Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion - View Single Post - How often do you go out to eat/eat takeout?
View Single Post
Old 03-08-2017, 09:11 PM   #147
jjr4884

Shows Seen: 70

DMB Hub Stubs: 18

My Tour Central Stats

Re: How often do you go out to eat/eat takeout?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee3691 View Post
People from Italy

Salse translation is sauce

Just curious on how that term was generated, since it's not an actual Italian thing. At least in Southern Italy, where my FIL was born and raised, and we still have a ton of family (100+ cousons, zias, zios), it's not a term. What part of Italy is your family from?

I'll clarify some things in this thread. Fellow RI Italian here.

The term gravy was lost in translation when Italians came over and learned English. Very simple common mistake.

Nowadays the term "gravy" (Sunday gravy) implies that you are making a meat based sauce. You sauté braciole, pork, sausage... brown the bottom of a pan, toss in some onions and garlic, then tomatoes. The meat goes back in, and you cook it for several hours (gotta stir it a lot) then you let it simmer for another couple hours.

I cut up chunks of pepperoni as well, it's the best part. Also, pan fry meatballs, cook them about half way, then throw them in the "sauce" with all the other meat. FYI this is done in a big ass pot with at least 4-5 cans of (Pastene or San Marzano) tomatoes

Upon serving you take most of the meat out and set aside, and the "gravy" is just tossed with pasta. Utensils include a fork, spoon (for angel hair) and a slice of Italian bread cut nice nice. Few bottles of homemade red wine on the table, and there ya have it

In no way shape or form is any other sauce called "gravy"

Marinara is a fresh tomato sauce, I usually top mine with basil and garlic toasted bread crumbs.

Sauces like al'amatriciana and bolognese is still a "sauce" by definition.

The term "Sunday gravy" stems from it usually being made on a Sunday since, well Sunday was the only day you could make it. It takes north of 8 hours after prep/cook/simmering times, Sunday was the only day of the week and in a traditional America-Italian household your large family dinner was on a Sunday afternoon.

Someone mentioned raisins before in the braciole. My nana used to put them in her meatballs and they were effing incredible.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk