What (besides politics) irritates you? - Page 511 - Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion

Go Back   Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion > General Discussion > nDMBc Discussion

Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here

Old 06-04-2013, 06:23 AM   #15301
aicdmb
Unreal

Shows Seen: 15

DMB Hub Stubs: 6

My Tour Central Stats

Re: What irritates you?

All of these shows on polygamy. Why are they on tv, and why arent they in jail??
aicdmb is offline   Reply With Quote

• Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here
  • Old 06-04-2013, 07:13 AM   #15302
    daveshookme
    Altuve wore a wire

Shows Seen: 54

DMB Hub Stubs: 20

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by aicdmb View Post
    All of these shows on polygamy. Why are they on tv, and why arent they in jail??
    I can be on tv for that?
    Old 06-04-2013, 11:07 AM   #15303
    defcon
    :rattled

Shows Seen: 14

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by bamadavefan15 View Post
    This.

Also, kinda like this. Someone asks me to tutor them/study with them and then when I try to help they mess with their phone or computer. That's usually when I go, "oh shit I gotta go." I hope you fail and I ace it. This usually happens too and it really helps with the coping.
    Same. Back in 2001 I was working in the writing center. Phones obviously weren't as advanced back then, but I got the person in charge of it to make a strict rule. No cell phones allowed.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by aicdmb View Post
    First of all, most reality TV is fake. It's either totally fake and scripted or often the subjects are asked to "put on." They're on TV because it gets ratings, which for advertisers means that people are watching their ads and they'll make money, which encourages TV networks to perpetuate this shit.

Second, polygamy is very rarely prosecuted unless it's some shit involving girls under the age of consent, or some really extreme shit. Several sects of Islam and even Judaism practice polygamy...imagine the outcry if you prosecuted one of these people? It would be G-HOD or Oy Vey.

I remember when people used to watch TV to escape, not for a dose of reality. You watched shit that was scripted and purely fictional, and that was fine. Now easily over 2/3 of shit on TV is reality-based or reality shows. I think most people have sad, pathetic lives so maybe this allows them to live vicariously.
    Old 06-04-2013, 11:10 AM   #15304
    defcon

My Tour Central Stats

Happy announcements on Facebook. Just tired of watching people live normal lives while I go nowhere because I chose to go to college and do something with mine...and now I can't even think about doing normal shit because most of my income goes toward just staying alive and student loans.
    Old 06-04-2013, 11:15 AM   #15305
    unccrombie
    HairSlkdBakWayfarersOn

Shows Seen: 46

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by defcon View Post
    Happy announcements on Facebook. Just tired of watching people live normal lives while I go nowhere because I chose to go to college and do something with mine...and now I can't even think about doing normal shit because most of my income goes toward just staying alive and student loans.
    i went to a private college, and had $40k/year tuition. doing quite well for myself now.

sounds like the wrong major, defcon.
    unccrombie is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-04-2013, 11:18 AM   #15306
    bamadavefan15

Shows Seen: 5

DMB Hub Stubs: 2

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by unccrombie View Post
    i went to a private college, and had $40k/year tuition. doing quite well for myself now.

sounds like the wrong major, defcon.
    Lol. Kick him while he's down.
    bamadavefan15 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-04-2013, 11:18 AM   #15307
    unccrombie
    HairSlkdBakWayfarersOn

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Lol. Kick him while he's down.
    nah, it's the problem with America: "I went to college and got a BA" how am i going to use it and get a job that i like/pays well?

defcon has been "down" since the dawn of time.
    Old 06-04-2013, 11:20 AM   #15308
    mandy18

Shows Seen: 55

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    this SINGLE meeting is 8-5. i'll be "in and out" at best
    I have 1 today that was 9 - 3, and 1 tomorrow & Thursday both days 8 - 5.
    And, they're in a conference room with other people. I managed to escape about an hour ago. But, I'll be drug back in tomorrow morning at 8.
    mandy18 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-04-2013, 11:21 AM   #15309
    bamadavefan15

Shows Seen: 5

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    nah, it's the problem with America: "I went to college and got a BA" how am i going to use it and get a job that i like/pays well?
    I agree. It takes more work in college than just earning a degree to make sure you have a job when you leave.
    bamadavefan15 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-04-2013, 11:22 AM   #15310
    unccrombie
    HairSlkdBakWayfarersOn

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by mandy18 View Post
    I have 1 today that was 9 - 3, and 1 tomorrow & Thursday both days 8 - 5.
    And, they're in a conference room with other people. I managed to escape about an hour ago. But, I'll be drug back in tomorrow morning at 8.
    glad you got out. i stopped listening around noon. have other reading to get done
    Old 06-04-2013, 11:36 AM   #15311
    defcon

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:

defcon has been "down" since the dawn of time.
    I don't feel like arguing. Obviously you are a shining beacon of success that probably got a STEM degree, and for that, I salute you. I majored in what interested me. I could work in my field (political science) but I chose not to. I'm not moving to DC in hopes that I line up a job. I went to law school briefly...that's why I got a poli sci degree. It didn't work out, but it was for the best. Graduating from literally the last-ranked institution calling itself a law school would have been of minimal benefit. I'd rather make $10 an hour 40 hrs a week than be on a $36,000 public defender salary working 70-100hrs a week. Turns out I make more being a rent-a-cop than some people who are now lawyers.

It just seems like Facebook is one big cesspool of hate, narcissism, gossip, marketing, and brain programming and we're the unwitting product. Seemed great when I signed up...here's an easy way to keep in touch and share news. It's changed immensely since then from a small college networking system to everybody and their great grandmother's rag.
    Old 06-04-2013, 11:40 AM   #15312
    Haiku Jimi

Shows Seen: 7

DMB Hub Stubs: 7

My Tour Central Stats

^ Everything else aside, I'll completely agree that Facebook just projects a false picture of what people's lives are like.

Obviously the only things people are going to post are "Here's me skydiving" or "Here's me on vacation in the French Riviera"...not "I forgot to pay my utilities bill" or "my wife is divorcing me." You only get part of the picture and it tends to be misleading when that's all you see from people.

Which is why I hardly post on it. I use it for events/get togethers and the occasional discussion about shows, etc.
    Haiku Jimi is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-04-2013, 11:40 AM   #15313
    UNC41
    Gimme Dat

Shows Seen: 0

My Tour Central Stats

So you like that Facebook is an easy way to share news, but are irritated when people share good news?

Me and my shoddy Comm degree are a bit confused.

You white, then you Ben Affleck.
    UNC41 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-04-2013, 11:41 AM   #15314
    unccrombie
    HairSlkdBakWayfarersOn

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    I don't feel like arguing. Obviously you are a shining beacon of success that probably got a STEM degree, and for that, I salute you. I majored in what interested me. I could work in my field (political science) but I chose not to. I'm not moving to DC in hopes that I line up a job. I went to law school briefly...that's why I got a poli sci degree. It didn't work out, but it was for the best. Graduating from literally the last-ranked institution calling itself a law school would have been of minimal benefit. I'd rather make $10 an hour 40 hrs a week than be on a $36,000 public defender salary working 70-100hrs a week. Turns out I make more being a rent-a-cop than some people who are now lawyers.

It just seems like Facebook is one big cesspool of hate, narcissism, gossip, marketing, and brain programming and we're the unwitting product. Seemed great when I signed up...here's an easy way to keep in touch and share news. It's changed immensely since then from a small college networking system to everybody and their great grandmother's rag.
    why would you choose not to work in a field that interests you? that's the WHOLE POINT of college.

you're just not allowed to complain about the salary afterwords.

while i agree with the fact you have a better work/life balance. there's a reason lawyers/doctors/etc work those hours for shitty pay upfront: the market is super over saturated with those degrees.

edit: people go in to work saying, "i made a difference today" and "i'm ok with what i'm getting paid for that". you don't need to be making $80k+ and working 40-50 hours to say the same thing. source: teachers

Last edited by unccrombie; 06-04-2013 at 11:44 AM.
    Old 06-04-2013, 11:43 AM   #15315
    defcon

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    I agree. It takes more work in college than just earning a degree to make sure you have a job when you leave.
    So enlighten us. I thought a decent GPA (check!) and an internship in my field (two actually) along with working at least part-time through 3 of my 4 years of college would be the extra oomph needed for success. Guess I'm doing things wrong.

Of course we ignore the real elephant in the room: For most people college is a bad investment of time and money. Interesting that the most wealthiest people in the world are college and even high school dropouts.
    Old 06-04-2013, 11:45 AM   #15316
    unccrombie
    HairSlkdBakWayfarersOn

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    So enlighten us. I thought a decent GPA (check!) and an internship in my field (two actually) along with working at least part-time through 3 of my 4 years of college would be the extra oomph needed for success. Guess I'm doing things wrong.

Of course we ignore the real elephant in the room: For most people college is a bad investment of time and money. Interesting that the most wealthiest people in the world are college and even high school dropouts.
    they have what most college kids dont: determination and drive coupled with the brains.
    Old 06-04-2013, 11:46 AM   #15317
    Haiku Jimi

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by UNC41 View Post
    So you like that Facebook is an easy way to share news, but are irritated when people share good news?

Me and my shoddy Comm degree are a bit confused.
    I know you're talking to Defcon and not me. But I don't mind that people share whatever they want to share. I just try not to get into it too much; if you're a close friend, I know what you're up to.
    Old 06-04-2013, 11:48 AM   #15318
    UNC41
    Gimme Dat

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:

Isn't the elephant in the room supposed to be true? Going to college, whether it be for a two or four year degree, was a great investment for the vast majority of people I know.

Old 06-04-2013, 11:49 AM   #15319
    unccrombie
    HairSlkdBakWayfarersOn

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Isn't the elephant in the room supposed to be true? Going to college, whether it be for a two or four year degree, was a great investment for the vast majority of people I know.
    as long as you have a plan, it's the best thing in the world, IMO
    Old 06-04-2013, 11:53 AM   #15320
    UNC41
    Gimme Dat

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Haiku Jimi View Post
    I know you're talking to Defcon and not me. But I don't mind that people share whatever they want to share. I just try not to get into it too much; if you're a close friend, I know what you're up to.
    I like that Facebook allows me to know what acquaintances are up to at a high level. I don't have the time or desire to keep up with the intricate details of a lot of peoples lives, but it is nice to see what old high school and college buddies who I don't speak with often are up to.

Also, half the reason I keep it around is for posts like an hour ago, when I get to see that there are grown men out there who think it is a good idea to put this on Facebook ...

"So I have been and still am sick, and so I was sitting at my desk and caughed so hard that I kind of sort of went #2 in my pants, so I have to go home."

Old 06-04-2013, 11:55 AM   #15321
    daveshookme
    Altuve wore a wire

My Tour Central Stats

I can't get the ceiling fan in my room to be quiet when it's on high speed.
    Old 06-04-2013, 11:55 AM   #15322
    unccrombie
    HairSlkdBakWayfarersOn

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    I like that Facebook allows me to know what acquaintances are up to at a high level. I don't have the time or desire to keep up with the intricate details of a lot of peoples lives, but it is nice to see what old high school and college buddies who I don't speak with often are up to.

Also, half the reason I keep it around is for posts like an hour ago, when I get to see that there are grown men out there who think it is a good idea to put this on Facebook ...

"So I have been and still am sick, and so I was sitting at my desk and caughed so hard that I kind of sort of went #2 in my pants, so I have to go home."
    fire him and give that salary to you
    Old 06-04-2013, 12:08 PM   #15323
    Haiku Jimi

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:

1st bold - well that's the whole thing...it's like you don't really give a rats ass but you find yourself looking at what they're doing anyway.

2nd bold
    Old 06-04-2013, 12:10 PM   #15324
    Beefsteak1138

Shows Seen: 10

My Tour Central Stats

The second bolded is the reason I like fb. Constantly posting pictures of your dinner will get you unfriended.
    Beefsteak1138 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-04-2013, 01:06 PM   #15325
    Lcsulla
    Black Hawks Matter

DMB Hub Stubs: 19

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Beefsteak1138 View Post
    What are you being sued for, or can you not talk about it?
    Nice to have friends in high places! My states former Attorney General (now senator) owes me a favor and I just called it in!
    Old 06-04-2013, 01:24 PM   #15326
    awsomepath

DMB Hub Stubs: 5

My Tour Central Stats

My boss' BO.
    Old 06-04-2013, 01:29 PM   #15327
    defcon

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Yeah, but who pays for that? Does the income difference between a degree and non-degree holder justify getting a degree? I work in the Security field with a guy who has a bachelors of science in security and protective services through some online degree mill. He's new to the field. I've been working security for three years and three years before that and I know way more about my job than he does his own. I've felt the same way when I did work briefly for a state politician...wow, my degree was relevant, I didn't learn a single practical thing but I can talk for hours about the merits of pro-life/pro-choice, mass meat, campaign finance, GITMO, North Korea, or the Constitution.

Since $ wasn't mentioned, maybe the extrinsic value of a degree is a good thing, but student loans seem to be the elephant I was referring to. Most people I know do not believe college benefited them from a financial standpoint. Maybe by the time they're 65 and pay off their student loans in time to retire they'll see differently.

Quote:
    as long as you have a plan, it's the best thing in the world, IMO
    Quote:

Facebook is a glorified address book, the new "little black book" where I can easily keep track of my contacts I'd rather not text or talk with. People's drama is another interesting thing.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Lcsulla View Post
    Nice to have friends in high places! My states former Attorney General (now senator) owes me a favor and I just called it in!
    What's with the Mossad thing? Never a mistake? Is that sarcasm or serious?
    Old 06-04-2013, 01:33 PM   #15328
    Lcsulla
    Black Hawks Matter

DMB Hub Stubs: 19

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    What's with the Mossad thing? Never a mistake? Is that sarcasm or serious?
    Serious. Have a friend in Israel who sent me a shirt with that slogan on it. Though I don't know if she meant my mistake or hers, both were fun.
    Old 06-04-2013, 01:35 PM   #15329
    defcon

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Lcsulla View Post
    Serious. Have a friend in Israel who sent me a shirt with that slogan on it. Though I don't know if she meant my mistake or hers, both were fun.
    Alright then. Carrying on.

*googles Mossad*

Agents are already at my door.
    Old 06-04-2013, 01:44 PM   #15330
    FromTheMorning

Shows Seen: 29

DMB Hub Stubs: 13

My Tour Central Stats

My awesome, entry-level sales job. Making 6 figures
    FromTheMorning is offline   Reply With Quote