The Apple Thread - Gather round. - Page 3 - Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion

Go Back   Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion > General Discussion > nDMBc Discussion
Register Rules Community Top Lists Torrents AM.org

Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here

Old 10-15-2012, 04:19 AM   #61
daveshookme
Altuve wore a wire

Shows Seen: 54

DMB Hub Stubs: 20

My Tour Central Stats

Re: The Apple Thread

When I bought my MBP last December, I priced it out with the least possible RAM and upgrading aftermarket and it wasn't any more expensive than buying it preinstalled.

• Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here
  • Old 10-15-2012, 04:38 AM   #62
    DIDriveOut2SPAC
    American Aquarium Drnkr

Shows Seen: 35

DMB Hub Stubs: 14

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by justink View Post
    i've never had any problems. works great.
    To each their own for sure, but three consecutive times, once my macbook warmed up, i had to keep rebooting my computer.
    Old 10-15-2012, 04:40 AM   #63
    DIDriveOut2SPAC
    American Aquarium Drnkr

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Revolution36 View Post
    Maybe you guys can help me out.

Using an early 2008 MacBook. Has been AWESOME for the most part, but is starting to show its age. It's starting to slow down A LOT.

I've attached a pic of the storage. What is this yellow "other" ?? 72GB is a lot of "other" space. Any way to clear that up?

I have 2GB of RAM, and was hoping to upgrade that soon as well. I don't really use the computer for much. Usually just to surf the web and it is where I store all my music. Any other suggestions as to how I can speed this thing up??
    http://xentek.net/articles/452/free-...e-on-your-mac/

The other is probably your operating system and your user library, mostly pretty essential.
    Old 10-15-2012, 09:27 AM   #64
    justink

Shows Seen: 51

DMB Hub Stubs: 16

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Revolution36 View Post
    Maybe you guys can help me out.

Using an early 2008 MacBook. Has been AWESOME for the most part, but is starting to show its age. It's starting to slow down A LOT.

I've attached a pic of the storage. What is this yellow "other" ?? 72GB is a lot of "other" space. Any way to clear that up?

I have 2GB of RAM, and was hoping to upgrade that soon as well. I don't really use the computer for much. Usually just to surf the web and it is where I store all my music. Any other suggestions as to how I can speed this thing up??
    upgrade your ram. and repair disk permissions. see how that goes.

i'd go in and delete everything you don't need. also, if you added all your music to itunes, it is kept in the itunes folder... so you don't need that folder on your desktop or anywhere else for that matter, you're just keeping two different copies. there's a chance you might have duplicates of music on there.
    justink is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 10-15-2012, 10:04 AM   #65
    joshizzle3
    dj general

Shows Seen: 40

DMB Hub Stubs: 15

My Tour Central Stats

It is apple month at my school. Every week, the cafe features a different local apple. Pretty neat!!
    joshizzle3 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 10-15-2012, 10:13 AM   #66
    zdaddy
    Derpmandertastic

Shows Seen: 15

DMB Hub Stubs: 9

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by joshizzle3 View Post
    It is apple month at my school. Every week, the cafe features a different local apple. Pretty neat!!
    I just ate two golden delicious apples for lunch. They were delicious.
    zdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 10-15-2012, 03:34 PM   #67
    justink

My Tour Central Stats

supposed ipad mini prices...

http://www.cultofmac.com/195936/an-8...-start-at-549/

i'm not sure why anyone would want an intermediate size between iphone and ipad, but it looks like we'll be getting it.
    Old 10-16-2012, 10:05 AM   #68
    LadyMadonna68

Shows Seen: 13

DMB Hub Stubs: 5

My Tour Central Stats

It's Official: Apple Announces What Will Likely Be The 'iPad Mini' Launch Event http://appadvice.com/appnn/2012/10/i...ad-mini-event/
    LadyMadonna68 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 10-16-2012, 01:49 PM   #69
    iMAC386
    BOOMER!

Shows Seen: 1

DMB Hub Stubs: 3

My Tour Central Stats

I agree Justin, don't understand what the point of the iPad Mini is. I guess Apple's research tells them differently, but I'm expecting this to be a sales bust.
    iMAC386 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 10-16-2012, 01:54 PM   #70
    justink

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by iMAC386 View Post
    I agree Justin, don't understand what the point of the iPad Mini is. I guess Apple's research tells them differently, but I'm expecting this to be a sales bust.
    i really don't see a need for an ipad if you own a macbook and iphone...

would i like to have one? sure, why not, if it was a gift. but i don't see myself dishing out $400-500 for one. i'd rather use that money to go toward a new MBP.

and speaking of MBP's... why did they stop making the 17"? i have the early 2011 17" and i LOVE it. the screen size is just about perfect, seeing as i upgraded from a 13" MB.

but i can't ever see myself going down a size to 15" now that i've had the 17" awesomeness... a Retina 17" would be amazing.
    Old 10-16-2012, 02:09 PM   #71
    gravedigger07

DMB Hub Stubs: 6

My Tour Central Stats

I dont know how much longer Apple can hang on. Good company, good products, but for the price there are many superior products. I own two of their computers, and I will never buy another one.
    Old 10-16-2012, 02:11 PM   #72
    daveshookme
    Altuve wore a wire

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by gravedigger07 View Post
    I dont know how much longer Apple can hang on. Good company, good products, but for the price there are many superior products. I own two of their computers, and I will never buy another one.
    there are many, many people who don't share this view. They'll be around for a little while. My next phone will be an iPhone 4S with all likelihood and I'm looking at the iPad 2. I much prefer the Apple family than a hodgepodge of windows and android devices.
    Old 10-16-2012, 02:18 PM   #73
    gravedigger07

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by daveshookme View Post
    there are many, many people who don't share this view. They'll be around for a little while. My next phone will be an iPhone 4S with all likelihood and I'm looking at the iPad 2. I much prefer the Apple family than a hodgepodge of windows and android devices.
    Do you use Excel or Word very often?

When I send a document to someone using my apple, 50% of them are somehow corrupted. Not the case using microsoft programs...

Excel and word, when used effeciently and correctly, are the best two programs around.
    Old 10-16-2012, 02:18 PM   #74
    iMAC386
    BOOMER!

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    i really don't see a need for an ipad if you own a macbook and iphone...

would i like to have one? sure, why not, if it was a gift. but i don't see myself dishing out $400-500 for one. i'd rather use that money to go toward a new MBP.

and speaking of MBP's... why did they stop making the 17"? i have the early 2011 17" and i LOVE it. the screen size is just about perfect, seeing as i upgraded from a 13" MB.

but i can't ever see myself going down a size to 15" now that i've had the 17" awesomeness... a Retina 17" would be amazing.
    Apparently the 17" wasn't selling enough to justify keeping it. Instead it was easier to save money and consolidate their notebook line up and save money from the 17" production.

I used to think the same thing about the iPad, until I played with my parent's iPad for a while. I get the appeal now. I could see why someone would buy an iPhone, iPad, and MBP even though there's lots of crossovers. First world problems galore.

Quote:
    Whoa, did you really just say that? Their market share in computers/notebooks is increasing almost every quarter for years. They pretty much own the phone and tablet market, and while Android has a big share of phones too, it's split between tons of companies.

Price isn't stopping anyone from buying their products. Apple is going to be killing it until their philosophy stops and they stop producing high-quality products.
    Old 10-16-2012, 02:19 PM   #75
    iMAC386
    BOOMER!

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:

When I send a document to someone using my apple, 50% of them are somehow corrupted. Not the case using microsoft programs...

Excel and word, when used effeciently and correctly, are the best two programs around.
    Blame the user, not the programs or the OS. I have both the Mac Office 2011 and PC Office 2010 on my Macbook Pro, and never have any problems sending things between PCs and Macs.
    Old 10-16-2012, 02:23 PM   #76
    gravedigger07

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Apparently the 17" wasn't selling enough to justify keeping it. Instead it was easier to save money and consolidate their notebook line up and save money from the 17" production.

I used to think the same thing about the iPad, until I played with my parent's iPad for a while. I get the appeal now. I could see why someone would buy an iPhone, iPad, and MBP even though there's lots of crossovers. First world problems galore.

Whoa, did you really just say that? Their market share in computers/notebooks is increasing almost every quarter for years. They pretty much own the phone and tablet market, and while Android has a big share of phones too, it's split between tons of companies.

Price isn't stopping anyone from buying their products. Apple is going to be killing it until their philosophy stops and they stop producing high-quality products.
    Are you basing this off there big 15.03 increase today after a couple weeks of losses?
    Old 10-16-2012, 02:25 PM   #77
    LadyMadonna68

My Tour Central Stats

i'm betting he's basing it off of them being the most valuable company since the beginning of time.

but it could be your thing.
    Old 10-16-2012, 02:27 PM   #78
    daveshookme
    Altuve wore a wire

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:

Quote:
    Blame the user, not the programs or the OS. I have both the Mac Office 2011 and PC Office 2010 on my Macbook Pro, and never have any problems sending things between PCs and Macs.
    Yeah, this. I do use Word and excel pretty regularly on both platforms and have never once ran into an issue. Not saying it's you, maybe its the email client/mem stick or something, or perhaps the mac itself is corrupted, but it's not Apple's fault.

Quote:

http://appadvice.com/appnn/2012/10/h...nge-everything

That says otherwise for the tablet market (only 52% are iPads) and the Samsung Galaxy S3 is quickly gaining ground on the iPhone. Not saying Apple is losing ground, because the 5 is outselling the 4s and the iPad is still selling extremely well, and the mini will cut into the Kindle Fire's market share quite a bit merely because it's an Apple product.
    Old 10-16-2012, 02:28 PM   #79
    gravedigger07

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by LadyMadonna68 View Post
    i'm betting he's basing it off of them being the most valuable company since the beginning of time.

but it could be your thing.
    Tell me why they are "the most valuable company since the beginning of time".
    Old 10-16-2012, 02:29 PM   #80
    pathetic
    Liberate a solid set!

Shows Seen: 0

My Tour Central Stats

couple weeks of losses
    pathetic is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 10-16-2012, 02:38 PM   #81
    LadyMadonna68

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Tell me why they are "the most valuable company since the beginning of time".
    in august when they hit a market cap of $622 billion they were valued at more than any other company since the beginning of time.

i understand when you take inflation into account, i think ibm and microsoft had technically been up there as well.

hopefully Apple can 'hang on', the poor guys.
    Old 10-16-2012, 02:42 PM   #82
    gravedigger07

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by LadyMadonna68 View Post
    in august when they hit a market cap of $622 billion they were valued at more than any other company since the beginning of time.

i understand when you take inflation into account, i think ibm and microsoft had technically been up there as well.

hopefully Apple can 'hang on', the poor guys.
    I am not saying they are the poor guys at all. I just do not think outstanding growth and 10x projections can last forever. They do have a lot of cash to toss around and great products--yes. They will not be able to control the market forever is all I am saying.
    Old 10-16-2012, 02:47 PM   #83
    LadyMadonna68

My Tour Central Stats

well, yeah i think you're absolutely right on that. there's no way they're going to have a decade of expansion like they had last decade. controlling the market is tough for any company, but apple has so many people wrapped up in their ecosystem, its not as easy to just drop their products and move on.
    Old 10-16-2012, 02:47 PM   #84
    lockman21
    Yandle Award 2014-15

Shows Seen: 240

DMB Hub Stubs: 32

My Tour Central Stats

I've been thinking about buying a MBP for a while now, figured I'd wait until they put a BD drive in them. I don't follow Apple too closely, and just realized that the new MBP with the Retina display...HAS NO OPTICAL DRIVE AT ALL.

How idiotic. Who in their right mind spends over $2,000 on a laptop that can't even install software from a disc, burn a CD, or play a DVD?
    Old 10-16-2012, 02:51 PM   #85
    justink

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by lockman21 View Post
    I've been thinking about buying a MBP for a while now, figured I'd wait until they put a BD drive in them. I don't follow Apple too closely, and just realized that the new MBP with the Retina display...HAS NO OPTICAL DRIVE AT ALL.

How idiotic. Who in their right mind spends over $2,000 on a laptop that can't even install software from a disc, burn a CD, or play a DVD?
    there will never be a BD in a macbook. possibly an imac, but i wouldn't count on it.

the optical drives take up a lot of valuable space in the macbooks. i've seen people remove the optical drives and install a second hard drive/ssd.

but yeah, they're ramping up the app store and itunes to do away with optical drives. they see the trend of everything going pure digital stream from the net/cloud.
    Old 10-16-2012, 02:54 PM   #86
    gravedigger07

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    there will never be a BD in a macbook. possibly an imac, but i wouldn't count on it.

the optical drives take up a lot of valuable space in the macbooks. i've seen people remove the optical drives and install a second hard drive/ssd.

but yeah, they're ramping up the app store and itunes to do away with optical drives. they see the trend of everything going pure digital stream from the net/cloud.
    Justin, are you a mac or pc guy? Sorry for not backreading haha
    Old 10-16-2012, 02:55 PM   #87
    lockman21
    Yandle Award 2014-15

Shows Seen: 240

DMB Hub Stubs: 32

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:

Valuable space? Explain this.
    Old 10-16-2012, 03:11 PM   #88
    iMAC386
    BOOMER!

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by daveshookme View Post
    http://appadvice.com/appnn/2012/10/h...nge-everything

That says otherwise for the tablet market (only 52% are iPads) and the Samsung Galaxy S3 is quickly gaining ground on the iPhone. Not saying Apple is losing ground, because the 5 is outselling the 4s and the iPad is still selling extremely well, and the mini will cut into the Kindle Fire's market share quite a bit merely because it's an Apple product.
    When one company has over 50% of the market versus tons of other companies making up the other 50% I think that's pretty close to owning the market. I take Android's market share with a grain of salt b/c it's not Google getting all that money, nor just one hardware distributor, whereas Apple is the single company making the up iPad's market share.

But I agree that both phones and tablets are becoming a more even playing ground. However I still think it's pretty impressive with all that aside, Apple is still increasing its market share with desktops and notebooks. It's amazing how much share/growth they're having in so many different product categories.
    Old 10-16-2012, 03:13 PM   #89
    justink

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Justin, are you a mac or pc guy? Sorry for not backreading haha
    i'm a mac

Quote:
    the reason the air is so thin and light is because there is no optical drive.

think of it this way... you could build a smaller garage if you didn't have to house an RV in it.

optical drives are nearly obsolete, and if you do need one, you can use an old computer to transfer the files or a cheap external. apple is just doing away with them altogether.
    Old 10-16-2012, 03:32 PM   #90
    DIDriveOut2SPAC
    American Aquarium Drnkr

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    optical drives are becoming archaic in laptops when cloud based services are being implemented across all platforms.

I havent used my macbooks drive since 2010 I think.

Tags
    apple , apple thread , ios , macbook , osx