Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion - View Single Post - Weightlifting
Thread: Weightlifting
View Single Post
Old 10-05-2010, 10:42 AM   #126
Crush086
Eyes Wide Open

Shows Seen: 1

DMB Hub Stubs: 3

My Tour Central Stats

Re: Weightlifting

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpevear View Post
Anyone got a tested cutting regime/diet they recommend? From October to December I'm going to focus on getting rid of some the excess fat around the mid section, plus I want to be a bit more cut in the shoulder/tricep region.

Right now I've cut down on calories...

-Eating two scoops of protein with a banana and some milk for breakfast. (6:00am)
-Apple (8:00AM)
-Banana (10:00 AM)
Lunch 12:00 (Veggie burger on multiwheat sandwich round. Toppings include 1 slice of provolone, 2 sandwich sliced pickles)
-Pear (2:00 PM)
-Chicken breast with vegetables (6:30/7:00 PM)

I've cut out about 700 calories in protein (from shake, peanut butter) from my normal diet.

Any help, thoughts, suggestions.

As for workout routine. How should I change it up?

Currently I work 1 muscle group per day for an hour to an hour and a half, followed by abs (4 times a week.) Going to start doing cardio this week on the treadmill. 1st week will be geared towards letting my body get used to running. Once thats done I'm going to do 1 minute sprints (9mph) followed by 1 minute jog (6mph) and repeat for 15 minutes. My goal is to make it up to 30 minutes.
At first glance it doesn't look like you're going to be able to get your protein for the day with that diet. Looking at the scoops of protein, the chicken breast and veggie burger I'd guess you'll hit 100g or so a day in protein. You might want to consider replacing some of the fruit with some tuna or eggs. Besides, if you workout in the morning you're likely going to be starving eating mostly fruit for breakfast. You'll want to try to aim for at least 1g of protein per lb. of lean body mass to preserve the muscle since you'll be eating on a deficit.

I lost 40lbs. this year (in about 6 months), and my diet looked something like this. First thing, however, is you want to find you maintenance level (you probably already know this, but it's good info for anyone not aware). I started here:

http://www.freedieting.com/tools/calorie_calculator.htm

Once I found my maintenance, I knocked about 500 calories off. So with a diet of about 1800 calories, this is how my day usually goes.

Morning: Post workout shake (2 scoops of ON comes out to about 200 calories and 48g protein). Other foods were tuna or chicken and egg burritos, or even just a couple of peanut butter sandwiches.

Mid Morning Snack: Almonds or peanuts. Maybe a protein bar, or some Optimum Nutrition Oats & Whey.

Lunch: Either Subway (except Tuesday; also getting it on wheat, with no liquid toppings. Only lettuce, onion, bell peppers, jalapenos and black pepper. Also get the Baked Lays instead of regular chips). Or I'd bring leftovers from the night before, which was pretty much always chicken, pork, or steak (lunch is 50g protein easily on those days).

I rarely get hungry after lunch, so I'd usually not eat until dinner, which again would be meat of some sort.

My diet was very clean, and workouts didn't change much. Also bear in mind that I didn't frequently get to 1800 calories. I hovered mostly around 1500-1600 daily, so I lost a bit more than 1lb. a week typically. It's slowed since I'm nearing the end, but I'm still seeing improvements in the mirror (definition, vascularity, waist size, etc.).