Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion - View Single Post - DC Cinematic/TV Marthaverse Fandom (DCUc)
View Single Post
Old 04-30-2015, 05:14 AM   #101
M. Steng
Empowered & Informed.

Shows Seen: 21

DMB Hub Stubs: 14

My Tour Central Stats

Re: DC Cinematic/TV Universe Fandom (DCUc)

DC really is in a lose-lose here. If they copied Marvel's approach of establishing individual films first before the team-up, people would be complaining that they were ripping Marvel's approach off. They're trying a different approach, but are still getting criticized for it. I think it's a good thing to have director-centric films as it will give every film its own distinct flair rather than the same boring cookie-cutter approach Marvel has taken (except for Winter Soldier, for the most part).

I think DC/Warner know they have more recognizable characters from a pop culture perspective, so they're trying to capitalize on that. Like 95% of the country already knows who Superman and Batman are, and the percentage is likely not much smaller for Wonder Woman. Green Lantern was already introduced to the general public four years ago. The Flash and Aquaman are also pretty significant pop culture staples. Marvel was forced to take the approach they did and "build" their universe, because outside of The Hulk and Captain America, the non-comic book reading population had very little idea who Iron Man, Thor, Hawkeye, Nick Fury, Black Widow, et al. were.

I am slightly concerned that there seems to be a little bit of inner turmoil, but I'm not going to say I'm worried about it. My daily reminder: these movies are still a long, long ways off. Marvel has the benefit of the doubt because they did it first and have had a ton of financial success. As the newcomer, DC/Warner are going to have to prove that their method works, but it'll only be evident when the movies are actually released.