Proof Of The New Theory: Unreleased Songs IS The Album - Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion

Go Back   Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion > General Discussion > DMBc Discussion > Away From The World

Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here

Old 02-08-2012, 12:37 AM   #1
vegeevore

Shows Seen: 48

DMB Hub Stubs: 18

My Tour Central Stats

Proof Of The New Theory: Unreleased Songs IS The Album

I have come to realize that there are now TONS of indications pointing toward the possibility that the new album is an album of unreleased songs in the DMB catalog. I think it would be interesting if we compiled a list of all of these tips and hints that could support this theory, looking back from this point in time. I definitely think topic of discussion warrants a new thread. Hear me out.

Allow me to start with some of the things that come to my mind (please correct me if any of these are factually incorrect):

* It is widely understood that the band did not enter the studio before January 2012. Based on the recent past, the preferred writing environment for DMB has been as a group in the studio (versus Dave writing entire DMB songs on his own in his house). Thus, it appears to be a safe assumption that very little new material was written before January 2012.

* Rashawn's new video indicates that ALL of the horn parts have been recorded, are finished, and were laid down in just 6 hours. The band entered the studio around 5 weeks ago. If we assume that they didn't write much material before January 2012, that gives them 5 weeks to be very far in the writing and recording process. Compare that to the Big Whiskey sessions, which lasted over multiple years. (video link: https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=3294899781819)

* Stefan and Lillywhite's activity on Twitter seem to indicate that the full band is not grinding it out 24/7 in the studio every day. Stefan seems to be out and about in the Seattle area quite a bit, and Lillywhite posted "no band in today... just me and the new tunes !!" on Jan 28. This jives with what Rashwan indicated in the video regarding the horn parts already being done.

* At this stage in their careers, DMB members are likely not going to want to put out subpar work. More so, Steve Lillywhite is not going to want to put out subpar work. This is not going to be another Everday, where it was recorded in half an hour, or something of the likes. It seems unlikely that they would write and record an entire album's worth of new material in such a short amount of time, given these points. However, recording an entire album's worth of new material in 5 weeks for a quality album sounds about right if you already have the songs written.

* At the end of the 2011 NYC Caravan, Dave commented that there will be new music next year. While Dave's words shouldn't be taken too literally because he is Dave, this does imply that he was expecting to return to play new material in the 2012 album year. While this could mean a lot of things, it does support the theory that an album would be released before the 2012 summer tour. It is impossible to release an album unless it has been recorded in full several months in advance.

* DMB is at a point in time where they have accumulated a great deal of quality unreleased songs. It would make sense at this point in their careers to release an album consisting of such songs. They have a wide selection to choose from. Why not bring back a quality producer and make a good album out of their written work? DMB also knows which of those songs are loved and more well received than others.

* DMB has toyed with and unearthed many of these unreleased songs in 2010 and in 2011. Think about it...Sugar Will, Idea Of You, Joyride, Kill The King, Break Free, Shotgun, Good Good Time, Sweet Up And Down, etc. were all played in 2010 and 2011. Even Granny received a ton of plays in 2012, relatively speaking.

Anybody else got anything to add to that to fuel this theory?
vegeevore is offline   Reply With Quote

• Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here
  • Old 02-08-2012, 01:17 AM   #2
    brobb

Shows Seen: 10

DMB Hub Stubs: 7

My Tour Central Stats

Re: Proof Of The New Theory: Unreleased Songs IS The Album

If the new album is merely a collection of old songs, I will be thoroughly disappointed.

Sometimes I walk there
    Sometimes, God knows, I take a bus there
    brobb is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 02-08-2012, 01:27 AM   #3
    mfietek
    CODMB

Shows Seen: 42

DMB Hub Stubs: 20

My Tour Central Stats

I think all of your facts are for the most part are correct. However, I think there has been work done on this album at some level before they got together in January which makes me think this will be almost all new music with the chance of a few road tested songs added. There was just way too much downtime last year for a group of creative people that have spent the last 20 years on the road to just sit around and not do something. We know from SL's tweets that he has been writting music from the time the last caravan ended. Wouldn't surprise me if Dave hasn't been writting music also. Of course just my opinion and based of zero facts.
    mfietek is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 02-08-2012, 01:48 AM   #4
    vegeevore

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by mfietek View Post
    I think all of your facts are for the most part are correct. However, I think there has been work done on this album at some level before they got together in January which makes me think this will be almost all new music with the chance of a few road tested songs added. There was just way too much downtime last year for a group of creative people that have spent the last 20 years on the road to just sit around and not do something. We know from SL's tweets that he has been writting music from the time the last caravan ended. Wouldn't surprise me if Dave hasn't been writting music also. Of course just my opinion and based of zero facts.
    It seems to me that based on the recent past, they primarily write songs in a studio setting together as a band, and when this happens, ants are well aware of it. Yes, Blackjack showed up randomly as a new song without a studio session being involved, but it's not too difficult to work on one new song across a tour.
    Old 02-08-2012, 01:48 AM   #5
    Foreverford05
    Let's go O's!

Shows Seen: 36

DMB Hub Stubs: 15

My Tour Central Stats

My own personal opinion is they had a rough draft of the songs going on the album and we just didn't know about it. By the time dave told everyone new music is coming out at the caravan, im sure many of the songs had at least a shell to work with. I don't think they went in the studio Jan 1st with blackjack and came out with a full album of new tunes.
    Foreverford05 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 02-08-2012, 05:19 AM   #6
    tallfire8
    But Dad Its Shark Week!

Shows Seen: 98

DMB Hub Stubs: 26

My Tour Central Stats

I thought that Blackjack originated in studio sessions from 2007...not 100% sure on that but I remember reading it somewhere.

EDIT: http://www.antsmarching.org/tour/Vie...hp?ShowID=4094 It was this studio sessions.

Last edited by tallfire8; 02-08-2012 at 05:21 AM.
    tallfire8 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 02-08-2012, 06:14 AM   #7
    v0taw

Shows Seen: 66

DMB Hub Stubs: 24

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by brobb View Post
    If the new album is merely a collection of old songs, I will be thoroughly disappointed.
    Having one tour of previously forgotten unreleased material played regularly would be pretty stellar IMO.

Let them put out new songs next year.

Sixty-Six Shows
    v0taw is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 02-08-2012, 06:23 AM   #8
    pele69

Shows Seen: 34

My Tour Central Stats

Anyone else remember DMB not touring last summer? News songs could have easily been written then.
    pele69 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 02-08-2012, 06:29 AM   #9
    sheldonlevene
    Mr. 1k

Shows Seen: 35

My Tour Central Stats

I don't think anything will be definitive "proof" until we get the tracklisting.
    sheldonlevene is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 02-08-2012, 07:20 AM   #10
    dmbfan4ever
    IamwhoiamwhoamI

Shows Seen: 89

DMB Hub Stubs: 26

My Tour Central Stats

None of this was convincing.
    Old 02-08-2012, 07:27 AM   #11
    richie2017

Shows Seen: 25

DMB Hub Stubs: 12

My Tour Central Stats

I said the same thing when I saw songs like Break Free and Kill the King make comebacks.

richie2017 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 02-08-2012, 07:46 AM   #12
    dmbboiler01
    Boiler Up!

Shows Seen: 57

DMB Hub Stubs: 22

My Tour Central Stats

He also tweeted this back in October 2008. "I think it's cool to have tunes that are only live. Maybe we could make an album called live not live. Not today though. I'm busy." I know it's a stretch, but it gives hope to the idea that he would consider doing what the OP is suggesting.
    dmbboiler01 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 02-08-2012, 07:55 AM   #13
    vegeevore

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by dmbboiler01 View Post
    He also tweeted this back in October 2008. "I think it's cool to have tunes that are only live. Maybe we could make an album called live not live. Not today though. I'm busy." I know it's a stretch, but it gives hope to the idea that he would consider doing what the OP is suggesting.
    good find. i forgot about that.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by dmbfan4ever View Post
    it's not convincing, but it does start to add up to start make sense if u look at it this way. do u really think that at this point in the existence of DMB, they are going to put out a full album of new songs after only 5 weeks of studio work?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by tallfire8 View Post
    I thought that Blackjack originated in studio sessions from 2007...not 100% sure on that but I remember reading it somewhere.

EDIT: http://www.antsmarching.org/tour/Vie...hp?ShowID=4094 It was this studio sessions.
    Yeah, that's right. Good find. That means they haven't written a song and toured with it in quite a while (minus Sweet).

Quote:
    Originally Posted by pele69 View Post
    Anyone else remember DMB not touring last summer? News songs could have easily been written then.
    The problem with this statement is that like I said, based on recent past, DMB writes songs collectively in a studio, and when that happens, people have known about it in almost every instance. When is the last time that they went into studio and we didn't know about it instantly?
    Old 02-08-2012, 08:00 AM   #14
    TMoore4075
    RIP LeRoi: 1961-2008

Shows Seen: 27

DMB Hub Stubs: 12

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by vegeevore View Post
    The problem with this statement is that like I said, based on recent past, DMB writes songs collectively in a studio, and when that happens, people have known about it in almost every instance. When is the last time that they went into studio and we didn't know about it instantly?
    I don't remember hearing about them in the studio in late 2007. I didn't hear anything until early 08 when they were in Seattle. If it was known and I just didn't hear about them being in Haunted Hallow in fall of 07 then please correct me.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by fonzz41 View Post
    I am so jealous of the coyotes right now.
    TMoore4075 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 02-08-2012, 08:03 AM   #15
    NeatFreakGeek

Shows Seen: 10

DMB Hub Stubs: 8

My Tour Central Stats

at this point in their careers, i don't see DMB bringing in Lillywhite just to produce a bunch of old songs (yes, I know that's what the first two albums were). There's enough other producer-types in DMB's orbit who can produce songs that have been tried and tested.

i still want to know what happened to the studio Sugar Will that was recorded in Vegas, shown on the Big Whisky documentary.
    NeatFreakGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 02-08-2012, 08:04 AM   #16
    s0628711

My Tour Central Stats

While I would prefer new tunes, I'd take an album of rehashed songs because we know their quality and would cause for better setlists IMO. With the new album, we just don't know what we might be getting.
    s0628711 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 02-08-2012, 08:08 AM   #17
    clive bixby

Shows Seen: 41

DMB Hub Stubs: 16

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by dmbfan4ever View Post
    agreed. i think this will be an all new album with 2 old songs at the very most
    clive bixby is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 02-08-2012, 08:10 AM   #18
    character111

Shows Seen: 0

DMB Hub Stubs: 1

My Tour Central Stats

I'm not familiar with a lot of these unreleased songs. I have heard Kill the King and I really like that one. I've always skipped Blackjack and those type of songs because of the bad reviews they've earned on this forum. So if those kind of songs are on the album... I don't know. Sounds like it would be an album full of songs that weren't good enough to be on Big Whiskey. An album of Big Whiskey reject songs. Maybe not a Big 3 level album, but definitely worthy of Bottom 3 status.
    character111 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 02-08-2012, 08:14 AM   #19
    Mateo2k

Shows Seen: 91

DMB Hub Stubs: 23

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by character111 View Post
    I've always skipped Blackjack and those type of songs because of the bad reviews they've earned on this forum.
    If you're into a band enough to be an active member on a forum dedicated to them, you should probably take the time to listen to songs and form your own opinion on them.
    Mateo2k is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 02-08-2012, 08:20 AM   #20
    bubba40

Shows Seen: 20

DMB Hub Stubs: 11

My Tour Central Stats

With the apparent speed with which they're working, I've got to think that at least parts of stuff we've heard before will be on the record.
    bubba40 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 02-08-2012, 08:20 AM   #21
    Funkhouser
    Truth Will Mess You Up

Shows Seen: 32

DMB Hub Stubs: 13

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mateo2k View Post
    If you're into a band enough to be an active member on a forum dedicated to them, you should probably take the time to listen to songs and form your own opinion on them.
    Yeah....I don't understand why you wouldn't...that may be one of the dumbest things I have ever heard. Why would you go by other peoples opinions. Form your own. You might love the songs.
    Funkhouser is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 02-08-2012, 08:21 AM   #22
    Funkhouser
    Truth Will Mess You Up

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by bubba40 View Post
    With the apparent speed with which they're working, I've got to think that at least parts of stuff we've heard before will be on the record.
    I hope that Hurricane song from D&T Vegas 09 shows up somehow....sounded beautiful
    Old 02-08-2012, 08:24 AM   #23
    DMBzilla
    tour.

Shows Seen: 193

DMB Hub Stubs: 36

My Tour Central Stats

It's important to remember that Dave had a ton of time off in 2011. He commented at Randall's that they hoped to be back with new songs in 2012, so it's certainly reasonable to assume that a good portion of that time involved writing music. Once Lillywhite got back into the picture (probably sometime around November if the D&T show in NYC was a sort of jumping off point for their reunion), I'm sure Dave went into writing mode so he could enter the studio in January with some new ideas ready to go.

I would be very surprised if there aren't any previously road tested songs on the new record (I'd put Shotgun and Blackjack as front runners), but I'm sure we'll get a handful of new tunes as well. That said, if the album looked something like this:

1. Intro
    2. Crazy Easy
    3. New Song
    4. New Song
    5. Sweet Up & Down
    6. Sugar Will
    7. New Song
    8. New Song
    9. Shotgun
    10. New Song
    11. New Song
    12. Blackjack

...I'd have no problem with it.
    DMBzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 02-08-2012, 08:26 AM   #24
    sheldonlevene
    Mr. 1k

Shows Seen: 35

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by DMBzilla View Post
    It's important to remember that Dave had a ton of time off in 2011. He commented at Randall's that they hoped to be back with new songs in 2012, so it's certainly reasonable to assume that a good portion of that time involved writing music. Once Lillywhite got back into the picture (probably sometime around November if the D&T show in NYC was a sort of jumping off point for their reunion), I'm sure Dave went into writing mode so he could enter the studio in January with some new ideas ready to go.

I would be very surprised if there aren't any previously road tested songs on the new record (I'd put Shotgun and Blackjack as front runners), but I'm sure we'll get a handful of new tunes as well. That said, if the album looked something like this:

1. Intro
    2. Crazy Easy
    3. New Song
    4. New Song
    5. Sweet Up & Down
    6. Sugar Will
    7. New Song
    8. New Song
    9. Shotgun
    10. New Song
    11. New Song
    12. Blackjack

I would. Track 12.

But I get your point.
    sheldonlevene is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 02-08-2012, 08:26 AM   #25
    Funkhouser
    Truth Will Mess You Up

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by DMBzilla View Post

1. Intro
    2. Crazy Easy
    3. New Song
    4. New Song
    5. Sweet Up & Down
    6. Sugar Will
    7. New Song
    8. New Song
    9. Shotgun
    10. New Song
    11. New Song
    12. Blackjack

Crazy Easy would be so bad ass with a little intro....would be a great way to start an album.
    Old 02-08-2012, 08:27 AM   #26
    s0628711

My Tour Central Stats

Me either. I'd sign for that. Stellar selection of old songs and enough new ones mixed in there.
    s0628711 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 02-08-2012, 08:32 AM   #27
    JohnK86
    Mr.Cool

My Tour Central Stats

Iīm going to guess that it is all new music. I donīt know why they would want to record old shit, with the exception of Black Jack.
    Old 02-08-2012, 08:42 AM   #28
    evino526

Shows Seen: 50

DMB Hub Stubs: 21

My Tour Central Stats

Don't they usually do a bonus cd with pre-order? The bonus cd could have some unreleased songs on it as well.

"Look, here are we...on this starry night staring into space and I must say...I feel as small as dust lying down here"
    evino526 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 02-08-2012, 08:43 AM   #29
    character111

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mateo2k View Post
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Drumlax15 View Post
    Yeah....I don't understand why you wouldn't...that may be one of the dumbest things I have ever heard. Why would you go by other peoples opinions. Form your own. You might love the songs.
    I don't know what's so hard to understand. Those songs are mostly only available on Live Trax albums. I don't buy every Live Trax album. I check out the reviews from other fans who are more familiar with the band's good music before investing in a CD. Most of the band's new material and recently-recorded Live Trax have been considered hit or miss, so I've passed on them. I use the search function and check out the polls and reviews that you all do on here. There are too many good shows available to spend a ton of money on mediocre ones, some people have to decide and can't buy everything the band releases.
    character111 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 02-08-2012, 08:46 AM   #30
    Funkhouser
    Truth Will Mess You Up

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by character111 View Post
    I don't know what's so hard to understand. Those songs are mostly only available on Live Trax albums. I don't buy every Live Trax album. I check out the reviews from other fans who are more familiar with the band's good music before investing in a CD. Most of the band's new material and recently-recorded Live Trax have been considered hit or miss, so I've passed on them. I use the search function and check out the polls and reviews that you all do on here. There are too many good shows available to spend a ton of money on mediocre ones, some people have to decide and can't buy everything the band releases.

dmbstream.com