**Official Drive-By Truckers Thread** - Page 29 - Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion

Go Back   Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion > General Discussion > nDMBc Discussion

Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here

Old 01-18-2017, 11:25 AM   #841
jayman414
GO PACK GO

Shows Seen: 38

DMB Hub Stubs: 17

My Tour Central Stats

Re: **Official Drive-By Truckers Thread**

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexK79 View Post
Jason let's try to grab a beer at some point, you know I'll be there!
Sounds like a plan man. I will send you a FB message in the coming week or so and we can grab one before and after. Are you bringing your wife to the show?

jayman414 is offline   Reply With Quote

• Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here
  • Old 01-18-2017, 07:18 PM   #842
    mposey34
    Learn To Swim

Shows Seen: 30

DMB Hub Stubs: 10

My Tour Central Stats

The guy that killed the family the song Two Daughters and a Beautiful Wife was written about was executed tonight
    Old 01-18-2017, 10:43 PM   #843
    SpartanPhish87

Shows Seen: 0

DMB Hub Stubs: 1

My Tour Central Stats

So I have gotten into the Truckers pretty heavily over the last 6 months or so.

A buddy introduced me to Southeastern in 2014 and I became pretty obsessed with Isbell's solo material. Gradually got into The Dirty South and Decoration Day, and really appreciated both albums. But American Band really cemented my love for this band. I think the whole album is fantastic. Guns Of Umpqua and What It Means are two of the most moving songs anybody released last year. I am going to check out my first DBT show with my dad on 2/3. Can't wait.

The next step I really need to take is to check out more live Truckers shows. Do any of you have specific shows you recommend?
    SpartanPhish87 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-19-2017, 06:40 AM   #844
    AlexK79
    Let There Be Rock

Shows Seen: 92

DMB Hub Stubs: 24

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpartanPhish87 View Post
    So I have gotten into the Truckers pretty heavily over the last 6 months or so.

A buddy introduced me to Southeastern in 2014 and I became pretty obsessed with Isbell's solo material. Gradually got into The Dirty South and Decoration Day, and really appreciated both albums. But American Band really cemented my love for this band. I think the whole album is fantastic. Guns Of Umpqua and What It Means are two of the most moving songs anybody released last year. I am going to check out my first DBT show with my dad on 2/3. Can't wait.

The next step I really need to take is to check out more live Truckers shows. Do any of you have specific shows you recommend?
    The live box set 'It's Great To Be Alive' they put out in 2014 is excellent. It's not a single live show (it's like 35 tracks culled from a 3-night stand at the Fillmore in San Fran) but it's sequenced and plays like a live show.

There are also a TON of shows available on archive.org. It's hard to go wrong, so just try to find a setlist that you dig and jump on in. It's fun to kind of see how the sound has evolved through their different era (Isbell-era, Shonna Tucker/John Neff-era with Gonzalez exclusively on keys), and the current leaner version with Matt Patton on bass and Gonzalez doing double duty on keys and guitar.

For a great old school Isbell era show check out their DVD 'Live at the 40 Watt' which was shot on the Dirty South tour and is phenomenal.

Not a Truckers show per se, but another great show to download is the acoustic charity show that Patterson, Cooley, and Jason Isbell did a few years back. Really fantastic with the three of them trading off songs, telling stories, etc.

https://archive.org/details/dbt2014-06-15

DMB 2023: Nashville, Milwaukee, Deer Creek x2, Chicago x2
    AlexK79 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-19-2017, 01:27 PM   #845
    SpartanPhish87

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    The live box set 'It's Great To Be Alive' they put out in 2014 is excellent. It's not a single live show (it's like 35 tracks culled from a 3-night stand at the Fillmore in San Fran) but it's sequenced and plays like a live show.

There are also a TON of shows available on archive.org. It's hard to go wrong, so just try to find a setlist that you dig and jump on in. It's fun to kind of see how the sound has evolved through their different era (Isbell-era, Shonna Tucker/John Neff-era with Gonzalez exclusively on keys), and the current leaner version with Matt Patton on bass and Gonzalez doing double duty on keys and guitar.

For a great old school Isbell era show check out their DVD 'Live at the 40 Watt' which was shot on the Dirty South tour and is phenomenal.

Not a Truckers show per se, but another great show to download is the acoustic charity show that Patterson, Cooley, and Jason Isbell did a few years back. Really fantastic with the three of them trading off songs, telling stories, etc.

https://archive.org/details/dbt2014-06-15
    Cool, thanks. I think I have seen a couple youtube clips from that show, but I will definitely have to download the audio.
    Old 01-27-2017, 08:04 AM   #846
    AlexK79
    Let There Be Rock

My Tour Central Stats

Jason Isbell joined the guys on stage last night at the Ryman in Nashville, wish I had been there!

Old 01-30-2017, 01:30 PM   #847
    AlexK79
    Let There Be Rock

My Tour Central Stats

KILLER rock show last night in Iowa City. Love the Englert as a venue. Band came out at 8:30 and played right up to curfew at 11 with no break. They were hitting on all cylinders, incredibly tight.

Setlist:

Filthy and Fried
    The Righteous Path
    Shit Shots Count
    Darkened Flags on the Cusp of Dawn
    Surrender Under Protest
    Ever South
    Where the Devil Don't Stay
    Sink Hole
    Uncle Frank
    Why Henry Drinks
    Women Without Whiskey
    Tornadoes
    Kinky Hypocrite (dedicated by Cooley to "people who think tornadoes cause gay marriage." )
    The Deeper In
    Panties In Your Purse
    Guns of Umpqua
    Ramon Casiano
    What It Means
    Once They Banned Imagine
    A World of Hurt
    Zip City
    Let There Be Rock
    Shut Up and Get On The Plane
    Hell No I Ain't Happy
    Rockin' In The Free World

Last edited by AlexK79; 01-30-2017 at 01:33 PM.
    Old 02-02-2017, 01:40 PM   #848
    jayman414
    GO PACK GO

My Tour Central Stats

Catching the rock show tonight at The Vic in Chicago. I've been loving the Truckers more than normal lately. As much as I love DMB and identify them with most of my formative years, I think DBT is far and away my favorite contemporary band. I think that they may end up being one of those bands that after they are done, people really latch onto how good they truly were. I mean, this is a band who do not have a clunker of an album in their entire discography. A collection of some of the best song writers in an era and easily one of the more underrated bands out right now.

Old 02-03-2017, 07:00 AM   #849
    AlexK79
    Let There Be Rock

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by jayman414 View Post
    Catching the rock show tonight at The Vic in Chicago. I've been loving the Truckers more than normal lately. As much as I love DMB and identify them with most of my formative years, I think DBT is far and away my favorite contemporary band. I think that they may end up being one of those bands that after they are done, people really latch onto how good they truly were. I mean, this is a band who do not have a clunker of an album in their entire discography. A collection of some of the best song writers in an era and easily one of the more underrated bands out right now.

Could not have said it better. I can think of a lot of reasons that this band doesn't seem to get as much praise as they probably deserve. The somewhat goofy band name I think is a lot of it. They're also a band that's not 'easy' to get into. No hit singles, no big choruses, subject matter that is way deeper than most acts. You have to really spend time with their music to fully appreciate it I think, which goes completely against the trends of the day where everything in the popular music world seems mean to be safe, easy, and meant for mass consumption.

But man...if you give their catalog some genuine time investment, I don't know if there's a more rewarding band to listen to in rock today (and the last 16 years or so.)

Jason, great to see you at the show last night dude! That was a scorcher for sure. A little shorter than the show in Iowa City on Sunday but no less intense!

Old 02-03-2017, 07:15 AM   #850
    jayman414
    GO PACK GO

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:

Could not have said it better. I can think of a lot of reasons that this band doesn't seem to get as much praise as they probably deserve. The somewhat goofy band name I think is a lot of it. They're also a band that's not 'easy' to get into. No hit singles, no big choruses, subject matter that is way deeper than most acts. You have to really spend time with their music to fully appreciate it I think, which goes completely against the trends of the day where everything in the popular music world seems mean to be safe, easy, and meant for mass consumption.

But man...if you give their catalog some genuine time investment, I don't know if there's a more rewarding band to listen to in rock today (and the last 16 years or so.)

Jason, great to see you at the show last night dude! That was a scorcher for sure. A little shorter than the show in Iowa City on Sunday but no less intense!

It was a great show, two hours of straight music and they were hitting on all points. I was thinking on the way home, there may not be a more satisfying band to spend $25-$30 on a ticket.

You are right about the some of the reasons for their lack of recognition, but man does this band know how to deliver. The mix of old and new stuff last night was great and there isn't a huge drop off between the stuff on Pizza Deliverance and American Band. Their progression as a band makes a lot of sense to me and I look forward to seeing what they do over the next few years.

I would actually really love to see them go on an acoustic tour again.

Alex great seeing you too! I looked over a few times and saw you singing along and loving it just as much as I was. Let's get out to another rock show soon.

Old 02-03-2017, 11:06 AM   #851
    SpartanPhish87

My Tour Central Stats

What time have they been going on? Hitting up the show tonight.
    Old 02-03-2017, 11:10 AM   #852
    AlexK79
    Let There Be Rock

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpartanPhish87 View Post
    What time have they been going on? Hitting up the show tonight.
    Depending on what the start time says on your ticket, I'd plan for DBT to hit the stage about 90 mins after that.

For Iowa City Sunday night ticket time was 7:00. Kyle Craft played about 7:15-8:00, and DBT came on at 8:30.

For Chicago last night, ticket time was 8:00. Kyle Craft played till 9:00 and DBT came out at 9:30.

Is tonight your first DBT show?? Have a blast man!! They are sounding amazing right now.

Old 02-03-2017, 02:26 PM   #853
    SpartanPhish87

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Depending on what the start time says on your ticket, I'd plan for DBT to hit the stage about 90 mins after that.

For Iowa City Sunday night ticket time was 7:00. Kyle Craft played about 7:15-8:00, and DBT came on at 8:30.

For Chicago last night, ticket time was 8:00. Kyle Craft played till 9:00 and DBT came out at 9:30.

Is tonight your first DBT show?? Have a blast man!! They are sounding amazing right now.
    Yep. First DBT show.
    Old 02-15-2017, 07:21 AM   #854
    AlexK79
    Let There Be Rock

My Tour Central Stats

SpartanPhish how was your show? Interested to hear what you thought.

Old 02-17-2017, 09:32 AM   #855
    mposey34
    Learn To Swim

My Tour Central Stats

Isbell tickets went on sale this morning, y'all grab any?

We are doing 2 nights in Austin in July, then Red Rocks in September
    Old 02-17-2017, 09:42 AM   #856
    mja271
    Big Mike

Shows Seen: 24

DMB Hub Stubs: 14

My Tour Central Stats

I'll be at New Haven. 3rd time he's playing that venue in just under 2 years which is pretty awesome.
    Say a prayer for my soul seńorita
    mja271 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 02-17-2017, 10:13 AM   #857
    justinandimcool
    denim & sheepskin

Shows Seen: 7

DMB Hub Stubs: 6

My Tour Central Stats

Isbell in March, first time seeing him
    Old 02-17-2017, 10:18 AM   #858
    AlexK79
    Let There Be Rock

My Tour Central Stats

Jason's show lack the kind of freewheeling, unpredictable feel of a DBT show. Still great, don't get me wrong, just different. Pretty much same setlist every night, way more 'rehearsed,' etc. But his band sounds fantastic. Really looking forward to his new record.

Old 02-17-2017, 10:23 AM   #859
    mposey34
    Learn To Swim

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Jason's show lack the kind of freewheeling, unpredictable feel of a DBT show. Still great, don't get me wrong, just different. Pretty much same setlist every night, way more 'rehearsed,' etc. But his band sounds fantastic. Really looking forward to his new record.
    I agree and I can't wait for the album or the shows. And no matter how many times I hear Outfit, someone standing near me is getting a high five when that song gets played.
    Old 02-17-2017, 12:24 PM   #860
    mja271
    Big Mike

My Tour Central Stats

I saw 2 shows on the SMTF tour and they were more or less the same, both definitely great but I agree that it lacked that extra something that would make me want to go see him a ton. That's why I'm happy that there will be new songs in these summer dates.
    Old 02-17-2017, 12:24 PM   #861
    SpartanPhish87

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    SpartanPhish how was your show? Interested to hear what you thought.
    I loved it. Great rock show. I expected a little more crowd energy, but that's far down on the list of why I go see shows. Seemed like a lot of older, rockier tunes were played.

I really liked the setlist construction and the way Patterson and Cooley introduced songs. Great energy flow.

Surrender Under Protest is a fun opener.
    Old 03-13-2017, 07:42 AM   #862
    mja271
    Big Mike

My Tour Central Stats

New Jason Isbell album "The Nashville Sound" coming June 16
    Old 03-13-2017, 07:53 AM   #863
    jayman414
    GO PACK GO

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by mja271 View Post
    New Jason Isbell album "The Nashville Sound" coming June 16
    Yes! I really hope there is at least one jab song about that big fake country music sound coming out of Nashville.

Old 03-13-2017, 10:31 AM   #864
    AlexK79
    Let There Be Rock

My Tour Central Stats

Looks like the new album is billed under 'Jason Isbell & the 400 Unit' again rather than just Jason like his last 2. Guessing this one's a little more on the 'rock' side of things? Looking forward to it!

Old 03-13-2017, 11:03 AM   #865
    justinandimcool
    denim & sheepskin

My Tour Central Stats

400 Unit is good news...although I think those albums were hit or miss I'm curious to see how the rock and roll sounds given where Jason is in his life

Will report back if he plays new songs when I see him Wednesday
    Old 03-16-2017, 10:29 AM   #866
    justinandimcool
    denim & sheepskin

My Tour Central Stats

back from Isbell...this guy is just fucking electric

amazing crowd too. Anaheim was packed. says a lot that the Truckers could barely fill up 75% of a small auditorium on b2b nights, while Isbell nearly overflows the house of blues. people just love this guy and i love him too.

played all the hits. i've seen tons of live videos so no surprises really, just really solid. his voice didn't crack a bit- such a talent. played a new song in the encore. "hope the high road". pretty much what we expect- same songwriting style, just louder and faster. a little wordy but i liked it a lot.
    Old 03-16-2017, 03:34 PM   #867
    MVDMB
    Push on till the day

Shows Seen: 18

DMB Hub Stubs: 9

My Tour Central Stats

Was able to get tickets to the first night of Isbell's Ryman residency! Pretty stoked about that, and hopefully will be able to make it to at least one other show in the run.
    MVDMB is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 03-16-2017, 04:07 PM   #868
    pearljammer

Shows Seen: 29

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Looks like the new album is billed under 'Jason Isbell & the 400 Unit' again rather than just Jason like his last 2. Guessing this one's a little more on the 'rock' side of things? Looking forward to it!
    That's the word on the street.
    pearljammer is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 03-23-2017, 08:45 AM   #869
    AlexK79
    Let There Be Rock

My Tour Central Stats

'Hope the High Road' from Isbell's new record is streaming over at Entertainment Weekly along with a nice little article:

http://ew.com/music/2017/03/23/jason...road-premiere/

First impression: Really enjoy the sound. More energetic and definitely more 'rock' than anything on the last 2 records, save maybe 'Super 8' from Southeastern. Melodically, it does sound kind of.....familiar? I do think Jason tends to fall back on some more 'stock' things with his vocal melodies sometimes (which I think is part of the reason that I still find DBT to be a more musically interesting band) but overall this is really good. It's nice to hear a little bit of spring in his step after basically 2 albums of acoustic-based stuff. I love both Southeastern and SMTF but if you listen to them back to back it can start to blend together after awhile. This is a nice change of pace, but it doesn't sound forced or like he's consciously trying to make himself write a 'rock song' which is great. Good first impression and definitely looking forward to this album!

Old 03-23-2017, 09:01 AM   #870
    mposey34
    Learn To Swim

My Tour Central Stats

I'm going to avoid listening to the songs as they come out, if I can resist. I'm anxious to hear this as a full album.