Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion - View Single Post - AFTW overrated because of Lillywhite?
View Single Post
Old 02-03-2017, 01:52 PM   #187
KevinTH
KevinTH5

Shows Seen: 33

DMB Hub Stubs: 16

My Tour Central Stats

Re: AFTW overrated because of Lillywhite?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSSR View Post
People aren't beating down management's door to release '12-'16 shows with heavy AFTW content in the setlist. How else do you explain that?
I like Big Whiskey, but I understand many others do not. But you can argue that those songs are included '12-'16 and could be a reason why. There's the Alpine show from '12 that people have been pining after, then there's the Camden show from '13 that people also want released, as well as Hartford show from that year. Actually, there's a handful of shows from '13 I've seen tossed around, and that was the first full summer tour after AFTW was released. I'd also argue that LT 29 was one of the better received Live Trax in the past few years, and that comes from 2013. I don't think people not "beating down managements door to release '12-'16 shows" has much to do with Away From the World at all. If you're going to say '12-'16, then you may as well lump '05-'11 in there too. Aside from a show here and there from the Caravan tour, maybe one or two shows from '06, '08 and '10 I don't see many shows from '05-'16 being requested too much. But there are shows here and there. But I think that's mainly to do with the fact that people have grown tired of the Big Whiskey tunes and the heavier sound of the band. If anything the tunes from Away From the World sound more like DMB than anything they've released in the past 10 years.

The problem is the band playing songs like Grey Street at warp speed and with no dynamics. People complain about variety in the set lists as well, the verdict on Rashawn is still pretty split, people have grown tired of Tim Reynolds, the 2015 songs didn't hit very hard and then there's the fact that you can barely hear anything Boyd plays unless he's soloing. So to blame the lack of requests for Live Trax that come from the more recent years on Away From the World is completely unfair in my opinion. There's MANY other factors at play. Note that these are not necessarily my opinions, but what I've seen around the boards over the years.
KevinTH is offline   Reply With Quote