Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion - View Single Post - I can pretty comfortably say that Baby Blue is Big 3 good
View Single Post
Old 06-07-2009, 05:50 PM   #57
Statechamp41
Two-Headed Boy

Shows Seen: 1

DMB Hub Stubs: 4

My Tour Central Stats

Re: I can pretty comfortably say that Baby Blue is Big 3 good

I really think all of you are wrong.

I think Baby Blue is the worst track on the album. (As in, it is the only one I don't like.)

Yes, the Roi connection, yes Dave pouring his soul out...but...the melody isn't that good, and the lyrics don't really do anything for me.

I'm sorry to be so negative in a positive thread (I usually hate it when people do that) but I really do feel this way. Maybe it will grow on me, but, honestly I kind of hope it doesn't.

It is probably because I can't connect with it - it is SO personal that nothing he is saying connects with me at all. Yes I was sad when Roi died but, like, I didn't know him - he was just this guy who played amazing sax in my favorite band. And so, all I hear when I hear this song is vocals/melody which I don't really like over music which doesn't really do anything for me.

I am glad that so many people like this song and so many of the other songs on Big Whiskey but I'm just not so sure about this song. It will probably be written about as a "fan favorite" by some writer who makes the connection between it and LeRoi but I will not be one of those fans who consider it a favorite.