Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion - View Single Post - Proof Of The New Theory: Unreleased Songs IS The Album
View Single Post
Old 02-08-2012, 12:37 AM   #1
vegeevore

Shows Seen: 48

DMB Hub Stubs: 18

My Tour Central Stats

Proof Of The New Theory: Unreleased Songs IS The Album

I have come to realize that there are now TONS of indications pointing toward the possibility that the new album is an album of unreleased songs in the DMB catalog. I think it would be interesting if we compiled a list of all of these tips and hints that could support this theory, looking back from this point in time. I definitely think topic of discussion warrants a new thread. Hear me out.

Allow me to start with some of the things that come to my mind (please correct me if any of these are factually incorrect):

* It is widely understood that the band did not enter the studio before January 2012. Based on the recent past, the preferred writing environment for DMB has been as a group in the studio (versus Dave writing entire DMB songs on his own in his house). Thus, it appears to be a safe assumption that very little new material was written before January 2012.

* Rashawn's new video indicates that ALL of the horn parts have been recorded, are finished, and were laid down in just 6 hours. The band entered the studio around 5 weeks ago. If we assume that they didn't write much material before January 2012, that gives them 5 weeks to be very far in the writing and recording process. Compare that to the Big Whiskey sessions, which lasted over multiple years. (video link: https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=3294899781819)

* Stefan and Lillywhite's activity on Twitter seem to indicate that the full band is not grinding it out 24/7 in the studio every day. Stefan seems to be out and about in the Seattle area quite a bit, and Lillywhite posted "no band in today... just me and the new tunes !!" on Jan 28. This jives with what Rashwan indicated in the video regarding the horn parts already being done.

* At this stage in their careers, DMB members are likely not going to want to put out subpar work. More so, Steve Lillywhite is not going to want to put out subpar work. This is not going to be another Everday, where it was recorded in half an hour, or something of the likes. It seems unlikely that they would write and record an entire album's worth of new material in such a short amount of time, given these points. However, recording an entire album's worth of new material in 5 weeks for a quality album sounds about right if you already have the songs written.

* At the end of the 2011 NYC Caravan, Dave commented that there will be new music next year. While Dave's words shouldn't be taken too literally because he is Dave, this does imply that he was expecting to return to play new material in the 2012 album year. While this could mean a lot of things, it does support the theory that an album would be released before the 2012 summer tour. It is impossible to release an album unless it has been recorded in full several months in advance.

* DMB is at a point in time where they have accumulated a great deal of quality unreleased songs. It would make sense at this point in their careers to release an album consisting of such songs. They have a wide selection to choose from. Why not bring back a quality producer and make a good album out of their written work? DMB also knows which of those songs are loved and more well received than others.

* DMB has toyed with and unearthed many of these unreleased songs in 2010 and in 2011. Think about it...Sugar Will, Idea Of You, Joyride, Kill The King, Break Free, Shotgun, Good Good Time, Sweet Up And Down, etc. were all played in 2010 and 2011. Even Granny received a ton of plays in 2012, relatively speaking.

Anybody else got anything to add to that to fuel this theory?
vegeevore is offline   Reply With Quote