Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion - View Single Post - Chris Cornell dead at 52
View Single Post
Old 05-18-2017, 01:31 PM   #140
junior94
not a unique snowflake

Shows Seen: 2

DMB Hub Stubs: 4

My Tour Central Stats

Re: Chris Cornell dead at 52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodey View Post
Know a guy who saw him come out at Alpine for the PJ 20 tour to sing Hunger Strike. Said it was one of the coolest moments ever.
I recall Cornell putting out a rather coy sounding tweet back then, the day of the show. I mean, to those who were already heavily invested in the event, it was pretty obvious to what he was referring, but it was something like "plane just landed in Wisconsin... anything cool or interesting to do around here?"

The more I thought about all this today while at work and really let it sink in, and particularly now we have confirmation it was suicide, with my own depression history that I've had, I do understand how it ultimately seems such a thing would be possible. Just in that, how I was even reacting myself initially this morning, that "they just played a whole show last night, he sent an enthusiastic tweet out about it!" That how, even when you at any given time could be "happy" or doing relatively okay, still in less than a 24 hour period later (hell in this case under 12) you could make the decision 'alright this is the moment I'm doing this'. When you have the basis of it there existing in your system already, how quickly it could suddenly all overwhelm you enough to take that step.

though the primary thing I keep coming back to, that he picked as painful of a way that is to do it. Sure there are even more agonizing methods, but there are also quicker, less painful ones. But putting that together with some of the quotes from his between-song-banter last night, I wonder if he wasn't feeling a tremendous sense of guilt over hurting or disappointing someone very close to himself lately.

"Ohh, why do my actions have consequences?!?!" - Homer J. Simpson
junior94 is offline   Reply With Quote