Mercy and Gaucho are really bad songs... - Page 15 - Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion

Go Back   Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion > General Discussion > DMBc Discussion

Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here

Old 05-25-2012, 10:39 AM   #421
stoneje
EADGBe

Shows Seen: 32

DMB Hub Stubs: 17

My Tour Central Stats

Re: Mercy and Gaucho are really bad songs...

Loving the outro. Doesn't it have a classic DMB feel to it already?

I'm just tossing this out there: if Butch was still around, I could totally see a Mercy --> Linus & Lucy --> Heartbeat --> PNP ---> Rapunzel.
stoneje is offline   Reply With Quote

• Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here
  • Old 05-25-2012, 12:04 PM   #422
    mattbp102191

Shows Seen: 29

DMB Hub Stubs: 15

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by character111 View Post
    You guys do realize that the way these songs are being played right now is the closest to how they will probably sound on the album? I commented in another thread - I understand the anticipation that some fans have for songs to develop and grow over time. But the album is what most people will listen to more than live recordings. It's important that the official versions of these songs also be up to par. It seems like some of you are looking forward to the new album not for the album itself, but to hear the songs sounding different six months later. That's fine, but it just seems backwards to me. I'd rather the band get a song right in the first place, and then build on that. Otherwise, we get an album of half-developed songs.

That's a good point. Though I do think that usually what is recorded on the album has a fuller sound then when the songs are debuted live. I have a song debut compilation that has a ton of premiere's from tours past. The band on some of them seem slightly unsure/the sound "feels" empty to me, whereas on the album they're obviously not that way. I think in some cases (Rapunzel is an example I can think of off the top of my head), as time goes on, the band actually gets tunes tighter and more like the album. I think what we heard at first for Mercy isn't exactly like what the album will be like...I bet the album version will sound slightly fuller than the first couple live plays sounded. Thats just my guess though, could be totally wrong haha. nonetheless...still very optimistic for the tour AND what has already been recorded on that album
    mattbp102191 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 05-25-2012, 12:20 PM   #423
    SpotlightEyes
    Life is so peachy

Shows Seen: 52

DMB Hub Stubs: 25

My Tour Central Stats

I just hope these songs (and the rest) on the album have a finished sound and quality to them. Every track on Stand Up and most of Big Whiskey sounds so rushed and unfinished that its frightening. You can tell when the band starts playing them live for the first time and after just a few performances it changes dramatically.....almost as if the studio recording were the only time they'd even played the whole song together.
    Old 05-25-2012, 12:49 PM   #424
    krobinson_3232

Shows Seen: 36

DMB Hub Stubs: 13

My Tour Central Stats

I really, really, really hated Mercy on Fallon. However after hearing it in Atlanta and Charlotte full band, I am really liking it. They could do a few segues with the style of the intro and outro. The only complaint I have with it now is the very common one of "you and you and you" lyric. Glad to see the writing finally has substance now!
    krobinson_3232 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 05-25-2012, 12:58 PM   #425
    chiprip
    #41 Rocks

Shows Seen: 26

DMB Hub Stubs: 16

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by hairyfeetdb1 View Post
    I was at atlanta and couldn't get over how amazing this song is live. I will go on record saying I think it's the best since Shotgun. This is probably the most heartfelt song Dave has written since pre-Everyday (excluding Baby Blue). You can just tell this is a message he had to get off his chest and for that I absolutely love it.
    I'm going to go on record and back you up. After listening to the live recordings I have completely come around on Mercy. I think it is an outstanding song! It breathes and comes off so much more natural than it did on Fallon. Great stuff and I'm looking forward to seeing it myself.
    Old 05-25-2012, 01:16 PM   #426
    Interceptor
    Go Chelsea!

Shows Seen: 0

DMB Hub Stubs: 2

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpotlightEyes View Post
    ....almost as if the studio recording were the only time they'd even played the whole song together.
    In the studio most discs are recorded in parts, rarely "full band".
    (Some tracks are recorded with up to 64+ tracks of layers and overdubs.)
    It's possible that the band never played some of these songs "full band" until they practiced for a tour.
    Interceptor is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 05-25-2012, 03:02 PM   #427
    Bluewater21
    Climbin' out the mud

DMB Hub Stubs: 18

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by MOWJO8185 View Post
    I think he was disputing the statement you made that all DMB does is put half-developed songs onto albums and then turn them into monsters live. While the "turning into monsters live" part is spot on, DMB's studio work in their early years was fantastic in and of itself, and wasn't what I would call "half-developed".

And I agree with his point. It's great that as time goes on they might make some of these songs live powerhouses, but I really hope the studio album is up to snuff. Maybe it's because my musical tastes have started to divert away from "jam bands", but as I've gotten older I've grown to appreciate that there are also things that you can capture in the studio that can't be captured in live versions. And I do think DMB had some of that special studio prowess for their first few albums as well.
    Ok I obviously didn't clarify myself. I wasn't suggesting that their albums were lackluster in any way. I love every album, what I meant by "half developed" was the main song constructed minus the jams built in on tour.
    Bluewater21 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 05-25-2012, 03:23 PM   #428
    SpecialAgent007
    Annie ♥ ♥ ♥

Shows Seen: 14

DMB Hub Stubs: 8

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by MOWJO8185 View Post
    I think he was disputing the statement you made that all DMB does is put half-developed songs onto albums and then turn them into monsters live. While the "turning into monsters live" part is spot on, DMB's studio work in their early years was fantastic in and of itself, and wasn't what I would call "half-developed".

And I agree with his point. It's great that as time goes on they might make some of these songs live powerhouses, but I really hope the studio album is up to snuff. Maybe it's because my musical tastes have started to divert away from "jam bands", but as I've gotten older I've grown to appreciate that there are also things that you can capture in the studio that can't be captured in live versions. And I do think DMB had some of that special studio prowess for their first few albums as well.
    Exactly.

Whether he meant it or not, saying that anything on the Big 3 and even LWS (in unfinished form no less!) was "half-developed" in the studio is a profoundly ignorant statement or poorly worded and incredibly misleading.

7.5.2000 for DMBLive Release - Do it for the Chet!
    http://antsmarching.org/forum/showthread.php?t=194121
    SpecialAgent007 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 05-25-2012, 03:32 PM   #429
    SpecialAgent007
    Annie ♥ ♥ ♥

Shows Seen: 14

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bluewater21 View Post
    Ok I obviously didn't clarify myself. I wasn't suggesting that their albums were lackluster in any way. I love every album, what I meant by "half developed" was the main song constructed minus the jams built in on tour.
    And again, that's a very, very, very different thing from saying that a song is "half-developed." Their first three studio albums were terrific in every way. BTCS is damn-near masterpiece status in my mind. Live music done right will always be incredibly satisfying, potentially far more so than a studio recording, but it does not mean that the studio recordings were half-developed ideas. They're great studio recordings of great songs. That they become greater in the live setting does not change the fact they would still be great if only the studio cuts existed and the songs were never played live.

And in terms then of relating that idea to everything released since 2001, I don't think you can say that a lot of that material was "great" in the studio nor even live. There were some solid tunes here and there, but nothing approaching the content on the first 3+LWS albums, and that goes for live and on the album. Those Everyday and Stand Up tunes had more room to grow live as they were starting from such a lowly place, but just because What You Are got better live over time doesn't mean that I think it's a great song. I still would just assume never hear it again.

Great songs are great songs no matter what. Stripped down to the barest of instrumentation, full band studio arrangement, full band live, a cappella, etc...there's little you can do to make a great song be anything less than a great song. And unfortunately, that theory holds fairly similarly for bad to mediocre songs. You can polish a turd and it's still a turd. You can make something mediocre a little more tolerable, but if that's the best you can say about something, you weren't starting out with much to begin with.

Great songs always win.

7.5.2000 for DMBLive Release - Do it for the Chet!
    http://antsmarching.org/forum/showthread.php?t=194121
    SpecialAgent007 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 05-25-2012, 04:07 PM   #430
    hairyfeetdb1
    "The Plaid Guys"

Shows Seen: 53

DMB Hub Stubs: 19

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by chiprip View Post
    I'm going to go on record and back you up. After listening to the live recordings I have completely come around on Mercy. I think it is an outstanding song! It breathes and comes off so much more natural than it did on Fallon. Great stuff and I'm looking forward to seeing it myself.

I'm not alone!!!!
    hairyfeetdb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 05-25-2012, 04:47 PM   #431
    dmbdreamingtree
    be the light

Shows Seen: 12

DMB Hub Stubs: 6

My Tour Central Stats

How fast a mind can be changed.

Mercy 5-22 is good. Promising stuff.
    You're living in an imaginary mental prison of your own creation.
    dmbdreamingtree is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 05-25-2012, 08:59 PM   #432
    Bluewater21
    Climbin' out the mud

DMB Hub Stubs: 18

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpecialAgent007 View Post
    Exactly.

Whether he meant it or not, saying that anything on the Big 3 and even LWS (in unfinished form no less!) was "half-developed" in the studio is a profoundly ignorant statement or poorly worded and incredibly misleading.
    ha jeeze sorry your honor
    Bluewater21 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 05-25-2012, 09:06 PM   #433
    cf24tom

Shows Seen: 56

DMB Hub Stubs: 23

My Tour Central Stats

I didn't care for either one of these songs the first time I heard them, but I enjoy them now.
    cf24tom is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 05-25-2012, 09:22 PM   #434
    timothk
    Haiku Warrior

Shows Seen: 6

DMB Hub Stubs: 7

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by canes101190 View Post
    I'd rather staple my dick to a burning log than read this thread.
    Really hoping this doesn't become a new emoticon.
    Alpine Valley N1 & N2 '12
    Alpine Valley N2 '13

Co-Host of DMB Marathon I & II
    -The greatest twenty-four combined hours ever-
    timothk is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 05-25-2012, 10:35 PM   #435
    pmcox3333

Shows Seen: 90

DMB Hub Stubs: 24

My Tour Central Stats

still loving them. even more having seen them live.
    Old 05-25-2012, 11:32 PM   #436
    skers7676

Shows Seen: 13

My Tour Central Stats

Did not read above.. Mercy is fucking good....
    skers7676 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 05-25-2012, 11:37 PM   #437
    hmich176
    SarcMark(TM)

My Tour Central Stats

The thread title should be "Time Bomb and Cornbread are really bad songs...".
    hmich176 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 05-26-2012, 12:08 PM   #438
    lesky20
    Spacmeefer

DMB Hub Stubs: 22

My Tour Central Stats

what is so outstanding about these songs? Lyrics are pretty cheesey to me, specially for Mr. Matthews. Please, do yourselves a favor and listen to The Lumineers, simple yet so good. Edward Sharpe...real. The Head and the Heart, love. With the setlists the DMB are playing right now, I'm in it more for the opening acts and I've been to 41 DMB shows...I love my Dave Matthews Band, but I honestly hope that these two new songs are the worst of the album. Just my opinion. Oh yeah, Avett Brothers...can't forget them
    lesky20 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 05-26-2012, 01:11 PM   #439
    hmich176
    SarcMark(TM)

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by lesky20 View Post
    what is so outstanding about these songs? Lyrics are pretty cheesey to me, specially for Mr. Matthews.
    Have you not listened to Stand Up? Or Everyday? Or even Big Whiskey?
    hmich176 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 05-26-2012, 06:46 PM   #440
    xnad

Shows Seen: 30

DMB Hub Stubs: 13

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by bigeyedfinn View Post
    The fact that this band has been playing for over 20 years and still producing music is incredible. The fact that they are producing music at this level is even more insane. The best DMB songs usually have dark lyrics which are drawn from really dark times in Dave's life. The fact of the matter is Dave and the rest of the band are rich with families and a really good, stable life. We aren't going to get the 20 something trying to find yourself with a really interesting and messed up childhood lyrics. Dave got those out of his system and is now writing about what he feels. Musically these songs are great, but don't expect the lyrics of the big 3 ever again.
    Exactly, I agree. They are in a different place in their lives.
    xnad is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 05-26-2012, 08:38 PM   #441
    I Subliminal I
    Some Ants are assholes

Shows Seen: 40

DMB Hub Stubs: 19

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by lesky20 View Post
    what is so outstanding about these songs? Lyrics are pretty cheesey to me, especially for Mr. Matthews. Please, do yourselves a favor and listen to The Lumineers, simple yet so good. Edward Sharpe...real. The Head and the Heart, love. With the setlists the DMB are playing right now, I'm in it more for the opening acts and I've been to 41 DMB shows...I love my Dave Matthews Band, but I honestly hope that these two new songs are the worst of the album. Just my opinion. Oh yeah, Avett Brothers...can't forget them
    you too cool for school walter cronkite? cant put that e in front?

WPB and CVill 2010... amazing
    I Subliminal I is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 05-26-2012, 09:20 PM   #442
    42graystreet
    Go Big Red!

Shows Seen: 89

DMB Hub Stubs: 26

My Tour Central Stats

After listening to the full band versions, I've got a suspicion that Mercy is going to be one of my favorite studio songs by this band.
    Old 05-26-2012, 09:25 PM   #443
    Panther41
    Since 1995

Shows Seen: 0

DMB Hub Stubs: 1

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by hmich176 View Post
    The thread title should be "Time Bomb and Cornbread are really bad songs...".
    Except, I've always loved Cornbread. Still do. Lyrics and all.
    Panther41 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 05-27-2012, 10:05 PM   #444
    lesky20
    Spacmeefer

DMB Hub Stubs: 22

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by I Subliminal I View Post
    you too cool for school walter cronkite? cant put that e in front?
    Sorry I forgot the 'e' my bad...and no, not too cool. Just trying to be real. I guess I just don't understand :/

Last edited by lesky20; 05-27-2012 at 10:08 PM.
    lesky20 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 05-27-2012, 10:27 PM   #445
    BigEyedGooch
    MoreTalkingHeadsCovers

Shows Seen: 23

DMB Hub Stubs: 10

My Tour Central Stats

These two songs are so refreshing musically. Mercy is begging for a great segue from the outro, and gaucho has a pace and guitar riff reminiscent of the Stone. In fact, Gaucho->Stone would make a killer segue. Yes, I am disappointed with dave's lyrical output post-Lillywhite sessions, but I have accepted that we probably will hear few dreaming tree/spoon quality lyrical achievements from dave moving forward. Musically, these two songs are a true return to form for the band. They fucking SOUND like dmb.
    Old 05-27-2012, 10:34 PM   #446
    Sabres914

Shows Seen: 85

DMB Hub Stubs: 26

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by BigEyedGooch View Post
    These two songs are so refreshing musically. Mercy is begging for a great segue from the outro, and gaucho has a pace and guitar riff reminiscent of the Stone. In fact, Gaucho->Stone would make a killer segue. Yes, I am disappointed with dave's lyrical output post-Lillywhite sessions, but I have accepted that we probably will hear few dreaming tree/spoon quality lyrical achievements from dave moving forward. Musically, these two songs are a true return to form for the band. They fucking SOUND like dmb.
    I love the idea of a Gaucho>Stone segue or even Stone>Gaucho.