**Official Running Thread** - Page 7 - Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion

Go Back   Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion > General Discussion > nDMBc Discussion
Register Rules Community Top Lists Torrents AM.org

Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here

Old 04-23-2008, 03:50 PM   #181
whodat
CA Dreamin'

Shows Seen: 68

DMB Hub Stubs: 20

My Tour Central Stats

Re: **Official Running Thread**

I knew it was something with the leg. Glad it is better. I am dealing with my own leg issues right now and I am not enjoying it. I would hate to train for this long, only to miss my marathon because of an injury. I have taken some time off, and like you, I hope that is what the dr. ordered.

Keep doing those leg workouts. I stopped doing mine and I have a feeling that is why I got injured. I was doing more miles then my quads and knees were strengthened to handle, thus the injury.

Good job and glad hear to that the ol' hip is feeling better.

• Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here
  • Old 04-23-2008, 04:12 PM   #182
    dmbmuskie
    FIN

Shows Seen: 50

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by whodat View Post
    I knew it was something with the leg. Glad it is better. I am dealing with my own leg issues right now and I am not enjoying it. I would hate to train for this long, only to miss my marathon because of an injury. I have taken some time off, and like you, I hope that is what the dr. ordered.

Keep doing those leg workouts. I stopped doing mine and I have a feeling that is why I got injured. I was doing more miles then my quads and knees were strengthened to handle, thus the injury.

Good job and glad hear to that the ol' hip is feeling better.
    Running just beats the shit out of your body. I learned to scale back my running a couple of years ago by doing other types of cardio, and I all my little nagging injuries went away. I was running 3 days a week max, but I kept getting faster and able to to go longer. If I don't get wiped out playing softball last summer I think I would still be healthy.

Best of luck to you during rest and rehab.
    dmbmuskie is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 04-23-2008, 04:45 PM   #183
    siserilla
    Madame Beef Curtain

Shows Seen: 15

DMB Hub Stubs: 7

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by il bacio dolce View Post
    I would LOVE to know how many people who NEVER run can just decide to get out one day and run for ten minutes "just to start out slow" and not want to die, if not while they're doing it, the next day. I never run, which is why when I do try to run I feel like I'm gonna die in about two minutes. I'm active, I walk around all day, I'm not UNhealthy. But I seriously don't think you can just go from no running to running for ten minutes.
    Quote:
    You are correct. Going from nothing to 10 minutes is the quick way to ending your running adventure. Start slow, build up, be smart, and find out works best for you. If you feel like pushing one day, but not the next, that is fine. Find a pace and have fun.

In the new issue of Runners World, they had what I thought was a great new runners/beginners workout plan. If I find the link on their website I will post it.
    yes you can. i'm on day 3 of running 10 minutes a day. i haven't exercised in months. you just have to have the mental capacity to push yourself. you have to realize that it isn't going to easy. go at a slow pace too. run at a pace where you could probably walk faster than your running pace. trust me on this one.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by OlivePoet View Post
    :thumbsup If I don't get it in the ass on Saturday night, my relationship is over.
    Quote:
    I think I'll be on my rag for my birthday, so anal would be the best route.

Last edited by siserilla; 04-23-2008 at 04:46 PM.
    siserilla is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 04-23-2008, 04:53 PM   #184
    whodat
    CA Dreamin'

Shows Seen: 68

My Tour Central Stats

If you stick to time, and not worry about distance in those 10 min., then yes you could do it. The key is, as you noted, is pace. Stay within a zone, challenging yourself, but not pushing so hard that you could get hurt. Speaking from experience, if you push to hard to early, you will get hurt. Coming back from injury is a pain in whatever hurts.
    Old 04-23-2008, 05:10 PM   #185
    il bacio dolce
    yo no se manana

Shows Seen: 0

DMB Hub Stubs: 2

My Tour Central Stats

It's not a mental capacity thing when I run for less than half that time and I'm sore for three days during which I can hardly walk much less run. I don't full-out run or anything, but I pick my feet up, I'm not one of those joggers you see who kinda shuffle along barely picking up their feet. That's not running.
    Old 04-23-2008, 05:12 PM   #186
    Mike_Karp
    We Shall See

Shows Seen: 21

DMB Hub Stubs: 8

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by phlaming lips View Post
    I quit smoking after 13 years on March 3rd and started training for a half-marathon the following day. Good luck with the quit and running. It has really helped me be motivated to continue the run. I started out with 30 minutes a day, 3 days a week running on a treadmill, until I could get outside. I'm following a half-marathon training schedule, but I would say don't run less than 2 miles at a time. 3 should be a challenge and a good place to pace yourself. That first mile is always a b***h anyways, so you have to do more than one.
    I don't mind running on a treadmill, the issue is that my knees are shot, from playing catcher in baseball for ten years, and also I am about 300 right now, so that is a great concern to me. I don't want to get discouraged b/c I am really trying to drop down to a liveable weight again. I have good running shoes (Saucony's). Would running on the eliptical which is less strain on my knee be better? If so, how long would people recommend. Are wind sprints good for building endurance as well? Is it also o.k. if I have to stop and walk for a bit on whatever cardio machine I am on? I don't think I am capable right now of running at a good pace for 30 mins without stopping (pathetic I know , I am ashamed I have become so out of shape).

Also, are their exercises that would strengthen my legs, w/o putting too much strain on my knees? They do not necesssarily need to be leg lifts or w/e, but something that I could do in my apartment or home area that would increase my leg calf/hammy strength/any other part of my legs that would help me support my current weight + strengthen my legs?
    Old 04-23-2008, 05:14 PM   #187
    dmbmuskie
    FIN

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    It's not a mental capacity thing when I run for less than half that time and I'm sore for three days during which I can hardly walk much less run. I don't full-out run or anything, but I pick my feet up, I'm not one of those joggers you see who kinda shuffle along barely picking up their feet. That's not running.
    You're not strong enough to handle the beating it gives your body. That's the root of most running injuries. You need to strenghten your core and lower body, so their is less stress on your joints.
    Old 04-23-2008, 05:17 PM   #188
    il bacio dolce
    yo no se manana

Shows Seen: 0

DMB Hub Stubs: 2

My Tour Central Stats

You're probably right, Jason. Plus I run on pavement.
    But there's no way I'd buy a treadmill to run on in my house when there are roads I can run on for free right outside my door. That seems like a waste of money.
    Old 04-23-2008, 05:17 PM   #189
    dmbmuskie
    FIN

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mike_Karp View Post
    I don't mind running on a treadmill, the issue is that my knees are shot, from playing catcher in baseball for ten years, and also I am about 300 right now, so that is a great concern to me. I don't want to get discouraged b/c I am really trying to drop down to a liveable weight again. I have good running shoes (Saucony's). Would running on the eliptical which is less strain on my knee be better? If so, how long would people recommend. Are wind sprints good for building endurance as well? Is it also o.k. if I have to stop and walk for a bit on whatever cardio machine I am on? I don't think I am capable right now of running at a good pace for 30 mins without stopping (pathetic I know , I am ashamed I have become so out of shape).

Also, are their exercises that would strengthen my legs, w/o putting too much strain on my knees? They do not necesssarily need to be leg lifts or w/e, but something that I could do in my apartment or home area that would increase my leg calf/hammy strength/any other part of my legs that would help me support my current weight + strengthen my legs?
    You can do some good shit on a stability ball. I guess what you can do is determined by how bad your knees really are.

Running isn't the best way to lose weight, if that's what you are looking to do. You are going to lose more weight doing wind sprints and lifting than just running.
    Old 04-23-2008, 05:24 PM   #190
    Mike_Karp
    We Shall See

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by dmbmuskie View Post
    You can do some good shit on a stability ball. I guess what you can do is determined by how bad your knees really are.

Running isn't the best way to lose weight, if that's what you are looking to do. You are going to lose more weight doing wind sprints and lifting than just running.
    I am not only trying to lose weight, but get into shape. I also feel that if I can mix things up vis-a-vis weight lifting on monday, running on tuesday, lifting on wednesday, doing sprints and other strength building exercises on thursday (Just an example) then I will not lose interest or feel like I am a lab rat on a running wheel (which happened this past summer, where I dropped 20 lbs. then lost my motivation b/c I hated just doing the lift/cardio every other day mixed in with other strengthening workouts. I am also going to start playing basketball again just to mix things up. I need variety in my workouts and I feel if I can start slow and build in outdoor running it will give me another work out option. Ya dig?
    Old 04-23-2008, 05:25 PM   #191
    dmbmuskie
    FIN

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    You're probably right, Jason. Plus I run on pavement.
    But there's no way I'd buy a treadmill to run on in my house when there are roads I can run on for free right outside my door. That seems like a waste of money.
    You can build leg strengh quick and never set foot in the gym. Body weight squats, lunges, etc work really well. Once you can do plenty of those you can move to some power moves and single leg work.

Running on pavement doesn't bother me, but I know some people hate it.

I hate the gym and treadmills, but my gym in Cincy has flat screens all over, windows floor to ceiling, and TVs in every piece of cardio. It's makes cardio a lot less boring.
    Old 04-23-2008, 05:25 PM   #192
    cryfreedom4136
    Top Uploader

Shows Seen: 17

DMB Hub Stubs: 10

My Tour Central Stats

Funny that this thread was topped today, I was going to do it anyways. So I worked my way up to 5.1 miles today, I am really suprised how short of a time it took me to get back into shape... I started drinking more water throughout the day and it has taken care of my side stitch problem. I get a pair of real running shoes last week which helped alot, before I was using trail running shoes

#2 uploader
    cryfreedom4136 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 04-23-2008, 05:27 PM   #193
    cryfreedom4136
    Top Uploader

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:

We picked up an elliptical, my wife uses it twice a week instead of the treadmill because it is easier on the joints. It will definately help you ease your joints into it, its very smooth

#2 uploader
    Old 04-23-2008, 05:28 PM   #194
    1eyed_jack
    since 1984

Shows Seen: 18

DMB Hub Stubs: 6

My Tour Central Stats

i don't really run but for the past few weeks i've been trying to job 3-4 miles about 4 times a week. nothing better than taking a job on a nice day
    1eyed_jack is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 04-23-2008, 05:29 PM   #195
    bennetts

Shows Seen: 9

DMB Hub Stubs: 5

My Tour Central Stats

I'm training for football and I run about 20 minutes a day (along with an intense hour of lifting with my team) and I end up around 2.6something miles.

Anyways, I have just decided I want to lose weight even though it may not be the best thing for playing O-line. So would the best idea to be trying to just run my fastest mile everyday (its around 6:30-45) and jump rope or just to go for 20 minutes of not as intense running?
    Old 04-23-2008, 05:29 PM   #196
    dmbmuskie
    FIN

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    I am not only trying to lose weight, but get into shape. I also feel that if I can mix things up vis-a-vis weight lifting on monday, running on tuesday, lifting on wednesday, doing sprints and other strength building exercises on thursday (Just an example) then I will not lose interest or feel like I am a lab rat on a running wheel (which happened this past summer, where I dropped 20 lbs. then lost my motivation b/c I hated just doing the lift/cardio every other day mixed in with other strengthening workouts. I am also going to start playing basketball again just to mix things up. I need variety in my workouts and I feel if I can start slow and build in outdoor running it will give me another work out option. Ya dig?
    Mixing it up is the way to go. That way your body never adapts and you don't plateau.

Something I really like to do is intervals on an eliptical. I'll go all out for 30 seconds, slow down for 60, and repeat until I cannot go any further.

I'm really doing a lot of supersets when lifting right now, so you get a cardio workout along with your resistance workout.
    Old 04-23-2008, 05:30 PM   #197
    Mike_Karp
    We Shall See

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by bennetts View Post
    I'm training for football and I run about 20 minutes a day (along with an intense hour of lifting with my team) and I end up around 2.6something miles.

Anyways, I have just decided I want to lose weight even though it may not be the best thing for playing O-line. So would the best idea to be trying to just run my fastest mile everyday (its around 6:30-45) and jump rope or just to go for 20 minutes of not as intense running?
    How long do you usually jump rope for? Do you feel it is beneficial? If so, why?
    Old 04-23-2008, 05:31 PM   #198
    cryfreedom4136
    Top Uploader

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:

If the goal is losing weight, I would think 20 or 30 minutes of less intense running would be better

EDIT: It doesn't always work though in the last 3 weeks I have been running 30-50 minutes everyday, but I have gained 7 pounds (but I dropped 3% on my percent body fat)

#2 uploader

Last edited by cryfreedom4136; 04-23-2008 at 05:32 PM.
    Old 04-23-2008, 05:32 PM   #199
    dmbmuskie
    FIN

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:

You should be running nothing but sprints and agility drills. You are never going to run more than 15 seconds in a football game, but you need to be able to go all out for 5 to 10 seconds 50 times without losing a step.
    Old 04-23-2008, 05:32 PM   #200
    Mike_Karp
    We Shall See

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Mixing it up is the way to go. That way your body never adapts and you don't plateau.

Something I really like to do is intervals on an eliptical. I'll go all out for 30 seconds, slow down for 60, and repeat until I cannot go any further.

I'm really doing a lot of supersets when lifting right now, so you get a cardio workout along with your resistance workout.

How long do you run in-between sets?
    Old 04-23-2008, 05:34 PM   #201
    bennetts

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    How long do you usually jump rope for? Do you feel it is beneficial? If so, why?
    Well my weight training coach told me that jump rope is key because it helps you have quick feet and it really strengthens the calves. Also it helps with your balance. All really important for O-Line.
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cryfreedom4136 View Post
    If the goal is losing weight, I would think 20 or 30 minutes of less intense running would be better
    K, thanks

edit: Yeah, my goal isn't really losing weight but to lose body fat.
    Old 04-23-2008, 05:35 PM   #202
    siserilla
    Madame Beef Curtain

Shows Seen: 15

DMB Hub Stubs: 7

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    If you stick to time, and not worry about distance in those 10 min., then yes you could do it. The key is, as you noted, is pace. Stay within a zone, challenging yourself, but not pushing so hard that you could get hurt. Speaking from experience, if you push to hard to early, you will get hurt. Coming back from injury is a pain in whatever hurts.
    Very true. My boyfriend is a very talented runner so I listen to everything he tells me. I have bad knees but he got me a great pair of running shoes so I haven't had any problems yet.

Quote:
    :thumbsup If I don't get it in the ass on Saturday night, my relationship is over.
    Quote:
    I think I'll be on my rag for my birthday, so anal would be the best route.
    siserilla is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 04-23-2008, 05:35 PM   #203
    cryfreedom4136
    Top Uploader

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Well my weight training coach told me that jump rope is key because it helps you have quick feet and it really strengthens the calves. Also it helps with your balance. All really important for O-Line.

K, thanks

That is a good point, it would probably strengthen your legs alot more than running, that would give you more push off the line probably

#2 uploader
    Old 04-23-2008, 05:37 PM   #204
    Mike_Karp
    We Shall See

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:

K, thanks

edit: Yeah, my goal isn't really losing weight but to lose body fat.
    How long do you usually jump rope for?
    Old 04-23-2008, 05:39 PM   #205
    dmbmuskie
    FIN

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    [/B]How long do you run in-between sets?
    Everyone has different terminology for what they do.

For me a superset is two lifts done back to back which work a different muscle group. It works really well on a cable tree. For example I'll do a cable arm execrxise, and follow it right up with a cable ab exercise.
    Old 04-23-2008, 05:39 PM   #206
    bennetts

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by cryfreedom4136 View Post
    That is a good point, it would probably strengthen your legs alot more than running, that would give you more push off the line probably
    Yeah. Honestly though, I have just decided that, even though it may sacrifice some in football, I would just rather have a better body and less fat. So I'm just gonna stick with running for 20 min. and then do some jump rope. I mean it can't see how it will hurt me to be in better shape, even if I lose some weight. Like last year, starting both offensive and d-line really wore me out by the end of games. So it will help that aspect and my all-around physical shape.
    Old 04-23-2008, 05:42 PM   #207
    bennetts

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    How long do you usually jump rope for?
    Well, after running for 20 minutes, I'm usually pretty exhausted. Consequently, I normally just go for two songs on my ipod...so not very long
    Old 04-23-2008, 05:43 PM   #208
    dmbmuskie
    FIN

My Tour Central Stats

Jumping rope isn't a good football exercise. I'd try boxing instead, because it's simulates more closely what you will be doing on the field.
    Old 04-23-2008, 05:46 PM   #209
    phlaming lips
    Read a f***ing book!

Shows Seen: 42

DMB Hub Stubs: 17

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    the important thing is that you want to do it. I started with 30 minutes of running(walking), which I really had to push myself. The first mile seems to always drag, and I always want to stop during the first. Knowing that now, I am more motivated to continue running. I think if you can mix it up as much as possible, you will find more success. I ride mountain bike 3 days a week. I run four days a week. The bike is obviously less impact on my joints. Basketball is a good break, are you interested in Cutthroat (Racquetball)?. That always seems to be a helluva a cardio workout and fun too. Swimming laps is another great activity, low impact again. Good luck in your endeavors. And drinking lots of water is helping my energy levels during the day as well as for the workouts.
    phlaming lips is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 04-23-2008, 05:47 PM   #210
    bennetts

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Jumping rope isn't a good football exercise. I'd try boxing instead, because it's simulates more closely what you will be doing on the field.
    I don't know though, our weight training coach swears by it and I know jump rope increases quickness and that is imperative to a good offensive or defensive lineman.

Shit though, boxing would be the shit.