Anyone else disappointed with You & Me's lack of success? - Page 3 - Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion

Go Back   Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion > Archive > 'Big Whiskey and the GrooGrux King' Album Discussion
Register Rules Community Top Lists Torrents AM.org

Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here

Old 01-15-2010, 11:56 AM   #61
DMBboi81

Shows Seen: 54

DMB Hub Stubs: 20

My Tour Central Stats

Re: Anyone else disappointed with You & Me's lack of success?

Don't really care if it was a success (radio wise) but I still like it a lot.

• Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here
  • Old 01-15-2010, 12:13 PM   #62
    VivaMonkeyMan
    34#Captain SugarWill#41

Shows Seen: 0

DMB Hub Stubs: 1

My Tour Central Stats

Whomever has picked the singles on the band's last few albums is an idiot. You and Me would have gotten more air time back in '03. Not today. They should make LITHOG the next single.
    Old 01-15-2010, 08:41 PM   #63
    pantalanagatuba

Shows Seen: 29

DMB Hub Stubs: 16

My Tour Central Stats

the first time i listened to the album, i thought that shake me had the most potential to be dmb's first ever top 5 mainstream hit...don't know why that wasn't released. if that had success, it might have helped the other songs like you and me do better on the radio. but then again, when did radio air play ever matter when it comes to dave matthews band? as a fan, i'm almost proud of it. the very best music, 95% of the time, isn't even played on the radio anymore. most non-independent, especially clear channel, radio is such garbage...which unfortunately too often correlates to the grammys, and even worse, the American public's perception of what "good music" is...
    Old 01-15-2010, 09:09 PM   #64
    bayou_captain

Shows Seen: 59

DMB Hub Stubs: 23

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by pantalanagatuba View Post
    ...which unfortunately too often correlates to the grammys, and even worse, the American public's perception of what "good music" is...
    I mean this in the nicest of ways but I get so heated up over this:

The Grammys have nothing to fucking do with radio play or what America thinks is good. Its actually based on the music. If it were for straight up radio play, DMB wouldn't have even been nominated. Doesn't anybody see that? Do you ever remember hearing any songs from "Raising Sand" at all on mainstream radio? Hmmm... To me, the AOTY nominee is for the albums that are actually well put together and have good music.
    Old 01-16-2010, 08:36 AM   #65
    MistreatedLewis

Shows Seen: 17

DMB Hub Stubs: 12

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by bayou_captain View Post

The Grammys have nothing to fucking do with radio play or what America thinks is good. Its actually based on the music.
    If it were for straight up radio play, DMB wouldn't have even been nominated. Doesn't anybody see that? Do you ever remember hearing any songs from "Raising Sand" at all on mainstream radio? Hmmm... To me, the AOTY nominee is for the albums that are actually well put together and have good music.
    This is so incredibly false it's mind boggling.
    Old 01-16-2010, 09:17 AM   #66
    hill of dirt
    i likes su!

My Tour Central Stats

hey bayou
    just wondering if you've seen the noms for AOTY?Taylor Swift,Lady Gagme,Beyonce,please!If DMB wins i don't know if they should even accept the award.
    Old 01-16-2010, 09:33 AM   #67
    solsburyhill
    MM #57

Shows Seen: 8

DMB Hub Stubs: 5

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:

The Grammys have nothing to fucking do with radio play or what America thinks is good. Its actually based on the music. If it were for straight up radio play, DMB wouldn't have even been nominated. Doesn't anybody see that? Do you ever remember hearing any songs from "Raising Sand" at all on mainstream radio? Hmmm... To me, the AOTY nominee is for the albums that are actually well put together and have good music.
    wait what? that's so wrong it scares me

Old 01-16-2010, 11:56 AM   #68
    proppenator

Shows Seen: 31

DMB Hub Stubs: 11

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by hill of dirt View Post
    hey bayou
    just wondering if you've seen the noms for AOTY?Taylor Swift,Lady Gagme,Beyonce,please!If DMB wins i don't know if they should even accept the award.
    The Taylor Swift and Lady Gaga albums are actually quite good.
    Old 01-16-2010, 12:06 PM   #69
    MistreatedLewis

Shows Seen: 17

DMB Hub Stubs: 12

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by proppenator View Post
    The Taylor Swift and Lady Gaga albums are actually quite good.
    How do you define "good?"
    Old 01-16-2010, 01:40 PM   #70
    bayou_captain

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by MistreatedLewis View Post
    This is so incredibly false it's mind boggling.
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hill of dirt View Post
    hey bayou
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solsburyhill View Post
    wait what? that's so wrong it scares me
    Okay, I can understand where you're all coming from but whether you like these musicians or not, they did have very good albums this year. Although I'm not a huge fan of them, Swift did change country music to be more appealing, Gaga did make dance music a little more enjoyable, Beyonce's album was probably the best she's put out, and BEP... well... I don't really have anything to defend them. They shouldn't have been nominated. Now, of course I think there were better albums put out this year than the four that were but those artists weren't very well known. I think you have to have a bit of a following before you get nominated for AOTY. And by the way, its not DMB's fault they were nominated with these people.

I'm going to keep my word and say that DMB will defenitly win Album of the Year.
    Old 01-16-2010, 01:43 PM   #71
    americanemu25
    All Night Long

Shows Seen: 55

DMB Hub Stubs: 25

My Tour Central Stats

you & me, more like poo & pee

BUTTER!!!!!!! FLY!!!!! YAAAAAAA!!!!!!!! YYYYYYYYAaaaaaaa!!!!!
    Old 01-16-2010, 01:44 PM   #72
    VivaMonkeyMan
    34#Captain SugarWill#41

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    I'm going to keep my word and say that DMB will defenitly win Album of the Year.
    Maybe we can all will it to happen. (even though it's far, far away from their best stuff)

DMB is the Johnny Depp/Jeff Bridges of the Grammies. They've been over-looked far too many times.

Plus, they dissed Roi, which totally isn't cool. ugh.

Last edited by VivaMonkeyMan; 01-16-2010 at 01:46 PM.
    Old 01-16-2010, 01:45 PM   #73
    solsburyhill
    MM #57

Shows Seen: 8

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Okay, I can understand where you're all coming from but whether you like these musicians or not, they did have very good albums this year. Although I'm not a huge fan of them, Swift did change country music to be more appealing, Gaga did make dance music a little more enjoyable, Beyonce's album was probably the best she's put out, and BEP... well... I don't really have anything to defend them. They shouldn't have been nominated. Now, of course I think there were better albums put out this year than the four that were but those artists weren't very well known. I think you have to have a bit of a following before you get nominated for AOTY. And by the way, its not DMB's fault they were nominated with these people.

you just argued my point for me. thanks

Old 01-18-2010, 11:36 AM   #74
    bayou_captain

My Tour Central Stats

Ahhh,, here we go. This makes sense:

Quote:
    Originally Posted by DJGeneral View Post
    Everything is in the band's favor to win

1. The academy typically votes for the "old white man" (since most of the voters are rich, old, white men)

2. The academy rewards albums dedicated to fallen band members

3. The academy forgot to mention a Grammy winner last year (LeRoi) and this is sort of repayment (silly reason, but very true)

4. The other 4 nominees are top 40 acts. They will split the vote.

5. DMB is the only pure rock group.

and the reasons go on and on and on ....... DMB 100% should win this without a doubt. But this will probably be the year the academy switches it up haha

but it is just annoying to read over and over on these boards that DMB stand no chance when they have without a doubt the best chance.
    Old 01-18-2010, 12:15 PM   #75
    Timebomb07

Shows Seen: 48

DMB Hub Stubs: 19

My Tour Central Stats

I think a good amount of fans like it, I personally think it sucks
    Old 01-18-2010, 01:52 PM   #76
    be_MERRY

Shows Seen: 60

DMB Hub Stubs: 20

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by MGH4007 View Post
    I don't think it's all that good
    of a song, Besides that... When have they ever had a good record with radio
    I second that
    Old 01-18-2010, 09:57 PM   #77
    zajDmB1

Shows Seen: 44

DMB Hub Stubs: 17

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:

Quote:

I've posted this before, and I think in this thread, but I don't feel like looking, but anyway, this is MAINLY how the Grammys work. Artists, producers and engineers get points for working on records, and after so many points you get the ability to vote for the Grammys. Since that means only industry people are voting, what people vote for is basically figured out by this:

You want the artist to win that will directly benefit you the most. If you worked on a record you will vote for that out of pride, but a lot of times labels like to put as many votes to the same artist so they can profit off a win. For example, using DMB:

Labels want a Grammy win to lead to more sales. Someone like Beyonce (on Columbia Records which is part of Sony Music Group), she has already sold a shitload of albums and everyone knows about her. If people wanted to buy the album, they would have by now for the most part. Her winning would probably not benefit the labels as much as DMB (on RCA which is also part of Sony Music Group). Bigwigs on the top floor are most likely going to call the presidents of Columbia and RCA and tell them to team together to vote for whoever would be most profitable. In my opinion, that would be DMB. Yes, they've sold 1M already, but they have a bigger chance of winning people over or changing minds which leads to album sales, than Beyonce does. IMO, they may see it otherwise, of course.

And yea, that may backfire or another label may have more votes, so that is not a surefire way to win. What is another big issue is to see basically who has more friends. There are obviously thousands of voters with no stake in the Grammys each year, either directly or indirectly through a company or parent company. So you can look at how established the artist is.

Looking back to Raising Sand, you've got a country darling/budding legend, a bonafide classic rock legend, and a producer who has seen more action that 99% of producers ever will. The rolodex on those three combined is MASSIVE. Put that together with being a good record and actually being likeable people, and you've got a lot of outside votes.

Similarly, DMB has not only been around for years and years, they have been an industry leader and a VERY profitable name for most of those years. That means they too have a big ass rolodex, AND even better, they make a lot of people a lot of money and are genuinely well-liked and respected because they are so humble, nice, etc. It may sound silly, but that goes a long way. People in showbiz LOOOOOVE to try to fuck people over they don't like.

Lady GaGa and Taylor Swift are the easy choices you would think, but DMB has the industry support MUCH more than you would think. While I wouldn't necessarily be surprised if DMB didn't win, I really think they will.
    Old 01-18-2010, 10:34 PM   #78
    Resatka
    You Enjoy Myself

Shows Seen: 9

DMB Hub Stubs: 6

My Tour Central Stats

Did you know the 50 Cent, Notorious BIG, Tupac, Bob Marley, Led Zeppelin AND The Who have never received a Grammy?

Old 01-25-2010, 08:53 PM   #79
    BrettMatthews

Shows Seen: 10

My Tour Central Stats

Back to the topic.... actually various radio stations play You & Me here in Germany but not very often - once every two or three weeks as far as I can see...

IMO, the management has no lucky hand chosing singles - there are too many in too short a time and doubtful choices... how many have been released from BWGGK? 3 (FTWII, WIA and Y&M)?

I think the music market over here is different, SMLAM would have been a good choice but now it is too late ("Oh, another single by that band, which one is the smash-hit please ?")

Most of the time you still hear Crash into me or Everyday by DMB on the radio here. The Space between was also played a few times in 2001, but that's it...(noone remembers I did it or Where are you going)

Less single-quantity and more single-quality would be better.. but anyway, DMB s a live band and not a radio band....

Last edited by BrettMatthews; 01-25-2010 at 08:56 PM.
    Old 02-14-2010, 06:06 AM   #80
    SpotlightEyes
    Life is so peachy

Shows Seen: 52

DMB Hub Stubs: 25

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by altark123 View Post
    I thought this could be a big song. It's got that mainstream love song quality that I would think would catch on quickly. Surprisingly, it appears I'm wrong.
    If it wasn't so stupid, it might have caught on.
    Old 10-06-2010, 11:35 PM   #81
    OneSweetShotgun

Shows Seen: 7

DMB Hub Stubs: 9

My Tour Central Stats

Not too into this song,just doesn't do that much for me.It's definetly one of their weakest songs imo
    Old 11-07-2010, 04:33 PM   #82
    Antelope

Shows Seen: 11

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by mja271 View Post
    I'm not at all surprised that this isn't a hit.
    Me either. I don't think the mainstream has been interested in DMB for nine or ten years.
    Old 11-07-2010, 06:21 PM   #83
    42km
    Drive In : Dive Out

Shows Seen: 141

DMB Hub Stubs: 30

My Tour Central Stats

Seems like the band tried to promote Y&M for mainstream play..but it never caught on..and it is way too sedate and lyrically unispiring for the hardcore DMB fans, my only disappointment is that it is that it continues to be played at virtually every show...for me it has become a "go for a piss"/sit down song.

Europe 2024: Milan, Florence
    Summer 2024: Alpine x 2, SPAC x 2, Gorge x 3
    Old 11-07-2010, 06:30 PM   #84
    minaretchillin

Shows Seen: 2

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by 42km View Post
    Seems like the band tried to promote Y&M for mainstream play..but it never caught on..and it is way too sedate and lyrically unispiring for the hardcore DMB fans, my only disappointment is that it is that it continues to be played at virtually every show...for me it has become a "go for a piss"/sit down song.

Haha I was actually planning on grabbing a beer at CVille during this song if I needed to refill. For me, this song is one of the worst from them. Lyrically, there's basically nothing there. It uses way too many words like "you" "me" "yeah". It's crap...maybe that's cause I'm not too into the love songs anymore. I guess Seven does that too but it's got such a dirty feel to it and Carter's beat is sickening. That cd has so much more to offer than what was given on the radio, but I guess that's okay. Lyrically, Squirm is a fucking monster. I think if that were a radio single, people would be like holy shit what's this new stuff from DMB.
    Old 11-20-2010, 11:53 PM   #85
    MGH4007
    dim5

Shows Seen: 13

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Resatka View Post
    Did you know the 50 Cent, Notorious BIG, Tupac, Bob Marley, Led Zeppelin AND The Who have never received a Grammy?
    The biggest surprise for me, out of that list are Tupac and BMarley.
    Old 11-21-2010, 08:44 AM   #86
    kittensXLI
    Save_Us.Y2J

Shows Seen: 6

My Tour Central Stats

Disappointed with the lack of success? No. It's not a good song.
    Old 11-21-2010, 09:45 AM   #87
    cornbread4141

Shows Seen: 20

DMB Hub Stubs: 11

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpotlightEyes View Post
    If it wasn't so stupid, it might have caught on.
    Yes, every song the radio is a work of high intelligence.
    Old 11-21-2010, 12:16 PM   #88
    Timebomb07

Shows Seen: 48

DMB Hub Stubs: 19

My Tour Central Stats

You and Me STILL sucks ass. MSG n2, it was easily the weakest reaction from fans. I loveeeed that.

You and Me is the worst song Dave as written.
    Old 11-21-2010, 02:01 PM   #89
    JRS1386
    Heeeeeeeere's Gritty

Shows Seen: 6

DMB Hub Stubs: 4

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Timebomb07 View Post
    You and Me STILL sucks ass. MSG n2, it was easily the weakest reaction from fans. I loveeeed that.

You and Me is the worst song Dave as written
    This is far from truth
    Old 11-21-2010, 07:37 PM   #90
    maytoes
    You & I with muddy toes

Shows Seen: 42

DMB Hub Stubs: 15

My Tour Central Stats

this song sucks