Weightlifting - Page 191 - Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion

Go Back   Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion > General Discussion > nDMBc Discussion
Register Rules Community Top Lists Torrents AM.org

Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here

Old 08-12-2016, 11:26 AM   #5701
fridge112887
William Perry

Shows Seen: 13

DMB Hub Stubs: 7

My Tour Central Stats

Re: Weightlifting

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwehaeDMB View Post
Any of you follow the social media guy Jason Genova?
I've heard his name thrown around and maybe watched a video or two just to see what the big deal was. Did something occur recently? For what reason did you bring him up?

• Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here
  • Old 08-12-2016, 06:36 PM   #5702
    jwehaeDMB
    Juice

Shows Seen: 76

DMB Hub Stubs: 23

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by gonz085 View Post
    It's funny you mention this. Ive been going over to the Muscular Development boards lately because of the Kevin Levrone comeback and saw a thread on this guy. It doesn't seem real.
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by fridge112887 View Post
    I've heard his name thrown around and maybe watched a video or two just to see what the big deal was. Did something occur recently? For what reason did you bring him up?
    I've recently followed him on Instagram and Youtube...he has an insane cult following. People make spinoff IG accounts just to share recorded snaps, and other miscellaneous archived videos of this kid.

He definitely has some issues, but everything from his awkward selfie videos to his terrible grammar to the fact that he tries to compete in body building cracks me up.
    Atlanta 2006, my wife and I enjoyed a great show. I drank moderately and had a bite to eat before leaving. Upon our arrival home we had intercourse in the missionary position for the sole purpose of procreation. A child was concieved and is now the light of our lives.
    jwehaeDMB is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 08-12-2016, 06:37 PM   #5703
    jwehaeDMB
    Juice

Shows Seen: 76

DMB Hub Stubs: 23

My Tour Central Stats

Kevin Levrone comeback is crazy btw, good for him.
    Atlanta 2006, my wife and I enjoyed a great show. I drank moderately and had a bite to eat before leaving. Upon our arrival home we had intercourse in the missionary position for the sole purpose of procreation. A child was concieved and is now the light of our lives.
    jwehaeDMB is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 08-12-2016, 06:56 PM   #5704
    fridge112887
    William Perry

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    I've recently followed him on Instagram and Youtube...he has an insane cult following. People make spinoff IG accounts just to share recorded snaps, and other miscellaneous archived videos of this kid.

He definitely has some issues, but everything from his awkward selfie videos to his terrible grammar to the fact that he tries to compete in body building cracks me up.
    The whole thing bothers me. I know he means well and I'm sure a large percentage of his followers genuinely do care, but there are the ones mocking/making fun of him because of his disability.
    Old 08-13-2016, 10:37 AM   #5705
    gonz085
    Tag Team Back Again

Shows Seen: 20

DMB Hub Stubs: 12

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Kevin Levrone comeback is crazy btw, good for him.
    I think he's going to do serious damage. He looks unreal for 52 and there's still 5-6 weeks to go.
    gonz085 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-12-2017, 07:22 AM   #5706
    Timebomb07

Shows Seen: 48

DMB Hub Stubs: 19

My Tour Central Stats

It's been nearly 2 years since I've been working out consistently. I'm not out of shape by any means, but I think I am finally ready to make a lifestyle change. So, getting back in the gym is step 1, but need some help/thoughts on how to best rework my dietary intake. I've never tried to alter my diet in anyway before, so any insight will be super helpful. Basically need something strict that I can follow to keep me on track.
    Timebomb07 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-12-2017, 07:30 AM   #5707
    M. Steng
    Empowered & Informed.

Shows Seen: 21

DMB Hub Stubs: 14

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Timebomb07 View Post
    It's been nearly 2 years since I've been working out consistently. I'm not out of shape by any means, but I think I am finally ready to make a lifestyle change. So, getting back in the gym is step 1, but need some help/thoughts on how to best rework my dietary intake. I've never tried to alter my diet in anyway before, so any insight will be super helpful. Basically need something strict that I can follow to keep me on track.
    My biggest suggestion would simply be planning and preparation. You don't need to buy a book or a program to tell you that you should be eating lots of grilled chicken and veggies if you want to eat healthier. As a grown ass man you know what's good for you and what isn't.

My wife loves the 21-day fix but I can't get down with being that strict. It's too hard to keep up with over a long period of time for any sustained success.

It simply comes down to discipline. A big part of this is planning your meals out and physically preparing them ahead of time as well. Before my wedding when I was doing really well with my eating habits, I would do one week straight of salads with grilled chicken, and then one week of a prepared dish (usually grilled/baked chicken with some sweet potato fries and a veggie) so that I didn't get sick of either. Just prepare the chicken on a Sunday night and it should get you through to Friday. This helped me a lot because lunch is always my weakness, it's so easy to not feel like making lunch in the morning and then picking up a 1000-calorie sandwich from the deli around the corner or hitting a fast food place. Taking the decision out of your own hands ahead of time is key for me.

Everyone is different, so if you really do need a strict diet plan, I would recommend the Shred Diet (https://play.google.com/store/books/...oDuA&gclsrc=ds) I've used this before, it's a 6-week program that gets you acclimated to eating a little bit less food each week. It also has some good recipes and it literally lays everything out for you day by day so all you have to do is look at the list and stick to it. It helped me a lot during law school when I needed that discipline.
    Old 01-12-2017, 08:14 AM   #5708
    Timebomb07

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by M. Steng View Post
    My biggest suggestion would simply be planning and preparation. You don't need to buy a book or a program to tell you that you should be eating lots of grilled chicken and veggies if you want to eat healthier. As a grown ass man you know what's good for you and what isn't.

My wife loves the 21-day fix but I can't get down with being that strict. It's too hard to keep up with over a long period of time for any sustained success.

It simply comes down to discipline. A big part of this is planning your meals out and physically preparing them ahead of time as well. Before my wedding when I was doing really well with my eating habits, I would do one week straight of salads with grilled chicken, and then one week of a prepared dish (usually grilled/baked chicken with some sweet potato fries and a veggie) so that I didn't get sick of either. Just prepare the chicken on a Sunday night and it should get you through to Friday. This helped me a lot because lunch is always my weakness, it's so easy to not feel like making lunch in the morning and then picking up a 1000-calorie sandwich from the deli around the corner or hitting a fast food place. Taking the decision out of your own hands ahead of time is key for me.

Everyone is different, so if you really do need a strict diet plan, I would recommend the Shred Diet (https://play.google.com/store/books/...oDuA&gclsrc=ds) I've used this before, it's a 6-week program that gets you acclimated to eating a little bit less food each week. It also has some good recipes and it literally lays everything out for you day by day so all you have to do is look at the list and stick to it. It helped me a lot during law school when I needed that discipline.
    To the bolded, absolutely. However, I think I'd benefit greatly from following something vs. going at it myself. I could construct a diet that would be healthy, but I kind of like the idea of following a set plan.

I've always eaten whatever I've wanted with no worries... and for the most part, still can (except for the copious amounts of IPAs I drink, which I absolutely need to cut back on).

Agreed on the meal prep though. That's got to be incorporated into whatever I end of following. So much easier and will keep it on track, because as you said, it's much easier to wake up and say "fuck it" and hit the deli for lunch.
    Old 01-12-2017, 09:01 AM   #5709
    WidespreadMule3

Shows Seen: 28

DMB Hub Stubs: 13

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    I'm not sure it's been mentioned yet, but MyFitnessPal. It's an app that you put in all that you eat every day. It keeps up with your macros (which are INSANELY important) and can you give you some good details for a free app.

I really like using it because there's no point in using it if you're going to cheat (i.e. not put in that candy bar you had at work).

When I was trying to lose some weight before my wedding it was one of the best tools I had. I still use it but more just to keep up with my diet as a whole. You learn a lot when using it and it's really made me consider what I'm eating now.
    WidespreadMule3 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-12-2017, 09:08 AM   #5710
    M. Steng
    Empowered & Informed.

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by WidespreadMule3 View Post
    I'm not sure it's been mentioned yet, but MyFitnessPal. It's an app that you put in all that you eat every day. It keeps up with your macros (which are INSANELY important) and can you give you some good details for a free app.

I really like using it because there's no point in using it if you're going to cheat (i.e. not put in that candy bar you had at work).

When I was trying to lose some weight before my wedding it was one of the best tools I had. I still use it but more just to keep up with my diet as a whole. You learn a lot when using it and it's really made me consider what I'm eating now.
    Macros really aren't important until you really start to plateau and have a goal you're trying to achieve. Obviously you don't want to be consuming a lot of carbs, but fruits and veggies are considered carbs and those are good for you. So worrying about macros up front often misses the point for most dieters.
    Old 01-12-2017, 10:35 AM   #5711
    Timebomb07

My Tour Central Stats

Cool - I'll give it a look.

At the end of the day, if I'm consistently working out, I can probably get away with eating almost anything I want, but that's not what I want this time around. A larger change is in the cards to get some real results rather than just building muscle at the expense of still keeping some fat. Don't need to get ripped, but I can do a lot better if I can maintain a healthy diet.
    Old 01-12-2017, 11:17 AM   #5712
    Unsheathed
    Platypus Wrangler

Shows Seen: 0

DMB Hub Stubs: 1

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:

At the end of the day, if I'm consistently working out, I can probably get away with eating almost anything I want, but that's not what I want this time around. A larger change is in the cards to get some real results rather than just building muscle at the expense of still keeping some fat. Don't need to get ripped, but I can do a lot better if I can maintain a healthy diet.
    In my humble opinion, keep doing what you're doing, and improve your overall health in small increments that you can commit to for the long haul.

I keep a spreadsheet on googledocs to make sure I'm adhering to honest attempts at improvement, no matter how gradual and no matter how many times I fail. In early 2016 I was, on average, pounding over 4 beers a day. Now my overall average stands at 2.16, largely because I review my past habits every day, and I suppose that gives me motivation to change them.

Go back two years, and I was smoking weed every day. I had given up working out entirely, and my physical health was destroying my mental health. It's been a gradual process since then, but I've made progress.

I currently lift 6 days a week and do cardio 4 days a week. I started off lifting 2 days a week and going for short walks. For me, slow progress is what really builds into a strong, consistent regimen devoid of burnout, injury, or apathy.
    Unsheathed is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-12-2017, 11:33 AM   #5713
    Timebomb07

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Unsheathed View Post
    In my humble opinion, keep doing what you're doing, and improve your overall health in small increments that you can commit to for the long haul.

I keep a spreadsheet on googledocs to make sure I'm adhering to honest attempts at improvement, no matter how gradual and no matter how many times I fail. In early 2016 I was, on average, pounding over 4 beers a day. Now my overall average stands at 2.16, largely because I review my past habits every day, and I suppose that gives me motivation to change them.

Go back two years, and I was smoking weed every day. I had given up working out entirely, and my physical health was destroying my mental health. It's been a gradual process since then, but I've made progress.

I currently lift 6 days a week and do cardio 4 days a week. I started off lifting 2 days a week and going for short walks. For me, slow progress is what really builds into a strong, consistent regimen devoid of burnout, injury, or apathy.

good stuff.
    Old 01-12-2017, 12:49 PM   #5714
    tyler3440

Shows Seen: 17

DMB Hub Stubs: 6

My Tour Central Stats

I came here to say yeah bro I pump iron. Uhhhhhh I'm a god damn real man. Fist pump!
    Old 01-12-2017, 12:52 PM   #5715
    M. Steng
    Empowered & Informed.

My Tour Central Stats

Please seek treatment.
    Old 01-12-2017, 12:53 PM   #5716
    scrock25

Shows Seen: 26

DMB Hub Stubs: 11

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by tyler3440 View Post
    I came here to say yeah bro I pump iron. Uhhhhhh I'm a god damn real man. Fist pump!
    JFC
    scrock25 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-12-2017, 12:57 PM   #5717
    tyler3440

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by M. Steng View Post
    Please seek treatment.
    The only treatment is pumping more iron.
    Old 01-12-2017, 02:42 PM   #5718
    tyler3440

My Tour Central Stats

I have so much testosterone. Uhhhh I'm a real man. Bro I just pumped out about 5 sets of 350 pounds. I'm fucking swoll uhhhh. Just got damn Vains popping too.

Last edited by tyler3440; 01-12-2017 at 02:46 PM.
    tyler3440 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-12-2017, 02:44 PM   #5719
    tyler3440

My Tour Central Stats

I live at the gym bro

I Stay swoll 24/7

Last edited by tyler3440; 01-12-2017 at 02:45 PM.
    tyler3440 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-12-2017, 02:56 PM   #5720
    tyler3440

My Tour Central Stats

In all seriousness after about a little bit more then a year of working out I quit the past few months I need to get back to the gym.
    Old 01-12-2017, 04:29 PM   #5721
    gonz085
    Tag Team Back Again

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    I wouldn't change your diet yet. If you're looking to get back into shape, you should just start with the basics: movement. Whether it's walking, lifting with limited rest, HIIT cardio, whatever you have to do but start out small and not 110%. If you've been out of the game a while then you're going to have a pretty good responding period to weights when you go back to the gym and make quick gains. You want to get the most results out of the least amount of work. I'd suggest go back, get some of the foundational strength back, and keep your diet relatively the same and see what changes occur and up your work capacity in small increments as time passes. Then, if you notice your progress stifling, begin to restrict calories (but once again, a little at a time). I'd also get down about how many calories you are currently consuming per day now as a baseline. Doesn't have to be exact, just an average.

Point being, you want to prolong your period where your body can positively respond rather than unloading the clip all at once. Good luck.

Last edited by gonz085; 01-12-2017 at 04:30 PM.
    Old 01-13-2017, 05:05 AM   #5722
    Unsheathed
    Platypus Wrangler

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    I have so much testosterone. Uhhhh I'm a real man. Bro I just pumped out about 5 sets of 350 pounds. I'm fucking swoll uhhhh. Just got damn Vains popping too.
    You hitting the supplements brah?

I only use proprietary blends, and I consume as many expensive supps as my budget will allow. I usually get two of everything at GNC and consume 3 pounds of pure supps every night. My veins are 3 inches in diameter and I'm shitting torrents of blood, so you know those precious blends are working right.
    Old 01-13-2017, 06:19 AM   #5723
    Timebomb07

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by gonz085 View Post
    I wouldn't change your diet yet. If you're looking to get back into shape, you should just start with the basics: movement. Whether it's walking, lifting with limited rest, HIIT cardio, whatever you have to do but start out small and not 110%. If you've been out of the game a while then you're going to have a pretty good responding period to weights when you go back to the gym and make quick gains. You want to get the most results out of the least amount of work. I'd suggest go back, get some of the foundational strength back, and keep your diet relatively the same and see what changes occur and up your work capacity in small increments as time passes. Then, if you notice your progress stifling, begin to restrict calories (but once again, a little at a time). I'd also get down about how many calories you are currently consuming per day now as a baseline. Doesn't have to be exact, just an average.

Point being, you want to prolong your period where your body can positively respond rather than unloading the clip all at once. Good luck.
    sounds good.
    Old 01-13-2017, 07:42 AM   #5724
    tyler3440

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Unsheathed View Post
    You hitting the supplements brah?

I only use proprietary blends, and I consume as many expensive supps as my budget will allow. I usually get two of everything at GNC and consume 3 pounds of pure supps every night. My veins are 3 inches in diameter and I'm shitting torrents of blood, so you know those precious blends are working right.
    Haha my post was a joke. I can't tell if your post is a joke as well.
    Old 01-13-2017, 09:04 AM   #5725
    fridge112887
    William Perry

My Tour Central Stats

Society needs to get over the fear of carbohydrates - they are not the enemy
    Old 01-13-2017, 12:36 PM   #5726
    Unsheathed
    Platypus Wrangler

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Haha my post was a joke. I can't tell if your post is a joke as well.
    Yeah I know mine was a joke as well lol. You should seriously avoid anything that says proprietary blend.

I drink protein after a workout, but that's it.
    Old 03-08-2017, 05:31 PM   #5727
    fridge112887
    William Perry

My Tour Central Stats

Just got my Inzer Forever weight lifting belt in the mail today. Holy cow this thing is a thick (10 mm) beast! If you're in the market for a quality belt, Inzer is the way to go.
    Old 03-08-2017, 07:02 PM   #5728
    MDPrompter
    Prmpter Chief Economist

Shows Seen: 46

DMB Hub Stubs: 16

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by fridge112887 View Post
    Society needs to get over the fear of carbohydrates - they are not the enemy
    Yes they are. Society needs to get over its fear of fat.
    MDPrompter is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 03-08-2017, 07:03 PM   #5729
    MDPrompter
    Prmpter Chief Economist

Shows Seen: 46

DMB Hub Stubs: 16

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:

How old are you?
    MDPrompter is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 03-08-2017, 07:15 PM   #5730
    gonz085
    Tag Team Back Again

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by mdmarvich View Post
    Yes they are. Society needs to get over its fear of fat.
    Seriously. It's way more sugar than anything else. If you cut that, you're going to be on your way to being lean in no time. I doubt most people have any real idea as to how much they consume on a daily basis.