Stefan's Twitter - Page 116 - Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion

Go Back   Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion > General Discussion > DMBc Discussion
Register Rules Community Top Lists Torrents AM.org

Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here

Old 10-27-2016, 08:47 AM   #3451
RSSR
Nancies.org, always.

Shows Seen: 11

DMB Hub Stubs: 8

My Tour Central Stats

Re: Stefan's Twitter

Dave, Carter, and LeRoi doing their own things by themselves all would've achieved some form of success, but no where near what DMB together has achieved.

Then again, Dave did pick up songwriting tips from Peter Griesar, and probably some from LeRoi, additionally.

I don't have to ask how Peter Griesar would've done, but in his defense, he didn't want the notoriety.
RSSR is offline   Reply With Quote

• Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here
  • Old 10-27-2016, 01:16 PM   #3452
    KevinTH
    KevinTH5

Shows Seen: 33

DMB Hub Stubs: 16

My Tour Central Stats

The only person that had really achieved any notable success at that point, and may have continued on that path, was Carter. At some point he played kit for some backing band on BET. Beyond that, Boyd and Roi were in their own bands and popular in the Charlottesville area. However, I'm not confident that Secrets or The Boyd Tinsley Band would have gone much further than where they already were. And we all know that Dave was only a bartender when he introduced himself to Carter and Roi.

What made all of them successful was a combination of things. Perfect yet weird blend of personalities and instruments, solid management and marketing, hard work and determination, and great music. In my eyes they all won the lottery when they formed. We have living proof of what the band would sound like if one member were no longer a part of it. With the passing of Roi the band's sound changed immensely. So look at this in reverse, and what if Dave never meets Carter and Roi to kick things off? Or there was no violin on Tripping Billies because Roi wasn't there to suggest Boyd play on it (hold on the Boyd jokes - there was a day when he was on top of his game)? Maybe Dave would have found some other people to play with and would have been successful, but I'd lean towards not, or at least not to the degree of success he reached.

Dave has a unique songwriting ability and a unique guitar style, but without Carter Beauford behind him taking things to new heights, or the strange mixture of saxophone and violin I don't know how his songs would stand out in the way they do now. On top of that, they are all contributing members to the songwriting. Sure, most of the time Dave comes up with the initial song for them to build off of, but without those perfect elements and contributions from Boyd, Roi, Stefan and Carter the songs don't stand out and become what they have. One of the biggest contributing factors to their success is that they WERE so strange and different, but they also played well live. On top of that, a lot of songs never would have been written if it weren't for the 5 of them. Drive In Drive Out is a great example. Without Carter that song never happens. Dave once said that he wrote that song for Carter to go nuts on. Granted Dave's songs speak for themselves now, but without the push of his 4 buddies, he may not have become the songwriter he became. Throw in that bizarre mixture of people and instruments and those songs take on a whole new life.

Either way, they met, they meshed, they got famous and now here we are talking about them day after day. Being the fan I am, I'd say we all won the lottery, as I don't know what life would be like without their incredible music in it.
    KevinTH is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 10-27-2016, 03:04 PM   #3453
    ToySoldier#34

Shows Seen: 37

DMB Hub Stubs: 18

My Tour Central Stats

Sold post, John D'Earth should get some credit too for the addition of Stefan and pushing Dave to develop his ability to have great song intros
    ToySoldier#34 is online now   Reply With Quote
    Old 10-27-2016, 03:22 PM   #3454
    RSSR
    Nancies.org, always.

My Tour Central Stats

It is ridiculously bonkers hard to create songs that become hit songs. Dave has dozens of times done that with us, so maybe if he was in another band with different line-up of band mates, he might still have achieved fame and success, maybe to a lesser degree that he has DMB. People with Dave's ear for melodies and his almost completely original take of the rhythmic acoustic guitar don't come along that often, and are in fact quite rare in the grand scheme of things.

There are lots people of people every bit as good as Tim Reynolds working in guitar shops all over the country, they just never found a person with Dave's talents.
    Old 10-27-2016, 03:30 PM   #3455
    KevinTH
    KevinTH5

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by RSSR View Post
    It is ridiculously bonkers hard to create songs that become hit songs. Dave has dozens of times done that with us, so maybe if he was in another band with different line-up of band mates, he might still have achieved fame and success, maybe to a lesser degree that he has DMB. People with Dave's ear for melodies and his almost completely original take of the rhythmic acoustic guitar don't come along that often, and are in fact quite rare in the grand scheme of things.

There are lots people of people every bit as good as Tim Reynolds working in guitar shops all over the country, they just never found a person with Dave's talents.
    What you said about Tim can be said about Dave too. There are thousands and thousands of amazing songwriters all over the world that you and I will never hear. It's not because they're not good, but because the right formula wasn't in place. Dave's songs are great, but how would Ants Marching or Satellite sound with a completely different backing band? Those are great songs but with a more straight forward basic drummer, no sax and violin, those songs change completely. If that were the case then Dave could have gone completely unnoticed because the people backing him didn't do anything to make the songs more interesting. Without the other 4 original members there is no Big 3. It's the collaboration of all of them that made them what they are today.
    Old 10-27-2016, 05:22 PM   #3456
    ToySoldier#34

My Tour Central Stats

I think the thing I like the most about Dave's songwriting, when he is at his peak anyway, is that he comes up with melodies and ties together different rhythms in a way where it is interesting regardless of the format it is being played in. I've always thought his songs sound so full when it's just him playing them, I listen to his solo stuff constantly but was reminded of this ability again when Sweet Briar came out. The band absolutely helps add dynamics to the songs and they have gotten to where they are because they compliment each other so well, but when the songs are in their most basic form it's amazing to me how complete they are.
    Old 10-27-2016, 05:30 PM   #3457
    misschung

Shows Seen: 6

DMB Hub Stubs: 7

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ToySoldier#34 View Post
    I think the thing I like the most about Dave's songwriting, when he is at his peak anyway, is that he comes up with melodies and ties together different rhythms in a way where it is interesting regardless of the format it is being played in. I've always thought his songs sound so full when it's just him playing them, I listen to his solo stuff constantly but was reminded of this ability again when Sweet Briar came out. The band absolutely helps add dynamics to the songs and they have gotten to where they are because they compliment each other so well, but when the songs are in their most basic form it's amazing to me how complete they are.
    It's incredible to sort of listen to his music in reverse, if you will. When I hear him play solo, in my mind I can hear the other instrumental parts because I'm so familiar with them. It's the same, to a lesser extent, when he plays with Tim. But when you realize the fullness that's already there before any of the other instruments are added in, it really is incredible.
    Old 10-27-2016, 05:36 PM   #3458
    ToySoldier#34

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by misschung View Post
    It's incredible to sort of listen to his music in reverse, if you will. When I hear him play solo, in my mind I can hear the other instrumental parts because I'm so familiar with them. It's the same, to a lesser extent, when he plays with Tim. But when you realize the fullness that's already there before any of the other instruments are added in, it really is incredible.

Absolutely, I do wonder sometimes if stuff like the One Sweet World intro was taught to him by Tim but the stuff Dave has come up with is pretty crazy. Not crazy hard, just creative and full. The entire Two Step jam is playing around with one chord.
    Old 10-27-2016, 05:42 PM   #3459
    KevinTH
    KevinTH5

My Tour Central Stats

Both really cool points. I just think it happened the way it was supposed to. I'm not a big "everything happens for a reason" type thinker, but what ever happened to get those 5 guys together (not including Peter Greisar) was perfect in so many ways.
    Old 10-28-2016, 03:02 AM   #3460
    bartender_man

Shows Seen: 35

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by KevinTH View Post
    The only person that had really achieved any notable success at that point, and may have continued on that path, was Carter. At some point he played kit for some backing band on BET. Beyond that, Boyd and Roi were in their own bands and popular in the Charlottesville area. However, I'm not confident that Secrets or The Boyd Tinsley Band would have gone much further than where they already were. And we all know that Dave was only a bartender when he introduced himself to Carter and Roi.

What made all of them successful was a combination of things. Perfect yet weird blend of personalities and instruments, solid management and marketing, hard work and determination, and great music. In my eyes they all won the lottery when they formed. We have living proof of what the band would sound like if one member were no longer a part of it. With the passing of Roi the band's sound changed immensely. So look at this in reverse, and what if Dave never meets Carter and Roi to kick things off? Or there was no violin on Tripping Billies because Roi wasn't there to suggest Boyd play on it (hold on the Boyd jokes - there was a day when he was on top of his game)? Maybe Dave would have found some other people to play with and would have been successful, but I'd lean towards not, or at least not to the degree of success he reached.

Dave has a unique songwriting ability and a unique guitar style, but without Carter Beauford behind him taking things to new heights, or the strange mixture of saxophone and violin I don't know how his songs would stand out in the way they do now. On top of that, they are all contributing members to the songwriting. Sure, most of the time Dave comes up with the initial song for them to build off of, but without those perfect elements and contributions from Boyd, Roi, Stefan and Carter the songs don't stand out and become what they have. One of the biggest contributing factors to their success is that they WERE so strange and different, but they also played well live. On top of that, a lot of songs never would have been written if it weren't for the 5 of them. Drive In Drive Out is a great example. Without Carter that song never happens. Dave once said that he wrote that song for Carter to go nuts on. Granted Dave's songs speak for themselves now, but without the push of his 4 buddies, he may not have become the songwriter he became. Throw in that bizarre mixture of people and instruments and those songs take on a whole new life.

Either way, they met, they meshed, they got famous and now here we are talking about them day after day. Being the fan I am, I'd say we all won the lottery, as I don't know what life would be like without their incredible music in it.

That's actually a pretty good post outside of the bolded.
    Old 10-28-2016, 06:00 AM   #3461
    KevinTH
    KevinTH5

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by bartender_man View Post
    That's actually a pretty good post outside of the bolded.
    To clarify, I meant solid management and marketing in the early years. Capshaw's approach to getting the band exposure was rather on point. Nowadays it's all about money and business. It is a business now, so I get it, but there are certainly things they can be doing better. However, they have been getting much better with Live Trax releases, so that's a plus.
    Old 10-28-2016, 07:03 AM   #3462
    Dramageek
    Zounds!

Shows Seen: 56

DMB Hub Stubs: 26

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    To clarify, I meant solid management and marketing in the early years. Capshaw's approach to getting the band exposure was rather on point. Nowadays it's all about money and business. It is a business now, so I get it, but there are certainly things they can be doing better. However, they have been getting much better with Live Trax releases, so that's a plus.
    They actually seemed to have a great plan in place when Cap$haw initially started working with them. Him giving the band weekly shows at Trax and Flood Zone helped immensely. Then there's the taping policy, their early touring, they seemed to do it exactly right. That's one of the things I love about their story.

Yeah, time went on, the Internet happened, social media happened, and the management team got completely clueless. But they were pretty great at the start.
    Dramageek is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 10-28-2016, 07:15 AM   #3463
    ToySoldier#34

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dramageek View Post
    They actually seemed to have a great plan in place when Cap$haw initially started working with them. Him giving the band weekly shows at Trax and Flood Zone helped immensely. Then there's the taping policy, their early touring, they seemed to do it exactly right. That's one of the things I love about their story.

Yeah, time went on, the Internet happened, social media happened, and the management team got completely clueless. But they were pretty great at the start.

.. was trying to figure out what having your wit go bankrupt had to do with DMB's management team for a second before I saw the line
    Old 10-28-2016, 08:51 AM   #3464
    #41Tom

Shows Seen: 16

DMB Hub Stubs: 6

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    This is bang on. We won so big!! So much music and so many good memories
    And the end of the world."
    #41Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 10-28-2016, 05:20 PM   #3465
    misschung

Shows Seen: 6

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dramageek View Post
    I don't really know much about the band's management, if any of you could shed some light on it. Was there much changeover throughout their career or was it just that they got lazy?
    Old 10-28-2016, 11:10 PM   #3466
    Szat

Shows Seen: 0

DMB Hub Stubs: 1

My Tour Central Stats

Depending on what your definition of sucess is, I think Dave and Carter would have had life long careers. Dave alone is still one of the best singer / songwriters today. Sucess would have found him.
    Szat is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 10-31-2016, 12:13 PM   #3467
    Hilly

My Tour Central Stats

I think we can agree that we'd all prefer misleading shtick, passive aggressiveness, or whatever your perceived grievance with his twitter account is over a thousand voting retweets.
    Old 10-31-2016, 12:28 PM   #3468
    bowa36

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Hilly View Post
    I think we can agree that we'd all prefer misleading shtick, passive aggressiveness, or whatever your perceived grievance with his twitter account is over a thousand voting retweets.

Thanks for this post
    Old 10-31-2016, 01:11 PM   #3469
    RSSR
    Nancies.org, always.

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by bowa36 View Post
    Thanks for this post
    He makes a point, this site has no problem denigrating other people that make this fanbase, but as soon as someone puts up a mirror for Ants to look at itself, boy, they are ball washers or they somehow work for musictoday or the Warehouse or what have you.
    Old 10-31-2016, 01:20 PM   #3470
    Cryfreedom09
    mmmm beach ball

Shows Seen: 18

DMB Hub Stubs: 13

My Tour Central Stats

I love how RSSR always has to remind everyone to take a step back and realize how amazing Hilly really is
    Old 10-31-2016, 01:46 PM   #3471
    bowa36

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by RSSR View Post
    He makes a point, this site has no problem denigrating other people that make this fanbase, but as soon as someone puts up a mirror for Ants to look at itself, boy, they are ball washers or they somehow work for musictoday or the Warehouse or what have you.

Squirm »
    The Idea of You
    Don't Drink the Water
    Bismarck
    Kill the King
    JTR
    Recently »
    Water into Wine »
    Corn Bread
    Rhyme & Reason
    Samurai Cop
    Typical Situation
    What You Are
    Ants Marching »
    You Might Die Trying
    All Along the Watchtower
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    The Space Between
    Mercy »
    Two Step
    Old 10-31-2016, 02:09 PM   #3472
    crashintonickdm
    Watching the wheels

Shows Seen: 81

DMB Hub Stubs: 27

My Tour Central Stats

RSSR is hillys coffee boy
    crashintonickdm is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 10-31-2016, 02:21 PM   #3473
    Cryfreedom09
    mmmm beach ball

DMB Hub Stubs: 13

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by crashintonickdm View Post
    Old 10-31-2016, 03:19 PM   #3474
    RainDog1980

Shows Seen: 12

DMB Hub Stubs: 12

My Tour Central Stats

Did Stefan post something that sparked the success convo? Or anything of note that got this thread going? I'm not on Twitter.
    RainDog1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 11-01-2016, 12:43 AM   #3475
    bartender_man

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by crashintonickdm View Post

Old 11-01-2016, 12:44 AM   #3476
    bartender_man

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by RainDog1980 View Post
    Did Stefan post something that sparked the success convo? Or anything of note that got this thread going? I'm not on Twitter.

Fonz was just being a douche again. Nothing new.
    Old 11-01-2016, 01:18 AM   #3477
    mHeiser92

Shows Seen: 27

My Tour Central Stats

Refreshed my Twitter feed earlier today and it was nothing but retweets of people voting early/vote stickers/ sucking Stefans dick. Tons of them. Nice to see he's keeping busy by reposting mindless shit all day during his downtime
    Old 11-01-2016, 05:03 AM   #3478
    BotheLaneFan
    I AM the FBI

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by #41Tom View Post
    Boyd and probably Carter would have made it big regardless
    Boyd no chance. Carter would have already had his best gig on BET Jazz. He's an amazing drummer, but the world is full of them (including many no one has ever heard of.)

Dave is a big maybe. He needed the band to grow into the artist he became. He no longer needs them, but I hope it all stays together.

The plot is always moving forward.
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ExistenceNow View Post
    So is a glacier.
    BotheLaneFan is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 11-01-2016, 05:27 AM   #3479
    RSSR
    Nancies.org, always.

My Tour Central Stats

^
    I liked you when you were BoTheKyleLanleyFan.

Last edited by RSSR; 11-01-2016 at 05:28 AM.
    Old 11-01-2016, 06:01 AM   #3480
    BotheLaneFan
    I AM the FBI

My Tour Central Stats

Lyle Lanley, you mean?

The plot is always moving forward.
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ExistenceNow View Post