Star Trek (2017 CBS Series) - Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion

Go Back   Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion > General Discussion > nDMBc Discussion

Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here

Old 02-09-2016, 10:54 AM   #1
chadizzy1
Rumor Curator

Shows Seen: 45

DMB Hub Stubs: 17

My Tour Central Stats

Star Trek (2017 CBS Series)

I don't think there was a thread made for this, but I was curious to hear other people's hopes for this show.

What we know so far:

Star Trek returning to the small screen:

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-11-0...n-2017/6907274

"The new series will air in the United States on CBS All Access from January 2017, but will be available largely behind the paywall on CBS's subscription channel, the broadcaster announced.
It will also be distributed concurrently for television and multiple platforms around the world by CBS Studios International.

The new series will blast off with a special preview on CBS and will then be available with all subsequent episodes on the network's digital subscription service, CBS All Access.

CBS said the new series was not related to the forthcoming Paramount Pictures film Star Trek Beyond, which is due out in mid-2016."

Brian Fuller to show run

http://comicbook.com/2016/02/09/bria...rek-tv-series/
chadizzy1 is offline   Reply With Quote

• Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here
  • Old 02-09-2016, 11:10 AM   #2
    hmich176
    SarcMark(TM)

Shows Seen: 13

DMB Hub Stubs: 8

My Tour Central Stats

Re: Star Trek (2017 CBS Series)

It would be nice if the series was set in the prime universe, not the JJverse.
    hmich176 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 02-09-2016, 11:13 AM   #3
    jrkarger

Shows Seen: 55

DMB Hub Stubs: 22

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by hmich176 View Post
    It would be nice if the series was set in the prime universe, not the JJverse.

This. If it's the prime universe, I wonder what time period.
    Old 02-09-2016, 11:14 AM   #4
    hmich176
    SarcMark(TM)

My Tour Central Stats

Good question, but I'm encouraged by the news that Bryan Fuller will be the showrunner. So I'm hoping for post-DS9/Voyager/Nemesis.

Last edited by hmich176; 02-09-2016 at 11:15 AM.
    Old 02-09-2016, 11:40 AM   #5
    TMoore4075
    RIP LeRoi: 1961-2008

Shows Seen: 27

DMB Hub Stubs: 12

My Tour Central Stats

Something I read when it was first announced was under the impression it was not the JJ universe.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by fonzz41 View Post
    I am so jealous of the coyotes right now.
    TMoore4075 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 02-09-2016, 12:09 PM   #6
    jrkarger

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by hmich176 View Post
    Good question, but I'm encouraged by the news that Bryan Fuller will be the showrunner. So I'm hoping for post-DS9/Voyager/Nemesis.
    Me too. I'd love to see a series centered around Section 31; darker and edgier. While not Section 31 centric, one of the best episodes ever is DS9's In the Pale Moonlight.

Although, I posted in one of the other Star Trek threads that a great idea would be to convince John Cho to play Sulu in the prime universe and do an Excelsior series set after Undiscovered Country and before TNG.

Last edited by jrkarger; 02-09-2016 at 12:11 PM.
    jrkarger is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 02-09-2016, 01:02 PM   #7
    chadizzy1
    Rumor Curator

My Tour Central Stats

I read that CBS owns the prime universe and Paramount has the movie rights, so I assume the show will be set in the prime universe and not the movie universe.

A few months ago I had read an article to that effect but I can't recall where the article was published.
    Old 04-14-2016, 08:23 AM   #8
    chadizzy1
    Rumor Curator

My Tour Central Stats

http://spinoff.comicbookresources.co...vered-country/

This sounds promising.

"According to Birth.Movies.Death, the series will be set sometime after the events of 1991’s “Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country,” the last film in the franchise to feature the entire original cast. A “trusted source” tells the site that the show will employ the increasingly popular seasonal-anthology format, similar to, say, “American Horror Story.”

That presumably means later seasons could inch closer to the 24th-century setting of “Star Trek: The Next Generation,” “Deep Space Nine” and “Voyager.” It also means, of course, that the series won’t take place in J.J. Abrams’ rebooted movie universe."
    Old 04-14-2016, 08:47 AM   #9
    jrkarger

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by jrkarger View Post
    Although, I posted in one of the other Star Trek threads that a great idea would be to convince John Cho to play Sulu in the prime universe and do an Excelsior series set after Undiscovered Country and before TNG.
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by chadizzy1 View Post
    http://spinoff.comicbookresources.co...vered-country/

This sounds promising.

"According to Birth.Movies.Death, the series will be set sometime after the events of 1991’s “Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country,” the last film in the franchise to feature the entire original cast. A “trusted source” tells the site that the show will employ the increasingly popular seasonal-anthology format, similar to, say, “American Horror Story.”

That presumably means later seasons could inch closer to the 24th-century setting of “Star Trek: The Next Generation,” “Deep Space Nine” and “Voyager.” It also means, of course, that the series won’t take place in J.J. Abrams’ rebooted movie universe."
    Sounds like someone at CBS reads ants.

I'm totally on board with this. There is a lot of potentially good material in that era. Plus it will be great to potentially see movie-era constitution and excelsior class starships get HD treatment.
    Old 07-23-2016, 03:30 PM   #10
    chadizzy1
    Rumor Curator

My Tour Central Stats

http://www.comicbookresources.com/ar...easer-released

Title and teaser released
    Old 07-25-2016, 11:20 AM   #11
    jrkarger

My Tour Central Stats

Came here to post that new trailer. I dig the name.

The design of the ship looks similar to the scrapped Star Trek: Phase 2 ship:

http://cinetropolis.net/wp-content/u...terprise15.png

I also noted the Discovery's low registry number. Might give some better insight to time period. Has it been confirmed this series takes places after TUC and before TNG?

Although, I'll say I hope the teaser is just a teaser. That CGI looked painfully amateurish; like a youtube fan movie.

Last edited by jrkarger; 07-25-2016 at 11:21 AM.
    Old 07-25-2016, 12:03 PM   #12
    chadizzy1
    Rumor Curator

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Came here to post that new trailer. I dig the name.

The design of the ship looks similar to the scrapped Star Trek: Phase 2 ship:

http://cinetropolis.net/wp-content/u...terprise15.png

I also noted the Discovery's low registry number. Might give some better insight to time period. Has it been confirmed this series takes places after TUC and before TNG?

Although, I'll say I hope the teaser is just a teaser. That CGI looked painfully amateurish; like a youtube fan movie.
    I noticed the low # too when I saw the trailer.

I read this:

http://io9.gizmodo.com/everything-th...tar-1784257704

"That does make is possible that this flatter, more angular design was prevalent in Starfleet during the time of the movies, and that maybe the ships seen in The Next Generation were older ships. Another option is that the design is a class of ships that was made during that period. Either way, this might support the rumor that the show will be set in the period after the Undiscovered Country and before The Next Generation.

This is further backed up by the fact that the Discovery is registered as NCC-1031. There’s no canonical reasoning behind the numbers, but the Enterprise is NCC-1701, the Defiant from Deep Space 9 is NX-74205 (“NX” denoting experimental or prototype ships), and Voyager from Voyager was NCC-74656. All the later ships have five numbers. The Discovery, with four like the Enterprise and without a letter like the later Enterprises, might be older. Assuming that Starfleet does the logical thing and numbers its ships in production order, the Discovery might even be older than the Enterprise.

As for the ship name, there was a starship Discovery in operation during The Next Generation. It had a tiny, tiny mention in the first season episode “Conspiracy.” It shows up in Starfleet’s files, where an order regarding the Discovery’s rendezvous and personnel transfers with other ships is read by Data.

Since Star Trek: Discovery does take place in the prime universe, that means it shares continuity with that episode. It’s likely not the same ship, but if this show is set before The Next Generation, it’s nice to know that it still has a namesake in the 24th century."
    Old 07-25-2016, 12:11 PM   #13
    jrkarger

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    I noticed the low # too when I saw the trailer.

I read this:

http://io9.gizmodo.com/everything-th...tar-1784257704
    I read that article too.

I'll say too, that Conspiracy is a grossly underrated TNG episode. It's solid from start to finish, IMO.
    Old 07-26-2016, 06:29 AM   #14
    Lcsulla
    Black Hawks Matter

Shows Seen: 54

DMB Hub Stubs: 19

My Tour Central Stats

I wish they'd bridge the gap between Enterprise and TOS, be cool to see the establishment of the federation in more than a holodeck recreation and they could pack it full of action by showing the earth/Romulan war.
    Old 07-26-2016, 07:10 AM   #15
    TMoore4075

My Tour Central Stats

So I haven't been able to find this anywhere. The only way you can watch this is paying for the CBS service? After it airs, or releases I should say, it won't be available on CBS's app for free like they do with the shows that air on regular tv?

Quote:
    Old 07-26-2016, 08:37 AM   #16
    jrkarger

My Tour Central Stats

I'm really going to out-nerd myself here, but so what....

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Lcsulla View Post
    I wish they'd bridge the gap between Enterprise and TOS, be cool to see the establishment of the federation in more than a holodeck recreation and they could pack it full of action by showing the earth/Romulan war.
    I've watched the teaser about 4-5 times now and despite the rumor that this series is going be set post TUC I am thinking it is indeed set after Enterprise but before TOS. I think this for a few reasons:

1. Low registry number. Discovery's 1031 is really low considering TOS Enterprise is 1701. Yes I acknowledge that the Constellation from the TOS episode Doomsday Machine had a registry of 1017. If you break the fourth wall and realize episode notes indicate this was done for production purposes by cutting up an Enterprise decal, you can kind of throw out the Constellation when discussing continuity.

2. Ship design. The Discovery doesn't look like it was designed post TUC at all considering we know that the newest and best ship produced right after TUC was the Enterprise-B. Discovery looks very post Enterprise and pre TOS or even post TOS and pre TMP considering it's based of the failed Phase 2 design. It may be just me but it seem funny that this new crew is flying around in the post TUC era in a 70 year old beater when they could have an Enterprise-B comparable Cadillac.

3. Registry Font and Hull Color. The font of the ship's name and number look very Enterprise and TOS to me. You'll notice the hull of the movies and post TUC ships have more of a blue tone than gray/tan as did Enterprise and TOS. Also, the curve of the movies or post TUC ships' names don't match the Discovery. Plus the any ship post TOS had the red outline around the name and number. Discovery does not. Consider these pics:

Archer's Enterprise:

http://www.startrek.com/legacy_media...ew/320x240.jpg

TOS Enterprise

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com...2ea540958d.jpg

Now consider the font and look of the movies' ships and pre TNG ships:

Enterprise-A

http://vignette1.wikia.nocookie.net/...path-prefix=de

Excelsior

http://www.cygnus-x1.net/links/lcars...00-sheet-3.jpg

Enterprise-C

http://www.ex-astris-scientia.org/sc...1701c-mike.jpg

Speaking of the Romulan War, that's where I really think Enterprise dropped the ball. No one cared about that stupid temporal cold war or that Xindi non-sense. They had a treasure trove of canon material to explore like they did in the 4th season; including the Romulan War which they teased but never fully dove into. If they had started the series with the canon stuff and lead into the war, I bet the series would have lasted longer.

Wow, that was exhausting

/NerdRant

Quote:
    Originally Posted by TMoore4075 View Post
    So I haven't been able to find this anywhere. The only way you can watch this is paying for the CBS service? After it airs, or releases I should say, it won't be available on CBS's app for free like they do with the shows that air on regular tv?
    From what I've read, it seems like the pilot will are on normal CBS network TV but the rest of the episodes will be available of this pay service CBS is launching ala netflix or HBONow.

lame.

Last edited by jrkarger; 07-26-2016 at 08:39 AM.
    Old 07-26-2016, 09:17 AM   #17
    TMoore4075

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    From what I've read, it seems like the pilot will are on normal CBS network TV but the rest of the episodes will be available of this pay service CBS is launching ala netflix or HBONow.

lame.
    I'd be ok with it if they'd up the episodes on the free part of the app like a day or two later but then I'm sure people wouldn't pay for it if they could just wait a couple days. I just don't see how it's going to be worth the $ to me for one show probably. I guess we'll see.

Quote:
    Old 07-26-2016, 09:32 AM   #18
    jrkarger

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by TMoore4075 View Post
    I'd be ok with it if they'd up the episodes on the free part of the app like a day or two later but then I'm sure people wouldn't pay for it if they could just wait a couple days. I just don't see how it's going to be worth the $ to me for one show probably. I guess we'll see.
    I agree.
    Old 07-26-2016, 10:50 AM   #19
    Lcsulla
    Black Hawks Matter

Shows Seen: 54

DMB Hub Stubs: 19

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    I'm really going to out-nerd myself here, but so what....

I've watched the teaser about 4-5 times now and despite the rumor that this series is going be set post TUC I am thinking it is indeed set after Enterprise but before TOS. I think this for a few reasons:

1. Low registry number. Discovery's 1031 is really low considering TOS Enterprise is 1701. Yes I acknowledge that the Constellation from the TOS episode Doomsday Machine had a registry of 1017. If you break the fourth wall and realize episode notes indicate this was done for production purposes by cutting up an Enterprise decal, you can kind of throw out the Constellation when discussing continuity.

2. Ship design. The Discovery doesn't look like it was designed post TUC at all considering we know that the newest and best ship produced right after TUC was the Enterprise-B. Discovery looks very post Enterprise and pre TOS or even post TOS and pre TMP considering it's based of the failed Phase 2 design. It may be just me but it seem funny that this new crew is flying around in the post TUC era in a 70 year old beater when they could have an Enterprise-B comparable Cadillac.

3. Registry Font and Hull Color. The font of the ship's name and number look very Enterprise and TOS to me. You'll notice the hull of the movies and post TUC ships have more of a blue tone than gray/tan as did Enterprise and TOS. Also, the curve of the movies or post TUC ships' names don't match the Discovery. Plus the any ship post TOS had the red outline around the name and number. Discovery does not. Consider these pics:

Archer's Enterprise:

http://www.startrek.com/legacy_media...ew/320x240.jpg

TOS Enterprise

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com...2ea540958d.jpg

Now consider the font and look of the movies' ships and pre TNG ships:

Enterprise-A

http://vignette1.wikia.nocookie.net/...path-prefix=de

Excelsior

http://www.cygnus-x1.net/links/lcars...00-sheet-3.jpg

Enterprise-C

http://www.ex-astris-scientia.org/sc...1701c-mike.jpg

Speaking of the Romulan War, that's where I really think Enterprise dropped the ball. No one cared about that stupid temporal cold war or that Xindi non-sense. They had a treasure trove of canon material to explore like they did in the 4th season; including the Romulan War which they teased but never fully dove into. If they had started the series with the canon stuff and lead into the war, I bet the series would have lasted longer.

Wow, that was exhausting

/NerdRant

lame.
    Lame on getting people hooked on the first episode and then charging them to watch the rest!

I am the same geek when it comes to ST stuff.

Agreed on the problematic nature of Enterprise which I largely liked. The temporal cold war was pretty pointless IMO, ditto with the Xindi season. Largely I think they did good in seasons 1,2 and 4 but I wish they would have explored more of the Vulcan/Andorian conflict instead of the cold war. Also agree they should have shown the actual Romulan war.
    Old 08-11-2016, 05:16 AM   #20
    jrkarger

My Tour Central Stats

Lots of good stuff in this article from a presser with Fuller.

http://www.ew.com/article/2016/08/10...trek-tv-series

Two highlights...

Quote:
    Fuller on the premise: “There’s an incident and an event in Star Trek history that’s been talked about but never been explored. To do this series, we’re telling a much more serialized story, to dig deep into a very tantalizing storyline. And we have a character who’s on a journey, and in order to understand something that is alien, she first has to understand herself.” The event is something that was referenced in the original series, but not the Romulan War (“close,” he says) or Section 31 (but that could play a role) or Kirk wrestling with the Kobayashi Maru test. It’s only been referenced, never seen, he said.
    and...

Quote:
    The star won’t be the captain but rather be a lieutenant commander, “with caveats,” he said. “We’ve seen six series from the captain’s point of view; to see a character from a different perspective on the starship — one who has a different dynamic relationships with a captain, with subordinates, it gave us richer context.”
    Old 01-18-2017, 02:06 PM   #21
    jrkarger

My Tour Central Stats

http://ew.com/tv/2017/01/18/star-tre...premiere-date/
    Old 01-18-2017, 03:48 PM   #22
    OK_Ant
    Custom User Title

Shows Seen: 0

DMB Hub Stubs: 0

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:

Two highlights...

and...
    The second idea reminds me of that one Babylon 5 episode, "A View from the Gallery" where we see the episode from the point of view of two maintenance workers.
    OK_Ant is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-18-2017, 03:50 PM   #23
    defcon
    :rattled

Shows Seen: 14

DMB Hub Stubs: 6

My Tour Central Stats

Trekgasm.
    Old 01-18-2017, 04:53 PM   #24
    hmich176
    SarcMark(TM)

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:

With Fuller completely out, I don't know exactly how true this will stay.
    Old 01-18-2017, 05:06 PM   #25
    chadizzy1
    Rumor Curator

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    That's a bummer! I was excited about this one

Oh well, I can wait.
    Old 01-18-2017, 08:17 PM   #26
    hmich176
    SarcMark(TM)

My Tour Central Stats

Yeah I can wait it out, too. What's another bunch of months given it's been over 10 years since Enterprise ended?
    Old 01-19-2017, 05:39 AM   #27
    jrkarger

My Tour Central Stats

I can wait too. I agree, about Fuller's lack of involvement. Although, I'm glad we are finally getting back to the prime universe.
    Old 03-07-2017, 05:15 PM   #28
    chadizzy1
    Rumor Curator

My Tour Central Stats

"‘Star Trek: Discovery’ Finds Its Captain In Jason Isaacs"
    http://deadline.com/2017/03/star-tre...st-1202038246/

I had no idea who this guy is so I had to look him up. Wikipedia: "He is known for playing Lucius Malfoy in the Harry Potter films, Colonel William Tavington in The Patriot, and criminal Michael Caffee in the American television series Brotherhood.[3] In December 2016, he played the lead antagonist in the Netflix series The OA.[4]"
    Old 03-09-2017, 06:57 AM   #29
    jrkarger

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    "‘Star Trek: Discovery’ Finds Its Captain In Jason Isaacs"
    http://deadline.com/2017/03/star-tre...st-1202038246/

I had no idea who this guy is so I had to look him up. Wikipedia: "He is known for playing Lucius Malfoy in the Harry Potter films, Colonel William Tavington in The Patriot, and criminal Michael Caffee in the American television series Brotherhood.[3] In December 2016, he played the lead antagonist in the Netflix series The OA.[4]"
    Great choice for a captain. I'm pumped.
    Old 04-01-2017, 06:54 AM   #30
    chadizzy1
    Rumor Curator

My Tour Central Stats

This is an interesting pull.

Rainn Wilson is going to play Harry Mudd.
    http://www.startrek.com/article/rain...d-on-discovery

That's an interesting pull from TOS! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ag1EbxYKh_4

Last edited by chadizzy1; 04-01-2017 at 06:55 AM.