Are We Brainwashed? - Page 2 - Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion
Old 06-14-2009, 08:26 PM   #31
mattyk72
Soul Singing

Shows Seen: 31

DMB Hub Stubs: 12

My Tour Central Stats

Re: Are We Brainwashed?

I think some people are thinking way too hard about this. It's a good album regardless of what has come before.

• Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here
  • Old 06-14-2009, 08:35 PM   #32
    hungryjack75

Shows Seen: 7

DMB Hub Stubs: 7

My Tour Central Stats

The problem with Everyday & Stand up is they were overproduced. I did not care much for either one when released....but the band gave the songs life in concert. I think there are many great songs from both of those albums...just be sure to listen to the live versions.
    Old 06-14-2009, 09:55 PM   #33
    ShotgunDMB

Shows Seen: 0

DMB Hub Stubs: 1

My Tour Central Stats

Busted Stuff is good.
    Everyday is a good pop album.
    Big Whiskey is good.

Stand Up is lifeless.
    Old 06-14-2009, 10:17 PM   #34
    bmt322

Shows Seen: 28

DMB Hub Stubs: 14

My Tour Central Stats

Can people please stop putting Busted Stuff in the same category as Everyday and Stand Up. Busted Stuff is a GREAT record, in my opinion of course. It is way better. I love the sound the band had in 2002. You can clearly hear every instrument in Busted Stuff.

And no, we are not brainwashed. BWGK is a great album. If we have any doubts right now, it could be because we aren't used to the new sound yet. I am not even used to the new sound yet, but I know it's a great album. If an album has songs that move me, it is good. BWGK has these songs, in fact, every DMB album has these songs. Even Stand Up's ABI does, but that doesn't count, because Stand Up is not good.
    Old 06-14-2009, 10:19 PM   #35
    bmt322

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ShotgunDMB View Post
    Busted Stuff is good.
    Big Whiskey is good.

Stand Up is lifeless.
    Old 06-14-2009, 10:19 PM   #36
    dmaul1114

Shows Seen: 23

DMB Hub Stubs: 9

My Tour Central Stats

I agree. Busted Stuff is very good. I actually prefer it to LWS personally. Some of the lyric changes I didn't like, but the songs overall sound better, and I didn't much care for the couple of songs that didn't make it over.
    Shows Attended: 6/15/96; 6/3/98; 5/9/99; 6/4/99; 8/2/02; 8/3/02; 7/14/04; 6/26/05; 6/24/06; 6/28/08; 6/19/09; 6/20/09; 7/27/10; 5/22/12; 12/11/12; 4/7/13; 5/24/14; 5/30/15; 5/28/16; 5/31/17; 5/26/18; 7/27/21; 5/21/22
    Old 06-14-2009, 10:42 PM   #37
    bmt322

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by dmaul1114 View Post
    I agree. Busted Stuff is very good. I actually prefer it to LWS personally. Some of the lyric changes I didn't like, but the songs overall sound better, and I didn't much care for the couple of songs that didn't make it over.
    I wish Monkey Man could've made it, but then again, I love the way it was left on tLWS. I just love the way the band sounds on Busted Stuff. It's just the 5 of them and they all conquer equally.
    Old 06-14-2009, 10:45 PM   #38
    aoeiifreak

My Tour Central Stats

I wouldn't call it brainwashing, but it's only human to appreciate good music maybe a little too avidly after the likes of ED and SU. If this were made right after Crash, people would be flipping their shit, but at this point in the band's career BWGK might be the best possible outcome.
    Old 06-14-2009, 10:51 PM   #39
    jaymas9

Shows Seen: 27

My Tour Central Stats

Nah. I think the opposite could be applied as well. They released some material that was subpar making us very, very critical, leaving us in a situation to really analyze. That said, I don't think either extreme really applies. I think as a whole DMB's bad albums have not been that well recieved among the hardcore fanbase and the good ones have been. So far the treatment of this one is good. I think it is solid evidence we have a good album. It ranks number four with me, and that is fine....honestly I think it going to be the beginning of another chain of albums whether that be one or two more. And I think the next one will be better than this one.

Last edited by jaymas9; 06-14-2009 at 10:52 PM.
    Old 06-15-2009, 05:54 AM   #40
    inmytree

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by bmt322 View Post
    Can people please stop putting Busted Stuff in the same category as Everyday and Stand Up.
    That's a ridiculous assertion, that BS is on par with those two albums. Even if they did just come in and press play then go home, Busted Stuff has Busted Stuff (the song), Grey Street, You Never Know, Raven, Grace Is Gone, Digging a Ditch and Bartender. I get the whole "there's not as much emotion as the LWS" and "the songs are worse!" I get all of that, but to say that that group of songs doesn't kick the crap out of anything on Everyday and Stand Up is crazy.
    Old 06-15-2009, 06:49 AM   #41
    Beebz
    Tinnitus Victim

Shows Seen: 10

DMB Hub Stubs: 6

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by hungryjack75 View Post
    The problem with Everyday & Stand up is they were overproduced. I did not care much for either one when released....but the band gave the songs life in concert. I think there are many great songs from both of those albums...just be sure to listen to the live versions.
    Old 06-15-2009, 06:50 AM   #42
    Beebz
    Tinnitus Victim

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ShotgunDMB View Post
    Busted Stuff is good.
    Big Whiskey is good.

Stand Up is lifeless.
    Everyday is a toilet-clogging turd. Other than that, we're fine.
    Old 06-15-2009, 07:06 AM   #43
    Panther41
    Since 1995

My Tour Central Stats

Here's the breakdown as I see it:

RT2 - First release, solidified the fanbase they were gathering at the start

UTTAD - First major label release, brought in a slew of new fans

Crash - First really big "pop" success, and a defining album for fans

BTCS - Culmination of their work with Lillywhite, a masterpiece, how do you follow this??

Lillywhite Sessions - Pressure to perform and personal issues took their toll on Dave, the sessions broke down

Everyday - Fly Dave out to L.A., put him with a major producer, make something that will sell; this was a patch job, an anomally, but a damn good one

Busted Stuff - What I consider the band's most intimate album, pure DMB roster, a necessary step to legitimize (and get credit for) the LWS material

Stand Up - First attempt at changing their sound and branching out into a new direction; terrible choice of a producer who didn't know how to capture the scope and depth of their stage sound; and, as we now know, a rough patch among the band members

Big Whiskey and The Groogrux King - The "don't call it a comeback!" comeback record. Newfound chemistry among the band members, a producer who knows how to get a big sound from a band that specializes in big sounds. This is the re-defining record that Stand Up should have been. This is DMB 2.0 and I, personally, freakin' love it.
    Old 06-15-2009, 07:11 AM   #44
    MistreatedLewis

Shows Seen: 17

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Can people please stop putting Busted Stuff in the same category as Everyday and Stand Up. Busted Stuff is a GREAT record, in my opinion of course. It is way better. I love the sound the band had in 2002. You can clearly hear every instrument in Busted Stuff.

And no, we are not brainwashed. BWGK is a great album. If we have any doubts right now, it could be because we aren't used to the new sound yet. I am not even used to the new sound yet, but I know it's a great album. If an album has songs that move me, it is good. BWGK has these songs, in fact, every DMB album has these songs. Even Stand Up's ABI does, but that doesn't count, because Stand Up is not good.
    Everyday is a better studio album than BS. BS, outside of a couple of tracks, is complete crap.

/opinion.
    Old 06-15-2009, 07:13 AM   #45
    MistreatedLewis

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by inmytree View Post
    That's a ridiculous assertion, that BS is on par with those two albums. Even if they did just come in and press play then go home, Busted Stuff has Busted Stuff (the song), Grey Street, You Never Know, Raven, Grace Is Gone, Digging a Ditch and Bartender. I get the whole "there's not as much emotion as the LWS" and "the songs are worse!" I get all of that, but to say that that group of songs doesn't kick the crap out of anything on Everyday and Stand Up is crazy.
    Explain to me what it is about the Busted Stuff versions of Raven, Big Eyed Fish, and Captain that do anything like kick the crap out of the studio versions of IIHIA, What You Are, and Sleep To Dream Her.
    Old 06-15-2009, 07:44 AM   #46
    sharibean

Shows Seen: 9

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    i really love busted stuff and to me it's closer to the big 3 than any of the other albums after BTCS. i definitely think that Monkey Man, JTR and SUAD should have made it onto the album and it would have been so much better for it, but they didn't and i love every song on BS except for WAYG and Raven (i realize i'm the minority here).

i don't count LWS as an album because it wasn't an album so it doesn't fall into my ranking. stand up is definitely at the bottom of my list.

i don't think we are brainwashed but i think that which each passing album we are realizing that we're probably never going to get another "big 3" album because the band that made those albums doesn't exist anymore. it's been 11 years since BTCS. the guys have all evolved and grown and had different life experiences which have shaped the music on Big Whiskey. that being said, there are jewels like SMLAM (my opinion) and Shotgun - so maybe we'll never get another amazing full studio album but this has never been a band that has been known only for its studio music. many of the songs that i love from them have never been recorded in the studio.

Last edited by sharibean; 06-15-2009 at 07:46 AM.
    Old 06-15-2009, 07:56 AM   #47
    vtshwheels77

Shows Seen: 13

My Tour Central Stats

I'm actually thinking the opposite, guys. If BWGK had come out after BTCS I guarantee that rather than complain about how Tim is all over the album people would have loved the "new direction." If anything, Everyday & Stand Up hurt Big Whiskey because it gave people the impression that DMB can never come out with another big album. Guess again. It would have been the Big 4 IMO.
    Everyday ruined #36 and attempted to ruin #41... Its a conspiracy...
    Old 06-15-2009, 07:58 AM   #48
    sharibean

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by vtshwheels77 View Post
    I'm actually thinking the opposite, guys. If BWGK had come out after BTCS I guarantee that rather than complain about how Tim is all over the album people would have loved the "new direction." If anything, Everyday & Stand Up hurt Big Whiskey because it gave people the impression that DMB can never come out with another big album. Guess again. It would have been the Big 4 IMO.
    interesting...
    Old 06-15-2009, 08:10 AM   #49
    Noles20
    Go Birds!

DMB Hub Stubs: 15

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by vtshwheels77 View Post
    I agree. ED and SU created a tendency to look for a problem with the music that didn't exist pre-ED. Message borads and the internet have magnified this tendency as well.
    Old 06-15-2009, 08:26 AM   #50
    Beebz
    Tinnitus Victim

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by MistreatedLewis View Post
    Explain to me what it is about the Busted Stuff versions of Raven, Big Eyed Fish, and Captain that do anything like kick the crap out of the studio versions of IIHIA, What You Are, and Sleep To Dream Her.
    Raven has finished lyrics, so I dont know if that was your best example. Big Eyed fish is fine. Captain sucks, we all know that. But I'll take Busted Stuff Captain over anything--anything--on Everyday.

The songs on Busted Stuff are so much better its disgusting. The production may be superior on Everyday, but that doesnt matter to me in the slightest. Everyday is a well-polished turd. Busted Stuff is a collection of great to above-average songs that were recorded in a less that perfect manner. BS wins in a landslide.
    Old 06-15-2009, 08:29 AM   #51
    MistreatedLewis

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by bbianca1982 View Post
    Raven has finished lyrics, so I dont know if that was your best example.
    Well, it is, because the finished lyrics are bad.

Quote:
    Big Eyed fish is fine.
    BEF is dreadfully boring. The thing that made the song stand out were the way the vocal harmonies inetrtwined with Boyd and Roi. That's completely gone. It's not exactlY Dave's most inventive guitar riff by itself.

Quote:
    Captain sucks, we all know that. But I'll take Busted Stuff Captain over anything--anything--on Everyday.
    Yes, but why? The song is bad. What makes it better than IIHIA or WYA?

Quote:
    The songs on Busted Stuff are so much better its disgusting. The production may be superior on Everyday, but that doesnt matter to me in the slightest. Everyday is a well-polished turd. Busted Stuff is a collection of great to above-average songs that were recorded in a less that perfect manner. BS wins in a landslide.
    And I'm asking you, what makes those particular songs that I mentioned better? Because I'm not seeing it on any level.
    Old 06-15-2009, 08:39 AM   #52
    Heavy As Stone
    My wife is hot.

Shows Seen: 13

DMB Hub Stubs: 5

My Tour Central Stats

To all busted stuff enthusiasts...

That record is an afterthought. Even to the band, it's just an afterthought. A few things were good on it, but it is in many ways just as lazy as Stand Up.

[/sarcasm]

Old 06-15-2009, 08:45 AM   #53
    sharibean

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Heavy As Stone View Post

That record is an afterthought. Even to the band, it's just an afterthought. A few things were good on it, but it is in many ways just as lazy as Stand Up.
    afterthought or not, i still love the songs and i think ALL of them are a million times better than anything on Stand Up.
    Old 06-15-2009, 08:47 AM   #54
    Noles20
    Go Birds!

DMB Hub Stubs: 15

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Heavy As Stone View Post

I've always wanted to be an enthusiast.
    Old 06-15-2009, 08:51 AM   #55
    Beebz
    Tinnitus Victim

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Well, it is, because the finished lyrics are bad.

BEF is dreadfully boring. The thing that made the song stand out were the way the vocal harmonies inetrtwined with Boyd and Roi. That's completely gone. It's not exactlY Dave's most inventive guitar riff by itself.

Yes, but why? The song is bad. What makes it better than IIHIA or WYA?

And I'm asking you, what makes those particular songs that I mentioned better? Because I'm not seeing it on any level.
    1. Disagree on the lyrics being bad. Especially when the comparison is anything from Everyday.

2. Big Eyed Fish was boring on Lillywhite. It certainly didnt get substantially worse on BS.

3. WYA and IIHIA are really bad. That's what makes it different to me. Captain, even the BS version, is a superior song than anything off of Everyday.

4. They are better in every fashion--Lyrically, musically, thematically. You name it, and BS is better. Everyday has no depth, no quality songs, no soul, and no band. Its production is superior. That's it. And that doesnt matter to me one bit when youre talking about an album full of terrible songs.
    Old 06-15-2009, 08:54 AM   #56
    MistreatedLewis

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    1. Disagree on the lyrics being bad. Especially when the comparison is anything from Everyday.
    Explain to me what makes the lyrics to Raven better than the lyrics to IIHIA.

Quote:
    2. Big Eyed Fish was boring on Lillywhite. It certainly didnt get substantially worse on BS.
    i already explained why it got substantially worse. You can disagree, but it would be nice if you could at least offer a counterargument.

Quote:
    3. WYA and IIHIA are really bad. That's what makes it different to me. Captain, even the BS version, is a superior song than anything off of Everyday.
    And I ask AGAIN - what makes them bad?

Quote:
    4. They are better in every fashion--Lyrically, musically, thematically. You name it, and BS is better. Everyday has no depth, no quality songs, no soul, and no band. Its production is superior. That's it. And that doesnt matter to me one bit when youre talking about an album full of terrible songs.
    And I ask again - what makes the songs I mentioned better musically and lyrically on BS?
    Old 06-15-2009, 09:22 AM   #57
    jaymas9

My Tour Central Stats

Busted Stuff is a great collection of songs. As an album, it is a complete, unemotional, afterthought. The shame is that that collection of songs should have been given better final studio treatment.
    Old 06-15-2009, 09:23 AM   #58
    GoLdpHiShDMB
    Broad St. Bullies

DMB Hub Stubs: 13

My Tour Central Stats

i love the new cd.
    Old 06-15-2009, 09:27 AM   #59
    Beebz
    Tinnitus Victim

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Explain to me what makes the lyrics to Raven better than the lyrics to IIHIA.

i already explained why it got substantially worse. You can disagree, but it would be nice if you could at least offer a counterargument.

And I ask AGAIN - what makes them bad?

And I ask again - what makes the songs I mentioned better musically and lyrically on BS?
    Nevermind. It wont make a bit of difference, and I have other stuff to do.

The best I can say is this--The Everyday songs are shallow, mediocre, lazy pop songs that contain nothing resembling quality music. They are lyrically, musically, and thematically juvenile, while the Busted Stuff songs attempt --and largely succeed--to recapture the sound and weight of DMB's better work.
    Old 06-15-2009, 09:30 AM   #60
    MistreatedLewis

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Nevermind. It wont make a bit of difference, and I have other stuff to do.

The best I can say is this--The Everyday songs are shallow, mediocre, lazy pop songs that contain nothing resembling quality music. They are lyrically, musically, and thematically juvenile, while the Busted Stuff songs attempt --and largely succeed--to recapture the sound and weight of DMB's better work.
    Ok, then we'll agree to disagree.