Basic Home Recording Setup - Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion
Old 07-24-2014, 04:30 PM   #1
s0628711

Shows Seen: 57

DMB Hub Stubs: 20

My Tour Central Stats

Basic Home Recording Setup

I'm in the market to get a home recording setup going, but I'm not looking for anything too special. Just something I can do basic tracking on. But I don't know the first thing about any equipment. Anyone willing to point me in the right direction? Thanks in advance.
s0628711 is offline   Reply With Quote

• Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here
  • Old 07-24-2014, 06:28 PM   #2
    CDN-DMBfan

Shows Seen: 43

DMB Hub Stubs: 17

My Tour Central Stats

Re: Basic Home Recording Setup

Basic basic... If you have an iphone/iPod I'd recommend Garage Band from Apple. $5 and you can record direct via the mic. Get a iRig and you can run a guitar direct in.
    Then if you're so inclined you can get a USB adaptor and connect a decent USB mic to record also.
    Or if you want to do it on the cheap, if you have an old Rock Band or Guitar Hero mic and use that.

So for:
    $5 ap
    $20 iRig
    $35 USB adaptor

Total $60 and you're good to go.

Just a suggestion if you're messing around and don't want to spend much money.
    CDN-DMBfan is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-24-2014, 06:43 PM   #3
    rantingthespian

Shows Seen: 0

DMB Hub Stubs: 2

My Tour Central Stats

I like using the Lexicon Omega Desktop Recording Studio.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/pro-a...cording-studio
    Old 07-25-2014, 04:37 PM   #4
    s0628711

Shows Seen: 57

DMB Hub Stubs: 20

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by CDN-DMBfan View Post
    Basic basic... If you have an iphone/iPod I'd recommend Garage Band from Apple. $5 and you can record direct via the mic. Get a iRig and you can run a guitar direct in.
    Then if you're so inclined you can get a USB adaptor and connect a decent USB mic to record also.
    Or if you want to do it on the cheap, if you have an old Rock Band or Guitar Hero mic and use that.

So for:
    $5 ap
    $20 iRig
    $35 USB adaptor

Total $60 and you're good to go.

Just a suggestion if you're messing around and don't want to spend much money.
    Appreciate the input. I've been recording rough ideas on studiomini, an iphone app, for a few years now. Just direct from phone speaker so I can capture creative ideas easily.

Kind of looking for the next step above that. I'm talking computer programs, etc. My budget would be around $1000.
    s0628711 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-28-2014, 05:24 AM   #5
    DaveHead36
    YNWA

Shows Seen: 4

DMB Hub Stubs: 4

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by s0628711 View Post
    Appreciate the input. I've been recording rough ideas on studiomini, an iphone app, for a few years now. Just direct from phone speaker so I can capture creative ideas easily.

Kind of looking for the next step above that. I'm talking computer programs, etc. My budget would be around $1000.
    Buy a PreSonus audio interface that comes packaged with Studio1/2 or whatever number they are on. American Musical has this for $250: http://www.americanmusical.com/Item-...-FSMOBILE-LIST

Upgrade the Studio One Artist (the free version) to Producer ($100) or Professional ($300)

Then get you a couple of nice condenser mics for recording vocals/acoustics. MXL makes some really good microphones for really cheap. ($100) http://www.americanmusical.com/Item-...-440441PK-LIST

A pair of Sony 7506 headphones for recording and monitoring ($100).

An external hard drive to store your stuff ($150)

So that's a pretty nice recording setup for around $700-900 depending on which Studio One version you upgrade to. That still leaves you cash leftover for ancillary items like mic cables, mic stand, etc.
    Old 07-29-2014, 04:58 PM   #6
    chemcaj
    Mel

Shows Seen: 2

DMB Hub Stubs: 1

My Tour Central Stats

I've got a Macbook that I bought in 2010 that uses Logic Express (Logic Studio) and an M-Audio Fast Track/USB interface. It has two channels with XLR connection/1/4" instrument cable. I use the Macbook as my main laptop so it is not that much more expensive. I have a Shure microphone that I record my vocals on. With that and a couple of guitars I'm set. I think if you discount the cost of the laptop you can do this for under $1000 easily.

Let us hear something when you get set up in the original mucisians/band thread. A number of us have shared original music and songs there. There are some great musicians here on Ants.

Some of my music: http://www.youtube.com/user/MelBroussard
    chemcaj is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-29-2014, 04:58 PM   #7
    chemcaj
    Mel

Shows Seen: 2

DMB Hub Stubs: 1

My Tour Central Stats

I've got a Macbook that I bought in 2010 that uses Logic Express (Logic Studio) and an M-Audio Fast Track/USB interface. It has two channels with XLR connection/1/4" instrument cable. I use the Macbook as my main laptop so it is not that much more expensive. I have a Shure microphone that I record my vocals on. With that and a couple of guitars I'm set. I think if you discount the cost of the laptop you can do this for under $1000 easily.

Let us hear something when you get set up in the original music/band thread. A number of us have shared original music and songs there. There are some great musicians here on Ants.

Some of my music: http://www.youtube.com/user/MelBroussard
    chemcaj is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 08-02-2014, 11:39 AM   #8
    GuitarGuy305
    The Last Stomp

Shows Seen: 12

DMB Hub Stubs: 9

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by DaveHead36 View Post
    Buy a PreSonus audio interface that comes packaged with Studio1/2 or whatever number they are on. American Musical has this for $250: http://www.americanmusical.com/Item-...-FSMOBILE-LIST

Upgrade the Studio One Artist (the free version) to Producer ($100) or Professional ($300)

Then get you a couple of nice condenser mics for recording vocals/acoustics. MXL makes some really good microphones for really cheap. ($100) http://www.americanmusical.com/Item-...-440441PK-LIST

A pair of Sony 7506 headphones for recording and monitoring ($100).

An external hard drive to store your stuff ($150)

So that's a pretty nice recording setup for around $700-900 depending on which Studio One version you upgrade to. That still leaves you cash leftover for ancillary items like mic cables, mic stand, etc.
    Basically ditto everything here. I love the PreSonus/StudioOne combo. Though I have done quite a few basic recordings that sound good with the PreSonus into Audacity, which is free. But StudioOne obviously gives you many more options than just push a button & record.
    GuitarGuy305 is offline   Reply With Quote