DMB will win AOTY - Page 3 - Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion
Old 01-22-2010, 04:05 PM   #61
awsomepath

Shows Seen: 7

DMB Hub Stubs: 5

My Tour Central Stats

Re: DMB will win AOTY

i personally hope they don't win it...they don't need that crap...never have, never will...fuck that mainstream bullshit

• Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here
  • Old 01-22-2010, 04:15 PM   #62
    rickyh24
    GOAT

Shows Seen: 76

DMB Hub Stubs: 25

My Tour Central Stats

^ that's a great way to look at it.
    Old 01-22-2010, 08:44 PM   #63
    bigeyefish22
    I fucking hate it here

Shows Seen: 17

DMB Hub Stubs: 14

My Tour Central Stats

gold jacket, green jacket...
    Old 01-22-2010, 10:21 PM   #64
    jps4277

Shows Seen: 37

DMB Hub Stubs: 13

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by 2stepnmonkey View Post
    That would be the single greatest thing to happen at the Grammy's...seeing that douchbag unconscious on the stage hahaha
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Upstge View Post
    And Boyd cold-cocks him to a standing ovation.
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Australian Baby View Post
    I just can't wait until DMB comes on stage to collect their hardware at the ceremony, and out comes Kanye West:

"Hey Dave, Leroi and BWATGGK are great and all... but Beyonce had like, one of the best albums of all time!"
    Get it right. Rashawn will just eat him.
    Old 01-23-2010, 11:09 AM   #65
    avsfan
    YO!

Shows Seen: 121

DMB Hub Stubs: 27

My Tour Central Stats

its almost certainly going to green day

i dont know what it is, but everytime we get back here. this is our favorite place to play...... D.J.M 8.31.02
    http://www.facebook.com/dmb41
    http://dl.dropbox.com/u/17880535/alpine_seating.pdf
    Old 01-23-2010, 12:35 PM   #66
    antsman41
    Nolan dangles minds...

Location: Center Ice at The Xcel Energy Center; but seriously... Minneapolis, MN

Shows Seen: 21

DMB Hub Stubs: 10

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by avsfan View Post
    its almost certainly going to green day
    only if it was dookie or nimrod. there new album is fuckin terrible...
    Old 01-23-2010, 12:40 PM   #67
    bantam

Shows Seen: 0

DMB Hub Stubs: 1

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by antsman41 View Post
    yeah green day's album was a major let down... its like they went half of the way and said screw it.
    Old 01-23-2010, 06:30 PM   #68
    bayou_captain

Shows Seen: 59

DMB Hub Stubs: 23

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by bantam View Post
    yeah green day's album was a major let down... its like they went half of the way and said screw it.
    I'm kind of split on the whole Green Day thing. I actually saw them back in 1994 at a tiny club in Cali. That was the shit. But then I saw them again last year and they put on a hell of a show. It was a spectacle. Even if you didn't like the music, the show itself was entertaining. Personally, I like 21st Century Breakdown. Its not their best but they still did a very good job. The best song is probably the opening title track with Song of the Century. Seeing that open that show was epic.
    Old 01-24-2010, 09:21 AM   #69
    avsfan
    YO!

Shows Seen: 121

DMB Hub Stubs: 27

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by antsman41 View Post
    yes, but its not up to us either. industry people love it

i dont know what it is, but everytime we get back here. this is our favorite place to play...... D.J.M 8.31.02
    http://www.facebook.com/dmb41
    http://dl.dropbox.com/u/17880535/alpine_seating.pdf
    Old 01-24-2010, 12:25 PM   #70
    KevinTH
    KevinTH5

Shows Seen: 33

DMB Hub Stubs: 16

My Tour Central Stats

sorry dude...hate to say it but the award is going to gaga. she has been all over the music scene this year. between her album being a huge hit and the controversy she creates for being a fucking weirdo it's in the bag for her. i mean she's been on 20/20 and oprah in the past week...she's huge right now and has basically already won. dmb have not even come close to making that big a splash with big whiskey. big whiskey has pretty much not done anything this year. i hear funny and why i am from time to time on the radio but nothing like the amount you hear lady gaga. i wish it were not that way but it's just how it is. dmb will continue to be a huge live act but as far as their album sales and radio hits, that flame has been put out. what made dmb so great and so huge was that they were so different than everyone else. dmb's biggest mistake was starting to write music that would work on the radio...i understand their thinking, "o if we have more radio hits we'll be more popular"...WRONG. i have heard so many people that aren't huge fans that say they don't like their new stuff, that it's too poppy. "i like their old stuff. it really stood out and was different". not the case anymore unfortunately.
    Old 01-24-2010, 01:34 PM   #71
    DJGeneral
    The GENERAL

Shows Seen: 3

DMB Hub Stubs: 2

My Tour Central Stats

No...
    Old 01-24-2010, 01:36 PM   #72
    bayou_captain

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by KevinTH5 View Post
    sorry dude...hate to say it but the award is going to gaga. she has been all over the music scene this year. between her album being a huge hit and the controversy she creates for being a fucking weirdo it's in the bag for her. i mean she's been on 20/20 and oprah in the past week...she's huge right now and has basically already won. dmb have not even come close to making that big a splash with big whiskey. big whiskey has pretty much not done anything this year. i hear funny and why i am from time to time on the radio but nothing like the amount you hear lady gaga. i wish it were not that way but it's just how it is. dmb will continue to be a huge live act but as far as their album sales and radio hits, that flame has been put out. what made dmb so great and so huge was that they were so different than everyone else. dmb's biggest mistake was starting to write music that would work on the radio...i understand their thinking, "o if we have more radio hits we'll be more popular"...WRONG. i have heard so many people that aren't huge fans that say they don't like their new stuff, that it's too poppy. "i like their old stuff. it really stood out and was different". not the case anymore unfortunately.
    As my Calculus teacher once said, "Sorry No!"
    Old 01-24-2010, 02:16 PM   #73
    KevinTH
    KevinTH5

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by bayou_captain View Post
    As my Calculus teacher once said, "Sorry No!"
    "sorry no" what? not saying i like lady gaga just a fact man. she is everywhere right now and is doing shit that gets attention from fans, critics and non-fans. i believe that truly has an effect on the grammy. dmb just does not have the same effect on the music world as they did 10 or 12 years ago. they're not as popular anymore.
    Old 01-24-2010, 03:09 PM   #74
    bayou_captain

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    "sorry no" what? not saying i like lady gaga just a fact man. she is everywhere right now and is doing shit that gets attention from fans, critics and non-fans. i believe that truly has an effect on the grammy. dmb just does not have the same effect on the music world as they did 10 or 12 years ago. they're not as popular anymore.
    If you would actually backread and know what you're talking about, you would know that DMB has the best chance of winning. Lady Gaga is probably the least likely to win.
    Old 01-24-2010, 10:54 PM   #75
    DMBzilla
    tour.

Shows Seen: 193

DMB Hub Stubs: 36

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by rutherm124 View Post
    unfortunately musical quality doesn't get recognition anymore......if it did bands like bela fleck and robert randolph would be much more recognized. Unfortunately people dont appreciate the skill it takes to create the sounds these people do and be able to replicate it live. But as I read somewhere else....I don't need to see them win a grammy to realize this, although it would make me completely ecstatic.....especially for roi's sake.
    Bela Fleck has won 9 Grammys, and has been nominated in more unique categories than any other artist in the history of the award.

Randolph, meanwhile, has been nominated 4 times.
    Old 01-24-2010, 11:00 PM   #76
    DMBzilla
    tour.

Shows Seen: 193

DMB Hub Stubs: 36

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by kydmb99 View Post
    I personally couldn't care less. If DMB had made an album that went back to their roots and had that unique, original sound, it probably wouldn't have been nominated.. Typically, it's decent mainstream stuff that gets these awards... I don't dislike BW but it pretty much fits the bill IMO..
    Not entirely true if you look at the recent list of winners.

2009 - Robert Plant & Alison Krauss, Raising Sand
    2008 - Herbie Hancock, River: The Joni Letters
    2007 - Dixie Chicks, Taking the Long Way
    2006 - U2, How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb
    2005 - Ray Charles, Genius Loves Company
    2004 - Norah Jones, Come Away With Me
    2003 - O Brother Where Art Thou? Soundtrack

Of that list, I would say that only the Dixie Chick and U2 were "mainstream" when they won the award. Mainstream stuff certainly gets nominated, but honestly based on the last couple years I think DMB has an excellent chance to come out on top here.
    Old 01-24-2010, 11:03 PM   #77
    jaymas9

Shows Seen: 27

DMB Hub Stubs: 12

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    You know their last 5 albums have debuted #1 on the charts right? I love when people try to downplay dmb's popularity, I don't get it, but it is enjoyable. They are immensely popular, they have a platinum album every time they make one, even if it isn't good, they still move sales in a time when cd's are a dying medium, they have one of the most popular live shows every summer. Everyone knows who they are. A bunch of middle to old aged white guys vote on this stuff. DMB has just as much of a shot if not better than anyone else up for AOTY
    Old 01-25-2010, 11:36 AM   #78
    DJGeneral
    The GENERAL

Shows Seen: 3

DMB Hub Stubs: 2

My Tour Central Stats

^^^^^^
    Old 01-25-2010, 12:39 PM   #79
    Sniper15

Shows Seen: 115

DMB Hub Stubs: 29

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    You're an idiot pal
    Old 01-27-2010, 11:24 AM   #80
    CapnHani06
    JMU Duuuuuuuuukes

Shows Seen: 21

DMB Hub Stubs: 8

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by VivaMonkeyMan View Post
    Yeah, but the Grammies are infamous for dissing DMB, and even Roi. This will either be a nod of good faith, or another smack in the face. Well, this time it would be more like a back-hand.
    the bolded isn't true...just the once, really, and really only to DMB and its fans. if you count not even being nominated a diss then yes, but Dave's won in the past and i don't think the grammys have ever blatantly dissed DMB.

i will concede that snubbing Roi wasn't a minor offense, but come on...they're not out to get DMB.
    - Sean
    Old 01-27-2010, 11:36 AM   #81
    hmich176
    SarcMark(TM)

Shows Seen: 13

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by CapnHani06 View Post
    the bolded isn't true...just the once, really, and really only to DMB and its fans. if you count not even being nominated a diss then yes, but Dave's won in the past and i don't think the grammys have ever blatantly dissed DMB.

i will concede that snubbing Roi wasn't a minor offense, but come on...they're not out to get DMB.
    Additionally, Dave has done stuff with the Grammy's since the snub. Him and Cavallo did that hour long interview-discussion and Dave's doing the Grammy honor event for Neil Young.

It's about time people finally get over the snub. I don't think the Grammy's outrighlty were doing anything to target the band by snubbing LeRoi. Sounds like someone made a bad decision and the Grammy's PR didn't know how to handle the situation. Kinda like how MusicToday can't handle much of anything and overcharge us at the same time!
    Old 01-27-2010, 02:42 PM   #82
    laristarr77
    beautifullybrokenthings

Shows Seen: 28

My Tour Central Stats

I have faith I believe they will come away winners. I also believe that they do care if they win and they want to win. Even those that don't give a shit about what people think, still can't help but feel good about being recognized and honored for their work.
    "I want people to have a good time, however they go about it. And look after each other. Don't be a dick. I want them to think about the people next to them and to have a good time -- that's what I really want." DJM
    Old 01-27-2010, 06:47 PM   #83
    VivaMonkeyMan
    34#Captain SugarWill#41

Shows Seen: 0

DMB Hub Stubs: 1

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by jaymas9 View Post
    You know their last 5 albums have debuted #1 on the charts right? I love when people try to downplay dmb's popularity, I don't get it, but it is enjoyable. They are immensely popular, they have a platinum album every time they make one, even if it isn't good, they still move sales in a time when cd's are a dying medium, they have one of the most popular live shows every summer. Everyone knows who they are. A bunch of middle to old aged white guys vote on this stuff. DMB has just as much of a shot if not better than anyone else up for AOTY
    HA. word.
    Old 01-27-2010, 10:40 PM   #84
    KevinTH
    KevinTH5

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Sniper15 View Post
    You're an idiot pal
    not sure why i'm an idiot. i may be completely wrong, and i hope i am as far as who wins. but i stand behind my reasoning. if you have a difference in opinion then say so and explain why. don't just call me an idiot and and not stand for a reason as to why i am. it's a discussion board and i know my thoughts and opinions may be loved or just completely hated. but as stated, it's a discussion board tell me why.

i do enjoy coming on ants and talking about our favorite band. mainly because i can't have these kinds of conversations with my friends who aren't as nuts about them as i am. but what drives me nuts is when people state their opinion and they're either made fun of or they and their intelligence are insulted because someone disagrees with them. argue, fight and disagree but quit the fucking insults.

i have been a fan for about 15 years. does that make me better or worse? no. my point being is that you can't be so jaded as to who wins an award like this just because dmb is your favorite band. they're my favorite band too. i want them to win wicked bad. but i truly feel that this weirdo lady gaga is going to take it just because of how huge she is in the music industry and the media. i haven't checked the numbers but my guess is that her album sales and radio play are far greater than that of big whiskey's.
    Old 01-27-2010, 10:59 PM   #85
    KevinTH
    KevinTH5

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by jaymas9 View Post
    as far as the albums debuting at #1...touche. but i'm sorry i've been around for a while, and yes the overall popularity for dmb in the mainstream market has dwindled. they may be the top touring act but they are just not as popular as they were 12 years ago. i don't know how old you are or how long you have been a fan but in comparison to when i was a fan in 98 and being a fan now...the amount of dmb fans i know are not as abundant and not the same as they were. sure i still **** into fans of dmb but not people that are psyched about the new music or even know they have a new album. if i know or run into a fan now it's someone that is a fan of the big 3 plus busted stuff and maybe a song or two off everyday. i don't know anyone that is a fan of dmb post 2002.

i don't even know why i argue my point. you all are either set in your thoughts or think i'm an "idiot". i love dmb more than any band i ever have and always will...but i am realistic and know that they are not as popular a band as they used to be. and unless they release something that could come close to the big 3 (lillywhite sessions/busted stuff) then they will remain a popular touring act that can still debut at #1 from time to time. just beacuse they debut at #1 doesn't mean that album has any real power behind it. they may debut at #1 and then be completely forgotten 2 weeks later. the mainstream is fickle.

here's to dmb winning the award. it would be an incredible win for them. sorry to even suggest they wouldn't. apparently it's just an outrage to have said that they won't win.
    Old 01-28-2010, 12:39 AM   #86
    TwoStep2888

Shows Seen: 7

My Tour Central Stats

Lady Gaga deserves it far more than DMB.
    Old 01-28-2010, 01:15 AM   #87
    dsmith45
    MM #56

Shows Seen: 36

DMB Hub Stubs: 17

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by TwoStep2888 View Post
    agreed
    Old 01-28-2010, 06:26 AM   #88
    MistreatedLewis

Shows Seen: 17

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by TwoStep2888 View Post
    Really? I haven't heard the album. Is the music really that much better?
    Old 01-28-2010, 06:54 AM   #89
    hbktonyb
    6 time SetlistGameChamp

Shows Seen: 98

DMB Hub Stubs: 32

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by DMBzilla View Post
    Not entirely true if you look at the recent list of winners.

2009 - Robert Plant & Alison Krauss, Raising Sand
    2008 - Herbie Hancock, River: The Joni Letters
    2007 - Dixie Chicks, Taking the Long Way
    2006 - U2, How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb
    2005 - Ray Charles, Genius Loves Company
    2004 - Norah Jones, Come Away With Me
    2003 - O Brother Where Art Thou? Soundtrack

Of that list, I would say that only the Dixie Chick and U2 were "mainstream" when they won the award. Mainstream stuff certainly gets nominated, but honestly based on the last couple years I think DMB has an excellent chance to come out on top here.
    Based on this, I'd say they have a pretty good chance.

GORGE 08
    Old 01-28-2010, 09:22 AM   #90
    eggsrsweet

Shows Seen: 47

DMB Hub Stubs: 18

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    not sure why i'm an idiot. i may be completely wrong, and i hope i am as far as who wins. but i stand behind my reasoning. if you have a difference in opinion then say so and explain why. don't just call me an idiot and and not stand for a reason as to why i am. it's a discussion board and i know my thoughts and opinions may be loved or just completely hated. but as stated, it's a discussion board tell me why.

i do enjoy coming on ants and talking about our favorite band. mainly because i can't have these kinds of conversations with my friends who aren't as nuts about them as i am. but what drives me nuts is when people state their opinion and they're either made fun of or they and their intelligence are insulted because someone disagrees with them. argue, fight and disagree but quit the fucking insults.

i have been a fan for about 15 years. does that make me better or worse? no. my point being is that you can't be so jaded as to who wins an award like this just because dmb is your favorite band. they're my favorite band too. i want them to win wicked bad. but i truly feel that this weirdo lady gaga is going to take it just because of how huge she is in the music industry and the media. i haven't checked the numbers but my guess is that her album sales and radio play are far greater than that of big whiskey's.
    We don't think you're an idiot because of you're opinion. Its just the reasoning you use to back up is false.