Weightlifting - Page 178 - Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion
Old 08-11-2014, 04:13 PM   #5311
DirtyJersey
The 856

Shows Seen: 82

DMB Hub Stubs: 23

My Tour Central Stats

Re: Weightlifting

Quote:
Originally Posted by cry_minarets458 View Post
So, I am about to begin my year of clinical rotations. Through the classroom phase, I worked about 30 hours a week part-time...I'm not going to be working anymore once I begin clinicals (yay, loan money!). That being said, I just began lifting today. I started with chest. I think I'm going to do my rests in the middle of the week (due to clinical days and being free on weekends...so i'll hit the gym even harder on Saturday and sunday).

I guess I just have a few questions. I'm getting really serious with this now cause I want to get back to where I was in 2011 (weighed about 180 and was able to put up 225 on a flat bench and 195 on an incline....huge numbers for me given my history with lifting).

Today, I did chest/triceps..here was my workout (keep in mind, first day back):
-flat bench dumbells 4 sets (15, 12, 10, 10 reps)
-incline bench dumbells 4 sets (15, 12, 10, 10 reps)
-dumbbell pullovers 3 sets (15, 12, 12 reps)
-dumbbell flys 3 sets (12, 12, 10 reps)
-cable crossovers 3 sets (12, 10, 10 reps)
-tricep cable pulldowns 3 sets (10, 10, 8 reps)
-tricep rope pulldowns 3 sets (10, 10, 8 reps)
-close grip bench (on a machine) 3 sets (12, 12, burnout)

I have some flab, not going to lie...should I try modifying the above to a cut routine and then build later? or is it better to start building and then cut in the late fall/early winter? I'm thinking of:

-sunday - chest/tri
-Monday - shoulder/bi
-Tuesday - back
-Wednesday - off
-Thursday - off
-Friday - legs
-Saturday - ?

where should I work cardio into? how should I modify the above schedule? I know what worked for me in undergrad (not what is listed above), but I had a much easier schedule given my time and had a gym right down the street from my dorm.

any help would be great. thanks
If I may offer my advice- your plan is a good start, it just needs some fine tuning. If you decide to keep the split you have I'd swap your leg and back days. Your first two days are upper body so give it a rest and hit legs on that third day. What Id really reccomend for you is a push/pull/legs routine. The basic gym split is something the bodybuilding world has brought into the gym scene. For the average lifter hitting the muscles 2x a week would show better results. What I would reccomend for you would be like this:
Monday-Push (basically any chest/shoulder/tri workout)
Tuesday-Pull (pretty much back and bi)
Wed- Legs

These 3 days Id go heavy if I was you. Keep your reps anywhere from 3-8 per set. These will be your "power" days

Fri-Push
Sat-Pull

These 2 days make your Hypertrophy days. Lighter weight but higher reps 8-12

Cardio is honestly a waste. If anything do some HIIT. Maybe max 10 mins. The best fat burner is muscle so your lifting will rid you of fat. Also there is no such thing as a "shredding routine". Shredding and bulking is all on your diet. Make sure to take in a lot of protein. Carbs should be from fruit, grains, and oatmeal.
DirtyJersey is offline   Reply With Quote

• Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here
  • Old 08-11-2014, 05:10 PM   #5312
    comeandsee41

Shows Seen: 46

DMB Hub Stubs: 16

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by artiej1120 View Post
    Hey guys, I want to start getting into making protein shakes. Anyone have a recommendation on the best powders for relatively cheap and someone just starting out? Any recipes are welcome too.
    Optimum Nutrition (ON) is the best out there, imo.

i usually toss two scoops in a blender, some milk, half banana, some blueberries, and a half scoop of peanut butter. also i add some flax seeds or chia seeds.

good eaten.
    Old 08-13-2014, 06:54 AM   #5313
    WidespreadMule3

Shows Seen: 28

DMB Hub Stubs: 13

My Tour Central Stats

May seem a dumb question, but I've always heard that to eat breakfast like a king and dinner like a pauper. When I finish my workouts I'm incredibly hungry and I try to eat a lot of nutrient rich foods (eggs, ham, fruits, fiber, etc.), so my question is if I work out at night do I need to eat a smaller dinner or should I go ahead and eat my fill? I don't gorge myself but I'll normally eat something like pork chops and two types of vegetables.
    WidespreadMule3 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 08-13-2014, 07:28 AM   #5314
    fridge112887
    William Perry

Shows Seen: 13

DMB Hub Stubs: 7

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by WidespreadMule3 View Post
    May seem a dumb question, but I've always heard that to eat breakfast like a king and dinner like a pauper. When I finish my workouts I'm incredibly hungry and I try to eat a lot of nutrient rich foods (eggs, ham, fruits, fiber, etc.), so my question is if I work out at night do I need to eat a smaller dinner or should I go ahead and eat my fill? I don't gorge myself but I'll normally eat something like pork chops and two types of vegetables.
    The thinking of "eat breakfast like a king and dinner like a pauper" is a thing of the past. There's no science behind it. If you're concerned about muscle growth, your largest meal ideally should be post workout. If you've met your macronutrient total for the day when it's all said and done, it really shouldn't matter, but I like to be safe.
    Old 08-22-2014, 07:59 AM   #5315
    fridge112887
    William Perry

My Tour Central Stats

This is what I've been trying to say for a while now. Rid of the fluff and get down to business.

http://www.t-nation.com/workouts/pri...basic-workouts
    Old 08-27-2014, 07:37 AM   #5316
    WidespreadMule3

My Tour Central Stats

Are there any protein powders/shakes that are lactose free? Being Lactose-intolerant is an awful thing.
    Old 09-12-2014, 06:14 AM   #5317
    WidespreadMule3

My Tour Central Stats

Been hitting the gym hard since the beginning of the year and have put on 15 lbs between January-September. Nothing too crazy, makes sense and would seem normal.

About 3 weeks ago I started training with a guy who could be a body builder he's so big and started taking 2-3 protein shakes a day, I've put on 6 lbs since then and finally have broken 200 lbs. It's amazing what a difference someone pushing you can make. Not to mention, that protein powder really helps
    Old 09-13-2014, 03:29 PM   #5318
    fridge112887
    William Perry

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Been hitting the gym hard since the beginning of the year and have put on 15 lbs between January-September. Nothing too crazy, makes sense and would seem normal.

About 3 weeks ago I started training with a guy who could be a body builder he's so big and started taking 2-3 protein shakes a day, I've put on 6 lbs since then and finally have broken 200 lbs. It's amazing what a difference someone pushing you can make. Not to mention, that protein powder really helps
    Few questions for you:

-What else have you changed (diet wise, specifically)?

-What brand of protein are you consuming (could this weight gain be due in part of "fillers" from the protein or weight gainer)?
    Old 09-13-2014, 09:47 PM   #5319
    Sonix Blastors
    Gas, Grass, or Ass

Shows Seen: 0

DMB Hub Stubs: 1

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by cry_minarets458 View Post
    So, I am about to begin my year of clinical rotations. Through the classroom phase, I worked about 30 hours a week part-time...I'm not going to be working anymore once I begin clinicals (yay, loan money!). That being said, I just began lifting today. I started with chest. I think I'm going to do my rests in the middle of the week (due to clinical days and being free on weekends...so i'll hit the gym even harder on Saturday and sunday).

I guess I just have a few questions. I'm getting really serious with this now cause I want to get back to where I was in 2011 (weighed about 180 and was able to put up 225 on a flat bench and 195 on an incline....huge numbers for me given my history with lifting).

Today, I did chest/triceps..here was my workout (keep in mind, first day back):
    -flat bench dumbells 4 sets (15, 12, 10, 10 reps)
    -incline bench dumbells 4 sets (15, 12, 10, 10 reps)
    -dumbbell pullovers 3 sets (15, 12, 12 reps)
    -dumbbell flys 3 sets (12, 12, 10 reps)
    -cable crossovers 3 sets (12, 10, 10 reps)
    -tricep cable pulldowns 3 sets (10, 10, 8 reps)
    -tricep rope pulldowns 3 sets (10, 10, 8 reps)
    -close grip bench (on a machine) 3 sets (12, 12, burnout)

I have some flab, not going to lie...should I try modifying the above to a cut routine and then build later? or is it better to start building and then cut in the late fall/early winter? I'm thinking of:

-sunday - chest/tri
    -Monday - shoulder/bi
    -Tuesday - back
    -Wednesday - off
    -Thursday - off
    -Friday - legs
    -Saturday - ?

where should I work cardio into? how should I modify the above schedule? I know what worked for me in undergrad (not what is listed above), but I had a much easier schedule given my time and had a gym right down the street from my dorm.

any help would be great. thanks
    reverse your sets: go heavy to low weight. do 6 (heaviest weight), 8 (lower weight), 10 (lower weight), then 12 (lowest weight). Take 2 minutes rest between sets.
    Sonix Blastors is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-14-2014, 06:35 AM   #5320
    cry_minarets458
    MM#45 Wacco for Flacco

Location: Give me BETHEL or give me death.... death, death it is then

Shows Seen: 62

DMB Hub Stubs: 21

My Tour Central Stats

I'll try that. Thanks for the tips

I've had minimal results but admit my workouts are only a half hour long. I feel much better so I'm happy that when my next rotation for school is easier and less time consuming, I'll be less sore jumping into a more rigorous routine. Will try above. Thanks!!
    *renounces DMB fandom*
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prime Minister
    In fairness Brian Wilson's Beard > Amy Winehouse & the grammys & spoot.
    cry_minarets458 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-14-2014, 07:07 AM   #5321
    fridge112887
    William Perry

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Sonix Blastors View Post
    reverse your sets: go heavy to low weight. do 6 (heaviest weight), 8 (lower weight), 10 (lower weight), then 12 (lowest weight). Take 2 minutes rest between sets.
    Can't go wrong with reverse pyramid style training. My favorite method and to me, the most logical
    Old 09-14-2014, 06:54 PM   #5322
    WidespreadMule3

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by fridge112887 View Post
    Few questions for you:

-What else have you changed (diet wise, specifically)?

-What brand of protein are you consuming (could this weight gain be due in part of "fillers" from the protein or weight gainer)?
    I haven't changed my diet except adding more protein (lots of eggs, chicken breasts and tuna) and trying to consume more vegetables (specifically beans).

And I'm using Allmax Nutrition Isoflex protein powder. It came recommended on the boards of Bodybuilding.com. I had to do some research to find a lactose-free protein powder and this came very highly recommended by several people and it has glowing reviews everywhere else. I usually mix it with water or some soy milk when I eat cereal.
    Old 09-14-2014, 07:41 PM   #5323
    fridge112887
    William Perry

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    I haven't changed my diet except adding more protein (lots of eggs, chicken breasts and tuna) and trying to consume more vegetables (specifically beans).

And I'm using Allmax Nutrition Isoflex protein powder. It came recommended on the boards of Bodybuilding.com. I had to do some research to find a lactose-free protein powder and this came very highly recommended by several people and it has glowing reviews everywhere else. I usually mix it with water or some soy milk when I eat cereal.
    I'm willing to bet this accounts for that weight gain rather than drinking your protein.
    Old 09-15-2014, 10:23 AM   #5324
    WidespreadMule3

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    I'm willing to bet this accounts for that weight gain rather than drinking your protein.
    Is that bad weight gain though? I mean it's only about 2 lbs a week which isn't crazy to me. I haven't upped my chicken, eggs and tuna intake by that much. It's literally like 1 extra egg every other day and chicken two nights a week instead of one.
    Old 09-15-2014, 12:06 PM   #5325
    dobyblue

Shows Seen: 63

DMB Hub Stubs: 18

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:

The Allmax uses two artificial sweeteners and doesn't list the source of the whey so IMO it is most likely North American CAFO-raised cows and they don't list what either the "natural" or "artificial" flavors are. I disagree with their stance on isolates vs. concentrates, isolates are almost always exposed to processing with acid that strips key amino acids.

Protein 17 is worth looking into - http://www.grass-fedwhey.com/
    (http://www.amazon.com/Organic-Whey-P.../dp/B00C4YTXSK)

Ergogenics and Progressive also use grass-fed whey. Mercola's is good too (http://proteinpowder.mercola.com/Mir...y-Protein.html) but ridiculously expensive and no better than the others IMO...however the page does provide some useful info as does the P17 page.
    Old 10-01-2014, 12:30 PM   #5326
    fridge112887
    William Perry

My Tour Central Stats

Would anyone happen to have the latest 10% off coupon code for BB.com? Thanks
    Old 10-10-2014, 10:20 AM   #5327
    dmbredsox36
    'celebrate we will'

Shows Seen: 0

DMB Hub Stubs: 1

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Would anyone happen to have the latest 10% off coupon code for BB.com? Thanks
    Still looking for one myself. These seem to be drying up on the web - or at least they're becoming harder to find?
    dmbredsox36 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 10-15-2014, 06:51 AM   #5328
    jwehaeDMB
    Juice

Shows Seen: 76

My Tour Central Stats

Does anyone ever get extremely tired during a work out? Last night I thought I was going to pass out and I didn't even do a full routine, which isn't intense by any means. Any recommendations for something to power through with more energy? I only take whey post-workout.

I get between 7-8 hrs of sleep a night, and sit at a desk all day long. Yet sometimes I get so tired to continue the workout.
    Atlanta 2006, my wife and I enjoyed a great show. I drank moderately and had a bite to eat before leaving. Upon our arrival home we had intercourse in the missionary position for the sole purpose of procreation. A child was concieved and is now the light of our lives.
    jwehaeDMB is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 10-15-2014, 07:36 AM   #5329
    thom hudson
    Cold Noses

Shows Seen: 26

My Tour Central Stats

chest day brahz

ah yeah
    Old 10-15-2014, 08:14 AM   #5330
    clayj41

Shows Seen: 34

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by jwehaeDMB View Post
    Does anyone ever get extremely tired during a work out? Last night I thought I was going to pass out and I didn't even do a full routine, which isn't intense by any means. Any recommendations for something to power through with more energy? I only take whey post-workout.

I get between 7-8 hrs of sleep a night, and sit at a desk all day long. Yet sometimes I get so tired to continue the workout.
    I drink this stuff during my workouts:

http://www.scivation.com/product/xtend/
    clayj41 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 10-15-2014, 08:23 AM   #5331
    jwehaeDMB
    Juice

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by clayj41 View Post
    I drink this stuff during my workouts:

http://www.scivation.com/product/xtend/
    Do you buy from their site?
    Atlanta 2006, my wife and I enjoyed a great show. I drank moderately and had a bite to eat before leaving. Upon our arrival home we had intercourse in the missionary position for the sole purpose of procreation. A child was concieved and is now the light of our lives.
    Old 10-15-2014, 08:26 AM   #5332
    clayj41

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Do you buy from their site?
    God, no. You can usually find it priced cheaper with online retailers, especially if you bundle it with whey or other supplements.
    Old 10-15-2014, 08:30 AM   #5333
    jwehaeDMB
    Juice

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by clayj41 View Post
    God, no. You can usually find it priced cheaper with online retailers, especially if you bundle it with whey or other supplements.
    I was gonna say....90 bones!? I'd rather fight the yawns
    Old 10-15-2014, 08:32 AM   #5334
    clayj41

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    I was gonna say....90 bones!? I'd rather fight the yawns
    http://www.bodybuilding.com/store/sv/xtend.html
    Old 11-10-2014, 10:58 AM   #5335
    WidespreadMule3

My Tour Central Stats

Just finished one of the harder workouts I've done coupled with starting my new "diet" aka lifestyle of eating
    Click the "Show Spoiler" Button to reveal hidden text.
    Old 11-10-2014, 08:14 PM   #5336
    fridge112887
    William Perry

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Just finished one of the harder workouts I've done coupled with starting my new "diet" aka lifestyle of eating
    Click the "Show Spoiler" Button to reveal hidden text.
    I won't touch upon your diet, but I would suggest moving your days around. Switch your "push" and "pull" days around, alternating between the two.
    Old 11-10-2014, 09:24 PM   #5337
    WidespreadMule3

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    I won't touch upon your diet, but I would suggest moving your days around. Switch your "push" and "pull" days around, alternating between the two.
    I keep hearing about push and pull - is push chest, bicep, shoulders & pull - back, triceps?

Also, is my diet way out of whack? I tried to model it after an article I read on Bodybuilding.com about being lean. I've reached 200 which was my goal but it's more fat than I'd like and I know this because none of my pants fit right in the waist anymore.
    Old 11-10-2014, 09:39 PM   #5338
    fridge112887
    William Perry

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    I keep hearing about push and pull - is push chest, bicep, shoulders & pull - back, triceps?

Also, is my diet way out of whack? I tried to model it after an article I read on Bodybuilding.com about being lean. I've reached 200 which was my goal but it's more fat than I'd like and I know this because none of my pants fit right in the waist anymore.
    Out of those five regions, push would be considered: chest, shoulders, and triceps. The other two (back and biceps) are pull.

The diet isn't terrible but it's rather empty. What is your main goal? Have you mapped it out to see what the calorie count for the day is? My biggest gripe(s) are the slices of turkey and the inbetween protein powder/bar. Is the turkey sliced from a deli? If so, it's not as bad....I'd at least add more. This is coming from a guy that eats 1lb of meat purchased from a butcher post workout so naturally I'm going to tell someone to go heavier on the meat

Last edited by fridge112887; 11-10-2014 at 09:40 PM.
    fridge112887 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 11-11-2014, 07:30 AM   #5339
    WidespreadMule3

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Out of those five regions, push would be considered: chest, shoulders, and triceps. The other two (back and biceps) are pull.

The diet isn't terrible but it's rather empty. What is your main goal? Have you mapped it out to see what the calorie count for the day is? My biggest gripe(s) are the slices of turkey and the inbetween protein powder/bar. Is the turkey sliced from a deli? If so, it's not as bad....I'd at least add more. This is coming from a guy that eats 1lb of meat purchased from a butcher post workout so naturally I'm going to tell someone to go heavier on the meat
    My goal is to be still eat tons of protein because I want to continue building my muscles but I've really gotta shed some of the belly weight. Truthfully, the only reason I'm trying to lean up is because my pants don't fit and I just invested several $100 last year in new dress pants and I don't want to have to buy new ones. I'd rather slim down a little so I can fit in them. That's more why my diet is empty and so protein-centraled.

Also, the turkey was probably a quarter of an inch thick. I normally never left lunch hungry. A lot of what I'm trying to learn with the diet too is portion control, I use to sit down and eat two pork chops and two cans of vegetables a night. My appetite (rather my stomach) was huge.
    Old 11-11-2014, 07:45 AM   #5340
    M. Steng
    Empowered & Informed.

Shows Seen: 21

DMB Hub Stubs: 14

My Tour Central Stats

I've always thought it was counter-productive to try to eat less when you're working out hard. Whenever I'm in a good groove with daily exercise, I'm always starving because my muscles are constantly craving nutrition. The key, IMO, isn't to eat less, but to just give the body what it wants: nutritious, filling foods. If you look at some of the most in-shape guys around, they eat a ridiculous amount of calories per day. I think I read that Michael Phelps was eating 10,000 calories a day while he was training for the Olympics. Obviously, none of us are Olympic athletes, but I think the principle still holds true: when you're working out hard, eat more, not less. The only time I try to reduce my calorie intake is around this time of year when I have finals coming up and can't hit the gym as frequently. The biggest thing is to eat healthier, not less overall.