Weightlifting - Page 2 - Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion
Old 09-10-2010, 09:13 AM   #31
pokerguy19

Shows Seen: 38

DMB Hub Stubs: 16

My Tour Central Stats

Re: Weightlifting

monday - friday as follows:

Bench press: 10 sets of 10 reps
Bicep Curl: 12 sets of 10 reps

On a serious note, the average gym rat will never get the gains they want because they don't work hard enough. I "lifted" for almost 2 years & barely saw gains.

started reading on the interwebz & started eating correctly, watched calories/ proteins/ fats/ carbs, stuck to compound lifts for over 1 year. 4 full body workouts a week, day of rest in between each session. no curls, or cable flys, etc.

gained almost 15 pounds with minimal fat, went from 155- about 170.

takes time & consistency. just my experience.

go to bodybuilding.com & read up on the whole "bulk & cutting"

good luck.

• Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here
  • Old 09-10-2010, 09:13 AM   #32
    Jimi Thing 10

Shows Seen: 22

DMB Hub Stubs: 14

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by esa008 View Post
    If you don't squat, you ain't squat. JK brah congrats on the gains, keep up the good work. Just take a multi and lift heavy, you should reach your goal in no time.
    It's true, though. Even for people who don't care about their legs or don't want to do squats, they're missing out on a lot more than just a leg workout. Same goes with deadlifts. Just about every muscle in your body is getting worked.

Edit: This is me talking before I go and squat lol

Last edited by Jimi Thing 10; 09-10-2010 at 09:15 AM.
    Jimi Thing 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-10-2010, 09:15 AM   #33
    pokerguy19

Shows Seen: 38

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jimi Thing 10 View Post
    It's true, though. Even for people who don't care about their legs or don't want to do squats, they're missing out on a lot more than just a leg workout. Same goes with deadlifts. Just about every muscle in your body is getting worked.

so true, squats are king
    Old 09-10-2010, 09:35 AM   #34
    koolout

Shows Seen: 0

DMB Hub Stubs: 1

My Tour Central Stats

squats do rock. during the offseason (winter) i hit the weight room 3 times per week, squats/leg press/step ups being my main focus. leg and core strength/endurance gains like mad. everything else is just touch ups, very light work on the "beach muscles".
    koolout is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-10-2010, 09:37 AM   #35
    LaunchOne
    omg w/e etc.

My Tour Central Stats

Anyone use Casein?

Just started it consistently a month ago. From what I understand, it's best to use whey right after workouts, and Casein right before bed, so that's the routine I've been on, but it's not working as well as I thought it would. I also will drink some Casein (with milk) as a meal replacement for breakfast or lunch on days that I don't lift, mainly on weekends. This stuff is all still pretty new to me, and honestly, just want to see if I'm using it correctly.
    Old 09-10-2010, 09:38 AM   #36
    jcc522
    Take Warning

Shows Seen: 3

DMB Hub Stubs: 3

My Tour Central Stats

Whey is a joke
    Old 09-10-2010, 10:06 AM   #37
    Crush086
    Eyes Wide Open

Shows Seen: 1

DMB Hub Stubs: 3

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    This. Shipping is off the hook with that place. It's amazing. They also offer free stuff if you're paying enough money, and then usually throw random stuff in the box anyway.

I've tried a sample of White Flood about a year ago. It was ok as I was into my workout, near the end I started seeing spots and when I got home I had the worst migraine ever. I drink a ton of water during my workouts so I don't know what that was about.

ON whey and casein have been my bread and butter when it comes to protein. Stuff is dirt cheap for the amount of servings and about as pure of a protein as you can find.
    Maybe you were sensitive to the stims or something in the WF. I usually workout on an empty stomach. If I were to eat I'd be getting up even earlier (probably 4:30AM), but my workouts haven't suffered any with the lack of food.
    Quote:

I love leg day. Reminds of the last time I went to the gym, and a couple douchebags I encountered.

So I get to the gym early and I'm about to start legs. I proceed to the squat racks (we only have 2 in the gym), and there's a person in each one. 1 guy is doing squats, the other guy is doing.......... curls in the squat rack. This guy is going all out too. In between the curls, he's doing Hammer Curls with some free weights. I'm a little aggravated at this, but I figure I'll just do another exercise and wait for him to finish.

So I do a couple sets of walking lunges (weighted), and the guy doing the squats is finished (but Mr. Curls is still going at it). So I start to proceed to the squat rack, and some old guy gets there shortly before me. I think to myself, "he got there first, I should've gotten there quicker" and I proceed to let him do his squats. Only problem with that was, he was doing curls in the squat rack too! Just so he could be closer to some young girl and chat. I was like, "is this real life?". Pisses me off when I run into those guys.
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by LaunchOne View Post
    Anyone use Casein?

Just started it consistently a month ago. From what I understand, it's best to use whey right after workouts, and Casein right before bed, so that's the routine I've been on, but it's not working as well as I thought it would. I also will drink some Casein (with milk) as a meal replacement for breakfast or lunch on days that I don't lift, mainly on weekends. This stuff is all still pretty new to me, and honestly, just want to see if I'm using it correctly.
    I used Casein too. I need to get a different flavor though. ON's Cookies And Cream tastes horrendous. The texture, mixed with both water and milk is borderline undrinkable for me. I have to gulp it down ASAP when I take it.
    Old 09-10-2010, 10:35 AM   #38
    matthewdaves187
    John 3:16

Shows Seen: 7

DMB Hub Stubs: 8

My Tour Central Stats

For a great workout try new 5-Hour Energy, which has the same caffeine as the leading premium cup-of-coffee, new 5-Hour Energy. Get sum.
    matthewdaves187 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-10-2010, 10:59 AM   #39
    esa008

Shows Seen: 26

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    It's true, though.
    Just threw that jk in there to not come off as calling the guy out. In all seriousness, squats are essential to a weightlifting routine and should not be overlooked. "If you don't squat you ain't squat" is what I tell myself every leg day.

Quote:
    Lifted legs Tuesday and I'm still sore. Feelsgoodman
    Old 09-10-2010, 11:30 AM   #40
    Jimi Thing 10

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by jcc522 View Post
    Whey is a joke
    Don't you have a hoax to keep up with?
    Quote:
    Anyone use Casein?

On my off days I drink my whey when I wake up since it's a fast acting protein. Ideally, you shouldn't use protein as a meal replacement, hence "supplement", but if you're going to use the casein it's best before bed like you already do, or if you know you won't be eating for awhile to give you a steady release of protein throughout that time.
    Old 09-10-2010, 11:35 AM   #41
    Jimi Thing 10

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Crush086 View Post
    Maybe you were sensitive to the stims or something in the WF. I usually workout on an empty stomach. If I were to eat I'd be getting up even earlier (probably 4:30AM), but my workouts haven't suffered any with the lack of food.

I love leg day. Reminds of the last time I went to the gym, and a couple douchebags I encountered.

So I get to the gym early and I'm about to start legs. I proceed to the squat racks (we only have 2 in the gym), and there's a person in each one. 1 guy is doing squats, the other guy is doing.......... curls in the squat rack. This guy is going all out too. In between the curls, he's doing Hammer Curls with some free weights. I'm a little aggravated at this, but I figure I'll just do another exercise and wait for him to finish.

So I do a couple sets of walking lunges (weighted), and the guy doing the squats is finished (but Mr. Curls is still going at it). So I start to proceed to the squat rack, and some old guy gets there shortly before me. I think to myself, "he got there first, I should've gotten there quicker" and I proceed to let him do his squats. Only problem with that was, he was doing curls in the squat rack too! Just so he could be closer to some young girl and chat. I was like, "is this real life?". Pisses me off when I run into those guys.

I used Casein too. I need to get a different flavor though. ON's Cookies And Cream tastes horrendous. The texture, mixed with both water and milk is borderline undrinkable for me. I have to gulp it down ASAP when I take it.
    It could have been something in the WF, I'm probably going to give it another try after I finish up with Jack3d.

People doing stuff other than squats or something like bb rows in the squat rack irritates me. It always always the same type of guys too.

I've been taking chocolate and peanut butter casein... amazing.
    Old 09-10-2010, 12:20 PM   #42
    jdbartender

Shows Seen: 29

DMB Hub Stubs: 9

My Tour Central Stats

Anyone buy into hst training?

http://www.hypertrophy-specific.com/hst_index.html

People who do it, swear by it.

I did it about three years ago, 2 rotations.

I was doing it to put on size but I actually lost 3 pounds.. However my strength went through the roof. I was stuck on doing 275 for my final bench set for like 4 or 5 reps for years. At the end of my second rotation - I was doing 315 for that.

Granted when I stopped HST training I went right back to where I was, but it was kind of cool.

BTW... BSN products FTW
    8/23/00 -7/30/01 - 7/28/02 - 7/29/02 - 12/17/02 - 8/27/03 - 8/28/03 - 8/30/03 -8/31/03 - 12/17/03 - 7/2/04 - 7/3/04 - 9/4/04- 09/5/04 - 7/30/05 -7/31/05 - 12/9/05 - 12/10/05 - 9/22/06 - 9/23/06 - 11/13/07 - 8/30/08 - 8/31/08 - 5/30/09 - 6/12/15 - 6/11/16 - 6/23/18
    jdbartender is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-10-2010, 01:51 PM   #43
    achtungbaby

Shows Seen: 19

DMB Hub Stubs: 6

My Tour Central Stats

I tried it a few years back and had great results too...mostly all strength and not much size which turned me off it. Superficial, I know. I have found in the last 3 or 4 months I have had the best results of my life doing a 4 day split (or 5 depending on circumstances) and using a pre- and intra-workout. I guess I just hit a zone or something but I'm happy.
    achtungbaby is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-10-2010, 02:26 PM   #44
    LaunchOne
    omg w/e etc.

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Don't you have a hoax to keep up with?

On my off days I drink my whey when I wake up since it's a fast acting protein. Ideally, you shouldn't use protein as a meal replacement, hence "supplement", but if you're going to use the casein it's best before bed like you already do, or if you know you won't be eating for awhile to give you a steady release of protein throughout that time.
    My problem is I'm having trouble getting to the suggested amount of protein on my off days without taking whey or casein. On days where I do lift, I automatically get 50+ grams of protein in whey and casein alone, but on off days I have no idea what to do.

So on off days, you take whey right when you wake up and no casein at all then?
    Old 09-10-2010, 02:56 PM   #45
    achtungbaby

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    My problem is I'm having trouble getting to the suggested amount of protein on my off days without taking whey or casein. On days where I do lift, I automatically get 50+ grams of protein in whey and casein alone, but on off days I have no idea what to do.

Diet is by far the hardest part of the fitness lifestyle or whatever you want to call it. I don't even want to think of how much better I would look if I was stricter with my diet. I find you learn little things along the way to boost your protein intake on training days or otherwise. Add a scoop of whey if you're having a glass of milk or a half cup of cattage cheese if you're having yogurt, for example. If I have to eat out I get extra meat or substitute it in for something else. Protein bars aren't a bad idea as long as they aren't full of sugar and fat. There's a lot of prep you can do as well...homemade protein bars, having chicken/pork/beef precooked and bringing it along as a snack. When I'm being particularly compliant to my diet I have found things like this help get my intake up.
    Old 09-10-2010, 03:12 PM   #46
    haybale97
    king of men

Shows Seen: 32

DMB Hub Stubs: 17

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by jpevear View Post
    I work one muscle every day, 5-6 days a week, for a minimum of an hour and a half. Since I started doing that, I've seen impressive gains. Would never go back to working two or three muscles per day. Besides, you are inadvertently working other muscle groups when focusing on one... ie. If your doing chest, you are also working your triceps and shoulders, but the main concentration is on the chest.
    there are a little bit less than 700 muscles in the human body. on a rough calculation, it would take you 117 weeks at 6 times a week to work all of them

but seriously, i'm against only working one muscle group mainly because i'm an athlete. it's jsut not functional

Out With Gout
    haybale97 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-11-2010, 04:30 PM   #47
    Jimi Thing 10

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:

Whey in the morning and casein before bed.
    Old 09-11-2010, 08:06 PM   #48
    koolout

My Tour Central Stats

The problem I have with the "one muscle group a day" way is that while it makes you look fit, you aren't actually fit, athletic or healthy. Many don't do any cardio and purposely "bulk" and "cut" in cycles. Terrible on the body. The body building lifestyle can be risky business, especially since the desire to become bigger is all that matters and can lead to even more dangerous things quickly. Health doesn't matter as long as you get bigger.
    koolout is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-11-2010, 08:31 PM   #49
    cry_minarets458
    MM#45 Wacco for Flacco

Location: Give me BETHEL or give me death.... death, death it is then

Shows Seen: 62

DMB Hub Stubs: 21

My Tour Central Stats

I just started going to the gym again last week..let's see how it goes.
    *renounces DMB fandom*
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prime Minister
    In fairness Brian Wilson's Beard > Amy Winehouse & the grammys & spoot.
    cry_minarets458 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-13-2010, 05:18 AM   #50
    jpevear

Shows Seen: 39

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by haybale97 View Post
    there are a little bit less than 700 muscles in the human body. on a rough calculation, it would take you 117 weeks at 6 times a week to work all of them

but seriously, i'm against only working one muscle group mainly because i'm an athlete. it's jsut not functional
    Well, like mentioned earlier, I'm focusing on a primary muscle per day, but secondary muscles are also getting worked out.

This method has worked very well for me. I used to go to the gym 3 times a week, just like every other Joe Schmoe, and do a 'full body workout' in two hours or so. Sure, I saw results but not the ones I wanted.

So, I changed my routine and the results have been great (for me). Mind you, I'm not an athlete, I'm a 35 year old desk jockey.

It all comes down to what works for the individual... and what i do seems to work great for me.
    jpevear is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-13-2010, 05:31 AM   #51
    jpevear

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by achtungbaby View Post
    Diet is by far the hardest part of the fitness lifestyle or whatever you want to call it. I don't even want to think of how much better I would look if I was stricter with my diet. I find you learn little things along the way to boost your protein intake on training days or otherwise. Add a scoop of whey if you're having a glass of milk or a half cup of cattage cheese if you're having yogurt, for example. If I have to eat out I get extra meat or substitute it in for something else. Protein bars aren't a bad idea as long as they aren't full of sugar and fat. There's a lot of prep you can do as well...homemade protein bars, having chicken/pork/beef precooked and bringing it along as a snack. When I'm being particularly compliant to my diet I have found things like this help get my intake up.

A friend of mine if a professional female bodybuilder. She eats 6 boiled
    chicken breasts a day (amongst other things). I would get sick of that, real quick.

My diet consists of:

Lifting Days:

6:00 AM - 3 egg whites, 1 egg, cheese, on two slices of whole wheat

8:30 AM - Protein Shake (Whey, Peanut Butter, banana, whole grain oats, Milk)

12:00 PM - Chicken Breast w/ vegetable or Ground Turkey Burger

2:00 PM - Couple scoops of peanut butter

2:45 PM - Jack3d & Creatine mix

3:30 PM - 5:30 PM Gym

5:40 PM - Whey Protein mixed with water

7:00/7:30 PM - Chicken breast vegetable
    Old 09-13-2010, 05:37 AM   #52
    jspampin

DMB Hub Stubs: 2

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Like you, I have a desk job and gained 40 lbs because of it. Instead of losing it, I decided to turn it into muscle. And, that's what I've been doing for the past 9 months.

My workout plan is pretty simple...

Day 1: Biceps
    Day 2: Chest
    Day 3: Shoulders
    Day 4: Triceps
    Rest (or not)
    Repeat Steps I through 4

Instead of White Flood, have you considered Jack3d? It's about $12 cheaper, no filler, and it gives you enough energy to easily go for 1.5 hours to 2 hours, and even longer if you take the recommended amount. I take 2 scoops with a scoop a creatine 45 minutes prior to my workout and the shit turns you into a monster.. very focused and tons of energy.

How is the Green Mag?

My intra-workout drink is Extend, which is chock full of Leucine, Glutamine, Isoleucine, and Valine. It's also a no filler supplement... no sugar, no stimulants.

And then of course, the protein drink post workout. I use Body Fortress. It's cheap and I've seen great results...not the cleanest protein, like Gaspari, but I like the price and taste. I just ordered 10 lbs from Wal-Mart online for $60
    You don't lift legs?
    jspampin is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-13-2010, 06:13 AM   #53
    jpevear

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by jspampin View Post
    You don't lift legs?
    No, I run/bike. I will incorporate legs into my workout this winter, though.
    Old 09-13-2010, 02:10 PM   #54
    achtungbaby

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    A friend of mine if a professional female bodybuilder. She eats 6 boiled
    chicken breasts a day (amongst other things). I would get sick of that, real quick.

My diet consists of:

Lifting Days:

6:00 AM - 3 egg whites, 1 egg, cheese, on two slices of whole wheat

8:30 AM - Protein Shake (Whey, Peanut Butter, banana, whole grain oats, Milk)

12:00 PM - Chicken Breast w/ vegetable or Ground Turkey Burger

2:00 PM - Couple scoops of peanut butter

2:45 PM - Jack3d & Creatine mix

3:30 PM - 5:30 PM Gym

5:40 PM - Whey Protein mixed with water

7:00/7:30 PM - Chicken breast vegetable
    your diet is pretty much perfect. Maybe a few carbs in your post-workout shake is all I would change.
    Old 09-13-2010, 02:20 PM   #55
    Jimi Thing 10

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by jdbartender View Post
    Anyone buy into hst training?

http://www.hypertrophy-specific.com/hst_index.html

People who do it, swear by it.

I did it about three years ago, 2 rotations.

I was doing it to put on size but I actually lost 3 pounds.. However my strength went through the roof. I was stuck on doing 275 for my final bench set for like 4 or 5 reps for years. At the end of my second rotation - I was doing 315 for that.

Granted when I stopped HST training I went right back to where I was, but it was kind of cool.

BTW... BSN products FTW
    I saw this posted on another forum earlier. It looks pretty sick. I'm gonna give it a go once the semester is over and I can get into the gym 5 days a week.

http://www.bodybuildingdungeon.com/f...y-routine.html
    Old 09-13-2010, 03:43 PM   #56
    jpevear

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    your diet is pretty much perfect. Maybe a few carbs in your post-workout shake is all I would change.

Why is that? Not being a smart ass, just curious. I used to mix in dextrose (corn sugar) with creatine in my post workout shake but stopped doing it. Maybe I should start up again.
    Old 09-13-2010, 05:35 PM   #57
    achtungbaby

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Why is that? Not being a smart ass, just curious. I used to mix in dextrose (corn sugar) with creatine in my post workout shake but stopped doing it. Maybe I should start up again.
    There's a window right after your workout that is a good time to get some carbs into your system since your bodies priority after a workout is to replenish glycogen stores used up by all the energy you needed to workout and repairing the 'damage' you've done to your muscles. If you don't get any carbs your body will convert protein to glucose instead of using it for muscle repair (which is secondary to fixing your depleted energy stores). The carbs (sugars) also encourage your body to secrete insulin which counteracts cortisol (the hormone that gets the protein to glucose cycle going). The dextrose you were using before is great for this.
    Old 09-14-2010, 04:29 AM   #58
    jpevear

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    There's a window right after your workout that is a good time to get some carbs into your system since your bodies priority after a workout is to replenish glycogen stores used up by all the energy you needed to workout and repairing the 'damage' you've done to your muscles. If you don't get any carbs your body will convert protein to glucose instead of using it for muscle repair (which is secondary to fixing your depleted energy stores). The carbs (sugars) also encourage your body to secrete insulin which counteracts cortisol (the hormone that gets the protein to glucose cycle going). The dextrose you were using before is great for this.
    Thanks for the info. I'll start back up with the dextrose.
    Old 09-14-2010, 08:06 AM   #59
    achtungbaby

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    I saw this posted on another forum earlier. It looks pretty sick. I'm gonna give it a go once the semester is over and I can get into the gym 5 days a week.

http://www.bodybuildingdungeon.com/f...y-routine.html
    Very interesting, I might try that out. Thanks for posting it
    Old 09-14-2010, 08:25 AM   #60
    thom hudson
    Cold Noses

Shows Seen: 26

DMB Hub Stubs: 13

My Tour Central Stats

did a pretty badass circuit this morning

i have a question about hose no2 supplements for anyone that's taken them regularly:

when you stop taking them, do you find yourself losing motivation?
    that happened to me about 2-3 yrs ago w/noxplode...i took it for a month (and my workouts were insane), then stopped, and felt my motivation level and strength decrease (rather quickly), which is why i am hesitant to take anything like that again

Last edited by thom hudson; 09-14-2010 at 08:27 AM.
    thom hudson is offline   Reply With Quote