me that (at times) our mindset seems to be that everything this band does has to be "epic" or whatever term you want to use. We want an album full of Two Steps (or insert favorite DMB song here)...and maybe our expectations, and the band's feelings, have created a kind of creative paralysis where it's no longer okay to lay down a song in a few takes or have a song that isn't some epic jam vehicle.

If it was good enough for Cream, good enough for Jimi Hendrix, good enough for Otis Redding...maybe, just maybe, it'd be ok for the band not to spend 3 years in the studio throwing out tons of songs and re-recording things 50 times. Hell, it's good enough for Nine Inch Nails: The Slip was recorded FAST, mastered, artwork, etc. in a weekend(!). Is it NIN's best work? No. But it's a good listen, and I'm happy to have more NIN to listen to.

Disclaimer: I'm not saying the band should be lazy or adopt the Stand Up mindset of "that's a song!" And I realize that Cream, Jimi & Otis recorded a fair amount of covers to go on those albums - removing some of the songwriting process. But...I would like to see the band relax a bit and be more prolific. It doesn't have to be perfect everytime. At the core, we're all music fans - give us music.
    Old 05-08-2008, 01:01 AM   #26
    lockman21
    Yandle Award 2014-15

Shows Seen: 240

DMB Hub Stubs: 32

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:

1) crazy easy
    2) joyride
    3) JTR
    4) Eh Hee
    5) Sweet up and down
    6) cornbread
    7) Shotgun
    8) Idea of You
    9) Sugar Will
    10) Loving Wings
    11) Shotgun Reprise
    No offense, but that would suck. I want new songs.
    Old 05-08-2008, 05:28 AM   #27
    berman1125

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by jayman414 View Post
    What Cavallo interview are you talking about?

the fake one. i thought i had it all figured out when that came out. it was for sure gonna be 09. but as we know. that was bullshit. so im goin with Oct now.
    Quote:
    Old 05-08-2008, 05:43 AM   #28
    jayman414
    GO PACK GO

Shows Seen: 38

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    the fake one. i thought i had it all figured out when that came out. it was for sure gonna be 09. but as we know. that was bullshit. so im goin with Oct now.
    Gotcha ya, I was fairly confused for a moment thinking I had missed one since the fake one came out

Old 05-08-2008, 05:59 AM   #29
    berman1125

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by jayman414 View Post
    Gotcha ya, I was fairly confused for a moment thinking I had missed one since the fake one came out

yeah i i worded it badly. i thought when it came out that there was no question that a feb 09 release was coming. but it was fake, and that knocks out a lot of info. so now we have a 1 min clip. and a coming soon site. that may seem like it would lean towards a later release because of the little info.

but the way i see it, they could give us the studio site when the tour starts. and with that give us info on: name of the album, release date (Oct/1st weed of nov), and track listings. that gives 5 months of touring/promoting to every single fan you see. how many millions of fans are they playing infront of? and they are promoting to the people that will buy there music! i mean they are at their show. haha

then the tour ends, the album comes out. just in time for xmas. then start touring in jan.
    Quote:

Last edited by berman1125; 05-08-2008 at 06:01 AM.
    Old 05-08-2008, 06:11 AM   #30
    BigEyedFerg
    Content and dreaming

Shows Seen: 24

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    (Oct/1st weed of nov)

At least now we know what's really on your mind