Weightlifting - Page 176 - Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion
Old 04-15-2014, 12:36 AM   #5251
DMBand520

Shows Seen: 161

DMB Hub Stubs: 33

My Tour Central Stats

Re: Weightlifting

Just competed in my first power lifting contest last weekend. It wasn't a very big competition but I got 1st in my weight class and 3rd overall. I'm not that strong compared to real power lifters, but compared to the average lifter I'm pretty decent

Here is a video. The meet was bench and deadlift only.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4n2I...yer_detailpage

• Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here
  • Old 04-15-2014, 05:36 AM   #5252
    M. Steng
    Empowered & Informed.

Shows Seen: 21

DMB Hub Stubs: 14

My Tour Central Stats

Good stuff, bro. I used to be able to bench 395 back in the day, but I never deadded anywhere near 535 (lower back problems my whole life).

Nice tattoo, as well
    Old 04-15-2014, 05:55 PM   #5253
    WidespreadMule3

Shows Seen: 28

DMB Hub Stubs: 13

My Tour Central Stats

Been working on my diet as a means to encourage muscle growth and fat loss. Found this recipe and made it tonight. A little bland but with some hot sauce it was delish. I'd really recommend it. High in fiber and protein.

http://www.bonappetit.com/recipe/ric...ed-egg-avocado

(And no, mine was no where near as pretty as that pic).
    WidespreadMule3 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 04-15-2014, 06:18 PM   #5254
    Devilspawn
    Devil's poser ego

Shows Seen: 32

DMB Hub Stubs: 16

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by WidespreadMule3 View Post
    Been working on my diet as a means to encourage muscle growth and fat loss. Found this recipe and made it tonight. A little bland but with some hot sauce it was delish. I'd really recommend it. High in fiber and protein.

I saw this today on the yahoo home page... looks decent...will try at some point
    Old 04-16-2014, 07:35 AM   #5255
    LowEnd_Theory
    ...the cool-out breed

Shows Seen: 7

DMB Hub Stubs: 8

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:

Throw some bomb salsa on and you're good.

I know there's a full moon every night. When I dress black it snows white...
    LowEnd_Theory is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 04-17-2014, 10:29 PM   #5256
    DMBand520

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by M. Steng View Post
    Good stuff, bro. I used to be able to bench 395 back in the day, but I never deadded anywhere near 535 (lower back problems my whole life).

Nice tattoo, as well
    How do you get that close to benching 405 and not push as hard as you can to get it?!

I'm hoping to hit 405 x 1 in the next few years but long term I'll settle for just being about to do 315 for a few reps. I can already tell I'm doing damage to my shoulders doing 350+.

My deadlift has been stuck for a while now. I've hardly improved at all in the past year. I was hoping to be closing in on 600 but I'm not progressing at all anymore. Also just started cutting a little for summer so I'm going to lose a little strength.
    Old 04-17-2014, 11:28 PM   #5257
    gonz085
    Tag Team Back Again

Shows Seen: 20

DMB Hub Stubs: 12

My Tour Central Stats

Maybe my form blows, but I wish I could bench that much. I've been working at it for years and not a whole lot of luck. I could max at 285 now probably. Hit a new high for seated military press a few days ago at 200 which was awesome for me.
    gonz085 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 04-18-2014, 01:28 AM   #5258
    DMBand520

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by gonz085 View Post
    Maybe my form blows, but I wish I could bench that much. I've been working at it for years and not a whole lot of luck. I could max at 285 now probably. Hit a new high for seated military press a few days ago at 200 which was awesome for me.
    285 is better than a lot of people. What's your height / weight?
    Old 04-18-2014, 05:05 AM   #5259
    M. Steng
    Empowered & Informed.

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by DMBand520 View Post
    How do you get that close to benching 405 and not push as hard as you can to get it?!

I'm hoping to hit 405 x 1 in the next few years but long term I'll settle for just being about to do 315 for a few reps. I can already tell I'm doing damage to my shoulders doing 350+.

My deadlift has been stuck for a while now. I've hardly improved at all in the past year. I was hoping to be closing in on 600 but I'm not progressing at all anymore. Also just started cutting a little for summer so I'm going to lose a little strength.
    Haha, I was training for football my senior year of college and this is what I got on test day. I'm not sure if I could have done more, but that's what I hit that day and i't my highest recorded weight so that's what I stick with. That 10 pound difference might as well be 100 when you get up that high in weight, though.
    Old 04-18-2014, 09:02 AM   #5260
    gonz085
    Tag Team Back Again

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by DMBand520 View Post
    285 is better than a lot of people. What's your height / weight?
    I'm 6' 1" 210. I've been trying to put on weight to gain some size and strength. Its just annoying that I'm so much stronger in all other facets but still not making gains for bench.
    Old 04-24-2014, 09:09 AM   #5261
    fridge112887
    William Perry

Shows Seen: 13

DMB Hub Stubs: 7

My Tour Central Stats

I mentioned this site a week or two ago. Pretty amazing stuff if you're one to consume protein PWO. You create your own mixture and every detail as far as what type of protein (grass fed, whole egg, pea, casein, etc), the carbohydrate content and what carb is used (dextrose, waxy, etc), and the flavoring. YOU create the profile and see exactly what's being put in. No more reading the ingredient list and being clueless. I haven't tried it yet but I'm very close to pulling the trigger (and this is coming from the guy that doesn't take liquid protein PWO).....

Pros:

+You're creating your PWO to fit your needs
    +High quality ingredients from a trustworthy source

Cons:

-Depending on what your mix consists of, it can be expensive (but remember, you're paying for quality product)
    -You've been purchasing inferior protein up until now full of soy, sugar, and sweeteners.

http://www.truenutrition.com/p-1126-custom-mix.aspx

I'd suggest a mix of hydrolyzed (so the protein isn't killed off due to heat) and grass-fed protein. Maybe some whole egg to make things interesting. Enjoy.
    Old 04-24-2014, 09:21 AM   #5262
    WidespreadMule3

My Tour Central Stats

What would be considered overdoing it when it comes to weightlifting? I've essentially tripled my workouts by instead of doing 1 exercise (3-4 sets) per muscle group to 3 and sometimes four per workout. I typically do "around-the-world" when I work out, which is basically a little bit of everything.
    Old 04-24-2014, 09:31 AM   #5263
    M. Steng
    Empowered & Informed.

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    What would be considered overdoing it when it comes to weightlifting? I've essentially tripled my workouts by instead of doing 1 exercise (3-4 sets) per muscle group to 3 and sometimes four per workout. I typically do "around-the-world" when I work out, which is basically a little bit of everything.
    You can definitely overdo it when it comes to lifting. If you're working out all your muscle groups every workout with 3-4 exercises per muscle group, I think that's pushing the outer limits. Depending on what you're working and what lifts you're doing, you could be doing more harm than good.

My rule of thumb has always been to never work the same muscle group without two nights' sleep in between the workouts. Again, it depends on what you're working. If you keep a rotation going of different exercises, I could see it being reasonable. But, I think letting your muscles recover is more beneficial in the long-term rather than hitting the bench and the squat rack 4 days in a row, which I would never recommend.

I know Crossfitters are doing full-body workouts almost every workout, but as we've discussed previously in here, there can be some very negative consequences to doing so.

But, to each his own. If what you're doing seems to be working and you're getting good results and not feeling too fatigued, then good for you. Just not what I would do personally. To each their own.
    Old 04-24-2014, 12:21 PM   #5264
    WidespreadMule3

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    You can definitely overdo it when it comes to lifting. If you're working out all your muscle groups every workout with 3-4 exercises per muscle group, I think that's pushing the outer limits. Depending on what you're working and what lifts you're doing, you could be doing more harm than good.

My rule of thumb has always been to never work the same muscle group without two nights' sleep in between the workouts. Again, it depends on what you're working. If you keep a rotation going of different exercises, I could see it being reasonable. But, I think letting your muscles recover is more beneficial in the long-term rather than hitting the bench and the squat rack 4 days in a row, which I would never recommend.

I know Crossfitters are doing full-body workouts almost every workout, but as we've discussed previously in here, there can be some very negative consequences to doing so.

But, to each his own. If what you're doing seems to be working and you're getting good results and not feeling too fatigued, then good for you. Just not what I would do personally. To each their own.
    I guess I was kinda vague in my question. I do upper body around-the-world MWF. I do legs/cardio on Tues/Thurs/Sat. I take Sunday to rest. I try to manage at least 36-48 hours between doing my MWF workouts.

My question was more, say I'm working my chest (just throwing a muscle group out there) - on Fridays, I do bench, low cable pulls and high cable pulls. Is that too much or am I good? I ask because I've been noticing great results so far and feel great! I just don't want to overdo it.
    Old 04-25-2014, 04:55 AM   #5265
    M. Steng
    Empowered & Informed.

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    I guess I was kinda vague in my question. I do upper body around-the-world MWF. I do legs/cardio on Tues/Thurs/Sat. I take Sunday to rest. I try to manage at least 36-48 hours between doing my MWF workouts.

My question was more, say I'm working my chest (just throwing a muscle group out there) - on Fridays, I do bench, low cable pulls and high cable pulls. Is that too much or am I good? I ask because I've been noticing great results so far and feel great! I just don't want to overdo it.
    This is the most important thing. If you don't feel fatigued and you're seeing good results, stick to it. Although, if you don't go up/down in weights, switch number of reps/sets, you might see a plateau effect. Make sure to change those up and what you're doing should keep giving you results for a long time.
    Old 04-25-2014, 07:16 AM   #5266
    WidespreadMule3

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    This is the most important thing. If you don't feel fatigued and you're seeing good results, stick to it. Although, if you don't go up/down in weights, switch number of reps/sets, you might see a plateau effect. Make sure to change those up and what you're doing should keep giving you results for a long time.
    Great! Thank you. I've been pushing real hard to up the weights each time I go in. I benched 70 lb dumbbells Wednesday and curled a 70 lb straight bar this morning. Both are things I've never been able to do, so I'm incredibly happy with how this workout is going so far.
    Old 06-14-2014, 05:18 PM   #5267
    Rodey
    Fiesta, Forever

Shows Seen: 16

DMB Hub Stubs: 10

My Tour Central Stats

Can anyone recommend a good protein bar? I'm looking for something in the 300 calorie range that doesn't have a ton of sugars or sugar alcohol. I didn't used to have a problem with sugar alcohols, but I'm pretty sure the bars in my cupboard that I found from awhile back are the root of my stomach aches and terrible gas lately.
    Old 06-14-2014, 05:27 PM   #5268
    WidespreadMule3

My Tour Central Stats

I eat an Odwalla bar after I work out. They have one bar that is 14g of protein and it's very filling. It's made with lots of fruits, oats and nuts. You can find them in the fruit/veggie section in Wal Mart and other grocery stores.
    Old 06-18-2014, 07:11 AM   #5269
    WidespreadMule3

My Tour Central Stats

Was reading some celebrity workouts last night (out of curiosity more than anything) and was noticing most of them do arms one day, chest one day, back one day, etc., very specific workouts. I've been doing a bit of a around-the-world covering mostly upper body MWF and cardio/legs TThS. Is it better to be more specific doing a certain muscle group or is it just whatever works for you? I'm by no means massive like the Rock or something but I want to be efficient.
    Old 06-18-2014, 08:25 AM   #5270
    fridge112887
    William Perry

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Was reading some celebrity workouts last night (out of curiosity more than anything) and was noticing most of them do arms one day, chest one day, back one day, etc., very specific workouts. I've been doing a bit of a around-the-world covering mostly upper body MWF and cardio/legs TThS. Is it better to be more specific doing a certain muscle group or is it just whatever works for you? I'm by no means massive like the Rock or something but I want to be efficient.
    If maintenance is your goal, then a specific region once per week is fine. If size or hypertrophy is what you're going for, training each part 1x/week won't necessarily cut it. You're leaving a lot of elevated protein synthesis potential on the table. At the peak of my "gainz", I was training each body part 2x/week.
    Old 06-18-2014, 09:05 AM   #5271
    Rodey
    Fiesta, Forever

My Tour Central Stats

One thing I've always wondered about is all the bodybuilding bros say don't neglect your legs because compound exercises help add mass the most. How does that influence, say, the mass of your upper body?

What if my upper body is scrawny and I don't give a fuck about my legs?

I just don't really feel the need to lift legs much. They get as much of a beating when I cycle.
    Old 06-18-2014, 09:11 AM   #5272
    Rodey
    Fiesta, Forever

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by fridge112887 View Post
    If maintenance is your goal, then a specific region once per week is fine. If size or hypertrophy is what you're going for, training each part 1x/week won't necessarily cut it. You're leaving a lot of elevated protein synthesis potential on the table. At the peak of my "gainz", I was training each body part 2x/week.

I'm trying to add size to my upper body. Doing chest and shoulders twice a week, back and arms once a week. I go as heavy as I can maintaining proper form and just pretty much take each set to failure. Is this a decent strategy?

Just wanna get studly like dreamboats Zac Efron or Matty McConaughey, not Ronnie Coleman.
    Old 06-18-2014, 09:13 AM   #5273
    Rodey
    Fiesta, Forever

My Tour Central Stats

I say failure because I lift at home and have limited weight to work with. I've also read that bringing each set to failure adds size as well as going as heavy as you can. I know there's contradictory stuff, though.
    Old 06-18-2014, 05:45 PM   #5274
    RAPUNZEL13
    They Attack!

My Tour Central Stats

I'm moving down to Fort Lauderdale in a few months, and seems like the only decent gym around there is LA Fitness. Anyone a member there? Haven't heard great things about it.
    Old 06-19-2014, 09:36 AM   #5275
    fridge112887
    William Perry

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rodey View Post
    I'm trying to add size to my upper body. Doing chest and shoulders twice a week, back and arms once a week. I go as heavy as I can maintaining proper form and just pretty much take each set to failure. Is this a decent strategy?

Just wanna get studly like dreamboats Zac Efron or Matty McConaughey, not Ronnie Coleman.
    A thick, strong back will add size to the rest of your upper before anything else will. Make that a priority of yours.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by RAPUNZEL13 View Post
    I'm moving down to Fort Lauderdale in a few months, and seems like the only decent gym around there is LA Fitness. Anyone a member there? Haven't heard great things about it.
    First off, I wish I was the one moving to Ft. Lauderdale. Second, LA Fitness gets the job done and has a wide selection of shit. That's where the positives stop unfortunately. The LA I belonged to was never clean and would be found littered with bros too busy texting rather than putting in work on a nightly basis. I suppose it all depends on the area.
    Old 06-19-2014, 10:08 AM   #5276
    gonz085
    Tag Team Back Again

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rodey View Post

What all do you have access to in terms of weights? Are you able to do pull ups or anything involving a barbell?

Only reason I ask is because at my old apartment complex there was gym in-house that was pretty limited, so I was forced to do something similar as in many sets to failure and different variations of the moves I would normally do at the gym. It really didn't do as much for me as I hoped. The first time I got back into a regular gym felt so much better both during and after. If the physique you're looking for is like one of those guys, I'd guess you probably should just go for a lower BF % more than anything else. They're pretty lean.
    Old 06-19-2014, 11:29 AM   #5277
    Rodey
    Fiesta, Forever

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    What all do you have access to in terms of weights? Are you able to do pull ups or anything involving a barbell?

Only reason I ask is because at my old apartment complex there was gym in-house that was pretty limited, so I was forced to do something similar as in many sets to failure and different variations of the moves I would normally do at the gym. It really didn't do as much for me as I hoped. The first time I got back into a regular gym felt so much better both during and after. If the physique you're looking for is like one of those guys, I'd guess you probably should just go for a lower BF % more than anything else. They're pretty lean.

Yes and yes. Limited amount of weight unless I buy more though.

I could lean way out, but then I'd probably look like I belong at Auschwitz. Okay, I have more muscle than that, but I don't feel like it's enough to say, okay, time to just cut.

I think I have enough weight at home to get to where I want to be. I guess we'll see though. My biggest struggle is probably the whole eating thing.
    Old 06-24-2014, 10:25 PM   #5278
    gonz085
    Tag Team Back Again

My Tour Central Stats

Another Planet Fitness rant coming your way. I wish I wasn't so strapped for cash or else I would totally go to gold's or somewhere legitimate. Anyways, the other day they took out the free bench and free squat rack. I nearly lost it. Without those, there's almost nothing legitimate for those exercises considering the DB's only go up to 75. What a nightmare. If gold's didn't have such a high start up fee I would change over tomorrow.
    Old 06-25-2014, 05:29 AM   #5279
    dmbredsox36
    'celebrate we will'

Shows Seen: 0

DMB Hub Stubs: 1

My Tour Central Stats

Same here. I literally started sending out tweets to other franchises to come to our area and give us more options.

For me, it's become more about the ridiculous policies my PF has, and the other ones I hear about. I'm a short guy (5'3") so I can get most of what I need to do done, but I'd still like heavier free weights and actual squat/bench racks. Really though, the policies are just so ridiculous, I don't want to be associated with a company that encourages you with pizza, bagels and tootsie rolls just because 'you deserve it.' Those 6 fat rolls on your body say otherwise.
    dmbredsox36 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-25-2014, 07:51 AM   #5280
    WidespreadMule3

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Another Planet Fitness rant coming your way. I wish I wasn't so strapped for cash or else I would totally go to gold's or somewhere legitimate. Anyways, the other day they took out the free bench and free squat rack. I nearly lost it. Without those, there's almost nothing legitimate for those exercises considering the DB's only go up to 75. What a nightmare. If gold's didn't have such a high start up fee I would change over tomorrow.
    Why would a gym ever remove those two pieces of equipment?? Those are two of the most essential pieces to actually being a gym!