Lying in the Hands of God... - Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion
Old 06-07-2009, 08:24 PM   #1
ShotgunDMB

Shows Seen: 0

DMB Hub Stubs: 1

My Tour Central Stats

Lying in the Hands of God...

Stunning song. Floors me.

But what is it about? Interpretations?

I'm going with the drug theme..

• Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here
  • Old 06-07-2009, 08:37 PM   #2
    monkeywoman

My Tour Central Stats

Re: Lying in the Hands of God...

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ShotgunDMB View Post
    Stunning song. Floors me.

But what is it about? Interpretations?

I'm going with the drug theme..
    I can't say what it is..but there is something about this song.

Same with the entire album..I don't know how to articulate it, but I can't stop listening to it.
    Old 06-07-2009, 09:07 PM   #3
    Mgkibbles

My Tour Central Stats

This is the only song I can't seem to figure out lyrically, but its my favorite on the album. Everything seems to just flow perfectly and the sax at the start is heavenly.
    Old 06-07-2009, 09:11 PM   #4
    dreamingtree041

Shows Seen: 58

DMB Hub Stubs: 22

My Tour Central Stats

... is probably my favorite song on the album.
    Old 06-07-2009, 09:12 PM   #5
    spoot388

Shows Seen: 94

DMB Hub Stubs: 27

My Tour Central Stats

i saw someone mention it possibly being a back and forth between dave and roi. i can see the chorus being roi talking to dave, but i honestly have no idea what this song is about. its weird that its so beautiful, yet no one know what the hell its about.
    Old 06-07-2009, 09:16 PM   #6
    TheLastStop123
    paper hands

Shows Seen: 39

DMB Hub Stubs: 15

My Tour Central Stats

I agree that its such a beautiful song....love the lyrics, have no idea what they mean...then there's that "i really should call my mother" line that completely throws me!
    Old 06-07-2009, 09:16 PM   #7
    BrotherChaos420
    Relax....

Shows Seen: 15

DMB Hub Stubs: 12

My Tour Central Stats

this song is fucking awesome, i loved it as soon as it met my ears.
    Old 06-07-2009, 09:28 PM   #8
    One_AntMarching

Shows Seen: 8

DMB Hub Stubs: 6

My Tour Central Stats

The "now the floor is the ceiling" lyric after the first chorus could mean that the world as he knew it was turned upside down.
    the choruses following this include "if you knew how i feel, you couldn't be so sure". meaning after a horrible event/events, dave's view of the world was changed
    i've thought the chorus was about dave's loss of faith in god. Saying if you knew how he felt, then you wouldn't be certain that he believed in god.
    Old 06-07-2009, 09:30 PM   #9
    TheLastStop123
    paper hands

Shows Seen: 39

DMB Hub Stubs: 15

My Tour Central Stats

also, the line "if you never flew why would you?" could be that Roi decided to fly in the airplane to LA to meet the guys when he rarely flew anywhere.
    Old 06-07-2009, 09:36 PM   #10
    One_AntMarching

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by TheLastStop123 View Post
    also, the line "if you never flew why would you?" could be that Roi decided to fly in the airplane to LA to meet the guys when he rarely flew anywhere.
    ^^^i haven't thought of that

i always felt that the butterfly part kind of represented the cruelties of the world

I think these lyrics represent how people who accept god and jesus with a passion feel. I think of watching revivals on T.V. and watching the audience go insane over what the preacher is saying
    "If you feel angels in your head
    Teardrop of joy runs down your face
    You will rise"
    Old 06-07-2009, 09:37 PM   #11
    comerelaxnow

My Tour Central Stats

ive been trying to figure this song out to
    "
    Old 06-07-2009, 09:39 PM   #12
    comerelaxnow

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by One_AntMarching View Post
    The "now the floor is the ceiling" lyric after the first chorus could mean that the world as he knew it was turned upside down.
    the choruses following this include "if you knew how i feel, you couldn't be so sure". meaning after a horrible event/events, dave's view of the world was changed
    i've thought the chorus was about dave's loss of faith in god. Saying if you knew how he felt, then you wouldn't be certain that he believed in god.
    me too. but then he sings "ill be right here lying in the hands of God"
    Old 06-07-2009, 09:40 PM   #13
    Mgkibbles

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by TheLastStop123 View Post
    I thought that to, but when you look at the line it says "If you never flew why would you? Cut the wings off a butterfly" So I interpret as you don't know what its like for a butterfly to have the freedom to fly so why take that away from him?
    Old 06-07-2009, 09:47 PM   #14
    One_AntMarching

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by comerelaxnow View Post
    I feel like he is saying that "if you knew what i feel then you couldn't be sure that I'll be lying in the hands of god"

"If you knew what I feel then you couldn't be so sure

I'll be right here lying in the hands of God"

i think the two above lines are connected as in what context they are being used
    Old 06-07-2009, 09:48 PM   #15
    spoot388

My Tour Central Stats

I'm going to try to piece together what we're thinking so far.

Roi - save your sermons for someone that's (shouldn't this be "who's"??) afraid to love - don't spend your time crying over me when we were not afraid to show our love for one another

Dave - if you knew what i feel then you couldn't be so sure - if you (Roi) had to suffer what i'm going through (losing a close friend) you wouldn't be able to just move on with your life

Roi - i'll be right here lying in the hands of god - i'll be up here in heaven waiting for you to join me

here it comes diving into me - the news of Roi's death sinking in after the initial shock and disbelief

now the floor is the ceiling - the news turned Dave's world upside down

if you never flew why would you cut the wings off a butterfly? - i think is either dave talking to everyone else about Roi. Roi's spirit/soul/ghost being able to fly now that it has left his physical body and to not try to hold Roi back from taking the next part of his journey

or it could be Dave asking Roi why he would fly and the "cut the wings off a butterfly" part is symbolizing Roi's talent (the wings) being taken away from him (cut off)
    Old 06-07-2009, 09:51 PM   #16
    water_into_wine

Shows Seen: 2

DMB Hub Stubs: 4

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by comerelaxnow View Post
    I take that to mean he believes that there is a God who made the universe, but there is no reason for that God to bother or care about him. So it acknowledges his existence but nullifies any importance or involvment in his life.

One of my favorite lines is "if you never flew why would you?..." To me that says as humans why would we fly if we never had done so before in life. But then the subsequent line about "Cut the wings off a butterfly..." seems to me to say that people who ridicule God or dismiss him ruin the hopes of others who beleive in a higher power and a heaven to desire. Or even that the line right is aware of the one before it, and it is kind of demonstrating the thought process. I'm not sure if that is right, but I like being confused in such a beautiful way.
    Old 06-07-2009, 09:52 PM   #17
    water_into_wine

Shows Seen: 2

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by spoot388 View Post
    I'm going to try to piece together what we're thinking so far.

Roi - save your sermons for someone that's (shouldn't this be "who's"??) afraid to love - don't spend your time crying over me when we were not afraid to show our love for one another

Dave - if you knew what i feel then you couldn't be so sure - if you (Roi) had to suffer what i'm going through (losing a close friend) you wouldn't be able to just move on with your life

Roi - i'll be right here lying in the hands of god - i'll be up here in heaven waiting for you to join me

here it comes diving into me - the news of Roi's death sinking in after the initial shock and disbelief

now the floor is the ceiling - the news turned Dave's world upside down

if you never flew why would you cut the wings off a butterfly? - i think is either dave talking to everyone else about Roi. Roi's spirit/soul/ghost being able to fly now that it has left his physical body and to not try to hold Roi back from taking the next part of his journey

or it could be Dave asking Roi why he would fly and the "cut the wings off a butterfly" part is symbolizing Roi's talent (the wings) being taken away from him (cut off)
    I like this interpretation even though I completely disagree with a lot if. i find a lot of it very interesting. I mean this in a completely polite and nice way

I really think the song is all Dave personally.
    Old 06-07-2009, 09:56 PM   #18
    spoot388

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by water_into_wine View Post
    I like this interpretation even though I completely disagree with a lot if. i find a lot of it very interesting. I mean this in a completely polite and nice way

I really think the song is all Dave personally.

i completely understand what you are saying. its just the way dave works. he writes songs that can be seen 2 or 3 different ways, and nobody is wrong. hell, the stone has been around for 10 years and we still have 3-4 solid, well thought theories for what it could be about.

maybe we'll see if there is a certain way it goes when we figure out what the rest of the song could mean. as for now, there are definitely more than one way to look at this song.
    Old 06-07-2009, 10:49 PM   #19
    dmbjdc6

Shows Seen: 7

DMB Hub Stubs: 2

My Tour Central Stats

I have no idea what it means to Dave, but as soon as I read the lyrics every single line made a ton of sense to me. Here is what I get out of the lyrics. But I think the great thing about this song is there are so many ways to take it.

To me, it is about religion. It is about the disconnect between love and the bible bashing sermons taught in church. It is like he is saying that the pastors or priests don't even understand the love that is suppose to be the foundation of thier religion. The narrator seems to really understand this love but is unsure about much else.

The first verse:
    Baby I'll be your soldier/Gladly I'll do your bidding/ for just a taste of what you're holding/ for just a taste you could own me.

This verse to me is the narrator talking to God. It is wierd to refer to God as baby, but it makes sense to me. He is saying that he would basically do anything for what he is holding which is a very fulfilling love. With just a taste of it God could own him.

chorus:
    Save your sermons for someone that's afriad to love./ if you knew what I feel then you couldn't be so sure./ I'll be right here lying in the hands of God.

This chorus I veiw the narrator talking to the priests and pastors, basically saying they can tell someone else what to do, because he is only interested in lying in the hands of God. With my interpretation of the first verse, this means he is interested in the love that God is holding. Wanting what God is holding in the first verse and then later lying in the hands of God is consistent in desire and action in this interpretation. In the chorus it also seems like he is saying that if the the pastors and priests had experienced and felt the love he felt, they would be a lot less sure in their black and white sermons.

next:
    Here it comes diving into me. now the floor is the ceiling/if you never flew why would you cut the wings off a butterfly.

During the first part the narrator is desciribing the love transforming him. Almost as if he could see it coming from a distance. The foor is the ceiling is a great way to describe how such a powerful love makes the things that seemed to matter so much mean so little after experiencing the love. The second part the narrator is talking to the priests agian. He is saying if they never experienced this love why would they withhold it from others as if that is what their sermons are doing.

next:
    If you feel angels in your head/ teardrop of joy runs down your face./ you will rise

This verse it seems he is describing the love again and what it does to him.

next:
    Fill me up now drain me./ skin begins to grow back slowly/ faster untill i'm choking/ I really should call my mother.

This verse seems to describe the transformation the love. It is something new, strange, life altering. I like the last line in this verse a lot.

next:
    I am in love with nothing less/ teardrops of joy run off my face./ I will rise.

This seems to be describing how he won't settle for anything less than the love that is in the hands of god.

If you every time that I mention love in this interpretation you replace it with a very spiritual type drug, then I think this exact same interpretation would work.

Hope this made sense to someone.
    Old 06-08-2009, 12:01 AM   #20
    lieinmygrave41
    Sunday comes afterwards

Shows Seen: 30

DMB Hub Stubs: 8

My Tour Central Stats

wow
    Old 06-08-2009, 04:02 AM   #21
    MistreatedLewis

Shows Seen: 17

DMB Hub Stubs: 12

My Tour Central Stats

I love that Dave is playing a little bit of ambiguity again in his lyrics. I was really sick of the beat-you-over-the-head-obviousness of so much of his lyric writing of late. Some of the songs still have it unfortunately (FTWII, Time Bomb) but LITHOG is the right idea. Props Dave.
    Old 06-08-2009, 06:14 AM   #22
    Ram

Shows Seen: 21

DMB Hub Stubs: 14

My Tour Central Stats

I posted this in the other thread about this tune, but since this is more of a discussion about the lyrics, I guess I'll throw out my interpretation...It goes along with what a few others here have said, and it didn't take a lot of original thought, since I based it off this quote from Dave that was in his discription of the song from the Relix Magazine article:

"I don’t know whether it’s a song about being lost or being fuckin’ out of your mind because you licked some cactus or swallowed some mushroom somewhere and turned your head upside down. It could be “Hey! (hey), You! (you), Get off of my cloud.” It could be a lot of things. I like songs that just create beautiful images and that’s why I don’t want to talk about the lyrics because I just think it’s perfect. Some of the songs have to be open."

It sounds to me like it's someone experiencing some sort of mind-altering substance for the first time, and a spiritual, enlightened moment where they sort of stepped out of their own body, and felt things with an intensity they've never felt before. The lines of "if you never flew why would you cut the wings off a butterfly" are sort of speaking to those people who would keep these things out of everyones hands even though they've never experienced them themselves. ie - prohibition, war on drugs, etc.

At the beginning, he's saying he'd do anything "for just a taste of what you're holding", then he trys whatever it is - "here it comes diving into me - now the floor is the ceiling" he's experiencing the effects - and as the song goes on, he has this moment of enlightenment - "lying in the hands of God" - he's saying "save your sermons" about it being wrong for someone else...and toward the end, he starts to come down and back to reality "fill me up now drain me, skin begins to grow back slowly, faster until I'm choking"

Really, if you listen to the song with that in mind, all the lines kinda work.

However, I can easily see how this can also be interpreted as a purely spiritual song, but because of Dave's quote, I think there's a good chance that this is at least partially what it means as well. But I love the ambiguity.

Anyway, that's how I see it. Trippy as all hell. Great tune.

Last edited by Ram; 06-08-2009 at 06:17 AM.
    Old 06-08-2009, 06:54 AM   #23
    dobyblue

Shows Seen: 63

DMB Hub Stubs: 18

My Tour Central Stats

This song would be a stand out tune on ANY of the albums released to this point - it's absolutely awesome and Carter's work is brilliant.
    Old 06-08-2009, 07:04 AM   #24
    Ram

Shows Seen: 21

DMB Hub Stubs: 14

My Tour Central Stats

Carter's work is awesome, and he's proven (not that we didn't already know) that he can do it live, but the recording is actually a sped-up version of what he played. When Dave wrote the lyrics, the original band tracks were too slow for the lyrics he wrote, so they sped them up, rather than re-record them. (I assume they re-recorded the guitars and all, but the drum track was just sped up is how I understood their explanation.)
    Old 06-08-2009, 07:15 AM   #25
    broydan
    The Stone(d)

Location: Cincinnati, OH (home) Athens, OH (uni) Portland, OR (Current)

Shows Seen: 3

My Tour Central Stats

yea this song is amazing and it really throws me for a loop. There are points in the song where I think I have it all figured out but then he says something else and it just completely stops that idea.
    Old 06-08-2009, 07:32 AM   #26
    Twosteptoomuch

Shows Seen: 16

DMB Hub Stubs: 10

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by dmbjdc6 View Post
    I have no idea what it means to Dave, but as soon as I read the lyrics every single line made a ton of sense to me. Here is what I get out of the lyrics. But I think the great thing about this song is there are so many ways to take it.

To me, it is about religion. It is about the disconnect between love and the bible bashing sermons taught in church. It is like he is saying that the pastors or priests don't even understand the love that is suppose to be the foundation of thier religion. The narrator seems to really understand this love but is unsure about much else.

The first verse:
    Baby I'll be your soldier/Gladly I'll do your bidding/ for just a taste of what you're holding/ for just a taste you could own me.

This verse to me is the narrator talking to God. It is wierd to refer to God as baby, but it makes sense to me. He is saying that he would basically do anything for what he is holding which is a very fulfilling love. With just a taste of it God could own him.

chorus:
    Save your sermons for someone that's afriad to love./ if you knew what I feel then you couldn't be so sure./ I'll be right here lying in the hands of God.

This chorus I veiw the narrator talking to the priests and pastors, basically saying they can tell someone else what to do, because he is only interested in lying in the hands of God. With my interpretation of the first verse, this means he is interested in the love that God is holding. Wanting what God is holding in the first verse and then later lying in the hands of God is consistent in desire and action in this interpretation. In the chorus it also seems like he is saying that if the the pastors and priests had experienced and felt the love he felt, they would be a lot less sure in their black and white sermons.

next:
    Here it comes diving into me. now the floor is the ceiling/if you never flew why would you cut the wings off a butterfly.

During the first part the narrator is desciribing the love transforming him. Almost as if he could see it coming from a distance. The foor is the ceiling is a great way to describe how such a powerful love makes the things that seemed to matter so much mean so little after experiencing the love. The second part the narrator is talking to the priests agian. He is saying if they never experienced this love why would they withhold it from others as if that is what their sermons are doing.

next:
    If you feel angels in your head/ teardrop of joy runs down your face./ you will rise

This verse it seems he is describing the love again and what it does to him.

next:
    Fill me up now drain me./ skin begins to grow back slowly/ faster untill i'm choking/ I really should call my mother.

This verse seems to describe the transformation the love. It is something new, strange, life altering. I like the last line in this verse a lot.

next:
    I am in love with nothing less/ teardrops of joy run off my face./ I will rise.

This seems to be describing how he won't settle for anything less than the love that is in the hands of god.

If you every time that I mention love in this interpretation you replace it with a very spiritual type drug, then I think this exact same interpretation would work.

Hope this made sense to someone.
    I haven't thought this far into it yet - but nice work
    Old 06-08-2009, 07:42 AM   #27
    TheGameV30

Shows Seen: 14

My Tour Central Stats

this is my thought on the lyrics; there's some that was said that i agree w/ but i feel like the song is about Roi. i do think it's a back and fourth kind of convo btw dave and roi.

the first verse is kind of dave saying how dearly he feels about roi and their friendship

the chorus being roi talking back to dave i guess about not being afraid to love again becuz roi's now lying in the hands of god waiting for everyone else.

i agree here about dave's world being turned upside down after hearing the news and then dave almost talking to god asking him why he'd do such a cruel thing such as take roi away or the equivalent of cutting the wings off a butterfly. i.e. roi can't "spread his wings" anymore on their music (kind of a cheesey interpretation i know)

chorus again

then dave acknowledging roi making it up to heaven and this makes him cry tears of happiness

this verse immediately hit me as directly about roi. in his perspective where "fill me up now drain me" would be how he had these hopes of having a full recovery and then he was drained of that, "skin begins to grow back slowly" would be him recovering and then the complications and then him saying i should call my mother one last time. sorry that was one dark interpreation haha

dave acknowledging again his love and friendship, chorus and the last part "now the floor is the ceiling, if you never flew why would you" reading that right now almost makes me think the "floor is the ceiling" part as being in the ground since he's talked about that before in R&R and the 2nd half maybe being what someone else said about him rarely flying or 'why'd you have to leave?'

i kinda like ur interpreations better cuz they're not as sad haha. just my thoughts on this song.
    Old 06-08-2009, 08:24 AM   #28
    TheGameV30

Shows Seen: 14

My Tour Central Stats

i also thought of one other slight possibility for the "cut the wings off of a butterfly" line. maybe dave just liked that idea that he got when he did the song for Joshua called "The Fly". he has said he likes reusing some lyrics so maybe?
    Old 06-08-2009, 08:48 AM   #29
    AJF_41

Shows Seen: 27

My Tour Central Stats

I don’t know whether it’s a song about being lost or being fuckin’ out of your mind because you licked some cactus or swallowed some mushroom somewhere and turned your head upside down. It could be “Hey! (hey), You! (you), Get off of my cloud.” It could be a lot of things. I like songs that just create beautiful images and that’s why I don’t want to talk about the lyrics because I just think it’s perfect. Some of the songs have to be open.

growing vinyl collection: https://www.discogs.com/user/AJF_41/collection/covers
    Old 06-08-2009, 08:53 AM   #30
    sstrong93
    Whizzbang Seedlewop

Shows Seen: 5

DMB Hub Stubs: 3

My Tour Central Stats

To me this comes off as nothing more than a beautiful song about unrequited love.