Cheap Flights - Page 2 - Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion
Old 07-04-2005, 10:17 AM   #31
Dr. Strangelove
MeinFührerIcanwalk!

Shows Seen: 21

DMB Hub Stubs: 7

My Tour Central Stats

Re: Cheap Flights

I've heard first hand accounts and read hundreds of others about Orbitz screwing people over pretty bad. I'd stay away from them, if possible.

• Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here
  • Old 07-04-2005, 04:38 PM   #32
    cj4258

Shows Seen: 2

DMB Hub Stubs: 4

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by boiii
    curtis, are you going to do these special favors for other ants?
    ill make out with you maybe!

cheers.
    ken
    As long as I can get a fare that you want, I'll sell it to you. No special favors about it. I can't always promise that a fare I have is cheaper than what you've seen previously. It's a 50/50 chance, but I'll always look.

For the record, fellow ants, if you want me to look into a fare for you, I will as long as I'm at work (which is almost all the time). Please PM me your cities (origin/destination), dates, any flexibility (be it dates or other airports), and any previous quotes you've received. I work 330p-1200a Central Time and my days off are Wednesday and Thursday.

And Ken, no making out required. All I'd ask for is a cuban cigar or something. I'm sure you got connections for that stuff.
    cj4258 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-04-2005, 07:11 PM   #33
    cj4258

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dr. Strangelove
    I've heard first hand accounts and read hundreds of others about Orbitz screwing people over pretty bad. I'd stay away from them, if possible.
    Half of the customers that Cheaptickets, Orbitz, Travelocity and others have had are pissed off about it and will "never deal with them again." I work for a company that owns two of the names I just mentioned. I've worked in Web Support, Customer Service, Reservations, and currently I'm the guy you call when you have a problem with your vacation package. I'm as first-hand as you will get. Listen up people, what I'm telling you will not be told elsewhere.

The reason half of these customers are pissed off is because they did not read the rules. I deal with so many people a day that put hundreds if not THOUSANDS of dollars into travel arrangements - they only care to get the lowest price possible and don't worry about what happens later. Most of them take for granted that they can change their dates or schedules for free, or even cancel their reservations completely and get a full refund. If they only read the rules, they would have known better before they screwed THEMSELVES over.

The airline industry is a vindictive one, just like most other industries these days. In order to get a fare at a low price (we'll say anything less than $1000 domestically), you have to know that your ticket is non-refundable and most likely changeable for a fee ($50-100 domestically, $150-300 internationally) plus any applicable fare difference.

If you've come this far, then I'll give you the technical description and expand upon the last paragraph. Every airline ticket you buy is priced using "Fare Basis Codes." These serve two purposes: First, they assign whatever price is on the ticket for that routing, on that schedule, out of that city, etc... Second, they assign that ticket a set of rules dictated by the airline. Each fare basis code is a variable, and you'll probably never see the same one twice. They have blackout dates, active periods, inactive periods, exceptions, travel on Tuesday but not Wednesday, valid only from the US to the Virgin Islands but not back to the US, etc. etc. etc. The point to make here is that given the fare basis code, we are given the rule set, and the rule set says whether or not you can change and how much it costs. How do you keep yourself safe here? Read the rules. There are three kinds of airline tickets you will buy nowadays:

"Fully Refundable" or "Full Coach" Fares - Price $1000 and upwards. These tickets are the holy grail of the "savvy" business traveler. These tickets are fully refundable and fully changeable for no fees. You gain these priviledges because you are laying down a thousand if not thousands of dollars to pay for them. They are outside the reach of the common traveler for a reason, the airline has to make money. These tickets do not necessarily put you in the first or business class cabins, but if the seat is open you might get it. Otherwise, your butt is in coach.

"Coach," "Tourist" or "Published" Fares - Price between $100 and $1000, roughly. These are the most common fares in the market because they are actually within reach of the common traveler, they carry some limited flexibility on the back end, and they save the customer money up front. These fares are NON-REFUNDABLE, and are largely changeable for an airline-imposed fee ($50-100 per person domestically, $150-300 per person internationally) plus add collect (or "Fare Difference"). Add collect refers to the difference in price between the original ticket purchased and the new ticket to which it is being changed. For example, if we have a $320 airline ticket that we want to change, and the new ticket is $560, we have $240 in add collect or fare difference.

"Private" or "Non-Published" Fares - Price between $50 and $500, roughly. These fares are negotiated between the airline and the travel agency that makes them available to its customers. The agency is agreeing to sell these tickets at a lower price than the competition, bringing business to the agency, and therefore more business to the airline. Since these fares are discounted, that means the airline is loosing money (but filling seats). In order to compensate, these fares are no doubt non-refundable and largely non-changeable. These are the most restrictive fares in the market. The customer is happy on the front end because they have gotten a ticket cheaper than their friends did, but pissed off at us on the back end because they want to change it and the airline won't allow it.

Do anything you can to read the fare rules or have them made available to you. Problem there is that some big agency websites don't make it so easy to do this. At that point, you should be more concerned with what that agency website's fees and abilities after purchase are. On one website, changing your ticket or requesting a ticket void will cost you $50 per person per request IN ADDITION to those fees imposed by the airline. Knowing these fees first will ultimately guarantee no surprises in the long run. The agency website does suck for doing this, but they are wholly within their right to do so. If they issued the ticket, the airline doesn't have to touch it at all, in fact they don't want to. The agency website is a middleman and is providing a service to you.

Any travel agency or airline that participates with ARC (which is all of them except a very few) have the ability to void an airline ticket within 24 hours of its purchase or issuance. This is a service that is of no fee to the agency or airline. I void around 20-30 tickets a day for no fees - completely free to the customer - just because Jimbob's name was spelled wrong by mistake or Reki's name is really Remiliki on her passport and she wanted the morning flight that day. Stupid shit, that's why it's there. When customers get their confirmation email and don't read it until a few days later and catch their own mistakes, they've put themselves outside of the void period. Fees come into play, and changing a name on a ticket is largely illegal after 9/11.

On that subject - name changes or "Ticket Transferrance" is largely not possible and illegal nowadays. You can thank our terrorist friends and the uppity nature of the Federal Aviation Adminitration (FAA) for that one. The mandate went into place about the same time as the Patriot Act. I get calls from customers all the time saying that Jimbob can't afford to go so they want to take Imogene instead. It's just not possible people. This is all I can do for a name change: If someone's name is mispelled by one letter, a call to the airline can be made, and an agent can tell you it should not be a problem. Ultimately, the decision is made by TSA (airport security) as to whether or not you board in that situation. If the name is mispelled to the point where it's just WRONG (i. e. more than two-three letters gone/out of place), a new ticket may have to be purchased, but we can try to play on the airline's sympathies. Fees come back into play there.

Let's say the airline changes your schedule. Simply put, this is called a "schedule change." Airlines will do these millions of times a year for any number of a million reasons. Usually, the reasoning shapes up to be logistics and cost of operation. For example, if a flight is not selling very well, they may change it's schedule to fly only on Monday, Wednesday of Friday instead of seven days a week. All it takes it for your flight to be on Thursday and you're being inconvenienced. The only reason I'm not saying you're screwed there is because you are protected by something called "Rule 240." I'm not going to get much further into Rule 240 than this: It says that the airline must reaccomodate you, or refund you. This circumvents the non-refundable bullshit that the airline rules on your ticket. Rule 240 generally applies only to delays that are absolutely the airline's fault, such as mechanical delays. They do not apply to what the airlines call "force majeure" events: weather, strikes, "acts of God," or other occurrences that the airlines say they cannot control.

Read Rule 240: Don't Leave Home Without It!

What happens if the airline goes on strike? What happens if the hurricane causes my flight to be cancelled and my vacation ruined? What if I'm stuck at the airport? What if I missed my flight? The short answer: The airline will have a contingency plan in place. Calm down, call them, and your options will be made available to you. The long answer: You can panic and scream and rant and rave, but the airline will only be able to do so much for you. You are their customer and they want to retain you as a customer. If you can approach any situation with that demeanor but keep it calm, cool and collected, you will be reaccommodated with little to no effort. If you go up to the ticket counter cussing and swearing, your ass will be thrown out of the terminal (possibly even airport jail) and you will be blacklisted. You will never fly in United States airspace again, and the FBI will open a file on you. All it takes is an airline employee to nod at an airport security guard.

TO SUMMARIZE:

1) Read the rules. Read the rules. Read the rules. Read the rules. Read the rules.
    2) Talk to the big-ass website before you book, ask them what their fees for changes or voids are.
    3) Don't expect to be able to change your flight for free. Firm up your plans BEFOREHAND, that way you won't have to change.
    4) Call the airline 24 hours before your flight and make sure the flight times and flight numbers that you have are correct. This will make you aware of any last-minute schedule changes, if any.
    5) The airline will help you as long as you don't make an ass of yourself. Be firm but keep the hostility canned.

Buying an airline ticket and flying on it is not a hard thing to do. As long as you're organized in your research and purchase, you'll save yourself problems.

I've tried to leave some of my personal opinions and grievances out of this essay - if I failed to do so in any way, I apologize. The monetary figures used are based primarily on tickets of a domestic nature rather than international, unless noted. What you read above is what I've learned in my experience and is as close to accurate as I am aware.
    Old 07-04-2005, 07:45 PM   #34
    OlivePoet
    Olive Gracie! <3

Shows Seen: 88

DMB Hub Stubs: 26

My Tour Central Stats

Curtis, you're cool.

I may need help on a Denver flight, but not until I find out if I get my Red Rocks tickets.
    I thought he was a good looking guy
    OlivePoet is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-04-2005, 09:17 PM   #35
    cj4258

My Tour Central Stats

I try.

Code:
    OPTION 1 - BOOKED ITIN                                         
    LOWER FARE AVAILABLE                 TOTAL AMOUNT    307.40 USD
    ADULT                                TAX INCLUDED
    1 UA  243  W   09SEP     ORDDEN   800A  933A  777  WE213QNX
    2 UA  532  V   12SEP     DENORD   600A  914A  320  VR7QNX

OPTION 2                             TOTAL AMOUNT    252.40 USD
    2 UA  944  W   12SEP     DENORD   900A 1227P  777  WE213QNX

OPTION 3                             TOTAL AMOUNT    252.41 USD
    1 AA 1149  N   09SEP     ORDDEN   817A  955A  M80  N21AMZN
    2 AA  718  N   12SEP     DENORD   728A 1044A  M80  N21AMZN
    Option 2 on United is about the best you'll get. Plus, that route is flown by Boeing 777's - HUGE planes. Roomy.
    Old 07-04-2005, 10:38 PM   #36
    dmb_41_sd
    AbsolutelyPositively

Shows Seen: 28

DMB Hub Stubs: 14

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by cj4258
    I try.

Code:
    OPTION 1 - BOOKED ITIN                                         
    LOWER FARE AVAILABLE                 TOTAL AMOUNT    307.40 USD
    2 UA  532  V   12SEP     DENORD   600A  914A  320  VR7QNX

OPTION 2                             TOTAL AMOUNT    252.40 USD
    2 UA  944  W   12SEP     DENORD   900A 1227P  777  WE213QNX

OPTION 3                             TOTAL AMOUNT    252.41 USD
    1 AA 1149  N   09SEP     ORDDEN   817A  955A  M80  N21AMZN
    2 AA  718  N   12SEP     DENORD   728A 1044A  M80  N21AMZN
    Option 2 on United is about the best you'll get. Plus, that route is flown by Boeing 777's - HUGE planes. Roomy.
    I flew that route a couple years ago. Trip 7's are so nice! I may ask for some help after confirmations are issued as well. i have a friend in chicago who wants to come out.

(by the way, +1 for the the very informative post above)
    "So, while I am certainly grateful for the many things RCA has given us, I also like to take the lion's share of the credit for our popularity in America. And that's because we don't follow: In the career of this band, we've never followed the models of anyone else. And that's made it difficult for RCA to get us across to people. But it's been easy for us to get ourselves across, because we don't have to fit into a can."-DJM
    dmb_41_sd is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-04-2005, 11:43 PM   #37
    cj4258

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by dmb_41_sd
    I flew that route a couple years ago. Trip 7's are so nice! I may ask for some help after confirmations are issued as well. i have a friend in chicago who wants to come out.

(by the way, +1 for the the very informative post above)
    No problem, just PM the stuff to me when you need it.

Thanks for the rep!
    Old 07-05-2005, 10:52 AM   #38
    JanelleM
    Baseball & Beer

Shows Seen: 54

DMB Hub Stubs: 17

My Tour Central Stats

http://www.sidestep.com/air/
    Old 07-05-2005, 11:46 AM   #39
    OlivePoet
    Olive Gracie! <3

Shows Seen: 88

DMB Hub Stubs: 26

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    No problem, just PM the stuff to me when you need it.

Thanks for the rep!
    I had to +1 ya, too.

I'm not sure when I'll find out if I got any RR tickets, but as soon as that info comes around, I'll be contacting you.

I thought he was a good looking guy
    OlivePoet is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-05-2005, 11:55 AM   #40
    dmbcrazy4041
    Needle in the stack

Shows Seen: 8

My Tour Central Stats

www.site59.com is best for last minute prices, and its pretty damn cheap, plus you get a rental car or hotel, whichever you choose...
    dmbcrazy4041 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-05-2005, 06:44 PM   #41
    boiii
    drinking w/hemingway

DMB Hub Stubs: 8

My Tour Central Stats

curtis,

ever read any of edward hasbrouck's stuff.
    i went through his whole 'how to travel aroudn the wrold' before i flew aroudn the world, and can now say im an ace at airfare codes. and a master of getting around them. but yea, the airline industry is incredibly overly complicated for it's own good.

cheers to you. next time im flying out ill give you a buzz.

cheers.
    ken
    boiii is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-05-2005, 07:42 PM   #42
    cj4258

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by boiii
    curtis,

ever read any of edward hasbrouck's stuff.
    i went through his whole 'how to travel aroudn the wrold' before i flew aroudn the world, and can now say im an ace at airfare codes. and a master of getting around them. but yea, the airline industry is incredibly overly complicated for it's own good.

cheers to you. next time im flying out ill give you a buzz.

cheers.
    ken
    Never heard of him. I don't do a lot of travelling myself but I've learned all that I know from the fuckwads that screw themselves up and then find some reason to yell at me about it. It's quite entertaining sometimes, other times it's just plain sad.

Good for you, there should be more travelers like you in the world today. If I could only spread the knowledge that I've accumulated over the last two years in this industry, there would be a lot less pissed-off people in the world.

Complicated is an understatement.

Just let me know if you need anything.
    Old 07-05-2005, 07:53 PM   #43
    |UAY| |)(V)|3
    ship it

Shows Seen: 18

DMB Hub Stubs: 8

My Tour Central Stats

PM sent.
    Old 07-05-2005, 10:19 PM   #44
    cj4258

My Tour Central Stats

PM replied.

I'm off for the next two days, but if anyone is dying to book something, I'll try to make it into work.
    Old 02-22-2006, 03:48 PM   #45
    siserilla
    Madame Beef Curtain

Shows Seen: 15

My Tour Central Stats

Thought I'd top this. I need some help finding a cheap flight from Albany to Chicago March 17-19.

Then a flight from Albany, to either Orlando, FL or Jacksonville Florida on any weekend in April. Whatever will be the cheapest.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by OlivePoet View Post
    :thumbsup If I don't get it in the ass on Saturday night, my relationship is over.
    Quote:
    I think I'll be on my rag for my birthday, so anal would be the best route.
    siserilla is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 02-22-2006, 05:17 PM   #46
    xxdmbxx250
    Je suis une fille!

Shows Seen: 1

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by siserilla
    Thought I'd top this. I need some help finding a cheap flight from Albany to Chicago March 17-19.

Then a flight from Albany, to either Orlando, FL or Jacksonville Florida on any weekend in April. Whatever will be the cheapest.
    To answer your first question:
    ALB-->Chicago, ORD through travelocity on United ($193+ taxes and fees) $212

ALB--->Chicago, MDW through soutwest.com on Southwest flat $200. This flight is 7am out of ALB.

ALB--> Chicago, ORD through United on united.com $207.40

Those are the cheapest I can find.

To answer your second question (southwest.com prices without fees):
    April 7-9

ALB--> JAX through travelocity $294
    ALB--> JAX through southwest.com $220
    ALB--> ORL through travelocity $295
    ALB--> MCO through southwest.com $170

April 14-16

Rediculously expensive to fly this weekend. I think because it is Easter.

April 21-23

ALB--> MCO through southwest.com as low as $150

April 28-30

ALB--> JAX through southwest.com $137
    ALB--> MCO through southwest.com as a promotion $130

Take your pick Good luck!
    xxdmbxx250 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 02-22-2006, 05:34 PM   #47
    Bswartz95
    :bark

Shows Seen: 122

DMB Hub Stubs: 28

My Tour Central Stats

www.sidestep.com (checks thousands of websites; basically a search engine for airline tickets)

I also like priceline and I get the DING! alerts from Southwest.
    Bswartz95 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 02-22-2006, 05:44 PM   #48
    siserilla
    Madame Beef Curtain

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by xxdmbxx250

April 28-30

ALB--> JAX through southwest.com $137
    ALB--> MCO through southwest.com as a promotion $130

Take your pick Good luck!
    I couldn't find this one. I looked at the Orlando flight and 130 dollars was only one way......was that what you looked at?

Quote:
    :thumbsup If I don't get it in the ass on Saturday night, my relationship is over.
    Quote:
    Old 02-22-2006, 06:31 PM   #49
    chevman
    [Logic will save us]

Shows Seen: 3

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    On that subject - name changes or "Ticket Transferrance" is largely not possible and illegal nowadays. You can thank our terrorist friends and the uppity nature of the Federal Aviation Adminitration (FAA) for that one. The mandate went into place about the same time as the Patriot Act. I get calls from customers all the time saying that Jimbob can't afford to go so they want to take Imogene instead. It's just not possible people. This is all I can do for a name change: If someone's name is mispelled by one letter, a call to the airline can be made, and an agent can tell you it should not be a problem. Ultimately, the decision is made by TSA (airport security) as to whether or not you board in that situation. If the name is mispelled to the point where it's just WRONG (i. e. more than two-three letters gone/out of place), a new ticket may have to be purchased, but we can try to play on the airline's sympathies. Fees come back into play there.
    This past weekend my wife and I had to go somewhere quick. She booked the tickets and fucked up my name royally (I think autofill on the computer contributed). Basically it wasn't even my name any more.

When we got to the airport I went up to the desk agent (this was on Northwest) and explained the situation. They reissued the ticket in about 3 minutes, no charge, no security hassel.
    chevman is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 02-22-2006, 08:29 PM   #50
    xxdmbxx250
    Je suis une fille!

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by siserilla
    I couldn't find this one. I looked at the Orlando flight and 130 dollars was only one way......was that what you looked at?
    Oh noes, I didn't realize that! Totally my fault. When I recalculate ALB--> MCO, it acutally is $297 because it is really expensive to fly back on Sunday. The ALB--> JAX flight is $313. Man I tried to help and I left ya in the dust. I guess it is high season to fly in April. If you can leave Thurs. you can pay $240 for a flight on Southwest from ALB-->MCO. Which is pretty cheap considering the big travel search engines are saying $300+ for flights from Albany to Orlando. I am looking on continental.com- ALB-->MCO/ORL from $412. Southwest seems like your best bet unless you use priceline.
    Old 02-23-2006, 08:16 AM   #51
    siserilla
    Madame Beef Curtain

My Tour Central Stats

Thanks anyway

Does anyone else know of any independent airlines? I know Allegiant, Jet Blue and Spirit. They all have some pretty decent prices. Are there any other ones around?

Quote:
    Quote:
    Old 02-23-2006, 08:18 AM   #52
    Bswartz95
    :bark

Shows Seen: 122

DMB Hub Stubs: 28

My Tour Central Stats

Check www.airtran.com
    Bswartz95 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 02-23-2006, 04:46 PM   #53
    xxdmbxx250
    Je suis une fille!

My Tour Central Stats

AirTran, Spirit and JetBlue DO NOT fly out of Albany, I checked that out already when I did that whole thing last night. :\
    Old 02-23-2006, 06:45 PM   #54
    BNA_DMB

Shows Seen: 0

DMB Hub Stubs: 1

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by shoegal_97
    I just go to southwest.com Their flights seem to be pretty cheap
    And if the US would lift that stupid Wright Amendment to all states - SW would be cool It's a Dallas thing though.

Priceline is pretty cool - as long as you have some flexability in your travel schedule.

Another thing is the 21 day advance fair works pretty good for most airlines.

Last edited by BNA_DMB; 02-23-2006 at 06:48 PM.
    BNA_DMB is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 02-23-2006, 07:56 PM   #55
    pkpro1
    proud jetta owner

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by OlivePoet
    I'm sure there are plenty of people here who have had to book a flight or two in their time.

In your experience, where is the best place to find a flight deal?

People always sing the praises of expedia, orbitz, travelocity, etc., but I've found that going straight to the airline website saves a few bucks more. Is there anything else I'm missing that could cheapen the cost for me?
    travelocity is the best of those online vendors in my experience. it also helps to be friends with travel agents

also, a lot of corporations have travel people who can help you. if you work at a big company, try look for someone who can lend a hand.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Nick@Night View Post
    Huge nipples, Tom Brady, skanky bitches suck

End of Thread
    pkpro1 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 02-11-2008, 02:10 PM   #56
    dreamingtreeIU

Shows Seen: 35

DMB Hub Stubs: 11

My Tour Central Stats

anyone know any good sites now a days? looking for cheap flight to seattle possibly
    Old 02-11-2008, 04:44 PM   #57
    siserilla
    Madame Beef Curtain

My Tour Central Stats

i always check www.sidestep.com or www.kayak.com or www.farecompare.com

Quote:
    Quote:
    Old 02-11-2008, 04:47 PM   #58
    sunshower
    wanderlust

Shows Seen: 23

DMB Hub Stubs: 15

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by siserilla View Post
    End of thread. That's the best one right there.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Beefsteak1138 View Post
    Meatball is an asshole by association.
    sunshower is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 02-11-2008, 04:51 PM   #59
    DrinkNoH2O
    I drink & I know things

DMB Hub Stubs: 6

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by sunshower View Post
    End of thread. That's the best one right there.
    correct answer. you can go ahead and lock this one, no further discussion needed.
    Old 02-11-2008, 05:03 PM   #60
    TempHelpNeeded
    Green Hat Guy

Shows Seen: 48

DMB Hub Stubs: 18

My Tour Central Stats

great sites! holy shit i am finding better deals than ever before!

TempHelpNeeded is offline   Reply With Quote