Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion - View Single Post - **Official Running Thread**
View Single Post
Old 03-20-2017, 11:15 AM   #3061
ToySoldier#34

Shows Seen: 37

DMB Hub Stubs: 18

My Tour Central Stats

Re: **Official Running Thread**

Quote:
Originally Posted by WidespreadMule3 View Post
Thanks! I've been trying to determine what kind of running style I have and if I'm landing properly. I was trying to gauge that on the treadmill yesterday. It looks like I'm doing a mid foot strike. I tried a heel strike and it hurt like crazy so I abandon that. The toe strike was really hard for me to do and threw me off more than it did good. I'm going to count my steps next time to ensure I'm hitting the 180 per minute to see about working on that.

So, the treadmill itself is a tough place to work on stride mechanics for most people, I would recommend going to a flat place outside where you can go back and forth about 100 meters. A straightaway on a track is the same distance if you have one available. Your body is moving forward and the road is coming at you so when you are landing with a heel strike it is the equivalent of driving with square wheels, you are running slower (breaking) and having all of the shock from the road go into your legs. You want to be running with a mid foot strike, to do so run tall and lean slightly forward without bending at the waist (this is where core strength comes into play) until you start to fall forward due to gravity. When doing so make sure your knees are high going forward, this gives you all of the room to come down on your mid foot and be pushing off when you land.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=82ghOr78FcU

The 180 steps per minute is a great goal, but at this stage don't worry about hitting the exact number as much as having an overall emphasis on higher cadence. You should always have a high cadence regardless of how fast or slow you are running.
ToySoldier#34 is online now   Reply With Quote