Live Trax Volume 41 D&T 3/13/99 - Page 4 - Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion

Go Back   Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion > General Discussion > DMBc Discussion

Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here

Old 03-14-2017, 07:08 AM   #91
robby_idol

Shows Seen: 14

DMB Hub Stubs: 6

My Tour Central Stats

Re: Live Trax Volume 41 D&T 3/13/99

Quote:
Originally Posted by dontdrink36 View Post
Not really. It's one of their most iconic songs that has been played and released steadily throughout their entire career. Odds are any release would have it.
Find me examples where Dave has ever once given special treatment to songs in this fashion. He doesn't celebrate band or album anniversaries, didn't do anything special for their 25th anniversary tour whatsoever - what makes you think they'd treat the 41st Live Trax with some kind of symbolism?

Quote:
Originally Posted by drop2d View Post
Agreed with dontdrink. It's like they went out of their way to avoid it. It absolutely doesn't NEED to be on the 41st LT (we have more than enough 41's... another one isn't really necessary). Just seems like they tried to find a show where it wasn't played. It was played at most shows that tour and was cut from that very show.
So you really think the band/management put time and effort into trolling fans on this one? Really?

Really?
robby_idol is offline   Reply With Quote

• Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here
  • Old 03-14-2017, 07:19 AM   #92
    chadizzy1
    Rumor Curator

Shows Seen: 45

DMB Hub Stubs: 17

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by dancheatham View Post
    This was not a last-minute switch. The Atlanta '04 rumors were just wrong.
    Thank you, Dan, I was curious what the behind the scenes was on this release.
    chadizzy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 03-14-2017, 07:23 AM   #93
    cry_minarets458
    MM#45 Wacco for Flacco

Location: Give me BETHEL or give me death.... death, death it is then

Shows Seen: 62

DMB Hub Stubs: 21

My Tour Central Stats

I'm excited to see how they make this sound. I love the tones from the Radio City 07 CD. LC is very bright sounding. the '99 D+T tour just sounded "deeper" to me, so I hope they're able to capture that. If this falls in line between LC and Radio City, in regard to how the guitars are mixed, then this can be the very best D+T release. Looking forward to it.

All IMO of course
    *renounces DMB fandom*
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prime Minister
    In fairness Brian Wilson's Beard > Amy Winehouse & the grammys & spoot.
    cry_minarets458 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 03-14-2017, 07:28 AM   #94
    chadizzy1
    Rumor Curator

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by robby_idol View Post
    I will never understand why so many people here keep assuming the 41st LT needs to have #41 on it. That's some #dMbFamily logic right there.
    Considering it's never happened before with any numbered song appearing on that number release.

Live Trax 27 (10/14/10) - Had #41, did not have #27.
    Live Trax 32 (8/23/14) - Had #41, did not have #32 (Kind Intentions)
    Live Trax 34 (6/24/99) - Did not have #34
    Live Trax 35 (6/20/09) - Had #40, did not have #35 (well, it's never been played live anyway)
    Live Trax 36 (7/26/15) - Had #41, did not have #36
    Live Trax 40 (12/21/02) - Did not have #40
    Live Trax 41 (3/13/99) - Does not have #41.
    Old 03-14-2017, 07:28 AM   #95
    KevinTH
    KevinTH5

Shows Seen: 33

DMB Hub Stubs: 16

My Tour Central Stats

I felt like the 04 show rumors weren't really rumors. I took part in those convos, but it seemed like it started when someone said they'd buy "HiFi" speakers for an 04 show. I just took that as a show they wanted. Didn't necessarily sound like a rumor to me. Then things seemed to spiral from there and it was considered a rumor and that's what we were getting.

Honestly, we get 4 releases a year. The excitement has died down quite a bit for me. I'll always pick these up, but unless there's a bunch of extras, like a bluray or bonus disc, I rarely get too hyped about them. We have so much access to live DMB shows that when they're officially released the excitement isn't the same as it used to be. This is a great show though.
    KevinTH is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 03-14-2017, 07:32 AM   #96
    RMinor205

Shows Seen: 21

DMB Hub Stubs: 11

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by dontdrink36 View Post
    That's your opinion
    Well, I did say it.
    RMinor205 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 03-14-2017, 07:32 AM   #97
    dontdrink36
    not nice or reliable

Shows Seen: 53

DMB Hub Stubs: 25

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Find me examples where Dave has ever once given special treatment to songs in this fashion. He doesn't celebrate band or album anniversaries, didn't do anything special for their 25th anniversary tour whatsoever - what makes you think they'd treat the 41st Live Trax with some kind of symbolism?

So you really think the band/management put time and effort into trolling fans on this one? Really?

Really?
    I never said they did. I just said #41 is likely to be on any release so to think it might be on LT41 isn't crazy.
    Old 03-14-2017, 07:39 AM   #98
    chadizzy1
    Rumor Curator

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Only one example comes to mind for me. December 21st, 2012. That was the date the Mayan calendar supposedly predicted the end of the world. They opened the show with When The World Ends.

http://dmbalmanac.com/TourShowSet.as...118&where=2012

I would say that was blind luck, but:

1. It was the first time they opened with that song since 2003
    2. It had only been played like 5 times in 2012
    3. That was the only time it was played in the winter tour.

So I think that was special consideration for that day/song. But that's the only one I can think of
    Old 03-14-2017, 07:43 AM   #99
    flames_theman

Shows Seen: 25

DMB Hub Stubs: 13

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Find me examples where Dave has ever once given special treatment to songs in this fashion. He doesn't celebrate band or album anniversaries, didn't do anything special for their 25th anniversary tour whatsoever - what makes you think they'd treat the 41st Live Trax with some kind of symbolism??
    First one I thought of was Gorge N1 2012, the band`s 41st show at the Gorge, they opened with #41

#NAFDA Camp Absolutely!!
    flames_theman is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 03-14-2017, 07:48 AM   #100
    dancheatham

Shows Seen: 72

DMB Hub Stubs: 24

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by chadizzy1 View Post
    Only one example comes to mind for me. December 21st, 2012. That was the date the Mayan calendar supposedly predicted the end of the world. They opened the show with When The World Ends.

So I think that was special consideration for that day/song. But that's the only one I can think of
    They also opened with #41 for their 41st Gorge show (8.31.12). Nothing else outside of these two examples comes to mind.

Last edited by dancheatham; 03-14-2017 at 07:49 AM.
    dancheatham is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 03-14-2017, 07:53 AM   #101
    drop2d

Shows Seen: 32

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:

Really?
    Trolled? No.

purposefully avoided #41 on this release? Maybe.

Quote:
    Considering it's never happened before with any numbered song appearing on that number release.

Live Trax 27 (10/14/10) - Had #41, did not have #27.
    Live Trax 32 (8/23/14) - Had #41, did not have #32 (Kind Intentions)
    Live Trax 34 (6/24/99) - Did not have #34
    Live Trax 35 (6/20/09) - Had #40, did not have #35 (well, it's never been played live anyway)
    Live Trax 36 (7/26/15) - Had #41, did not have #36
    Live Trax 40 (12/21/02) - Did not have #40
    Live Trax 41 (3/13/99) - Does not have #41.
    I think we can all agree that all of the other numbered songs are A LOT more rare and not anywhere near as popular.

I mean, It was played at 80% of the shows that tour. I don't think it's some sort of wild notion to think they avoided #41 on purpose.
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by drakan View Post
    Cuomo for president.
    drop2d is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 03-14-2017, 07:54 AM   #102
    robby_idol

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:

Good find

Honestly, the 12/21/12 apocalypse idea was so prevalent in societal culture - not just DMB fandom - that it makes sense Dave's dark sense of humor would open with WTWE.

But that's Dave commenting on society through his music. He does that often - performing lyrically significant songs at political fundraisers, dedicating songs to certain people to bring awareness to their struggles, interpolating or performing whole covers by musicians who recently passed away, etc.

Dave seems like a humble guy. He's all about using his music to bring attention to or celebrate others; but within his own universe, he's never been (to my knowledge) someone to put special emphasis on his own work. We never got an album anniversary tour where they played an entire album from start to finish like so many bands do these days, he didn't do much to acknowledge their 25th anniversary tour...

The closest he's come is picking through the notes of #34 in honor of Leroi now and then, but again, that's using his music to celebrate someone else, not himself.

It's a long way of saying, I imagine that Live Trax are at the bottom of the barrel in terms of the band's (and by proxy, their management's) interest in creating 'special' occurrences. They try to pick good shows that fans will want, but connecting numbered songs to star alignments is the work of fans, not the band, and never has been.
    Old 03-14-2017, 07:58 AM   #103
    robby_idol

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by KevinTH View Post
    I felt like the 04 show rumors weren't really rumors. I took part in those convos, but it seemed like it started when someone said they'd buy "HiFi" speakers for an 04 show. I just took that as a show they wanted. Didn't necessarily sound like a rumor to me. Then things seemed to spiral from there and it was considered a rumor and that's what we were getting.
    I admit, I got hoodwinked into thinking we had another 2004 show coming with this release. But it wasn't a slap in the face to find out I was wrong, just a personal bummer since I've been itching for a new '04 release for a while.

9.5 times out of 10, no one here knows anything. And if they do, it's subject to change until announcement. The end.
    Old 03-14-2017, 08:13 AM   #104
    dontdrink36
    not nice or reliable

Shows Seen: 53

DMB Hub Stubs: 25

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:

http://www.dmbalmanac.com/LiveReleaseStats.aspx?sid=41

#41 has 39 official releases. More than all other # songs combined. Drop2D has said it was heavily played that tour and cut from that set. Not having 41 on LT41 doesn't make it a lesser release, but to say it would be strange if it did is incorrect.
    Old 03-14-2017, 08:16 AM   #105
    camptravisr
    Numbered Beats

Shows Seen: 47

DMB Hub Stubs: 16

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:

I remember at Alpine in 2010 Stefan played the Star Spangled Banner before Watchtower on July 4th. Don't know if that counts.
    camptravisr is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 03-14-2017, 08:18 AM   #106
    chadizzy1
    Rumor Curator

My Tour Central Stats

Like A Hurricane, 8/26/11, in reference to Hurricane Irene

http://www.dmbalmanac.com/SongStats.aspx?sid=694

"This Neil Young song first appeared on his 1977 album American Stars 'N Bars. Dave covered it on 8.26.11 in reference to Hurricane Irene, which was approaching the east coast and forced the band to reschedule its second two Governors Island Caravan dates."
    Old 03-14-2017, 08:23 AM   #107
    dancheatham

Shows Seen: 72

DMB Hub Stubs: 24

My Tour Central Stats

I just thought of another: They played #34 for Dave's wife's 34th birthday on 10.2.07.

But that's all beside the point anyway, as neither Dave nor anyone else in the band chooses which shows are released. They probably have no clue which number the Live Trax series is on, probably have no idea whether Show X was released as a Live Trax or a DMBlive, and probably have no idea that they haven't actually released a show in stores for years now. They certainly aren't thinking about whether a specific song is on a specific number release in a series.

It's true that the odds of a '99 D&T show having #41 are pretty high, and it is mathematically surprising that it's not on this one; however, what would be the reason for purposely selecting a show without it? What conversation would have to take place to arrive at that decision? At least with the old "Butch rule" rumor there was a plausible justification. I don't see any reason to pick this show outside of the fact that it consistently makes people's lists of best-ever D&T shows.
    Old 03-14-2017, 08:27 AM   #108
    robby_idol

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    I just thought of another: They played #34 for Dave's wife's 34th birthday
    Quote:
    Like A Hurricane, 8/26/11, in reference to Hurricane Irene

http://www.dmbalmanac.com/SongStats.aspx?sid=694

"This Neil Young song first appeared on his 1977 album American Stars 'N Bars. Dave covered it on 8.26.11 in reference to Hurricane Irene, which was approaching the east coast and forced the band to reschedule its second two Governors Island Caravan dates."
    More examples of Dave using music to celebrate others. Still not sure he's ever approached a show saying, "This is the 41st time we've played this venue, let's open with #41!!!"
    Old 03-14-2017, 08:37 AM   #109
    chadizzy1
    Rumor Curator

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    More examples of Dave using music to celebrate others. Still not sure he's ever approached a show saying, "This is the 41st time we've played this venue, let's open with #41!!!"
    But, he did

Quote:
    They also opened with #41 for their 41st Gorge show (8.31.12). Nothing else outside of these two examples comes to mind.
    Old 03-14-2017, 08:40 AM   #110
    robby_idol

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    But, he did
    Interesting. I wonder if that was a coincidence or his intent?
    Old 03-14-2017, 08:42 AM   #111
    drop2d

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Interesting. I wonder if that was a coincidence or his intent?
    "This was the band's 41st show at the Gorge; Carter confirmed that the #41 opener was an intentional nod."
    Quote:
    Cuomo for president.
    Old 03-14-2017, 09:47 AM   #112
    bigbeartilidie

Shows Seen: 111

DMB Hub Stubs: 32

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Another example, I think he started teasing #34 in 2013 at the band's 34st show at the Meadows

Yup, here http://www.dmbalmanac.com/TourShowSe...120&where=2013

I can't believe anybody is complaining about this release

...oh wait, I can
    Old 03-14-2017, 10:10 AM   #113
    chadizzy1
    Rumor Curator

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by bigbeartilidie View Post
    Another example, I think he started teasing #34 in 2013 at the band's 34st show at the Meadows

Yup, here http://www.dmbalmanac.com/TourShowSe...120&where=2013

I can't believe anybody is complaining about this release

...oh wait, I can
    It's Ants. They could release the 20th Anniversary of Before These Crowded Streets on 45rpm vinyl, a bonus 7" with studio outtakes, 12/3/98 as the accompanied LT/download, and a limited edition Blu Ray of behind then scenes footage from the recording of BTCS and people would complain that "they should have released ____________ as the new LT" or "this is the bonus material we get?". Ants gonna Ants
    Old 03-14-2017, 10:21 AM   #114
    drop2d

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    It's Ants. They could release the 20th Anniversary of Before These Crowded Streets on 45rpm vinyl, a bonus 7" with studio outtakes, 12/3/98 as the accompanied LT/download, and a limited edition Blu Ray of behind then scenes footage from the recording of BTCS and people would complain that "they should have released 4/21/98 or better yet, the best show of all time 12/7/98 as the new LT" or "this is the bonus material we get?". Ants gonna Ants
    fixed that.
    Quote:
    Cuomo for president.
    Old 03-14-2017, 11:20 AM   #115
    DMB1983

Shows Seen: 29

DMB Hub Stubs: 15

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by cry_minarets458 View Post
    I'm excited to see how they make this sound. I love the tones from the Radio City 07 CD. LC is very bright sounding. the '99 D+T tour just sounded "deeper" to me, so I hope they're able to capture that. If this falls in line between LC and Radio City, in regard to how the guitars are mixed, then this can be the very best D+T release. Looking forward to it.

All IMO of course
    I agree with you. I believe Dave's playing style changed considerably between 1999 and 2007. In the 90's he played with a pretty heavy hand and by 2007 he was playing a bit more delicately and not using picks for certain songs.

They'd really have to screw up the mix for me to not enjoy this one.

I've noticed the last couple years he's back to playing a bit heavier again in recent years.
    DMB1983 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 03-14-2017, 12:46 PM   #116
    crashintonickdm
    Watching the wheels

Shows Seen: 81

DMB Hub Stubs: 27

My Tour Central Stats

This won't trump Luther simply because Luther was what got many into the music

That said, I'm extremely excited for this
    crashintonickdm is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 03-14-2017, 03:21 PM   #117
    DeuceStep

Shows Seen: 99

DMB Hub Stubs: 26

My Tour Central Stats

They teased #34 on 6/28/13 dedicating it to Roi because it was 5 years since his last show.
    DeuceStep is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 03-14-2017, 03:47 PM   #118
    bowa36

Shows Seen: 0

DMB Hub Stubs: 7

My Tour Central Stats

Got one:

http://dmbalmanac.com/TourShowSet.as...110&where=2010

"This show was delayed for nearly two hours due to thunderstorms."

Printed set had Squirm as the opener, with JTR following...
    Old 03-14-2017, 06:38 PM   #119
    ramiro24
    Hurricane Rozz

Shows Seen: 74

DMB Hub Stubs: 21

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by RSSR View Post
    You really get off being sanctimonious, don't you? You wouldn't feel heavily pissed off from heavily thinking we were getting 12.03.98 to a summer '05 show? Because that's how I feel.
    The fact you feel this dave and tim show is a slap in the face and compare it to an 05 show is just insane.
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sean52692 View Post
    Rozz, you are always partying, even when you're not
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by btpeters View Post
    We all go a little Rozz sometimes
    ramiro24 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 03-14-2017, 07:09 PM   #120
    axelrod

Shows Seen: 0

DMB Hub Stubs: 0

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by bowa36 View Post
    Got one:

http://dmbalmanac.com/TourShowSet.as...110&where=2010

"This show was delayed for nearly two hours due to thunderstorms."

Printed set had Squirm as the opener, with JTR following...
    Besides JTR, Billies and Two Step> Ants.... that set is awful

Last edited by axelrod; 03-14-2017 at 07:11 PM.
    axelrod is offline   Reply With Quote