The Investment Thread (help with savings, stocks, retirement funds, etc.) - Page 3 - Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion

Go Back   Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion > General Discussion > nDMBc Discussion

Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here

Old 07-19-2013, 07:56 AM   #61
unccrombie
HairSlkdBakWayfarersOn

Shows Seen: 46

DMB Hub Stubs: 20

My Tour Central Stats

Re: The Investment Thread (help with savings, stocks, retirement funds, etc.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beefsteak1138 View Post
NFCU is great. I have all of my accounts there.
good to hear. im trying to switch out from BoA, think im going to put my checking with USAA though
unccrombie is offline   Reply With Quote

• Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here
  • Old 07-19-2013, 08:45 AM   #62
    Tiduwho
    heh heh heh

Shows Seen: 0

DMB Hub Stubs: 1

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by AJF_41 View Post
    sounds like you know a fair amount about market timing.

what do you do again for a living tiduwho?

I don't market time. I just had the luck of starting when the market was down significantly ----- most of the dollars I invested personally was in late 2008 and during 2009. So while it's been an interesting hobby to follow, I would've gotten close to the same return had I just put it all into the S&P 500 index.

My biggest mistake was buying Apple @ $534. Talk about a falling knife. But eh, like most people, I'm looking very long term and thus will be holding for quite a long time.

My advice was more simple: Keep in mind where the market is at. We're butting up against record highs all the time. If you're not in now, keep that in mind before you jump in.

It's a lot easier to get returns because the whole market is heading up, than individual fund/stock/bond picking returns. Like in my own example. Just lucky to come in at a good time.

"And later I talk to former Presidential candidate Gary Hart and tell him how more Democrats should follow his example -- and leave politics."

- Stephen Colbert

Last edited by Tiduwho; 07-19-2013 at 08:47 AM.
    Tiduwho is online now   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-19-2013, 09:44 AM   #63
    UNC41
    Gimme Dat

DMB Hub Stubs: 2

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by smokew11 View Post
    absolutely, but I was talking specifically about that $24. Its only $24, it doesnt (i hope) make much of a difference if you have it or not right away, so why not let it roll for x-amount of years and cash out when you leave the company or retire? You can still invest in other stocks or funds, but that little return your getting could be a nice resigning/retirement bonus
    It's $24 per share, which ends up being a couple grand. Right now I would rather put it towards my wedding, a house downpayment, my Roth or student loans than keep it in company stock. Once the health care industry stabalizes post-Obamacare I might be inclined to keep some in the company, but not right now.

You white, then you Ben Affleck.
    UNC41 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-19-2013, 11:16 AM   #64
    smokew11
    1-0

Shows Seen: 40

DMB Hub Stubs: 18

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by UNC41 View Post
    It's $24 per share, which ends up being a couple grand. Right now I would rather put it towards my wedding, a house downpayment, my Roth or student loans than keep it in company stock. Once the health care industry stabalizes post-Obamacare I might be inclined to keep some in the company, but not right now.
    ok that makes more sense...when you said you can only buy up to a small % of your paycheck, I assumed you were only buying a few shares
    Old 07-19-2013, 11:33 AM   #65
    Nick@Night
    Big Nick Energy

Shows Seen: 16

DMB Hub Stubs: 11

My Tour Central Stats

I put 6% of my salary in to my 401(k) and the company matches that dollar for dollar each quarter in company stock. Right now my portfolio is 87% target fund, 13% company stock.
    Old 07-19-2013, 11:50 AM   #66
    Tiduwho
    heh heh heh

My Tour Central Stats

Wow Microsoft got crushed today, down 12%. Glad I'm not involved w that.

"And later I talk to former Presidential candidate Gary Hart and tell him how more Democrats should follow his example -- and leave politics."

- Stephen Colbert
    Old 07-19-2013, 12:26 PM   #67
    dreamingrace
    every hue inside of you

Shows Seen: 90

DMB Hub Stubs: 23

My Tour Central Stats

Does anyone, successfully, do online trading? If so I would love to know what you feel is the best organization go with.

I am going to start dabbling with this very soon. It's all such a huge grey area for me.
    dreamingrace is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-19-2013, 12:30 PM   #68
    Nick@Night
    Big Nick Energy

Shows Seen: 16

DMB Hub Stubs: 11

My Tour Central Stats

If I had the extra cash I would love to try the online trading thing. I signed up with a Sharebuilder account on ING (prior to being purchased by Chase) but never funded it.
    Old 07-19-2013, 12:33 PM   #69
    dreamingrace
    every hue inside of you

Shows Seen: 90

DMB Hub Stubs: 23

My Tour Central Stats

I've heard of E-trade. I would have to get a good lesson on what the heck it is I'm doing before I begin...
    dreamingrace is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-19-2013, 12:58 PM   #70
    Tiduwho
    heh heh heh

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    sounds like you know a fair amount about market timing.

what do you do again for a living tiduwho?
    Here's a good article today:

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/buy...dist=countdown

- Stephen Colbert
    Old 07-19-2013, 01:16 PM   #71
    ryguy469

Shows Seen: 24

DMB Hub Stubs: 9

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by dreamingrace View Post
    Does anyone, successfully, do online trading? If so I would love to know what you feel is the best organization go with.

I am going to start dabbling with this very soon. It's all such a huge grey area for me.
    Don't take this personally, but if stocks are anything near a grey area for you, I would not recommend opening up an account on E*Trade or Scottrade. You should talk to the financial advisor at wherever you bank for advice first and foremost. Won't cost you anything to at least spitball some ideas.

If you are going to opening day trading account, you should be adjusting at least quarterly to maximize gains. It doesn't make sense to open an account and just "Buy and Hold". Might as well buy an index or fund where professionals will readjust the portfolio for you.
    ryguy469 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-19-2013, 01:18 PM   #72
    ryguy469

DMB Hub Stubs: 9

My Tour Central Stats

The key with everything investing is diversification. It's the only way to survive bull and bear markets.
    ryguy469 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-19-2013, 03:53 PM   #73
    Tiduwho
    heh heh heh

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ryguy469 View Post
    Don't take this personally, but if stocks are anything near a grey area for you, I would not recommend opening up an account on E*Trade or Scottrade. You should talk to the financial advisor at wherever you bank for advice first and foremost. Won't cost you anything to at least spitball some ideas.

If you are going to opening day trading account, you should be adjusting at least quarterly to maximize gains. It doesn't make sense to open an account and just "Buy and Hold". Might as well buy an index or fund where professionals will readjust the portfolio for you.
    Here's that advice put more bluntly: If you don't know what you're doing, don't day trade. Period.

Don't "dabble" with E-trade and the rest. Talk to a professional. Otherwise you are probably going to be throwing money down the drain.

You might make $400 and pat yourself on the back. But had you invested in a simple index fund, you could have made $1000. On the other end, you might make that money quick and get excited. Only to watch it fall a month or two later.

Don't day trade. Every time I look at someone's tax return and I see that they are day trading, I want to turn them down for a loan outright. When I see this "hobby" it almost always under-paces the market. And a lot of people lose their ass.

- Stephen Colbert

Last edited by Tiduwho; 07-19-2013 at 03:55 PM.
    Old 07-19-2013, 07:07 PM   #74
    matthewdaves187
    John 3:16

Shows Seen: 7

DMB Hub Stubs: 8

My Tour Central Stats

I too, use Sharebuilder. I only own one stock (APPLE)--so I am looking to diversify. Real estate seems like it could be a good place to go, as well as some other stocks--I'm thinking about companies who are involved with fracking--might be smart move.
    Old 07-19-2013, 09:12 PM   #75
    mr.MikeD
    Heisenberg says "relax"

Shows Seen: 1

DMB Hub Stubs: 3

My Tour Central Stats

About 30 years ago I put everything in the Detroit real estate market. Doing pretty well.
    mr.MikeD is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-19-2013, 09:33 PM   #76
    Tiduwho
    heh heh heh

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by mr.MikeD View Post
    About 30 years ago I put everything in the Detroit real estate market. Doing pretty well.
    You could probably buy a house in Detroit online for about a $1,000. It might be cool to say you own a house there.

I wouldn't recommend ever going there though. Just stick to the google earth drive-by's if anyone wants to see it.

- Stephen Colbert
    Old 07-29-2013, 10:22 AM   #77
    Tiduwho
    heh heh heh

My Tour Central Stats

I'm about to start reading "Rich Dad, Poor Dad" and "The Millionaire Next Door".

Any opinions on these books?

- Stephen Colbert
    Old 07-29-2013, 10:45 AM   #78
    Lee3691

Shows Seen: 129

DMB Hub Stubs: 30

My Tour Central Stats

Rich Dad, Poor Dad is an awesome read. I haven't read the other selection, but RDPD is probably the best financial book I've read.
    Lee3691 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 08-15-2013, 07:04 AM   #79
    unccrombie
    HairSlkdBakWayfarersOn

My Tour Central Stats

thinking of doing a 50/50 split between these 2 funds at work. can anyone offer the main differences (sectors, holdings). obviously the lifepath is fluctuating mix of stocks, bonds, etc. that seem to be lower risk. and the growth index is top companies, with potential higher risk.

Growth Index: https://ecap.ingplans.com/static/epweb/pdf/ffs/BZ59.PDF
    Lifepath: https://ecap.ingplans.com/static/epweb/pdf/ffs/BZ41.PDF

currently at 100% with the lifepath. There is also the value index, which seems to be mainly financials and s&p based: https://ecap.ingplans.com/static/epweb/pdf/ffs/BZ58.PDF

Last edited by unccrombie; 08-15-2013 at 07:07 AM.
    Old 08-15-2013, 07:20 AM   #80
    Arby
    We Have The Meats

DMB Hub Stubs: 12

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tiduwho View Post
    I'm about to start reading "Rich Dad, Poor Dad" and "The Millionaire Next Door".

Any opinions on these books?
    So weird that this thread be topped and I see this post. Im actually in the middle of The Millionaire Next Door right now.

Its an interesting read. In a nutshell, it's saying you are spending too much money. Start being more frugal and start saving and investing.
    Old 08-15-2013, 07:20 AM   #81
    AJF_41

Shows Seen: 27

DMB Hub Stubs: 10

My Tour Central Stats

it looks like that lifepath fund..is already 52% RLG (large cap growth).

so that's your current mix right now.

if you split 50/50, with the other 50% now RLG...you'd actually just be taking your total large cap growth allocation to ~76%.

value has been outperforming growth for the last two years...growth over the last 10 years...and last 1 year.

the difference between the two shouldn't be overly meaningful over the long term.

growing vinyl collection: https://www.discogs.com/user/AJF_41/collection/covers
    AJF_41 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 08-15-2013, 07:28 AM   #82
    unccrombie
    HairSlkdBakWayfarersOn

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    it looks like that lifepath fund..is already 52% RLG (large cap growth).

so that's your current mix right now.

if you split 50/50, with the other 50% now RLG...you'd actually just be taking your total large cap growth allocation to ~76%.

value has been outperforming growth for the last two years...growth over the last 10 years...and last 1 year.

the difference between the two shouldn't be overly meaningful over the long term.
    how do i know it's not the value russel fund that's at 52%?
    Old 08-15-2013, 07:33 AM   #83
    AJF_41

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by unccrombie View Post
    how do i know it's not the value russel fund that's at 52%?
    opp. my bad.

lifepath is just russell 1000 (IWB)...so it's a mix of both (roughly 50/50 growth/value). either way, it wouldn't really be changing your exposures in aggragate...it would just be shifting slighly more towards US equities. it's not going to make or break you either way.

Old 08-15-2013, 07:42 AM   #84
    unccrombie
    HairSlkdBakWayfarersOn

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    opp. my bad.

lifepath is just russell 1000 (IWB)...so it's a mix of both (roughly 50/50 growth/value). either way, it wouldn't really be changing your exposures in aggragate...it would just be shifting slighly more towards US equities. it's not going to make or break you either way.
    ok cool. good stuff to know.
    Old 08-15-2013, 08:22 AM   #85
    jray1823

Shows Seen: 34

DMB Hub Stubs: 17

My Tour Central Stats

I have a question for you investments guys. I do not want to put money into a 410K because I don't plan on living past 70. I do want to have a kickass retirement from 50-70 though. What should I invest in? Mutual Funds?
    jray1823 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 08-15-2013, 08:34 AM   #86
    cazzie34
    Gummy Oatmeal

Shows Seen: 9

DMB Hub Stubs: 8

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by jray1823 View Post
    I have a question for you investments guys. I do not want to put money into a 410K because I don't plan on living past 70. I do want to have a kickass retirement from 50-70 though. What should I invest in? Mutual Funds?
    "No More Games. No More Bombs. No More Walking. No More Fun. No More Swimming. 67. That is 17 years past 50. 17 more than I needed or wanted. Boring. I am always bitchy. No Fun – for anybody. 67. You are getting Greedy. Act your old age. Relax – This won’t hurt."

Just change the numbers around a little bit.

The longer I live, the more I read, the more patiently I think and the more anxiously I inquire; the less I seem to know.
    cazzie34 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 08-15-2013, 08:43 AM   #87
    Arby
    We Have The Meats

My Tour Central Stats

I have an investment question:

The book I am reading, The Millionaire Next Door, seems to be talking about lowering your realized/taxable income by investing into other things like a 401k or whatever. For a 401k, obviously the money you put into that is not taxed - in essence you are kind of paying less taxes because your 'realized' income is smaller.

My question is, what are other ways of investing (other than a 401k) that can circumvent income taxes in this way? Roth IRA, stock market, mutual funds? Are those handled in a similar way or completely different?
    Old 08-15-2013, 08:44 AM   #88
    AJF_41

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by jray1823 View Post
    the upside of a 401k is the tax benefits.

i think both roth iras and 401k's have the same 59.5 age level for distributions.

if you don't want to wait that long, you would just get a standard taxable account.

you can invest in "mutual funds" with all of those options.

there's a difference between what account you have/use and what you buy within that account. there seems to have some confusion here.

Old 08-15-2013, 08:45 AM   #89
    AJF_41

My Tour Central Stats

woah

** somewhat nsync with arby **

also kind of proved my point

Old 08-15-2013, 08:48 AM   #90
    Arby
    We Have The Meats

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    the upside of a 401k is the tax benefits.

i think both roth iras and 401k's have the same 59.5 age level for distributions.

if you don't want to wait that long, you would just get a standard taxable account.

you can invest in "mutual funds" with all of those options.

there's a difference between what account you have/use and what you buy within that account. there seems to have some confusion here.
    Very nsync!

So in order to get around taxes, these other things - roth IRL for example - would have to be set up with your employer, correct? Since it needs to be taken out of your paycheck?