Career Satisfaction - Page 3 - Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion
Old 05-09-2017, 10:35 AM   #61
zajDmB1

Shows Seen: 44

DMB Hub Stubs: 17

My Tour Central Stats

Re: Career Satisfaction

I enjoy what I'm doing/will hopefully continue to do, but I'm not satisfied because I'm not at the level I want to be at. Want/need to be more successful for my mental well-being AND want/need to make more money .
zajDmB1 is offline   Reply With Quote

• Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here
  • Old 05-09-2017, 10:46 AM   #62
    Nick@Night
    Big Nick Energy

Shows Seen: 16

DMB Hub Stubs: 11

My Tour Central Stats

I'd say I'm marginally satisfied. Job is perfectly ok, been in it for almost two years, and it's my fourth different position in 12 years with the company. Super flexible (work from home 1-2 days a week), management is supportive and doesn't micromanage, low stress 90% of the time, never work more than 40 hours a week, and I make enough money to be comfortable. Only thing is I wish the day-to-day of it was more challenging and involved, but that's just because I need that to stay motivated. Because of that last aspect, in the near future I will seriously begin to look for opportunities to move up a level, where I hope to find that challenge and added satisfaction, along with the money to go with it.

Edit: I work in compliance and risk management.

Last edited by Nick@Night; 05-09-2017 at 10:47 AM.
    Nick@Night is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 05-09-2017, 10:47 AM   #63
    kydmb99
    Jorts

Shows Seen: 10

DMB Hub Stubs: 8

My Tour Central Stats

The desire to be financially secure vs. not being a slave to work/money is one of the most challenging things in life. Still trying to find that balance.
    kydmb99 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 05-09-2017, 10:50 AM   #64
    M. Steng
    Empowered & Informed.

Shows Seen: 21

DMB Hub Stubs: 14

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by kydmb99 View Post
    The desire to be financially secure vs. not being a slave to work/money is one of the most challenging things in life. Still trying to find that balance.
    Same, bro. I've got a tough 9-10 years coming up, as of right now it's going to take me another 8.5-9 years to pay off my student loans (down to about $150k now), and then in 9.5 years the PMI on our mortgage will be paid down (if we don't refinance before then- which we probably will).

I take a good look at my financials about once every 2 weeks, try to map stuff out based on my fixed numbers (income and expenses of car loan, student loan, and mortgage). I know I can always afford to pay everything and have some leftover, but the left over part is never as much as I'd like it to be . I'm up for a raise in July so I'm hoping I'll be rewarded for what I've thought has been a pretty solid past ~10 months.
    Old 05-09-2017, 10:54 AM   #65
    lockman21
    Yandle Award 2014-15

Shows Seen: 240

DMB Hub Stubs: 32

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Taylor36 View Post
    This is a great discussion, especially the question of working to live vs. living to work

I think the best case scenario is to enjoy 60% or more of your day-to-day work, and not look to success at work for identity or self-worth
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by scrock25 View Post
    Too many people in America maintain this mentality.
    I mean, I think there's a balance, right?

I don't see anything wrong with striving for success in your career and maintaining pride over the successes you have. Certainly there are people that take it too far, but someone who works hard to establish a career and is proud of what they accomplish? I don't see anything inherently wrong with that.

Now if you look down on other people because they chose to be something less financially lucrative, that's probably an issue...but we're speaking in generalities.

Ultimately, people position stuff like this in a way to feel superior one way or another. Whether it's feeling superior because they think they get more enjoyment out of life since they don't "live to work" or because they think their job makes them better than someone else without as much status...both aren't the best. I think different people chose different paths and find enjoyment in different ways. Sometimes that's in work, who's to say that's wrong?

Personally I agree with the above, that there needs to be a pretty good work/life balance, but I don't think there's anything wrong with identifying with the success you've had in your career.
    Old 05-09-2017, 10:59 AM   #66
    lockman21
    Yandle Award 2014-15

Shows Seen: 240

DMB Hub Stubs: 32

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rodey View Post

I'm definitely jealous of your job, despite not knowing exactly what it is you do. Looks like fun.
    Thanks dude, it's a cool gig. Headed to Amsterdam for a couple days over Memorial Day weekend. Should be a blast.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by kydmb99 View Post
    Yeah, I struggle with it often too. Not sure what that right balance is for myself yet.
    Old 05-09-2017, 11:00 AM   #67
    TheLastPig

Shows Seen: 57

DMB Hub Stubs: 22

My Tour Central Stats

I was lucky to land in the position im in now having not worked in the logistics field before. Love my commute, love office location, the people I work with are great and im learning alot about the industry.
    I worked for my family business before and was miserable and was severely underpaid. I got a really nice pay bump coming to this job but I still need to be making more as were trying to save for a house and I would like to have some more cash to travel, but I think im in a good spot and this will help leapfrog me forward in this career path in a few years down the road.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by aoeiifreak View Post
    You hit some nerves because some people rely on logic and facts.
    TheLastPig is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 05-09-2017, 11:00 AM   #68
    M. Steng
    Empowered & Informed.

Shows Seen: 21

My Tour Central Stats

@Lockman

Well stated. I like my job and want to do well at it, sometimes that involves working late or busting my ass to do a really good job. But I still like to have weekends off, have a few beers on a Thursday night, and enjoy my life. As long as my work gets done I can do whatever I want. Always viewed it that way, there's something to be said for some delayed gratification.
    Old 05-09-2017, 11:13 AM   #69
    MOWJO8185

Shows Seen: 9

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by lockman21 View Post
    I mean, I think there's a balance, right?

I don't see anything wrong with striving for success in your career and maintaining pride over the successes you have. Certainly there are people that take it too far, but someone who works hard to establish a career and is proud of what they accomplish? I don't see anything inherently wrong with that.

Now if you look down on other people because they chose to be something less financially lucrative, that's probably an issue...but we're speaking in generalities.

Ultimately, people position stuff like this in a way to feel superior one way or another. Whether it's feeling superior because they think they get more enjoyment out of life since they don't "live to work" or because they think their job makes them better than someone else without as much status...both aren't the best. I think different people chose different paths and find enjoyment in different ways. Sometimes that's in work, who's to say that's wrong?

Personally I agree with the above, that there needs to be a pretty good work/life balance, but I don't think there's anything wrong with identifying with the success you've had in your career.
    Very well said.
    MOWJO8185 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 05-09-2017, 11:26 AM   #70
    UNC41
    Gimme Dat

Shows Seen: 0

DMB Hub Stubs: 2

My Tour Central Stats

Striving for success in your career and being proud of it are both positive things. Defining yourself based on that success, however, is the work/life line that I refuse to cross.

Personally, my career satisfaction is really high right now. I've spent the past year and a half helping build a diabetes prevention startup into an industry leader. I work closely without our largest clients on marketing strategies that drive high rates of enrollment with our program. It has been incredibly rewarding to help thousands of people get started on their journey to making change that lead to a healthier life. The role I'm in right now isn't one that I'd like to be long-term, but I love the company and intent to be part of it for a long time.

You white, then you Ben Affleck.
    UNC41 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 05-09-2017, 11:40 AM   #71
    aeroshady
    Look up at the sky..

Shows Seen: 46

DMB Hub Stubs: 15

My Tour Central Stats

Just beginning my career as a Process Engineer. So I guess I will get back to you! Engineering is a career change from healthcare though. I am happy with that decision.
    Originally Posted by fonzz41 View Post
    This might be one of the single greatest solo posting performances in NHL Thread history. Well done, Greg, and congrats on the win. Was a fun game.
    aeroshady is online now   Reply With Quote
    Old 05-09-2017, 12:45 PM   #72
    UCFish
    Mr. Hospitality (Glow)

Shows Seen: 179

DMB Hub Stubs: 35

My Tour Central Stats

Love my job....have been in the industry for 13 years (Hotels) and in my specific job (Director of Revenue Management) which I plan to stay in forever for the last 7 years.
    Old 05-09-2017, 12:54 PM   #73
    brad1407

DMB Hub Stubs: 1

My Tour Central Stats

I've been a police office since 1995 and am very satisfied with my work. I think one of the blessings wth my job is that without ever changing where I work I've been able to experience different careers. I've been in patrol, community policing, internal affairs, and training. I'm currently back in patrol supervisor and a bomb technician. I get quite a bit of satisfaction from my work. I agree with what so many others have said about work life balance. I have had positions in the Dept. where I was miserable. When I was there I tried to make it work for a bit and when I realized it was somewhere I was going to remain unhappy I changed very quickly because of how my being unhappy at work carried over into my home live and affected things there. On top of that I got my masters in counseling/coaching because it's something I've always enjoyed so I do that in addition to my regular work. Overall I'm very happy and plan on staying right where I'm at until I retire. Making that big jump or staying out looks different for everyone. There are many factors in your life that play into your ability to leave a job. I'd say if your unhappy at work it will cause your home life to suffer so it's usually not worth staying somewhere you're miserable unless you know it's just a temporary situation that will improve.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    brad1407 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 05-09-2017, 12:55 PM   #74
    cry_minarets458
    MM#45 Wacco for Flacco

Location: Give me BETHEL or give me death.... death, death it is then

Shows Seen: 62

DMB Hub Stubs: 21

My Tour Central Stats

I'm looking at my current position as a stepping stone. Will probably be back in school for my MD in 3-4 years or so. Have to come up with a way to do it affordably. Had I felt this strongly about it, I would have just gone to med school from the get-go instead of becoming a PA...but I'm very thankful to experience the path in life I have and it's certainly made me a unique and valuable.
    *renounces DMB fandom*
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prime Minister
    In fairness Brian Wilson's Beard > Amy Winehouse & the grammys & spoot.
    cry_minarets458 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 05-09-2017, 01:22 PM   #75
    aeroshady
    Look up at the sky..

Shows Seen: 46

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by brad1407 View Post
    I've been a police office since 1995 and am very satisfied with my work. I think one of the blessings wth my job is that without ever changing where I work I've been able to experience different careers. I've been in patrol, community policing, internal affairs, and training. I'm currently back in patrol supervisor and a bomb technician. I get quite a bit of satisfaction from my work. I agree with what so many others have said about work life balance. I have had positions in the Dept. where I was miserable. When I was there I tried to make it work for a bit and when I realized it was somewhere I was going to remain unhappy I changed very quickly because of how my being unhappy at work carried over into my home live and affected things there. On top of that I got my masters in counseling/coaching because it's something I've always enjoyed so I do that in addition to my regular work. Overall I'm very happy and plan on staying right where I'm at until I retire. Making that big jump or staying out looks different for everyone. There are many factors in your life that play into your ability to leave a job. I'd say if your unhappy at work it will cause your home life to suffer so it's usually not worth staying somewhere you're miserable unless you know it's just a temporary situation that will improve.

Nice first post!
    Originally Posted by fonzz41 View Post
    This might be one of the single greatest solo posting performances in NHL Thread history. Well done, Greg, and congrats on the win. Was a fun game.
    aeroshady is online now   Reply With Quote
    Old 05-09-2017, 01:23 PM   #76
    brad1407

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by aeroshady View Post
    Nice first post!

Thanks

brad1407 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 05-09-2017, 01:28 PM   #77
    TheLastStop123
    paper hands

Shows Seen: 39

My Tour Central Stats

totally off-topic, but I feel like I just went back in time or something:
    Attached Images
    File Type: jpg Screen Shot 2017-05-09 at 4.19.35 PM.jpg (78.0 KB, 31 views)

Quote:
    Originally Posted by FromTheMorning View Post
    Antsmarching.org: Came for the DMBc, stayed for the nDMBc.
    TheLastStop123 is online now   Reply With Quote
    Old 05-09-2017, 02:01 PM   #78
    sheldonlevene
    Mr. 1k

Shows Seen: 35

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    PUT THAT COFFEE DOWN!

Coffee's for Closers only.
    My name has meaning now.
    sheldonlevene is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 05-09-2017, 03:20 PM   #79
    laura22

Shows Seen: 10

DMB Hub Stubs: 7

My Tour Central Stats

im a new occupational therapist. i like my job a lot and there are a bunch of different settings i can work in which is cool. good pay

currently work in a psych hospital. i like it a lot, every day is always interesting. it sometimes can be stressful. not over-worked type of stress, but fight-or-flight type of stress, like last week when a patient was legitimately homicidal towards me because i looked irish
    laura22 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 05-09-2017, 05:48 PM   #80
    Lee3691

Shows Seen: 129

DMB Hub Stubs: 30

My Tour Central Stats

Here's what I like about my job: 50% office / 50% field, everyday is different, I set most of my own schedule,including my travel (which allows me to double dip and do some other things), and of that I've helped reduce carbon emissions by the billions (in terms of CO2 in the environment) every year.
    Lee3691 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 05-09-2017, 07:43 PM   #81
    recentlyJTR41
    Boognish

Shows Seen: 12

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    PUT THAT COFFEE DOWN!

Coffee's for Closers only.
    Saw this scene for the first time ever Saturday night. Alec Baldwin was a real ass tbh.
    Old 05-10-2017, 04:28 AM   #82
    jnovo22

Shows Seen: 19

My Tour Central Stats

Web applications developer, freelance and have full time job at a company where I've been 7 out of the last 9 years (Worked 5, left for 2, back again for 2). Started off as a CSR, worked my way up to senior web developer. Love my job, love the environment, love the flexibility, and the seniority is nice. My career satisfaction is high.
    jnovo22 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 05-10-2017, 05:01 AM   #83
    FromTheMorning

Shows Seen: 29

DMB Hub Stubs: 13

My Tour Central Stats

Haven't really stayed in one career yet. Currently just doing customer support for a U.S.-based company in Australia. Not something I'd do for more than a year or two but it's not bad wages, the people are awesome, free lunch everyday, and overall I like the work/life balance in general here far more than the States. Looking to stay with this company in a different role.
    FromTheMorning is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 05-10-2017, 05:02 AM   #84
    SmoothG

My Tour Central Stats

Gave up my well paying sales job in 4/5 star hotels about a decade ago to be an esl teacher. Went from $70k to $10k a year and it's been great. Not a lot of money but I work about 20 hours a week and wear whatever I want to work. The quality of life is so much better. Don't want to do it forever, but for now it's perfect. Who knows how much longer I'll do this or what's next, but I could never go back to a 9-5 office job. I'd rather kill myself, no matter the money.
    SmoothG is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 05-10-2017, 05:04 AM   #85
    drop2d

Shows Seen: 32

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by SmoothG View Post
    Gave up my well paying sales job in 4/5 star hotels about a decade ago to be an esl teacher. Went from $70k to $10k a year and it's been great. Not a lot of money but I work about 20 hours a week and wear whatever I want to work. The quality of life is so much better. Don't want to do it forever, but for now it's perfect. Who knows how much longer I'll do this or what's next, but I could never go back to a 9-5 office job. I'd rather kill myself, no matter the money.
    I mean, this sounds great but how do you live on $10K a year?
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by drakan View Post
    Cuomo for president.
    drop2d is online now   Reply With Quote
    Old 05-10-2017, 05:22 AM   #86
    SmoothG

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by drop2d View Post
    I mean, this sounds great but how do you live on $10K a year?
    Well, I don't get to save a lot, but other than that it's pretty easy. I make about €1000/month and pay €250 in rent so the rest is disposable income. Health insurance is (mostly) covered, no phone bill (pay as I go, but just use wifi for WhatsApp and internet), no car. I'm single and have no debt and a little bit of savings. Cost of living here is ridiculously cheap. Free tapas with every beer/wine/soda at any restaurant. Alcohol, tobacco and drugs are cheap. Buses and transportation are dirt cheap. It's a good life. Not for everyone, but for me, for now, I can't imagine doing anything else.

All in all, the quality of life and work/life balance I have now is much better than anything I could get in North America. Someday I'll return to be closer to family, but not looking forward to that at all.
    Old 05-10-2017, 05:45 AM   #87
    drop2d

Shows Seen: 32

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by SmoothG View Post
    Well, I don't get to save a lot, but other than that it's pretty easy. I make about €1000/month and pay €250 in rent so the rest is disposable income. Health insurance is (mostly) covered, no phone bill (pay as I go, but just use wifi for WhatsApp and internet), no car. I'm single and have no debt and a little bit of savings. Cost of living here is ridiculously cheap. Free tapas with every beer/wine/soda at any restaurant. Alcohol, tobacco and drugs are cheap. Buses and transportation are dirt cheap. It's a good life. Not for everyone, but for me, for now, I can't imagine doing anything else.

All in all, the quality of life and work/life balance I have now is much better than anything I could get in North America. Someday I'll return to be closer to family, but not looking forward to that at all.
    Aaaaaaah... ok. It didn't immediately connect that you weren't in the US.
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by drakan View Post
    Cuomo for president.
    drop2d is online now   Reply With Quote
    Old 05-10-2017, 06:18 AM   #88
    SmoothG

My Tour Central Stats

Haha yeah, 10k in the us wouldn't do much.

One of the reasons I got out was because I hated the competition of it all. The constant competing and measuring yourself against friends, colleagues, neighbours, etc. Who makes more? Who just got a raise/promotion? Assigning self worthy/value to what job you have, how much you make. The constant battle to make more money and move up so you can buy more stuff to show (and tell) everyone how successful you are. I never found that appealing. I know that was very general and doesn't apply to everyone, just my experiences.
    Old 05-10-2017, 06:37 AM   #89
    Rodey
    Fiesta, Forever

Shows Seen: 16

DMB Hub Stubs: 10

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Lee3691 View Post
    Here's what I like about my job: 50% office / 50% field, everyday is different, I set most of my own schedule,including my travel (which allows me to double dip and do some other things), and of that I've helped reduce carbon emissions by the billions (in terms of CO2 in the environment) every year.
    Yeah, I think the thing I dislike about my job most is that it's a desk job. I'm almost certain that I will eventually need to transition to something that gets me out and about more.
    Old 05-10-2017, 07:25 AM   #90
    Timebomb07

Shows Seen: 48

DMB Hub Stubs: 19

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by MOWJO8185 View Post
    Yeah, honestly, my experience was that on paper there's every pretense of a cool workplace with a great work-life balance you could ask for (super flexible hours, ping pong and snacks, no managers really caring when you come and go, cool young people, etc.). But if you are at a big firm and rise high enough to be really valued by a specific client, then your job is basically as enjoyable as that client decides it should be. So if you have a cool client it can still be a great gig no matter how high you rise. If you have a terrible client, your life will be terrible, and your firm probably won't move you because you are in-demand from that your client specifically.
    I'm in marketing as well, Account Management. Got my first gig pretty much right out of school in 2013 at a smaller (~70 people) privately owned agency. The last 4 years has seen a ton of change - we were bought out, lost some big clients and generally, the place slowly began losing really good talent. I've weathered the storm and have begun to reap the benefits. I think I'm a pretty good employee, but seemingly my value has grown faster than I thought. Still think I'm underpaid by a good 10-15%, but it's hard to argue when I've seen 3 promotions/raises in the last 18 months.

That said, marketing isn't a full-fledged passion of mine. I certainly invest the time and effort, but I find myself thinking about how/when I could consider a new career. Just kind of scares me because I have no idea what I would want to do, and my current path has me moving in a very positive direction. Planning on moving in about a year, so maybe a change in scenery will help.

Very much agree, though... the clients you work on is everything. I've dealt with some real bullshit clients, but have also benefited from quality ones as well.
    Timebomb07 is offline   Reply With Quote