Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion - View Single Post - What traumatic events have shaped you as a person?
View Single Post
Old 11-28-2016, 09:25 PM   #17
jcc522
Take Warning

Shows Seen: 3

DMB Hub Stubs: 3

My Tour Central Stats

Re: What traumatic events have shaped you as a person?

My father passed away way too young. Pretty sure that caused me to lose whatever little faith I had. I started drinking heavily right after his death so that I could pass out and sleep better, hopefully, to have dreams about him. Couldn't think right, had to withdrawal from school, started putting on a little extra weight from the drinking, didn't want to be sober at all, etc. Super depressed and shit. At one point, I was drinking a pint of bourbon, then riding my bicycle to the store to by tall boys. Still upset that my future children will never get to know first hand how much or great guy he was. Anyway, I was doing pretty shitty and went and saw a Broadway production of The Lion King. I shit you not, that live performance of 'He Lives In You" changed my life. Great performance and message and I started getting my shit back together. Started trying in school again, found an outlet and changed my major to something that I love. Started do little things that he liked that have ended up bettering myself, the community, and kinda carry on the legacy he left. I still struggle with alcoholism(no, fuckers, I dont carry guns when I'm drunk, I'm sure you were wondering) and probably have had less than 30 days since October of '15 where I haven't consumed alcohol, but, while I used to get just absolutely hammered shitty drunk 7 days a week, I now get drunk probably once a week and only shitty drunk on holidays. Not good, but better.

Cliffs: go see Lion King