Go Back   Antsmarching.org Forums > General Discussion > Musician Discussion


Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-13-2012, 02:18 PM   #61
Spell On Me
Invisible
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 9,609

Shows Seen: 0

Re: DM3MD on eBay

Quote:
Originally Posted by KAK1154 View Post
Regarding the OP: The serial number is in the pics. Given that, Martin should be able to tell you what the original finish on the guitar was. BTW, I know the seller (cpabolting) from other forums. I don't think he would knowingly misrepresent the guitar.

As for the rest of the thread: The Martin DM3MD doesn't really appeal to me, because I've never played a Martin that I liked. I can't decide if I want the Taylor DMSM or not. $3k is a lot for something I would never take out and play in public. I think my 614ce is about my limit, plus it sounds so great plugged in. Although, there is a DMSM for sale right now on the AGF....

Also, if you paid $1,100 for a 214ce, you got ripped off. Could have easily got a used 414ce for that.

That seems a bit harsh. Maybe he didn't want to buy used, or went through a local music shop. They always seem to be a bit higher.

Not trying to start anything, just playing devil's advocate.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by thesteveness View Post
Better than meating drum? I'm waxing my balls then Andy said he was licensed to perform colonoscopies and that I was overdue
Spell On Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 03:07 PM   #62
SomeDevil#41
 
SomeDevil#41's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 444

Shows Seen: 5

Re: DM3MD on eBay

Quote:
Originally Posted by KAK1154 View Post
Regarding the OP: The serial number is in the pics. Given that, Martin should be able to tell you what the original finish on the guitar was. BTW, I know the seller (cpabolting) from other forums. I don't think he would knowingly misrepresent the guitar.

As for the rest of the thread: The Martin DM3MD doesn't really appeal to me, because I've never played a Martin that I liked. I can't decide if I want the Taylor DMSM or not. $3k is a lot for something I would never take out and play in public. I think my 614ce is about my limit, plus it sounds so great plugged in. Although, there is a DMSM for sale right now on the AGF....

Also, if you paid $1,100 for a 214ce, you got ripped off. Could have easily got a used 414ce for that.
Why would you not want to take it out in public? I am damn proud to show my DMSM off at open mics and stuff like that. Now jamming at a Dave Matthews tailgate is another story, I take my Taylor 210e for those occasions. But I got the DMSM 914 with all intentions of it being my go-to guitar. 3K is a super price for the DMSM by the way, I paid quite a bit more than that, but I got the upgraded insurance package too, thru guitar center.
__________________
"Everything Tastes Better With Sauce" ~ Dave Matthews Caravan 06/25/11
SomeDevil#41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 03:19 PM   #63
crashintonickdm
1%
 
crashintonickdm's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Pennsauken, NJ
Posts: 62,046

Shows Seen: 61

Re: DM3MD on eBay

I bought the 214ce brand new and i got the proce wrong. It was 1000. I love the guitar.
__________________
-Nick
Twitter

#myboat #health #surgery
crashintonickdm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 03:22 PM   #64
crashintonickdm
1%
 
crashintonickdm's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Pennsauken, NJ
Posts: 62,046

Shows Seen: 61

Re: DM3MD on eBay

Also, if you spend alot on a guitar, you'd simply keeP it in house only? That's a waste of money IMO

That along with buying it simply because Dave plays it
__________________
-Nick
Twitter

#myboat #health #surgery
crashintonickdm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 03:27 PM   #65
AJF_41
 
AJF_41's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 51,578

Shows Seen: 23

Re: DM3MD on eBay

my acoustics have never left my house.
i don't see the problem with that at all.
__________________
Adam
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arby View Post
First time I smoked meat was in college
AJF_41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 03:42 PM   #66
KAK1154
 
KAK1154's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Hamden, CT
Posts: 617

Shows Seen: 35
Send a message via AIM to KAK1154

Re: DM3MD on eBay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spell On Me View Post
That seems a bit harsh. Maybe he didn't want to buy used, or went through a local music shop. They always seem to be a bit higher.

Not trying to start anything, just playing devil's advocate.
Quote:
Originally Posted by crashintonickdm View Post
I bought the 214ce brand new and i got the proce wrong. It was 1000. I love the guitar.
I can understand not wanting to buy used. I meant that $1,100 is too much for a new one. They're $999 at any retailer. $1,000 is a more normal price.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeDevil#41 View Post
Why would you not want to take it out in public? I am damn proud to show my DMSM off at open mics and stuff like that. Now jamming at a Dave Matthews tailgate is another story, I take my Taylor 210e for those occasions. But I got the DMSM 914 with all intentions of it being my go-to guitar. 3K is a super price for the DMSM by the way, I paid quite a bit more than that, but I got the upgraded insurance package too, thru guitar center.
Quote:
Originally Posted by crashintonickdm View Post
Also, if you spend alot on a guitar, you'd simply keeP it in house only? That's a waste of money IMO

That along with buying it simply because Dave plays it
Fair enough. At this point, I'm just not willing to put tons of play wear on that guitar. I take out my 614ce and 416ce-ltd on a regular basis, and I'm seeing the effects. Open mics are one thing, but slogging around to bar gigs, cold weather, beer, crowded stages, etc. is just more than I'm willing to put the guitar through.

(Plus, half of me just wants it because it's a DM sig. Although, I've been close to buying an 814ce and a 914ce on multiple occasions, so I actually do like the guitar for its merits.)

BTW, many people have some very nice guitars that have never left the house. I personally like to use my best stuff when I play out, but I'm not sure if I'm in the majority. I have a few vintage guitars that I don't take out, but other than that, the good stuff sees the light of day. As you can see though, it has kept me from buying even nicer stuff.

Last edited by KAK1154; 02-13-2012 at 03:46 PM.
KAK1154 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 03:52 PM   #67
DMBzilla
roar.
 
DMBzilla's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Bucks County, PA
Posts: 27,712

Shows Seen: 179

Re: DM3MD on eBay

Just heard back from Martin after providing the serial number.

Apparently it's what they call a "control number," which means something was added to the guitar (in this case, a sunburst top). So it was, in fact, manufactured by Martin, and for whatever reason they went with a sunburst on that specific guitar.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by crashintonickdm View Post
if you hate two step, it doesn't matter what else you do in life, you are a terrible human being.
DMBzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 07:38 PM   #68
cry_minarets458
MM#45-MVP Flacco Wacco
 
cry_minarets458's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Give me Gorge (ALPINE) or give me death
Posts: 15,196

Shows Seen: 50

Re: DM3MD on eBay

That's real cool. Thanks for following up zilla
__________________
Mao's WWYS Quest: fin @ show 39 MattsMarching 1 Gorge Medal
Quote:
Originally Posted by efraser77 View Post
*renounces DMB fandom*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prime Minister
In fairness Brian Wilson's Beard > Amy Winehouse & the grammys & spoot.
cry_minarets458 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 09:08 PM   #69
crashintonickdm
1%
 
crashintonickdm's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Pennsauken, NJ
Posts: 62,046

Shows Seen: 61

Re: DM3MD on eBay

so somebody had it refinished?
__________________
-Nick
Twitter

#myboat #health #surgery
crashintonickdm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 12:52 AM   #70
cry_minarets458
MM#45-MVP Flacco Wacco
 
cry_minarets458's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Give me Gorge (ALPINE) or give me death
Posts: 15,196

Shows Seen: 50

Re: DM3MD on eBay

Quote:
Originally Posted by crashintonickdm View Post
so somebody had it refinished?
No it sounds like Martin manufactured it, based on what Zilla has said. it's not a "serial number" per se because it's a special guitar? am i understanding that correctly, Zilla?
__________________
Mao's WWYS Quest: fin @ show 39 MattsMarching 1 Gorge Medal
Quote:
Originally Posted by efraser77 View Post
*renounces DMB fandom*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prime Minister
In fairness Brian Wilson's Beard > Amy Winehouse & the grammys & spoot.
cry_minarets458 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 02:44 AM   #71
MGH4007
dim5
 
MGH4007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 22,232

Shows Seen: 13

Re: DM3MD on eBay

Quote:
Originally Posted by crashintonickdm View Post
so somebody had it refinished?
Quote:
Originally Posted by cry_minarets458 View Post
No it sounds like Martin manufactured it, based on what Zilla has said. it's not a "serial number" per se because it's a special guitar? am i understanding that correctly, Zilla?

It had a serial number, but it sounds like their reference to "control number" was towards the sunburst meaning it was a one off (or very few) type of thing, maybe someone working for them wanted to try it with a different finish, or a representative wanted to see what it looked like with a sunburst finish with the possibility of making more in the future.

Either way I don't like sunburst finish's.
__________________
Pebbles and marbles,
like words from a friend
MGH4007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 08:27 AM   #72
unccrombie
Derelicte: It's Fashion
 
unccrombie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 32,453

Shows Seen: 40

Re: DM3MD on eBay

Quote:
Originally Posted by MGH4007 View Post
It had a serial number, but it sounds like their reference to "control number" was towards the sunburst meaning it was a one off (or very few) type of thing, maybe someone working for them wanted to try it with a different finish, or a representative wanted to see what it looked like with a sunburst finish with the possibility of making more in the future.

Either way I don't like sunburst finish's.
it had to be from the inside, right? I didn't think you could custom order a guitar like that. Either that or someone paid Martin to change it after stock?
__________________
John
SPAC | Darien | Bristow
unccrombie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 09:26 AM   #73
KAK1154
 
KAK1154's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Hamden, CT
Posts: 617

Shows Seen: 35
Send a message via AIM to KAK1154

Re: DM3MD on eBay

You could have custom ordered this with a sunburst finish; sounds like that's what the original buyer did. Or, like MGH said, it could have been just an experiment by an employee. (It has a low number in the series.)

JMO, but I'm not a fan of that finish. It's so dark around the outside, and fades so abruptly. Just looks weird to me.
KAK1154 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 01:39 PM   #74
unccrombie
Derelicte: It's Fashion
 
unccrombie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 32,453

Shows Seen: 40

Re: DM3MD on eBay

anyone know what it would cost to upgrade the electronics? for shits and giggles...
__________________
John
SPAC | Darien | Bristow
unccrombie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 02:51 PM   #75
MGH4007
dim5
 
MGH4007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 22,232

Shows Seen: 13

Re: DM3MD on eBay

Quote:
Originally Posted by unccrombie View Post
anyone know what it would cost to upgrade the electronics? for shits and giggles...
What type of guitar? What type of pick up system are you looking for? And are you looking to replace the whole thing? And who is your daddy? As with most any musical instrument (most, not all) the more you pay, the better it is.
__________________
Pebbles and marbles,
like words from a friend
MGH4007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 09:50 PM   #76
King of Men
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 689

Shows Seen: 0

Re: DM3MD on eBay

have have a 150 dollar yamaha that i've been playing for 4 years or so. dont see any reason to change
King of Men is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 12:39 AM   #77
hkyplayr10
 
hkyplayr10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Pa
Posts: 106

Shows Seen: 4

Re: DM3MD on eBay

Quote:
Originally Posted by King of Men View Post
have have a 150 dollar yamaha that i've been playing for 4 years or so. dont see any reason to change
Me too. Then I played a friends Martin. Now that $150 Yamaha sits in it's case.
hkyplayr10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 02:14 AM   #78
crashintonickdm
1%
 
crashintonickdm's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Pennsauken, NJ
Posts: 62,046

Shows Seen: 61

Re: DM3MD on eBay

for me, a 214e-G works perfectly.

i love the guitar and its bright taylor sound. F the haters.
__________________
-Nick
Twitter

#myboat #health #surgery
crashintonickdm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 06:38 PM   #79
hkyplayr10
 
hkyplayr10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Pa
Posts: 106

Shows Seen: 4

Re: DM3MD on eBay

Quote:
Originally Posted by crashintonickdm View Post
for me, a 214e-G works perfectly.

i love the guitar and its bright taylor sound. F the haters.
That's why you buy a certain guitar, because you love the tone, who cares what other people think.

I have a Martin DSR and love the thumping bass I get from it but I also have a Taylor GS Mini which I love for its size and it's brighter tone for fingerpicking.
hkyplayr10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 06:40 PM   #80
crashintonickdm
1%
 
crashintonickdm's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Pennsauken, NJ
Posts: 62,046

Shows Seen: 61

Re: DM3MD on eBay

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkyplayr10 View Post
That's why you buy a certain guitar, because you love the tone, who cares what other people think.

I have a Martin DSR and love the thumping bass I get from it but I also have a Taylor GS Mini which I love for its size and it's brighter tone for fingerpicking.
i had a GS mini for 2 weeks. couldnt get the correct sound with 3 diferent packs of strings.
__________________
-Nick
Twitter

#myboat #health #surgery
crashintonickdm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 06:43 PM   #81
hkyplayr10
 
hkyplayr10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Pa
Posts: 106

Shows Seen: 4

Re: DM3MD on eBay

Quote:
Originally Posted by crashintonickdm View Post
i had a GS mini for 2 weeks. couldnt get the correct sound with 3 diferent packs of strings.
What type of strings did you use?

I have D'Addario Ej17's on mine and found that they sound the best. I personally don't care for Elixir's and tried Martin SP4200s and didn't like them either.
hkyplayr10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 12:30 PM   #82
crashintonickdm
1%
 
crashintonickdm's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Pennsauken, NJ
Posts: 62,046

Shows Seen: 61

Re: DM3MD on eBay

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkyplayr10 View Post
What type of strings did you use?

I have D'Addario Ej17's on mine and found that they sound the best. I personally don't care for Elixir's and tried Martin SP4200s and didn't like them either.
elixar nano. mediums, medium-lights, phosphor bronze mediums.

couldnt get it to work. i love an extremely bright sound. i notice the 200, 400, 700 and 900 series fit this. the others are very warm. i love a non cutaway, so i picked up the 214 with electronics so i can obviously plug in. i dont care about exotic woods, so i dont need a 900 series, or even a 400 series. i got the 214e for 950 and i love it very much.

i also noticed the 200 series was upgraded a bit over the years. i dont remember it ever having gloss tops with indian rosewood on the back. thats what mine has though. theres indian rosewood on the 900 series, and thats a 4000 dollar guitar.
__________________
-Nick
Twitter

#myboat #health #surgery

Last edited by crashintonickdm; 02-26-2012 at 12:33 PM.
crashintonickdm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 11:45 PM   #83
thedak
 
thedak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 1,098

Shows Seen: 36

Re: DM3MD on eBay

Laminated Rosewood back and sides.
__________________
D&T - NOLA

DMB - SPAC - Deer Creek - Blossom - Starlake
thedak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 11:48 PM   #84
thedak
 
thedak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 1,098

Shows Seen: 36

Re: DM3MD on eBay

Since we are talking about GS Minis...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0195.jpg (76.9 KB, 49 views)
__________________
D&T - NOLA

DMB - SPAC - Deer Creek - Blossom - Starlake

Last edited by thedak; 02-26-2012 at 11:49 PM.
thedak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 11:10 PM   #85
crashintonickdm
1%
 
crashintonickdm's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Pennsauken, NJ
Posts: 62,046

Shows Seen: 61

Re: DM3MD on eBay

my fault for bashing martin.

i played a D28 tonight at guitar center. when i put it down, 45 minutes had gone by.
__________________
-Nick
Twitter

#myboat #health #surgery
crashintonickdm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 02:40 PM   #86
SomeDevil#41
 
SomeDevil#41's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 444

Shows Seen: 5

Re: DM3MD on eBay

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedak View Post
Since we are talking about GS Minis...
I have the same truss rod cover... Big Pimpin man, great minds think alike!
__________________
"Everything Tastes Better With Sauce" ~ Dave Matthews Caravan 06/25/11
SomeDevil#41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 04:02 PM   #87
Spell On Me
Invisible
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 9,609

Shows Seen: 0

Re: DM3MD on eBay

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeDevil#41 View Post
I have the same truss rod cover... Big Pimpin man, great minds think alike!
Where did you guys get them? I'd like one for mine.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by thesteveness View Post
Better than meating drum? I'm waxing my balls then Andy said he was licensed to perform colonoscopies and that I was overdue
Spell On Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 04:15 PM   #88
KAK1154
 
KAK1154's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Hamden, CT
Posts: 617

Shows Seen: 35
Send a message via AIM to KAK1154

Re: DM3MD on eBay

Me too. I bought mine from someone on here. I think it may have originated here: http://www.nicholsinlay.com/trcs.php
KAK1154 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 06:33 PM   #89
thedak
 
thedak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 1,098

Shows Seen: 36

Re: DM3MD on eBay

Yes

Bill Nichols
__________________
D&T - NOLA

DMB - SPAC - Deer Creek - Blossom - Starlake
thedak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 06:58 PM   #90
cry_minarets458
MM#45-MVP Flacco Wacco
 
cry_minarets458's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Give me Gorge (ALPINE) or give me death
Posts: 15,196

Shows Seen: 50

Re: DM3MD on eBay

Hey, I'd figure I'd just ask here instead of searching or starting a thread. The first tour that Dave featured the w65 12 string was the 2000 summer tour, right? If so, when did he get it/what year model is it? I think Taylor started making that model with the dark walnut in 1998? Is that the model year for Dave's? Just curious.
__________________
Mao's WWYS Quest: fin @ show 39 MattsMarching 1 Gorge Medal
Quote:
Originally Posted by efraser77 View Post
*renounces DMB fandom*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prime Minister
In fairness Brian Wilson's Beard > Amy Winehouse & the grammys & spoot.
cry_minarets458 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:44 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.


   
Site LinksAbout AntsAnts MobileTweet Tweet
Home
Ants+
Tour Central
Search bar
RSS Feeds
About Us
Contact Us
The Ants Blog
Advertise on Ants
Ants on your cell phone
iAnts
mobile news
mobile setlists
antslive!
Ants' Twitter
DMBLive Twitter
Matt's Twitter
Jake's Twitter
Joe's Twitter