iPhone Discussion - Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion
Old 03-16-2009, 01:32 AM   #1
DMBZeppelin
OOH-WEE

Shows Seen: 87

DMB Hub Stubs: 27

My Tour Central Stats

iPhone Discussion

I searched and searched and there isn't a regular iPhone thread. Just tons of threads about individual aspects of the iPhone. I even searched the thread title 'iPhone Discussion' and got two threads "Can someone help me with iPhone problems?" and "Sox vs. Rays - ALCS Discussion"

Anyways I was just going to post something on the firmware 3.0 update. Since there's nothing on it. I'll post the three things macrumors.com has on it

Quote:
Apple to Preview iPhone OS 3.0 on March 17th

Engadget is reporting that Apple will be hosting a media event on Tuesday, March 17th to demonstrate iPhone OS 3.0, the next major upgrade to the iPhone operating system. Apple will reportedly also provide details on a new iPhone Software Development Kit (SDK) to aid developers in creating applications for the new operating system.

Apple's calling this an "advance preview of what we're building," so we're not expecting anything ready to go as of the 17th, but hopefully this will allow developers to start building toward future functionality (hey, how about some push notifications?), and presumably users won't have too many months to wait after that for the real deal.

Apple previously hosted a media event in March 2008 to provide a "roadmap" for iPhone developers, and it appears that this upcoming event may follow a similar theme. The event is scheduled for 10 AM Pacific in the Town Hall auditorium on the company's campus in Cupertino, CA.
Quote:
iPhone 3.0 to Get MMS, Tethering, and Finally... Copy and Paste?

News that Apple will be hosting a media event next week about iPhone 3.0 has generated a lot of speculation about what might be coming in the new release.

BoyGeniusReport claims to have heard two possible features that would certainly make many iPhone users happy. They believe that iPhone 3.0 will introduce MMS (Multimedia Messaging Service) and Tethering.

MMS would finally offer iPhone users the ability to send photos by way of SMS, and tethering would allow you to share your iPhone's internet connection with your laptop computer. An alleged Steve Jobs email even confirmed that Apple had been working on a thethering solution, so it certainly seems feasible. BoyGeniusReport's record, however, has been spotty, so we can't be entirely confident of the report.

A more interesting report comes from John Gruber about his "guesses" for
iPhone 3.0 from back at Macworld:

First, a new home screen app (a.k.a. SpringBoard), designed from the ground up for a system where users have a few dozen or more extra apps installed. Managing dozens of apps on the iPhone today is simply a pain in the ass. Second, maybe an answer to the question of where the background notification API is — you know, the one we were told at WWDC to expect a few months ago, but which we haven’t heard a word about since. And maybe — pretty please, Mr. Forstall, with sugar on top — copy and paste.

While Gruber labels this as his "wish list", we have good reason to believe that these features will indeed be found in the iPhone 3.0 firmware. That could mean a better app-managing SpringBoard (with categories?), a solution to "push" notifications (background tasks?), and, yes... even copy and paste.

Finally, there has been evidence in the latest version of Snow Leopard's CoreLocation framework (which is shared by the iPhone) that Apple is building in support for magnetometers, which could suggest the use of a digital compass in future devices, much like the Android G1.
Quote:
iPhone 3.0 Copy and Paste Described

During a live taping of Diggnation, Kevin Rose revealed details about the expected "Copy and Paste" functionality coming in iPhone 3.0. World of Apple reports on the event with a link to a video of the moment (warning: strong language).

According to Rose, to invoke Copy and Paste, you simply double tap on the word, and a magnifier bubble will appear with two quotes that you can drag around your selection. Once you make your selection, you can copy, paste or cut. Rose has been accurate in the past with details about upcoming Apple product revisions. As well, we have also heard that Copy and Paste will be arriving in 3.0 alongside a much improved homepage/springboard with the ability to organize in categories.

Apple will be revealing iPhone 3.0 in detail on Tuesday, March 17th at a special media event.

Tour 2023: Deer Creek [6/30] [7/01]
DMBZeppelin is offline   Reply With Quote

• Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here
  • Old 03-17-2009, 02:55 AM   #2
    DMBZeppelin
    OOH-WEE

My Tour Central Stats

Re: iPhone Discussion

Saw this over at the Macrumors forum. Does Apple stream this stuff, or will it be a few hours before we find out what goes on at this thing? Either way I'm pumped for the 3.0 unveiling.

Quote:
    Timings of the event from Engadget:

07:00AM - Hawaii
    10:00AM - Pacific
    11:00AM - Mountain
    12:00PM - Central
    01:00PM - Eastern
    05:00PM - London
    06:00PM - Paris
    02:00AM - Tokyo (March 18th)

Old 03-17-2009, 01:14 PM   #3
    DMBZeppelin
    OOH-WEE

My Tour Central Stats

Highlights of Apple's iPhone OS 3.0 Preview: Copy and Paste, A2DP, MMS, Much More

Apple today hosted a preview event for its upcoming iPhone OS 3.0, highlighting a few of over 1,000 new APIs for developers and over 100 new features for users. Full details are available in our live updates, but here are some of the highlights:

- In-App Purchasing: Allows developers to sell additional content from within applications. Highlighted uses include magazine subscriptions, eBooks, additional levels and items for games.
    - Peer-to-Peer Connectivity: Find other devices running the app via Bonjour over Wi-Fi of Bluetooth. Good for gaming, but also other applications for sharing data.
    - Third-Party Accessory Apps: Allowing accessory manufacturers to create applications to interface with their hardware accessories.
    - Push Notification: Rather than using background processes that hamper battery life, utilize third-party server to push badge, text, and audio alerts from applications.
    - Turn by Turn: Apple will allow developers to use CoreLocation for turn-by-turn GPS directions.
    - Cut, Copy and Paste: Available across all apps. Shake to undo or redo.
    - Landscape keyboard: Available in all key applications, including Mail.
    - MMS: Picture messaging now available.
    - Voice Memos: Record notes, lectures, interviews, etc.
    - Spotlight Search: Available across all applications. Systemwide search available from main home screen by flicking to the left.
    - A2DP Bluetooth: Support for stereo bluetooth headsets.

Tethering, another much-requested feature, was addressed in the Q&A section of the event. Apple is building the client side of tethering into OS 3.0, but cooperation from carriers is also required in order for it to be offered.

The new iPhone OS 3.0 is available to all registered iPhone developers today as a free beta. Full release to customers will be this summer. OS 3.0 will be free for all iPhone users and a $9.95 upgrade for all iPod touch users. Most features will be available for the first-generation iPhone, although hardware limitations will prevent some features, such as MMS and stereo Bluetooth, from being added to those devices. Meanwhile, Apple also revealed that Bluetooth support can be activated in the 2nd generation iPod Touches.

Apple has posted an iPhone OS 3.0 Preview page listing a few of the highlights. A video of today's media event will also be posted to the page later today.

Old 03-17-2009, 01:21 PM   #4
    Number27
    Charge Your Ass!

Shows Seen: 9

DMB Hub Stubs: 5

My Tour Central Stats

These are all the updates that I have been waiting for on the new iPhone and what may make me give up the Blackberry. Now, if they just come up with video recording we will be all set.

i keep my socks on bc i'm a badass
    Number27 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 03-17-2009, 01:28 PM   #5
    DMBZeppelin
    OOH-WEE

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Number27 View Post
    These are all the updates that I have been waiting for on the new iPhone and what may make me give up the Blackberry. Now, if they just come up with video recording we will be all set.
    Most apple insiders say the new iPhone coming out this summer will have video. It's suppose to be a lot more powerful tech wise because of how well the apps and games took off.

I have the original iPhone. I never upgraded to the 3G, and now I'm glad I waited another year. Though it's cool because even if I didn't want to upgrade phones. I can still upgrade to the 3.0 firmware.

Old 03-17-2009, 01:33 PM   #6
    Number27
    Charge Your Ass!

Shows Seen: 9

DMB Hub Stubs: 5

My Tour Central Stats

Yeah, but the MMS feature is only available to the 3G phones which sucks. Out of all the features that was my biggest pet peeve with the iPhone.

i keep my socks on bc i'm a badass
    Number27 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 03-17-2009, 01:37 PM   #7
    lotas
    would u not like 2 be?

Shows Seen: 11

DMB Hub Stubs: 4

My Tour Central Stats

This might be obvious but, will the iPhone ever be able to run java? Or is that impossible for a 3G device?

I knew Apple would solve the copy/paste issue, that's been buggin' me for awhile that's one thing I love about them is they always seem to solve problems/issues and make their products easier/more efficient. It's sad to say that's rare these days.
    Old 03-17-2009, 02:07 PM   #8
    JTRocks

Shows Seen: 18

DMB Hub Stubs: 11

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Number27 View Post
    Yeah, but the MMS feature is only available to the 3G phones which sucks. Out of all the features that was my biggest pet peeve with the iPhone.
    i'm pretty sure theres an app you can get that allows you to send picture mail to other iphones. not sure what its called but My brother sends me picture mail and i asked him how he sent it and he told me he can only send it to people with iphones
    JTRocks is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 03-17-2009, 02:11 PM   #9
    keithcoldroses

Shows Seen: 37

DMB Hub Stubs: 13

My Tour Central Stats

Get a BlackBerry.
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by LadyMadonna68 View Post
    the riff is garbage. they sound like the transiberian orchestra and dave sounds like he's crying.
    keithcoldroses is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 03-17-2009, 02:13 PM   #10
    HoldemHart
    Love This Goofy Bastard

Shows Seen: 85

DMB Hub Stubs: 22

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by KMHeiman View Post
    Get a BlackBerry, if you want an inferior phone
    fixed.
    HoldemHart is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 03-17-2009, 02:16 PM   #11
    neumdogg
    Happy birthday, Paulie!

Shows Seen: 69

DMB Hub Stubs: 18

My Tour Central Stats

Anyone know how get some free ringtones for the iPhone?
    neumdogg is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 03-17-2009, 02:16 PM   #12
    keithcoldroses

Shows Seen: 37

DMB Hub Stubs: 13

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by holdemhart View Post
    fixed.
    you spelled "superior" wrong silly
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by LadyMadonna68 View Post
    the riff is garbage. they sound like the transiberian orchestra and dave sounds like he's crying.
    keithcoldroses is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 03-17-2009, 02:23 PM   #13
    JTRocks

Shows Seen: 18

DMB Hub Stubs: 11

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by neumdogg View Post
    mobile17.com

very easy to use too
    JTRocks is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 03-17-2009, 03:10 PM   #14
    mattyande

Shows Seen: 26

DMB Hub Stubs: 12

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by neumdogg View Post
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5snb5ao3nag

Still works for me...
    Old 03-17-2009, 04:04 PM   #15
    dreamingtree041

Shows Seen: 58

DMB Hub Stubs: 22

My Tour Central Stats

Here's a super cool game for the iphone www.10balls7cups.com

My fiancé made this game!
    dreamingtree041 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 03-17-2009, 04:19 PM   #16
    2steppinKJ
    Aboard the Hayne train.

Shows Seen: 2

DMB Hub Stubs: 3

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by DMBZeppelin View Post
    OS 3.0 will be free for all iPhone users and a $9.95 upgrade for all iPod touch users.
    Boo-urns.
    Old 03-17-2009, 04:24 PM   #17
    Beebz
    Tinnitus Victim

Shows Seen: 10

DMB Hub Stubs: 6

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by 2steppinKJ View Post
    Boo-urns.
    Yeah, well, we iPhone users have to pay over $100 bucks each month for our bills, so I dont feel too bad for ya.
    Beebz is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 03-17-2009, 04:27 PM   #18
    DMBZeppelin
    OOH-WEE

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by bbianca1982 View Post
    Yeah, well, we iPhone users have to pay over $100 bucks each month for our bills, so I dont feel too bad for ya.
    I pay like $60, why is yours so much?

Old 03-17-2009, 04:36 PM   #19
    cbotnyse

Shows Seen: 21

DMB Hub Stubs: 10

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    I pay like $60, why is yours so much?
    I pay over 100 too. 450 minutes, unlimited text/internet (15 bucks taxes/fees)

finally we get picture texts. I cant believe something so simple was overlooked.
    cbotnyse is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 03-17-2009, 05:14 PM   #20
    DMBZeppelin
    OOH-WEE

My Tour Central Stats

Bad news for people such as myself. Because of hardware limitations. Not all of 3.0's features will work on the original iPhone. MMS is included in this as well as a few Bluetooth features. Everything else will work though.

I hope the rumors are true about video being in the new phone this summer, because that be a perfect reason to upgrade.

Old 03-17-2009, 05:15 PM   #21
    iMAC386
    BOOMER!

Shows Seen: 1

My Tour Central Stats

I wonder if MMS is going to cost extra if you have unlimited text. Since we already have unlimited internet data plans I wouldn't expect it, but every other carrier charges extra for MMS.

I still wanna see what the changes in the homescreen will be. They make it sound as if it will be significant.
    iMAC386 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 03-17-2009, 05:25 PM   #22
    cbotnyse

Shows Seen: 21

DMB Hub Stubs: 10

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Bad news for people such as myself. Because of hardware limitations. Not all of 3.0's features will work on the original iPhone. MMS is included in this as well as a few Bluetooth features. Everything else will work though.

I hope the rumors are true about video being in the new phone this summer, because that be a perfect reason to upgrade.
    fuck me. I have the original. I cant get MMS??? fuckers
    cbotnyse is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 03-17-2009, 05:28 PM   #23
    ArmyDaveFan

Shows Seen: 5

DMB Hub Stubs: 7

My Tour Central Stats

A flash player would be nice.
    ArmyDaveFan is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 03-17-2009, 05:33 PM   #24
    iMAC386
    BOOMER!

Shows Seen: 1

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ArmyDaveFan View Post
    A flash player would be nice.
    Adobe has said within the last 3 months that they're working on an iPhone-exclusive version of Flash...I'm sure it's just not ready yet.
    iMAC386 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 03-17-2009, 05:34 PM   #25
    PilotC150
    Alpine Bound

Shows Seen: 24

DMB Hub Stubs: 12

My Tour Central Stats

If my options were to get flash support, or all of the added features that are a part of 3.0, I would have gone with Flash.
    "People ask us all the time...."What's your favorite place to play?" Now, you got your Gorges and you got your Red Rocks and so on, but there's an inexplicable magic that envelopes Alpine Valley. The band is the first to tell you how much they like coming back."
    PilotC150 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 03-17-2009, 05:51 PM   #26
    ArmyDaveFan

Shows Seen: 5

DMB Hub Stubs: 7

My Tour Central Stats

Flash = shitton of porn.
    ArmyDaveFan is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 03-17-2009, 06:04 PM   #27
    2steppinKJ
    Aboard the Hayne train.

Shows Seen: 2

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by bbianca1982 View Post
    Just for your calls/data, or is there part of that which goes towards phone repayments? The way I see it based on what I've ben reading on tech blogs is that my Touch already has a Bluetooth chip, and this update will seemingly be like a device driver and unlock that chip. Maybe the other new features will make it worth the investment and actually look like a meaningful revision as opposed to a service pack style update.
    Old 03-17-2009, 06:15 PM   #28
    Beebz
    Tinnitus Victim

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by 2steppinKJ View Post
    Just for your calls/data, or is there part of that which goes towards phone repayments? The way I see it based on what I've ben reading on tech blogs is that my Touch already has a Bluetooth chip, and this update will seemingly be like a device driver and unlock that chip. Maybe the other new features will make it worth the investment and actually look like a meaningful revision as opposed to a service pack style update.
    Just for calls/data. I bought the 3G flat out about six months ago. The damn fees and taxes are like $20 a month....crazy.
    Old 03-17-2009, 06:33 PM   #29
    Revolution36

Shows Seen: 38

DMB Hub Stubs: 14

My Tour Central Stats

i probably sound like a noob, but what is MMS?
    Old 03-17-2009, 06:35 PM   #30
    Beebz
    Tinnitus Victim

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Revolution36 View Post
    i probably sound like a noob, but what is MMS?
    Multimedia messages, AKA picture/video messages

Tags
    app store , apple , iphone , smart phone