Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion - View Single Post - Live Trax Volume 41 D&T 3/13/99
View Single Post
Old 03-14-2017, 07:54 AM   #102
robby_idol

Shows Seen: 14

DMB Hub Stubs: 6

My Tour Central Stats

Re: Live Trax Volume 41 D&T 3/13/99

Quote:
Originally Posted by chadizzy1 View Post
Only one example comes to mind for me. December 21st, 2012. That was the date the Mayan calendar supposedly predicted the end of the world. They opened the show with When The World Ends.

http://dmbalmanac.com/TourShowSet.as...118&where=2012

I would say that was blind luck, but:

1. It was the first time they opened with that song since 2003
2. It had only been played like 5 times in 2012
3. That was the only time it was played in the winter tour.

So I think that was special consideration for that day/song. But that's the only one I can think of
Good find

Honestly, the 12/21/12 apocalypse idea was so prevalent in societal culture - not just DMB fandom - that it makes sense Dave's dark sense of humor would open with WTWE.

But that's Dave commenting on society through his music. He does that often - performing lyrically significant songs at political fundraisers, dedicating songs to certain people to bring awareness to their struggles, interpolating or performing whole covers by musicians who recently passed away, etc.

Dave seems like a humble guy. He's all about using his music to bring attention to or celebrate others; but within his own universe, he's never been (to my knowledge) someone to put special emphasis on his own work. We never got an album anniversary tour where they played an entire album from start to finish like so many bands do these days, he didn't do much to acknowledge their 25th anniversary tour...

The closest he's come is picking through the notes of #34 in honor of Leroi now and then, but again, that's using his music to celebrate someone else, not himself.

It's a long way of saying, I imagine that Live Trax are at the bottom of the barrel in terms of the band's (and by proxy, their management's) interest in creating 'special' occurrences. They try to pick good shows that fans will want, but connecting numbered songs to star alignments is the work of fans, not the band, and never has been.
robby_idol is offline   Reply With Quote