The BBC's SHERLOCK starring Benedict Cumberpatch & Martin Freeman - Page 3 - Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion

Go Back   Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion > General Discussion > nDMBc Discussion

Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here

Old 01-12-2014, 05:52 PM   #61
junior94
not a unique snowflake

Shows Seen: 2

DMB Hub Stubs: 4

My Tour Central Stats

Re: The BBC's SHERLOCK starring Benedict Cumberpatch & Martin Freeman

Well the word I'd heard recently, that series 3 was going to have a cliffhanger just as big as if not even bigger than series 2's was. woooooowwwww. Just finished "His Last Vow", this was fucking mindblowing. And I mean, being as huge a canon fan that I am, I kind of already had a general idea where they were going after the end of series 2, but with this... they really are off the reservation (though in such a (possibly) awesome way).

and, now we've got word that series 4 and 5 are basically already both plotted out, and shooting for series 4 is officially signed for, just not known yet. At least Martin's pretty much done with The Hobbit now. Especially with the way Moffat announced that s4 & 5 were already figured out, I'd love if they turn around and tell us that both series will more or less be shot in one big overall block. and I wouldn't mind even if they still wanted to put like 6 months in between the broadcast of each season.

"Ohh, why do my actions have consequences?!?!" - Homer J. Simpson
junior94 is offline   Reply With Quote

• Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here
  • Old 01-18-2014, 01:03 PM   #62
    JRS1386
    Heeeeeeeere's Gritty

Shows Seen: 6

My Tour Central Stats

Just finished Season 3. The Wedding episode was phenomenal. This show is so awesome

https://antsmarching.org/forum/showp...stcount=126148
    JRS1386 is online now   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-18-2014, 01:08 PM   #63
    junior94
    not a unique snowflake

My Tour Central Stats

oh and forgot to mention, I just about flipped out when I opened my mailbox yesterday. Sherlock is the cover story for Entertainment Weekly this week, with a big fat headshot of BC on the front. actually there's a whole sort of sub-story about the renewed appreciation of British TV over here in the states, thanks to so much streaming online. hell the hours I've wiled away on youtube with so many of the brilliantly funny comedy/panel shows that the BBC and Channel 5 has, etc...

It's still kinda weird to think there are all these people who are only just now watching the episodes I've already watched the majority of these last 3 like at least 4 times now.

Though I do have to admit, multiple viewings now of "His Last Vow" has let the seams more easily standout of some plot holes and general story problems.

Last edited by junior94; 01-18-2014 at 01:10 PM.
    Old 01-30-2014, 05:19 AM   #64
    Panther41
    Since 1995

Shows Seen: 0

DMB Hub Stubs: 1

My Tour Central Stats

Fantastic show that I cannot say enough good things about. The chemistry among the actors is phenomenal, the cinematography & editing style are adventurous and interesting, and the performances themselves are pitch-perfect. I'm really glad they limit themselves to 3 episodes each season, (a) because it's easy to keep up and (b) because we don't have a chance to get burnt out on the characters or see them diluted with filler episodes. Sure, there are television shows that go full seasons without losing the potency of their characters, but the intensity of each Sherlock episode if part of the pleasure.

Click the "Show Spoiler" Button to reveal hidden text.
    Panther41 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 02-10-2014, 06:49 AM   #65
    two-by-twostep

Shows Seen: 16

DMB Hub Stubs: 9

My Tour Central Stats

FINALLY got to watch and finish series/season 3. I was going to respect the PBS broadcast and not torrent the series....until I found out that my local PBS station wasn't broadcasting the series starting January 19th, but instead made the wise choice to broadcast starting February 13th. What the hell kind of bullshit is that?? So I downloaded the series immediately but due to wedding planning my fiancee and I were only able to finish the series yesterday.

Warning: Spoilers below.
    Click the "Show Spoiler" Button to reveal hidden text.

All that said, the writing / acting / directing / etc, etc is just so damn good I have every confidence that series 4 and 5 with continue being as excellent as the first 3.

Last edited by two-by-twostep; 02-10-2014 at 06:50 AM.
    two-by-twostep is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 02-10-2014, 07:51 PM   #66
    Tomriddle
    Ga Ga Ooh La La

My Tour Central Stats

Last Vow was awesome. I could really have done with more CAM, that guy was badass. And the cliffhanger? Ultra badass.

I will say that Season 3 needed some more Sherlock sleuthing, though... I understand they were going for a different thing this season, but it's not entirely to my liking.
    Tomriddle is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 02-10-2014, 07:54 PM   #67
    JRS1386
    Heeeeeeeere's Gritty

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by DMBenjamin View Post
    FINALLY got to watch and finish series/season 3. I was going to respect the PBS broadcast and not torrent the series....until I found out that my local PBS station wasn't broadcasting the series starting January 19th, but instead made the wise choice to broadcast starting February 13th. What the hell kind of bullshit is that?? So I downloaded the series immediately but due to wedding planning my fiancee and I were only able to finish the series yesterday.

Warning: Spoilers below.

Blah, blah... teleblah

All that said, the writing / acting / directing / etc, etc is just so damn good I have every confidence that series 4 and 5 with continue being as excellent as the first 3.
    Dude... [ spoiler] [ /spoiler] next time

Old 02-10-2014, 08:17 PM   #68
    junior94
    not a unique snowflake

My Tour Central Stats

I don't really personally mind at all, but it feels like DMBenjamin has been around here well long enough that he knows how to use a real spoiler tag. It seems kinda odd you'd bother to write out "warning spoilers", and not simply use the actual tag, if you really do intend to not mess up other people. but whatever.

The whole thing with the cliffhanger for me, what makes it weird is, I feel like ultimately the full quality of this episode can't be judged until I know where they're going with this twist. because there's a certain element just on the surface that's like "are you fucking kidding me? You just bring him back to life like that?" Like it's potentially REALLY lame, you had such a great overall story for the Moriarty character, this is something a very standard network drama would do. Plus it's allowing just an absurdly easy out for the character of Sherlock, after the hell he was looking at for the action he took.
    BUT... that's looking at it thru the worst possible lens. Steven Moffat and Mark Gatiss have shown me enough overall that I'm perfectly willing to give them the benefit of the doubt. That doing such a potentially cheesy twist like that will be VERY worth it in the end. I mean like I think I said before, there's a "three Moriartys" thing that other people mention from canon, but nothing about that immediately springs to mind (despite how much a fan I am). Because it can't simply be the same guy, if there will be a living, breathing Moriarty in series 4. He's dead, and I don't see this show going the supernatural route. So if it's a twin (or one of triplets) brother or what, I don't know...

and btw, just to reiterate/build on what I said previously, multiple viewings of each of the episodes now, The Last Vow has easily become the "worst" of series 3 for me now. But of course that's not to say it's bad. It's more about how crazy fucking good that The Sign Of Three was. I mean one of the episodes has to rank "last".

Last edited by junior94; 02-10-2014 at 08:20 PM.
    Old 02-10-2014, 08:27 PM   #69
    JRS1386
    Heeeeeeeere's Gritty

My Tour Central Stats

Maybe it is some sort of deadman's release shit. Once Moriarty was dead for a while he had a plan set in motion for shit to go down with him no longer around? It is really hard to guess where this show is going (which is a good thing).

Old 07-07-2014, 03:59 PM   #70
    whodat
    CA Dreamin'

Shows Seen: 68

DMB Hub Stubs: 20

My Tour Central Stats

My wife has been into this show since Day 1 and she got me to FINALLY watch the initial episode this weekend on Netflix. Needless to day, I am hooked. The writing, acting, filming, stories, how the characters mesh on screen, the simple effects showing you how Sherlock's mind works, the integration of today's technology into the story but still sticking with the original premise of the characters... could go on and on. Bottom line, top notch show. Only 2 episodes in and can't wait to watch another tonight.
    Old 07-07-2014, 07:28 PM   #71
    jayman414
    GO PACK GO

Shows Seen: 38

DMB Hub Stubs: 17

My Tour Central Stats

I have read that a special episode will take place before season 4 starts. I am not sure if that means an episode by the end of the year or not but it might mean a Christmas special depending on what you read.

jayman414 is online now   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-07-2014, 07:35 PM   #72
    DoDaFoo
    I'll do the same

Shows Seen: 100

DMB Hub Stubs: 28

My Tour Central Stats

The Christmas special won't air until Christmas of 2015. So we have a year and a half til we get a new episode.

2024 - D&T Mexico for my 100th show! + Pine Knob, SPAC, Gorge, and Bourbon & Beyond
    DoDaFoo is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-07-2014, 07:41 PM   #73
    junior94
    not a unique snowflake

My Tour Central Stats

yea and if I'm remembering what I read right about the shooting, we then won't even be getting the three series 4 episodes until way into the latter half of 2016.

Old 07-07-2014, 08:18 PM   #74
    JRS1386
    Heeeeeeeere's Gritty

My Tour Central Stats

Such a fantastic series, sucks about the scheduling

Old 07-18-2014, 02:24 PM   #75
    RJP2741

Shows Seen: 42

DMB Hub Stubs: 15

My Tour Central Stats

I just finished watching all 3 seasons/series over the last 2 weeks. Cumberbatch is amazing, he and Freeman have great chemistry. The show is at its best, imo, when Moriarty is in play, so I'm very excited to see where this goes in Season 4.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by HoldemHart View Post
    Once again RJ brings the knowledge.
    RJP2741 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-18-2014, 05:33 PM   #76
    junior94
    not a unique snowflake

My Tour Central Stats

They aren't nearly quite the same "flavor", but for those of you who've now really gotten into the characters from this show, to hold you over you might find it worth it to go and check out the Jeremy Brett series from the 80s/90s. Cumberbatch himself has cited it as a touchstone, and a lot of hardcore fans have liked Brett's take the most over the years. I think most if not all of them are on netflix (and failing that, youtube). It's more of a straight up adaptation of the original stories, and taking place back when they were written.

Old 01-02-2016, 04:23 PM   #77
    junior94
    not a unique snowflake

My Tour Central Stats

Well I've definitely already heard from some others that were (even massively?) disappointed by this Christmas special, using the "it was all a dream" crutch. But no, I've said for a long time now, you CAN get away with 'it was all a dream' as the ultimate answer for your story, if it's not just done for the sake of itself, and the writers had just boxed themselves into a corner. But here it was used in a very specific way, it was all handled in a proper context, and I was thoroughly entertained by it. I'd had a sneaking suspicion for a long time now that despite Moffat's remarks to the contrary (seriously, do fans not realize how much he's just straight up lying in interviews constantly when talking about either Sherlock or Doctor Who?), it was NOT going to be just entirely this fun little one-off special. That "oh wouldn't it be cool if we could just once use our actors but playing in the original time period?" was not going to be that simple and straight forward. I didn't know HOW exactly it would be, but I was confident it would be ultimately tied to the series proper in some way, and I mean beyond just cheeky dialogue references.

And in fact one theory I've already heard by several people that's pretty damn interesting, is a play on Sherlock insisting to John that "it's never twins!" But remember, twins doesn't always mean the same gender. That what was going on in the 1880s story was an allusion to the fact that Janine is Moriarty's sister, and has been aligned with him for the entire show. That yea, they stated unequivocally that Moriarty IS DEAD, but that doesn't mean he couldn't have had a shit ton of plans set to be pushed into motion by others in his absence. And that Janine could be an integral part of that. They do have a general enough sort of a resemblance, and they're both Irish.

Alright and this is totally aside from the Abominable Bride special episode here, but when doing some reading earlier today I came across this older theory. Although I think the evidence already shows this is absolutely true. That, if you remember the woman who was the jury foreman for Moriarty's trial in 2x03 "The Reichenbach Fall", her kids that she saw on the hotel room TV were being threatened to insure she'd help get him aquitted... well that was the very same family that the cab driver from 1x01 "A Study In Pink" was poisoning people on behalf of Moriarty to protect and make them as much money as possible.

http://writemeastoryofsolitude.tumbl...ies-in-asip-or

Old 01-14-2016, 08:23 PM   #78
    Jake

Shows Seen: 61

DMB Hub Stubs: 19

My Tour Central Stats

I rather enjoyed that episode... makes me want to rewatch the whole series yet again
    Jake is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-24-2016, 12:06 PM   #79
    junior94
    not a unique snowflake

My Tour Central Stats

so we've got not just the new series 4 teaser

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D-hNzXaNi8Y

But also the 3 keywords they usually put out during the hiatus that, in SOME (possibly very convoluted) way point to what each of the episodes may be about.
    This year's are...

Thatcher
    Smith
    Sherrinford

Old 07-24-2016, 05:34 PM   #80
    Tomriddle
    Ga Ga Ooh La La

My Tour Central Stats

I rather enjoyed the Christmas Special (within reason), and am looking forward to Season 4
    Old 07-25-2016, 04:40 PM   #81
    Tomriddle
    Ga Ga Ooh La La

My Tour Central Stats

Just saw the Season 4 teaser, and goddamn, it looks fantastic.
    Old 10-26-2016, 08:08 PM   #82
    junior94
    not a unique snowflake

My Tour Central Stats

To regular viewers of the show this isn't in the least surprising, we all expected it but still it's nice to get official confirmation. The series 4 premiere will debut on January 1, 2017, on BBC over there and PBS here on the same day. The next two episodes will air on the subsequent sunday nights, same exact thing they did in 2015 with series 3 (and the special last new years day).

The premiere is titled The Six Thatchers, which is a play on the ACD short story The Six Napoleans where a thief on the run from the cops stashes the goods in the mold that's being used to produce a bunch of Napolean statues in bulk in this factory. The beef of the story is the guy then going around and destroying each statue he can find (and killing the owner) cause he doesn't know which one contains the stuff he stole.

We know episode 2 is titled The Lying Detective, a reference to The Dying Detective, and this is the one that seems to be the main one featuring this new villain Culverton Smith played by Toby Jones seen in the trailer. while the Dying Detective is by itself definitely a good SH story, initially I really didn't think they'd go in that direction yet given what they've done in the series so far, just that cause the crux of it is Holmes secretly portraying himself as being totally at death's door to fool the man who's trying to kill him. So I didn't really see a big "death fake out" happening this soon after series 2. But, obviously Moffat & Gatiss have never done just straight up adaptations of the stories, for one thing almost all of them aren't nearly long enough for that in their format (hell even the Jeremy Brett 80s/90s series had to wind up padding out most stories for their 43 minute episodes).

They have so far held back the title for episode 3, presumably because it would be a 1 and/or 2 spoiler. But the word "Sherrinford" as I mention in an earlier post they gave as a clue word before, that refers to a supposed third Holmes brother, but that it's worth noting does NOT come from official Holmes cannon. It was something invented later on in an original Sherlock Holmes story written by some other writer after Doyle's death (literally anyone can write a SH story or film a show/movie without having to pay any copyright fee, the characters are in the public domain).

Old 10-27-2016, 05:51 AM   #83
    KevinTH
    KevinTH5

Shows Seen: 33

DMB Hub Stubs: 16

My Tour Central Stats

Never seen this show "live". We started watching about a year and a half ago on Netflix and absolutely fell in love with it. Very excited for some new episodes. We just watched the Christmas special from last year and it was alright. It was entertaining enough, but it definitely felt a little forced. This has become one of my favorite shows.
    KevinTH is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 10-27-2016, 08:04 AM   #84
    hailtopitt
    Gimme that spatula!!!!!

Shows Seen: 44

DMB Hub Stubs: 13

My Tour Central Stats

wait, so they don't release the episodes on Netflix all at once?
    hailtopitt is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 10-27-2016, 08:10 AM   #85
    bowa36

DMB Hub Stubs: 7

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by hailtopitt View Post
    wait, so they don't release the episodes on Netflix all at once?

There's a lot of waiting
    Old 10-27-2016, 08:10 AM   #86
    hailtopitt
    Gimme that spatula!!!!!

My Tour Central Stats

well, shit...
    Old 10-27-2016, 08:23 AM   #87
    Dramageek
    Zounds!

Shows Seen: 56

DMB Hub Stubs: 26

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    well, shit...
    Yeah, unfortunately it's not a Netflix original. It's a BBC show that airs in this country as part of PBS Masterpiece, like Downton Abbey did. So we get one episode per week. Then it goes to Netflix.
    Dramageek is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 10-27-2016, 08:44 AM   #88
    hailtopitt
    Gimme that spatula!!!!!

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dramageek View Post
    Yeah, unfortunately it's not a Netflix original. It's a BBC show that airs in this country as part of PBS Masterpiece, like Downton Abbey did. So we get one episode per week. Then it goes to Netflix.
    yea i knew it was BBC but the show Black Mirror was also BBC for it's first 2 seasons and i think they were released all at once

maybe i'm wrong
    Old 10-27-2016, 08:47 AM   #89
    Dramageek
    Zounds!

Shows Seen: 56

DMB Hub Stubs: 26

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    yea i knew it was BBC but the show Black Mirror was also BBC for it's first 2 seasons and i think they were released all at once

maybe i'm wrong
    I'm partially mispeaking. The seasons end up on Netflix all at once. But they air on BBC/PBS Masterpiece first. I don't remember if Black Mirror aired on TV over here first.
    Dramageek is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 10-27-2016, 08:50 AM   #90
    hailtopitt
    Gimme that spatula!!!!!

My Tour Central Stats

yea that's what i meant. pretty sure Black Mirror went right to Netflix even when it was a BBC product without hitting TV first

but maybe i'm wrong that's just what i remember doing