Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion - View Single Post - **Official Running Thread**
View Single Post
Old 04-10-2017, 08:13 AM   #3081
whodat
CA Dreamin'

Shows Seen: 68

DMB Hub Stubs: 20

My Tour Central Stats

Re: **Official Running Thread**

Quote:
Originally Posted by WidespreadMule3 View Post
Competed in and finished my first race ever this morning. It was only a 5K but I'm incredible proud of it. This time last year I was walking around (unknowingly) on a fractured ankle. The recovery process was...extended, to say the least. Up until about a month ago I wasn't sure I could even complete a 5K because the pain never would really leave me. But about a month ago I took a big step back, adjusted my training and have eased back into it.

I finished this morning in 32 minutes and averaged about a 11-minute mile. I had set a goal for 36 minutes so I was very pleased. I'm normally a treadmill warrior so running on concrete definitely was a lot more brutal. My ankle held up great until I had a large downhill portion. I really noticed in that spot every step I really felt my ankle. Uphill wasn't so bad on it though.

All-in-all I haven't been this proud of myself in a long time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToySoldier#34 View Post
That's so great Mule, I really do love hearing people get into running and have early breakthrough experiences with it, congrats!
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmoothG View Post
Congratulations man. Good to hear stories like this.
Quote:
Originally Posted by WidespreadMule3 View Post
Thanks guys!

It's a really great feeling to have accomplished. I've been pretty sore and beat up since the race so I know I pushed myself a little harder than I should have but at least it lets me know where I stand as a whole in my training. Lots of ice, heat and foam rolling for me over the weekend and next few days.
Excellent work and awesome race! Be smart on the recovery, let your body repair after the effort. The rule of thumb is 1 day per mile for recovery. However, with it being your first, a little extra time off may be a good idea.