What (besides politics) irritates you? - Page 1044 - Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion

Go Back   Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion > General Discussion > nDMBc Discussion
Register Rules Community Top Lists Torrents AM.org

Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here

Old 07-11-2015, 01:26 PM   #31291
ExistenceNow
AM.org Moderator

Shows Seen: 117

DMB Hub Stubs: 30

My Tour Central Stats

Re: What irritates you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcc522 View Post
The question would be is racing a sport? Foot, horse, car, bicycle, camel, doesn't matter. If one is sport, they all are.

Disagree.

Foot racing requires more athletic movement than horse racing, but horse racing probably has more direct competition, and Nascar certainly has more direct competition but obviously less athleticism.

You can easily claim that cycling is a sport and that horse and car racing aren't.

• Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here
  • Old 07-11-2015, 01:48 PM   #31292
    space_raven
    crawling out the mud

Shows Seen: 14

DMB Hub Stubs: 6

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by bamadavefan15 View Post
    Chances are your buddy can't come close to what an actual PGA golfer can shoot on the same course as they play with the same tees and pin locations. Unless he is a near PGA tour player.

On the other hand, I only played HS baseball (albeit on a regularly nationally ranked team and had offers to JuCo) and hit off of plenty of guys throwing 90+.

I'm not saying golf is harder. But the comparison vs a pretty good average joe player is the same in both sports.

And lol at football catching. Some pro WRs have worse hands than I have. Although they can run sub 4.5 and can jump through the roof.
    My post was more of a generalization about how golf, bowling, and darts aren't real sports. More average Joes could succeed in those 3 vs the 4 major sports.

All the other stuff is relative.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by dmb9howell View Post
    No that's my bad. I am completely fucking murdered hammered. I can barley see the screen. I go eat now.
    space_raven is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-11-2015, 02:07 PM   #31293
    bamadavefan15

Shows Seen: 5

DMB Hub Stubs: 2

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by space_raven View Post
    My post was more of a generalization about how golf, bowling, and darts aren't real sports. More average Joes could succeed in those 3 vs the 4 major sports.

All the other stuff is relative.
    I just disagree about golf I guess.

If anything I'd say an average D1 player would have a better chance of hitting well on a major league team for a week than an average D1 golf player competing with PGA tour players on the courses and set ups they play on.
    bamadavefan15 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-11-2015, 02:08 PM   #31294
    daveshookme
    Altuve wore a wire

Shows Seen: 54

DMB Hub Stubs: 20

My Tour Central Stats

I know this guy named Bruce who can shoot pretty good golf. PGA quality he claims.
    Old 07-11-2015, 02:09 PM   #31295
    daveshookme
    Altuve wore a wire

My Tour Central Stats

Horse racing definitely a sport.
    Old 07-11-2015, 02:10 PM   #31296
    daveshookme
    Altuve wore a wire

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    So, do you think baseball is a sport?

Not to mention, hitting a round ball, traveling at 90+ mph, with a round bat, is probably 1 of the top 5 hardest things to do in all of sports.

One timer in hockey on a fast rush definitely harder. Not that what you said isn't top 5, but I'm just trying to think of what else would be in that 5.
    Old 07-11-2015, 02:18 PM   #31297
    space_raven
    crawling out the mud

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by bamadavefan15 View Post
    I just disagree about golf I guess.

If anything I'd say an average D1 player would have a better chance of hitting well on a major league team for a week than an average D1 golf player competing with PGA tour players on the courses and set ups they play on.
    I know next to nothing about golf. I do know it's very difficult. But when I see people like John Daily, it makes me wonder. Seems like you don't have to be very athletic, but have a lot of skill and just be kinda lucky.

Like I said, I know next to nothing about golf, but I disagree. I think an "average" D1 golfer shoots below average but not an embarrassing score. There's no way an "average" D1 baseball player moves to MLB and hits close to .100 off of major league pitching.

Quote:
    No that's my bad. I am completely fucking murdered hammered. I can barley see the screen. I go eat now.
    Old 07-11-2015, 02:22 PM   #31298
    space_raven
    crawling out the mud

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by daveshookme View Post
    One timer in hockey on a fast rush definitely harder. Not that what you said isn't top 5, but I'm just trying to think of what else would be in that 5.
    To score on a one timer... That'd be top 5 for sure.

Throwing a TD pass, would make my list as well. (I think NFL QB is the hardest job in pro sports).

Quote:
    Old 07-11-2015, 02:27 PM   #31299
    daveshookme
    Altuve wore a wire

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    To score on a one timer... That'd be top 5 for sure.

Throwing a TD pass, would make my list as well. (I think NFL QB is the hardest job in pro sports).

That may be very true about QB. Horse race jockey is a huge mental game though. They ride so many horses and have to know every single one intimately.

Throwing a 5yd td pass isn't that hard on its own though. A 35 yd laser though? Not even Eli can do that and he's a pro.
    Old 07-11-2015, 02:57 PM   #31300
    Tomriddle
    Ga Ga Ooh La La

Shows Seen: 0

DMB Hub Stubs: 1

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    So, do you think baseball is a sport?
    It's a shitty sport, but I'd call it a sport.
    Tomriddle is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-11-2015, 03:00 PM   #31301
    Tomriddle
    Ga Ga Ooh La La

Shows Seen: 0

DMB Hub Stubs: 1

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ExistenceNow View Post
    Fits under sport based on what I was saying. Requires athletic movement/athleticism, and involves direct competition (pitcher and fielders can prevent hitters from scoring.)
    Yeah, that works. It's on the low end of direct competition spectrum, but I guess it's still direct competition
    Tomriddle is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-11-2015, 03:32 PM   #31302
    jcc522
    Take Warning

Shows Seen: 3

DMB Hub Stubs: 3

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tomriddle View Post
    It's a shitty sport, but I'd call it a sport.
    Back in my day, trolling meant something.
    Old 07-11-2015, 04:23 PM   #31303
    spoot388

Shows Seen: 94

DMB Hub Stubs: 27

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    How about Nascar?
    Quote:
    Disagree.

Foot racing requires more athletic movement than horse racing, but horse racing probably has more direct competition, and Nascar certainly has more direct competition but obviously less athleticism.

You can easily claim that cycling is a sport and that horse and car racing aren't.
    NASCAR is absolutely a sport. some races are more physically demanding than probably most other sports. for as physically demanding as football and hockey are, they get much more down time than NASCAR drivers do. go put on jeans, boots, a long sleeve shirt, a hoodie, winter gloves, and a winter hat and sit in your car in the sun with the windows up for 4 hours. then tense up every muscle in your body for 3/4 of that time and try to play a game on your phone that requires lots of concentration.

and driving one of those cars at 180mph is nothing like doing 60 on the highway. its far from an easy sunday drive. you're pretty much wrestling the steering wheel the entire time. when was the last time you needed to use your forearm to make a turn? and then you're doing all this with 42 other drivers on the track. driving closer to other cars than you would be on the highway. no blinkers, no brake lights. barely even have a rear view mirror.

people think that NASCAR drivers are just fat guys who hop in a car and drive fast. not so much anymore. jimmie johnson runs triathalons and carl edwards is ripped. theres a lot more to it than just sitting in a chair. the physical demands are incredibly high, and NASCAR is probably the most mentally demanding of any sport.

Quote:
    The question would be is racing a sport? Foot, horse, car, bicycle, camel, doesn't matter. If one is sport, they all are.
    to me, it depends on what type of race it is, not the form of racing. racing against a clock is the same as golfing. its you against the course and then someone else against the course just trying to beat your score, but nothing about what they do affects how you do. 100 meter dash, everyone is in their lane. you can't touch the person next to you, so there is nothing you can do to slow them down. something like NASCAR where there are many people going at the same time without any limits as to where they can drive or hitting others (to an extent) means that you can move people out of your way or get in someone's way to keep them behind you.
    Old 07-11-2015, 04:54 PM   #31304
    ExistenceNow
    AM.org Moderator

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by spoot388 View Post
    NASCAR is absolutely a sport. some races are more physically demanding than probably most other sports. for as physically demanding as football and hockey are, they get much more down time than NASCAR drivers do. go put on jeans, boots, a long sleeve shirt, a hoodie, winter gloves, and a winter hat and sit in your car in the sun with the windows up for 4 hours. then tense up every muscle in your body for 3/4 of that time and try to play a game on your phone that requires lots of concentration.

and driving one of those cars at 180mph is nothing like doing 60 on the highway. its far from an easy sunday drive. you're pretty much wrestling the steering wheel the entire time. when was the last time you needed to use your forearm to make a turn? and then you're doing all this with 42 other drivers on the track. driving closer to other cars than you would be on the highway. no blinkers, no brake lights. barely even have a rear view mirror.

people think that NASCAR drivers are just fat guys who hop in a car and drive fast. not so much anymore. jimmie johnson runs triathalons and carl edwards is ripped. theres a lot more to it than just sitting in a chair. the physical demands are incredibly high, and NASCAR is probably the most mentally demanding of any sport.

to me, it depends on what type of race it is, not the form of racing. racing against a clock is the same as golfing. its you against the course and then someone else against the course just trying to beat your score, but nothing about what they do affects how you do. 100 meter dash, everyone is in their lane. you can't touch the person next to you, so there is nothing you can do to slow them down. something like NASCAR where there are many people going at the same time without any limits as to where they can drive or hitting others (to an extent) means that you can move people out of your way or get in someone's way to keep them behind you.

Nascar certainly passes the direct competition part of the equation.

But while I don't deny that Nascar is physically demanding and difficult, I'm not sure it demands athleticism. Being able to endure high temperatures, while impressive, isn't exactly something I would describe as athletic. Same goes for the rest of the difficulties of race car driving.

What the drivers do outside of the car is irrelevant. Jimmie may be a fantastic athlete in his own right, but that doesn't mean he's doing something athletic in the car.

Not knocking what they do at all though. It's insanely difficult.
    Old 07-11-2015, 05:11 PM   #31305
    jcc522
    Take Warning

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Nascar certainly passes the direct competition part of the equation.

But while I don't deny that Nascar is physically demanding and difficult, I'm not sure it demands athleticism. Being able to endure high temperatures, while impressive, isn't exactly something I would describe as athletic. Same goes for the rest of the difficulties of race car driving.

What the drivers do outside of the car is irrelevant. Jimmie may be a fantastic athlete in his own right, but that doesn't mean he's doing something athletic in the car.

Not knocking what they do at all though. It's insanely difficult.

You don't have to be athletic to participate in a sport. CC Sabathia could't sprint from the mound to the dug out. Doesn't mean that baseball isn't a sport.
    Old 07-11-2015, 05:15 PM   #31306
    ExistenceNow
    AM.org Moderator

My Tour Central Stats

You're mistaking athletic with being in great shape. Just because he's not a fast runner doesn't mean that his role in the sport doesn't require athletic movement. I think pitching/fielding is athletic. Big Papi and Prince Fielder aren't in phenomenal shape. I don't think you could say that what they do is not athletic.
    Old 07-11-2015, 05:19 PM   #31307
    ExistenceNow
    AM.org Moderator

My Tour Central Stats

Or take NFL linemen. Huge fatbodies. Great athletes.
    Old 07-11-2015, 05:24 PM   #31308
    jcc522
    Take Warning

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    You're mistaking athletic with being in great shape. Just because he's not a fast runner doesn't mean that his role in the sport doesn't require athletic movement. I think pitching/fielding is athletic. Big Papi and Prince Fielder aren't in phenomenal shape. I don't think you could say that what they do is not athletic.
    Quote:
    Or take NFL linemen. Huge fatbodies. Great athletes.
    Eh, I don't consider any of them(pitchers, DH's, O linemen, drivers) athletes. Doesn't mean that what they play isn't a sport
    Old 07-11-2015, 05:24 PM   #31309
    rickyh24
    GOAT

Shows Seen: 76

DMB Hub Stubs: 25

My Tour Central Stats

What irritates you?

Quote:
    How many times has your buddy shot a good golf score, like comparable to a pro? We've all got 1 friend who shoots, what, an 85, every once in a while. I've gone bowling and seen a 68 year old dude, wasted off beer and chicken wings, bowl a 300. Was at a bar, saw a girl hit like 11 bulls eyes in a row. I've never seen my neighbor hit a 90 mph fastball, or catch a pass over the middle with Joe Hadden barreling down on him.

To be fair what great bowlers do is amazing. They are just consistent as hell. Bowling is a mental gAme like golf. People that can shoot 260+ consistently are extremely talented. They also do it sober so that helps. I do a bowling league every other year got a handful of of 250s but my average is like a 170. I don't take it seriously though. I'm always drinking during league games. Pros make the game of bowling look so damn easy. Just like pro golfers. Bowling and golf are things you get amazing at when you are rich and can just do those things all day. Actual sports require skills that you are just lucky enough to be born with.
    rickyh24 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-11-2015, 05:26 PM   #31310
    ExistenceNow
    AM.org Moderator

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Eh, I don't consider any of them(pitchers, DH's, O linemen, drivers) athletes. Doesn't mean that what they play isn't a sport

Well how do you define what constitutes a sport, then?
    Old 07-11-2015, 05:27 PM   #31311
    ExistenceNow
    AM.org Moderator

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by rickyh24 View Post
    To be fair what great bowlers do is amazing. They are just consistent as hell. Bowling is a mental gAme like golf. People that can shoot 260+ consistently are extremely talented. They also do it sober so that helps. I do a bowling league every other year got a handful of of 250s but my average is like a 170. I don't take it seriously though. I'm always drinking during league games. Pros make the game of bowling look so damn easy. Just like pro golfers. Bowling and golf are things you get amazing at when you are rich and can just do those things all day. Actual sports require skills that you are just lucky enough to be born with.

Definitely very impressive, what bowlers do. People get defensive when you say something isn't a sport, because they take that as your saying it's easy or unimpressive.
    Old 07-11-2015, 05:29 PM   #31312
    jcc522
    Take Warning

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Wow. My best ever, and I was drunk as fuck, was a 244. My average is probably 125. I guess I bowl 5 or 6 times a year.

Agree or disagree: you are not a man if you can't break 100.
    Old 07-11-2015, 05:31 PM   #31313
    daveshookme
    Altuve wore a wire

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by spoot388 View Post

Completely agree with this. NASCAR is incredibly athletic and physical. Definitely a sport.
    Old 07-11-2015, 05:31 PM   #31314
    rickyh24
    GOAT

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Wow. My best ever, and I was drunk as fuck, was a 244. My average is probably 125. I guess I bowl 5 or 6 times a year.

Agree or disagree: you are not a man if you can't break 100.

Lol if you can't break 100 you are definitely not a man. Unless we are talking candlepin bowling. I grew up playing candlepin in Maine and that is much harder.
    Old 07-11-2015, 05:33 PM   #31315
    rickyh24
    GOAT

My Tour Central Stats

What irritates you?

Quote:
    Completely agree with this. NASCAR is incredibly athletic and physical. Definitely a sport.

NASCAR is absolutely a sport. An average human would pull over on lap 35 and jump out of the car crying. The average human can play 18 holes of golf or bowl all day no problem.

Last edited by rickyh24; 07-11-2015 at 05:36 PM.
    Old 07-11-2015, 05:34 PM   #31316
    daveshookme
    Altuve wore a wire

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    NASCAR is absolutely a sport. And average human would pull over on lap 35 and jump out of the car crying. The average human can play 18 holes of golf or bowl all day no problem.

I laugh when people say it's not. Fucking hysterical
    Old 07-11-2015, 05:35 PM   #31317
    rickyh24
    GOAT

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    I laugh when people say it's not. Fucking hysterical

It's the best when people who dont think nascar is a sport say golf is a sport.
    Old 07-11-2015, 05:36 PM   #31318
    daveshookme
    Altuve wore a wire

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    It's the best when people who dont think nascar is a sport say golf is a sport.

I say pro golf is a sport but I'm not like gonna defend it too hard ha
    Old 07-11-2015, 05:37 PM   #31319
    jcc522
    Take Warning

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    NASCAR is absolutely a sport. And average human would pull over on lap 35 and jump out of the car crying. The average human can play 18 holes of golf or bowl all day no problem.
    Have you ever ridden in one? My mom rode in one at Charlotte(only went 130) and said it was wild.

I'd love to ride in one full speed.
    Old 07-11-2015, 05:38 PM   #31320
    rickyh24
    GOAT

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Have you ever ridden in one? My mom rode in one at Charlotte(only went 130) and said it was wild.

I'd love to ride in one full speed.

No I haven't. I would love to though. Going around those turns would be the best part i think.